PDA

View Full Version : Condi Rice: USA still has trouble dealing with race because of slavery

dirk digler
03-28-2008, 08:50 AM
I hate bringing up the race issue but I thought this was interesting. It appears Obama and Condi are in total agreement.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/FOREIGN/746301768/1001

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said yesterday that the United States still has trouble dealing with race because of a national "birth defect" that denied black Americans the opportunities given to whites at the country's very founding.

"Black Americans were a founding population," she said. "Africans and Europeans came here and founded this country together Europeans by choice and Africans in chains. That's not a very pretty reality of our founding."

As a result, Miss Rice told editors and reporters at The Washington Times, "descendants of slaves did not get much of a head start, and I think you continue to see some of the effects of that."

"That particular birth defect makes it hard for us to confront it, hard for us to talk about it, and hard for us to realize that it has continuing relevance for who we are today," she said.

Race has become an issue in this year's presidential campaign, which prompted a much-discussed speech last week by Sen. Barack Obama, one of the two remaining contenders for the Democratic nomination.

Miss Rice declined to comment on the campaign, saying only that it was "important" that Mr. Obama "gave it for a whole host of reasons."

But she spoke forcefully on the subject, citing personal and family experience to illustrate "a paradox and contradiction in this country," which "we still haven't resolved."

On the one hand, she said, race in the U.S. "continues to have effects" on public discussions and "the deepest thoughts that people hold." On the other, "enormous progress" has been made, which allowed her to become the nation's chief diplomat.

Taco John
03-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Why is Condi such a racist?

/Hypeventillating Obama hater

BucEyedPea
03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Well Condi is a liberal RINO republican then.

Fishpicker
03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
did she just imply that being Black is a birth defect? sheeesh.

ClevelandBronco
03-28-2008, 09:16 AM
did she just imply that being Black is a birth defect? sheeesh.

No, she said that our nation was defective at its birth.

Fishpicker
03-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I assume thats what she meant but that quote is chopped up and could be read either way.

ClevelandBronco
03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
I assume thats what she meant but that quote is chopped up and could be read either way.

I can't see how.

Fishpicker
03-28-2008, 09:31 AM
look at the sequence

"descendants of slaves did not get much of a head start, and I think you continue to see some of the effects of that."

"That particular birth defect makes it hard for us to confront it, hard for us to talk about it, and hard for us to realize that it has continuing relevance for who we are today,"

Taco John
03-28-2008, 09:39 AM
I wish that instead of attacking him for his pastor and opening the door to all these race issues, people would be attacking Barack Obama for how much he wants to grow government.

pikesome
03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I wish that instead of attacking him for his pastor and opening the door to all these race issues, people would be attacking Barack Obama for how much he wants to grow government.

Pay no attention to that issue behind the curtain.

Probably because McCain is looking to do some too.

pikesome
03-28-2008, 09:48 AM
I wonder if this isn't positioning for a McCain/Rice vs Obama/some white guy general election.

Alphaman
03-28-2008, 09:57 AM
I wonder if this isn't positioning for a McCain/Rice vs Obama/some white guy general election.

If we honestly assess that race will play a role when the curtain closes, Rice as the VP of choice may actually hurt McCain.

pikesome
03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
If we honestly assess that race will play a role when the curtain closes, Rice as the VP of choice may actually hurt McCain.

I don't really think it will. Sure there'll be a lot of pissing and moaning but in the end there's so many other issues.

ClevelandBronco
03-28-2008, 10:38 AM
look at the sequence

"descendants of slaves did not get much of a head start, and I think you continue to see some of the effects of that."

"That particular birth defect makes it hard for us to confront it, hard for us to talk about it, and hard for us to realize that it has continuing relevance for who we are today,"

Thanks, but I wasn't asking for you to explain your mistake. It's no big deal.

Iowanian
03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Do descendants of slaves have a disadvantage more difficult to overcome than immigrants?

I still say slavery sucked, was a pox on our history, but at that time in the world, it wasn't exactly an uncommon practice. Many other cultural groups experienced extreme discrimination early on. What I can't figure out is why Chinese Railroad workers, Italians, Irish, German immigrants in the early 1900's, as well as the asian and hispanic people who come here, or the cuban who floats over on an inflated garbage bag, are able to overcome the adversity.

I'm also trying to think of a better nation in the world to live for black people? Where else do more opportunities and freedoms exist today?

SBK
03-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Do descendants of slaves have a disadvantage more difficult to overcome than immigrants?

I still say slavery sucked, was a pox on our history, but at that time in the world, it wasn't exactly an uncommon practice. Many other cultural groups experienced extreme discrimination early on. What I can't figure out is why Chinese Railroad workers, Italians, Irish, German immigrants in the early 1900's, as well as the asian and hispanic people who come here, or the cuban who floats over on an inflated garbage bag, are able to overcome the adversity.

I'm also trying to think of a better nation in the world to live for black people? Where else do more opportunities and freedoms exist today?

Someone has to vote democrat. :D

Something I've always wondered is why today's black community doesn't recognize the wonderful life and opportunities that are available to them because of this wrong.

I doubt there are many Jews that hate living in Israel today, and would claim it to be dysfunctional from the start. Without the holocaust Israel would still be called Palestine.

There's lots of bad that has happened in the past, it's just sad that so many people refuse to see the good that comes from it.

Logical
03-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Someone has to vote democrat. :D

Something I've always wondered is why today's black community doesn't recognize the wonderful life and opportunities that are available to them because of this wrong.

I doubt there are many Jews that hate living in Israel today, and would claim it to be dysfunctional from the start. Without the holocaust Israel would still be called Palestine.

There's lots of bad that has happened in the past, it's just sad that so many people refuse to see the good that comes from it.Are you seriously comparing a peoples who were given their own country to people who still suffer some from the oppression of racism, seriously??

mikey23545
03-29-2008, 10:51 PM
The "whine gene" was genetically engineered and implanted by liberals, and is now a congenital "birth defect" of almost all American blacks....

It was harvested from the female genome where it has existed since the dawn of time...

unlurking
03-30-2008, 12:39 AM
The "whine gene" was genetically engineered and implanted by liberals, and is now a congenital "birth defect" of almost all American blacks....

It was harvested from the female genome where it has existed since the dawn of time...
ROFL

unlurking
03-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Are you seriously comparing a peoples who were given their own country to people who still suffer some from the oppression of racism, seriously??
What the **** are you talking about?!?!

You are absolutely ****ing retarded if you don't think EVERYONE is discriminated against for something in this day and age.

He's too fat.
Her tits are too small.

**** you for BEING the one perpetuating racism by enabling the co-dependant victim mentality.

Oh, and how many people DIED to be GIVEN their own country?!?! Hyberbole much?

go bowe
03-30-2008, 02:17 PM
What the **** are you talking about?!?!

You are absolutely ****ing retarded if you don't think EVERYONE is discriminated against for something in this day and age.

He's too fat.
Her tits are too small.

**** you for BEING the one perpetuating racism by enabling the co-dependant victim mentality.

Oh, and how many people DIED to be GIVEN their own country?!?! Hyberbole much?enabling the co-dependent victim mentality?

dayum, you sound just like dr. phil...

btw, the only country i know of that was "given" to people is israel...

and yes lots of people died in the process (and are still dying)...

and, yes, i'm retarted too... :toast: :toast: :toast:

SBK
03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Are you seriously comparing a peoples who were given their own country to people who still suffer some from the oppression of racism, seriously??

Do you think that the decedents of slaves in this country would have a better life, and more opportunity anywhere in Africa?

BucEyedPea
03-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Hey!:cuss:

Baby Lee
03-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey!:cuss:

They didn't take ALL of it, you still have plenty. ;)

Logical
03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Do you think that the decedents of slaves in this country would have a better life, and more opportunity anywhere in Africa?

You do realize there are other places where blacks live that just the US and Africa?

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2008, 08:11 PM
As Herm would say, "Get Over It"...

SBK
03-30-2008, 09:55 PM
You do realize there are other places where blacks live that just the US and Africa?

I didn't realize that slaves were taken from Norway and Sweden. You're such a douche. From my post....

You need to rush to the doc and clean your sandy giner out. Senile old fart.

And out of curiosity, where in the world do you think that the slaves in this country were brought over from? France?

Chiefmanwillcatch
03-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Blacks did not create this country. Sorry.

Condi Rice sounds like another affirmative action baby.

She needs to study asians who come here with less than what poor blacks have.

Just more whining about race for sympathy and government action programs.

They can say all this crap because no one stands up to them.

BECAUSE THEY WILL BE LABELED RACIST. BITCH NEEDS TO SHUTUP.

If you hate this country then get the F*** out! Move to Mexico where there is real poverty.

Logical
03-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I didn't realize that slaves were taken from Norway and Sweden. You're such a douche. From my post....

You need to rush to the doc and clean your sandy giner out. Senile old fart.

And out of curiosity, where in the world do you think that the slaves in this country were brought over from? France?

You are making a false argument, that people are better off because they were the progeny of slaves, as if the slaves might not have migrated elsewhere in the world besides Africa. Sorry but I am not buying it.

pr_capone
03-31-2008, 01:05 AM
You are making a false argument, that people are better off because they were the progeny of slaves, as if the slaves might not have migrated elsewhere in the world besides Africa. Sorry but I am not buying it.

Key word there is *MIGHT*. Feel free to disagree with me if you like but the likely hood of all the people who were forcibly taken out of Africa (OFTEN BEING SOLD INTO SLAVERY BY THEIR OWN PEOPLE) immigrating out of Africa are slim to nil. Chances are that the majority of those families would still be scraping mud to build walls for their homes and drinking from the same body of water that the livestock piss and shit in.

A person can hem and haw all they want about the past... what could have happened if things had been different.

The truth of the matter is that slavery happened. Deal with it. A person can bitch all they want and demand reparations all day long. A person can denounce the US government for having taken an active role in slavery... people being removed from their home land. They can whine, bitch, and moan all they want... but it does not change there here and now.

A person can either wait for a hand out, wait for reparations, wait for the 1st of the month to roll around, OR... they can take an active part in society and try to improve things in the world so their kids don't have to deal with the shit they have had to put up with.

I am so f*cking sick and tired about hearing about how the blacks in the US are so f*cking downtrodden. There are thousands, if not millions, of other immigrants who come here with less and manage to make something out of themselves despite any perceived racism.

By the way.... I have often heard the "black community" itching about the US and slavery. How come we never hear them bitching about:

* The other Africans who sold their countrymen into slavery?

* The French who participated in the slave trade?

* The Brittish who participated in the slave trade?

* The Spanish (Spain) who participated in the slave trade?

* The Dutch who participated in the slave trade?

* The Potuguese who participated in the slave trade?

Why is it only America that owes? Why is it only America that gets that black eye?

"Bush hates black people".... BULLSHIT. If Bush hates black people because of what happened in New Orleans, then Bush hates Spics because he is trying to limit how many of them cross the border illegally.... even if they are looking for "a better life".

And as a Spic myself.... GOOD ON HIM. Keep the f*ckers out until they learn that there is a process to get in and you have to wait just like everyone else that wants in.

[/rant]

KCChiefsMan
03-31-2008, 02:31 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C0f2dHJ6A18&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C0f2dHJ6A18&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

SBK
03-31-2008, 08:51 AM

You have lost your mind. RIP logical.

patteeu
03-31-2008, 10:26 AM

Old news. I hardly even notice anymore.

Otter
03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
:deevee:

Can I start a white group where if you can prove your ancestors had nothing to do with slavery and didn't arrive in the United States until it was well over we can be exempt from dealing with this whining bullshit that should have been water under the bridge a long time ago?

StcChief
03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
In the words of Herm: Get over it

Logical
03-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Key word there is *MIGHT*. Feel free to disagree with me if you like but the likely hood of all the people who were forcibly taken out of Africa (OFTEN BEING SOLD INTO SLAVERY BY THEIR OWN PEOPLE) immigrating out of Africa are slim to nil. Chances are that the majority of those families would still be scraping mud to build walls for their homes and drinking from the same body of water that the livestock piss and shit in.

A person can hem and haw all they want about the past... what could have happened if things had been different.

The truth of the matter is that slavery happened. Deal with it. A person can bitch all they want and demand reparations all day long. A person can denounce the US government for having taken an active role in slavery... people being removed from their home land. They can whine, bitch, and moan all they want... but it does not change there here and now.

A person can either wait for a hand out, wait for reparations, wait for the 1st of the month to roll around, OR... they can take an active part in society and try to improve things in the world so their kids don't have to deal with the shit they have had to put up with.

I am so f*cking sick and tired about hearing about how the blacks in the US are so f*cking downtrodden. There are thousands, if not millions, of other immigrants who come here with less and manage to make something out of themselves despite any perceived racism.

By the way.... I have often heard the "black community" itching about the US and slavery. How come we never hear them bitching about:

* The other Africans who sold their countrymen into slavery?

* The French who participated in the slave trade?

* The Brittish who participated in the slave trade?

* The Spanish (Spain) who participated in the slave trade?

* The Dutch who participated in the slave trade?

* The Potuguese who participated in the slave trade?

Why is it only America that owes? Why is it only America that gets that black eye?

"Bush hates black people".... BULLSHIT. If Bush hates black people because of what happened in New Orleans, then Bush hates Spics because he is trying to limit how many of them cross the border illegally.... even if they are looking for "a better life".

And as a Spic myself.... GOOD ON HIM. Keep the f*ckers out until they learn that there is a process to get in and you have to wait just like everyone else that wants in.

[/rant]
Very nice rant, totally off subject, but nice rant. No one has been talking about reperations, least of all me. I don't know how you got on to that topic.

Logical
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM

Your failure to grasp such a simple concept is not an indication that their is a lack of logic, but a sign their is a shortcoming in your ability to grasp the topic.

pr_capone
03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Very nice rant, totally off subject, but nice rant. No one has been talking about reperations, least of all me. I don't know how you got on to that topic.

I love how out of all that... the only thing you keyed on was reparations. lol It was a small part of a greater whole.

Logical
03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
I love how out of all that... the only thing you keyed on was reparations. lol It was a small part of a greater whole.
Maybe because you keyed in on it at least 3 times and devoted one entire paragraph to the subject.

As to why don't they complain about all those other countries, I can only speculate but I would guess because we live in the US?

As to race in general, I did not see any distinction in Obama or Rice's speech that indicate only Blacks suffer from racial prejudice, in fact Obama's specifically talked about all prejudices including the reverse prejudices that whites may suffer.

Finally I really don't see Bush trying to stop the influx of illegal immigrants (no matter what the race) across our borders, in fact don't we constantly hear how nothing is being done?

I did not address these other issues because they seemed minor and directed at support of your ire at the possibility of reperations. Surely you don't think that only blacks receive preference for college admissions, jobs, promotions, and those monthly assistance checks????

pr_capone
03-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Surely you don't think that only blacks receive preference for college admissions, jobs, promotions, and those monthly assistance checks????

Have you ever heard of a Caucasian Scholarship Fund? Here is what happens when one gets set up.... even when it sets out to prove how idiotic racially based scholarships are.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/national_world&id=4795617

Now... have you heard of a scholarship fund that is only for blacks?

http://www.uncf.org/

How about ones that are only for Hispanics?

http://www.hsf.net/

What about Asian?

http://www.apiasf.org/

How about W.E.C (White Entertainment Channel... and no, CMT does not count)?

Of course not.... but B.E.T (Black Entertainment Television) is perfectly acceptable, right?

I am just sick and tired of hearing http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Tonito44/ThatsRacist.gif every time something does not go the way of a minority.

The US still has trouble dealing with race because of slavery because people allow it to continue bothering them. Look, I have experienced racism first hand.... WHILE IN UNIFORM. But that did not leave me with a chip on my shoulder about the state of race relations in the US.

It is ridiculous to say that slavery still has an impact in today's society... at least the day to day aspect of things. I'm not trying to bury my head in the sand and say that racism does not exist but the fact of the matter is that slavery has not existed in 6 to 7 generations now. IMHO, the only reason it is still brought up today is because:

* it is being taught in a historical context (which I am perfectly fine with)

OR

* someone is using the events of nearly 150 years ago for their own personal agenda and try to make a point that is relevant today (which it is not)

As far as I know, there is no other minority which was slighted or enslaved by the early US, that still holds a grudge today like the black community does. It really is simple.... the matter was resolved. There are no longer any active laws in the books that says a minority is any less of a person than a white person.

Why then keep bringing the shit up? The only reason to bring it up is if you are trying to stir the pot. All a person can hope to achieve by bringing up the issue of slavery as a relevant issue today is to bring up old feelings of hurt and racism... both ways (white vs minority & minority vs white).

The day people start focusing on the future and stop dwelling in the past... the day people stop thinking of themselves as Hispanic-Americans, African-Americans, and Asian-Americans... the sooner we can all progress to being one happy unified country.

Side note: Unless you or your parents... hell, even grandparents were born in Africa, YOU ARE NOT AFRICAN AMERICAN. You are American... plain and simple. My lineage goes back to Puerto Rico to the late 1600's, and though I was born here in the US, I lived a large part of my life in Puerto Rico. You will *NEVER* hear me calling myself Hispanic-American.

pr_capone
03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
As to why don't they complain about all those other countries, I can only speculate but I would guess because we live in the US?

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is English about just that.

Q: Hey Rob, how are race relations between blacks and whites in England?

A: Just fine

Q: Even though England was part of the slave trade?

A: Yeah

Q: Does it get brought up at all?

A. Not really

Aside from the fact that we live in the US, the US was not sending ships out to Africa to club poor helpless Africans over the head and drag them back here to work. The blacks in the US have the Dutch and French to thank for that.

So why not some outrage at them?

a1na2
03-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Regarding reparations; why would any of us have a need to pay out anything?

Not that we would be tabbed directly with it but it would surely be funds from what is collected by the IRS.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I personally have never owned a slave.

I you want to talk about stupid concepts, it would be today's America paying for what happened hundreds of years ago by, maybe some of, our ancestors.

Logical
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Have you ever heard of a Caucasian Scholarship Fund? Here is what happens when one gets set up.... even when it sets out to prove how idiotic racially based scholarships are.

My lineage goes back to Puerto Rico to the late 1600's, and though I was born here in the US, I lived a large part of my life in Puerto Rico. You will *NEVER* hear me calling myself Hispanic-American.

Actually you appear to have a colossaly large chip on your shoulder about race and or cultural relations.

Some people are proud of their cultural heritage, it appears that is not important to you so that is fine for you. I suggest you learn to accept that to many people it is important to be identified as Puerto-Rican Americans, Cuban Americans, etc and it would serve you well to be understanding of that.

I know of no other race that the US held in slavery except for black Americans (who are you alluding to?).

I am sorry that you don't know it but Jim Crow laws date back to even the 1960s, I am suprised you did not know that. So many blacks have either actually suffered under the Jim Crow laws or their parents did.

As far as unique college funds for various races other than blacks, there are definitely many, yes includind Amer-Asians, Hispanic-Americans, etc. so what is your point?

By the way though there may not be any Caucasian American College funds, there are literally 100s of scholarship funds available to caucasians and 1000s given out every year, I hardly think we have room to complain.

Logical
03-31-2008, 07:37 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is English about just that.

Q: Hey Rob, how are race relations between blacks and whites in England?

A: Just fine

Q: Even though England was part of the slave trade?

A: Yeah

Q: Does it get brought up at all?

A. Not really

Aside from the fact that we live in the US, the US was not sending ships out to Africa to club poor helpless Africans over the head and drag them back here to work. The blacks in the US have the Dutch and French to thank for that.

So why not some outrage at them?

Again we don't live in those countries, so outrage at those countries would do them no good. I am still not seeing your point, do you want the black community in the US to demand reparation of the French and Dutch governments?

pr_capone
03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
I think we will simply have to agree to disagree.

I know about the Jim Crow laws, thanks... but the topic of discussion (if you look at the thread title) is SLAVERY. Not racism.... SLAVERY and how it affects race relations today.

My point simply is... it does not.

Slavery should have / does have ZERO impact on race relations today.

I am unsure if you believe it should... or are simply ****ing around trying to bait an argument.

Logical
03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
I think we will simply have to agree to disagree.

I know about the Jim Crow laws, thanks... but the topic of discussion (if you look at the thread title) is SLAVERY. Not racism.... SLAVERY and how it affects race relations today.

My point simply is... it does not.

Slavery should have / does have ZERO impact on race relations today.

I am unsure if you believe it should... or are simply ****ing around trying to bait an argument.

I believe that when you are oppressed (and they are not the only race suffering oppression) and you live in poverty and slums in our urban areas it is very likely you are going to see slavery and the Jim Crow laws (both now illegal) as the stimulus for your suffering. That is what I am getting at.

pr_capone
03-31-2008, 10:21 PM
I believe that when you are oppressed (and they are not the only race suffering oppression) and you live in poverty and slums in our urban areas it is very likely you are going to see slavery and the Jim Crow laws (both now illegal) as the stimulus for your suffering. That is what I am getting at.

I can understand racism being to blame for the now "older" generation being unable to progress rapidly. I disagree that slavery is to blame. At some point in time people need to stop using crutches and giving excuses for the situation that they face. After 6 generations, I really do not see how slavery can be a valid argument for their suffering.

Plenty of people have managed to succeed in life despite being from the inner city, slums, regardless of race or severe poverty. Not to say that I expect that every person is able to, of course, everyone has different circumstances that limit their ability to help themselves... but they have to be willing to at least try.

I have been poor, I have gone without food, I have faced racism and discrimination, and I have even been homeless. The former was in my youth and my single mother worked very hard to do everything possible to provide for us. We eventually made it to "middle class" and things have been getting progressively better. The latter, being homeless, was caused by my own stupidity in my early 20's and a very bad situation that I was put in.

But here I am, despite being a minority with a better "street education" than a scholarly education, back in middle class. There has to come a time in a person's life where a decision is made. A person can either accept their current situation, regardless of how bad it is, and make the best of it... or a person can do whatever they can to improve their lot in life. That would include teaching their children that an education is of utmost importance and not something to be squandered.

Logical
03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
I can understand racism being to blame for the now "older" generation being unable to progress rapidly. I disagree that slavery is to blame. At some point in time people need to stop using crutches and giving excuses for the situation that they face. After 6 generations, I really do not see how slavery can be a valid argument for their suffering.

Plenty of people have managed to succeed in life despite being from the inner city, slums, regardless of race or severe poverty. Not to say that I expect that every person is able to, of course, everyone has different circumstances that limit their ability to help themselves... but they have to be willing to at least try.

I have been poor, I have gone without food, I have faced racism and discrimination, and I have even been homeless. The former was in my youth and my single mother worked very hard to do everything possible to provide for us. We eventually made it to "middle class" and things have been getting progressively better. The latter, being homeless, was caused by my own stupidity in my early 20's and a very bad situation that I was put in.

But here I am, despite being a minority with a better "street education" than a scholarly education, back in middle class. There has to come a time in a person's life where a decision is made. A person can either accept their current situation, regardless of how bad it is, and make the best of it... or a person can do whatever they can to improve their lot in life. That would include teaching their children that an education is of utmost importance and not something to be squandered.

I understand that you have worked through being poor to reach middle class and don't appreciate others feeling entitled to a crutch. I am also realistic enough to know others are not as strong as you and are not as easily willing to give up their bitterness. I cannot pretend to understand the bitterness slavery has embedded into the black community, but when brilliant successful people such as Barack and Condi (opposite sides of the political spectrum) both talk openly about its effects on black life, you have to acknowledge that it is real and tangible even if not logically justifiable.