PDA

View Full Version : Traveler forced to remove nipple ring before boarding plane

Deberg_1990
03-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Interesting....why couldnt she just have shown one of the female agents in the bathroom??

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/27/nipple.ring.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A Texas woman who said she was forced to remove a nipple ring with pliers in order to board an airplane called Thursday for an apology by federal security agents and a civil rights investigation.

Mandi Hamlin, at center with attorney Gloria Allred, demonstrates how she removed her nipple ring.

"I wouldn't wish this experience upon anyone," Mandi Hamlin said at a news conference. "My experience with TSA was a nightmare I had to endure. No one deserves to be treated this way."

Hamlin, 37, said she was trying to board a flight from Lubbock to Dallas on February 24 when she was scanned by a Transportation Security Administration agent after passing through a larger metal detector without problems.

The female TSA agent used a handheld detector that beeped when it passed in front of Hamlin's chest, the Dallas-area resident said.

Hamlin said she told the woman she was wearing nipple piercings. The agent called over her male colleagues, one of whom said she would have to remove the jewelry, Hamlin said.

Hamlin said she could not remove them and asked whether she could instead display her pierced breasts in private to the female agent. But several other male officers told her she could not board her flight until the jewelry was out, she said.

She was taken behind a curtain and managed to remove one bar-shaped piercing but had trouble with the second, a ring.

"Still crying, she informed the TSA officer that she could not remove it without the help of pliers, and the officer gave a pair to her," said Hamlin's attorney, Gloria Allred, reading from a letter she sent Thursday to the director of the TSA's Office of Civil Rights and Liberties. Allred is a Los Angeles lawyer who often represents high-profile claims.

Applying pliers to the torso of a mannequin wearing a bra with the rings on it, Hamlin showed reporters how she took off the second ring.

She said she heard male TSA agents snickering as she took out the ring. She was scanned again and was allowed to board even though she still was wearing a belly button ring.

"After nipple rings are inserted, the skin can often heal around the piercing, and the rings can be extremely difficult and painful to remove," Allred said in the letter.

TSA officials said they are investigating whether the agency's policies were followed.

"Our security officers are well-trained to screen individuals with body piercings in sensitive areas with dignity and respect while ensuring a high level of security," the agency said in a statement.

On its Web site, the TSA warns that passengers "may be additionally screened because of hidden items such as body piercings, which alarmed the metal detector."

"If you are selected for additional screening, you may ask to remove your body piercing in private as an alternative to a pat-down search," the site says.

Hamlin would have accepted a "pat-down" had it been offered, Allred said.

If an alarm does sound, "until that is resolved, we're not going to let them go through the checkpoint, no matter what they're wearing or where they're wearing it," said TSA spokesman Dwayne Baird in Salt Lake City.

People routinely pass through security wearing wedding rings without problems, and it might take a larger bit of metal to trigger an alarm, Baird said.

Hamlin filed a complaint, but the TSA's customer service manager at the Lubbock airport concluded that the screening was handled properly, Allred said.

Hamlin wants an apology from the TSA and an investigation by the agency's civil rights office.

Allred said she might consider legal action if the TSA does not apologize.

Hamlin was publicly humiliated and has "undergone an enormous amount of physical pain to have the nipple rings reinserted" because of scar tissue, Allred said.

Hamlin said her piercings have never set off an airport metal detector.

"The conduct of TSA was cruel and unnecessary," Allred wrote. "The last time that I checked, a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."

BigChiefFan
03-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Our country is a bunch of morons.

Deberg_1990
03-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Our country is a bunch of morons.

The TSA agents ive dealt before were not exactly "Americas Finest"

ChiTown
03-28-2008, 09:55 AM
"The last time that I checked, a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."

Bah!

I nearly lost my eye sucking on one back in college

Fish
03-28-2008, 09:56 AM

Ummm...... debatable?

CosmicPal
03-28-2008, 09:56 AM
You have no idea how easy it is to bring down an airplane with nipple rings.

I have it right here, in the terrorist's version of the Macy's Catalog.

Dartgod
03-28-2008, 09:58 AM
"The conduct of TSA was cruel and unnecessary," Allred wrote. "The last time that I checked, a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."
I beg to differ...

http://www.piercemattie.com/blogs/Glam_network_fembots.jpg

Micjones
03-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Pay the woman. NEXT!

chasedude
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM

I heard her say this on the radio and I couldn't help but laugh ROFL

That girl in MIAdragon's Avatar would pop out an eye!

Pestilence
03-28-2008, 10:00 AM
First off she's 37 and ughhhh. Second off she states that it was hard to take out the nipple rings because the skin had grown around it. Guess what.....you're supposed to play with them after you first get them done so that the skin doesn't grow around it like that.

And why the hell is a 37 year old walking around with nipple rings in the first place? Take them things out before you go to the airport.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n189/pestilenceaf23/ring.jpg

PhillyChiefFan
03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Really...I mean REALLY?? Nipple Rings?!?!

Sure-Oz
03-28-2008, 10:09 AM
we got some db's up in the sky calling the shots

Rain Man
03-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Looking at the picture, I doubt that the TSA agents really found it very enjoyable.

TrebMaxx
03-28-2008, 10:17 AM
What I would want to know is how frggin' big were those nip rings? I mean I have never seen passengers taking off earrings, rings, watches etc and pass right on through the detectors. I want to call BS on this and call it just another Gloria Allred fem-nazi publicity stunt.

beach tribe
03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
The TSA agents ive dealt before were not exactly "Americas Finest"

No Shit. " Tanx fur my gubment job.

kindra68
03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
I really don’t understand the whole “skin had grown around the ring” part.
Did she not wash her breasts/nipples? Change out the jewelry? Had sex in the past year?

Rain Man
03-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Did she not wash her breasts/nipples? Change out the jewelry? Had sex in the past year?

Been led around a bondage club with a nipple leash at the mercy of a sadistic dominatrix?

Oh. Did I say that out loud? Sorry.

Fish
03-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a really horrible mental picture of this kinky brutish broad taking a pair of pliers to her elongated hairy nipples all riddled with scar tissue.....

Poor TSA agents.....

Coogs
03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Hamlin would have accepted a "pat-down" had it been offered, Allred said.

Something tells me we would have been reading about the "pat-down" if that method had been used instead.

ChiefButthurt
03-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a really horrible mental picture of this kinky brutish broad taking a pair of pliers to her elongated hairy nipples all riddled with scar tissue.....

Poor TSA agents.....

:eek: :Lin:

Pestilence
03-28-2008, 10:48 AM

It's not supposed to happen if you follow the instructions of the piercer. She probably thought she would be cool and get her nipples pierced....and then just left them alone to heal. It's the same thing as getting your ears or tongue pierced. You have to move the studs around so this doesn't happen.

This chick just wants money....

DenverDanChiefsFan
03-28-2008, 11:24 AM
What I would want to know is how frggin' big were those nip rings? I mean I have never seen passengers taking off earrings, rings, watches etc and pass right on through the detectors. I want to call BS on this and call it just another Gloria Allred fem-nazi publicity stunt.
Bingo - I quit reading as soon as I saw her name.

Brock
03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
So someone still had to sit next to this beast on the plane? Too bad.

AZORChiefFan
03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
good thing they put a brassier(ode to my g-ma) on that mannequin or I would of found this whole thing offensive.

plbrdude
03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
It's not supposed to happen if you follow the instructions of the piercer. She probably thought she would be cool and get her nipples pierced....and then just left them alone to heal. It's the same thing as getting your ears or tongue pierced. You have to move the studs around so this doesn't happen.

This chick just wants money....

ya think?

Deberg_1990
03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
I wonder what the TSA agents make guys do if they have C*ck rings or a Prince Albert piercing ??

Im just saying......

Chief Chief
03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
So she's wanting an apology?

Tell her to get in line.

I'm still waiting for an apology from the 9/11 terrorists who were the originating cause of TSA.

Chest Rockwell
03-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I wonder what the TSA agents make guys do if they have C*ck rings or a Prince Albert piercing ??

Im just saying......

It's total bs. First, there's no way that the "skin grew around it" unless she's lazier than the bitch that grew herself to the toilet.

Second, I fly at least every couple of weeks, I have piercings that aren't readily evident. They have never been a problem, period.

KCChiefsMan
03-28-2008, 01:34 PM
eh, nipple rings are trashy.

el borracho
03-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Doesn't even merit an apology, IMO. Her jewelry set off security. She was asked to remove it, re-screened and allowed on the plane. End of story from security's point of view. The fact that the jewelry was painful to remove or any embarrassment about her jewelry is her own problem and has nothing to do with security.

Stewie
03-28-2008, 02:26 PM
I flew Phoenix to KC last year with the Tent City Terrors roller derby team. If TSA let them go through security they have no business singling this woman out. I've never seen so many piercings/tattoos on a group of women in my life.

Pestilence
03-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I flew Phoenix to KC last year with the Tent City Terrors roller derby team. If TSA let them go through security they have no business singling this woman out. I've never seen so many piercings/tattoos on a group of women in my life.

It could be the jewelry type and I'm pretty sure that tattoos don't set off metal detectors.

Dartgod
03-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Doesn't even merit an apology, IMO. Her jewelry set off security. She was asked to remove it, re-screened and allowed on the plane. End of story from security's point of view. The fact that the jewelry was painful to remove or any embarrassment about her jewelry is her own problem and has nothing to do with security.
This could be the problem...

Hamlin, 37, said she was trying to board a flight from Lubbock to Dallas on February 24 when she was scanned by a Transportation Security Administration agent after passing through a larger metal detector without problems.

Stewie
03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
It could be the jewelry type and I'm pretty sure that tattoos don't set off metal detectors.

They were a roller derby team and hard core. It wasn't jewelry unless you count studs in eyebrows, noses, and lips as jewelry. And those were the visible piercings. And thanks for the tattoo/metal detector statement. I had no idea.

Rain Man

You don't want to put them near a microwave, though.

Pestilence
They were a roller derby team and hard core. It wasn't jewelry unless you count studs in eyebrows, noses, and lips as jewelry. And those were the visible piercings. And thanks for the tattoo/metal detector statement. I had no idea.

Not a problem.

Dartgod
03-28-2008, 02:40 PM
You don't want to put them near a microwave, though.
You're not going to give up on this, are you? ROFL

Could be a good Q for the Lurker 500 thread, though. :hmmm:

el borracho
03-28-2008, 02:41 PM
So? Security may scan you more than once, in a variety of ways at their discretion. She passed one security measure and failed another. Passengers have to pass all security measures before boarding a plane. You can't just pass most of them. The object isn't to have planes "mostly secure."

Dartgod
03-28-2008, 02:43 PM
So? Security may scan you more than once, in a variety of ways at their discretion. She passed one security measure and failed another. Passengers have to pass all security measures before boarding a plane. You can't just pass most of them. The object isn't to have planes "mostly secure."
Right and I agree with this. I was just offering an explanation as to why she thinks she was "singled out".

Pestilence
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
I could understand if she was of Arab descent and they pulled her aside....but she's just ugly.

el borracho
03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh, ok. Well, you're probably right and she is definitely wrong.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2008, 03:00 PM
First off she's 37 and ughhhh. Second off she states that it was hard to take out the nipple rings because the skin had grown around it. Guess what.....you're supposed to play with them after you first get them done so that the skin doesn't grow around it like that.

And why the hell is a 37 year old walking around with nipple rings in the first place? Take them things out before you go to the airport.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n189/pestilenceaf23/ring.jpg
so it's HER fault? :spock:

listen up everyone ...... you have to remove all piercing b4 going on a plane!!

how fugging retarded

miss the guns .... catch the piercings :shake:

Guru
03-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't understand why anybody pierces anything but their ears anyway. Just stupid.

Deberg_1990
03-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't understand why anybody pierces anything but their ears anyway. Just stupid.

Why is it stupid? you realize that people have been piercing themselves since the beginning of time??

I dont do it personally, but if someone else wants to, big deal. Its called individuality.