PDA

View Full Version : Now that the FED has changed its place as a market interventionist...

Stewie
03-28-2008, 04:00 PM
...there are some terms you need to learn:

<tt> quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion, octillion, nonillion, decillion, undecillion, duodecillion, tredecillion, quattuordecillion, and quindecillion</tt>

BucEyedPea
03-28-2008, 04:01 PM
LMAO

Logical
03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
...there are some terms you need to learn:

<TT>quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion, octillion, nonillion, decillion, undecillion, duodecillion, tredecillion, quattuordecillion, and quindecillion</TT>Notice how the numbers start becoming Latino, that is so it won't be so confusing when we switch to Pesos

BucEyedPea
03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
hyper-inflation-nation

Guess it makes me feel a bit better about having been embezzled a good chunk.

Taco John
03-28-2008, 04:12 PM
The good news is that I was informed today that I'm going to get a nice raise (woot!).

The bad news is that I'm going to need it!

ClevelandBronco
03-28-2008, 04:15 PM
undecillion...tredecillion, quattuordecillion...

I didn't know those.

Stewie
03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
The good news is that I was informed today that I'm going to get a nice raise (woot!).

The bad news is that I'm going to need it!

Cool TJ! It's funny (and coincidental), but I had my yearly review today and it was stellar. Of course in my company's new format reviews have nothing to do with raises. Huhhhh?.... then we're having this meeting because?... Oh yeah, good feelings and team work... ugh....

Stewie
03-28-2008, 04:18 PM
I didn't know those.

Learn it
Love it
Live it

eazyb81
03-28-2008, 04:35 PM
So are there people on here that feel the Fed made the wrong decision by getting involved in the Bear ordeal?

SNR
03-28-2008, 04:36 PM
The bad part will come when we have to use the term "googol" and people will constantly misspell it as "google" :doh!:

banyon
03-28-2008, 05:59 PM
So are there people on here that feel the Fed made the wrong decision by getting involved in the Bear ordeal?

There are people on here that feel that anytime the government does anything, it must be the wrong decision. Facts or results be damned.

BucEyedPea
03-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Some people on here think that the govt should do everything to protect us from life. Facts or results be damned!

banyon
03-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Tell us another made up story about how Einstein was home schooled or Lincoln raped people would you?

(This should put me back on ignore. :fire:)

jAZ
03-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Student Loans Baby!

:D

SNR
03-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Tell us another made up story about how Einstein was home schooled or Lincoln raped people would you?

(This should put me back on ignore. :fire:)Lincoln DID execute hundreds of Sioux indians without a proper trial. That's something that goes unnoticed always.

And yes, people like Jackson get the same treatment from me.

patteeu
03-29-2008, 10:41 AM
There are people on here that feel that anytime the government does anything, it must be the wrong decision. Facts or results be damned.

True.

And I'd add that there are people on here that feel that anytime the Bush administration (or even a Bush appointee) does anything, it must be the wrong decision. Facts or results be damned.

BucEyedPea
03-29-2008, 10:57 AM
True.

Actually what he said was a half-truth. The end extremes may fit his two-valued logic world but the truth is somewhere in between. That was the goal of the Framers. My paradigm represents the original center and reflects limited govt—not NO govt. banyon's paradigm is much more to the left of that so he sees it as "anything." It shows how much govt he believes in because per him govt should order society. You're somewhere left of center, lump sum total. Perhaps reluctantly so, but your fp alone puts you there at least. Just a matter of degree. Add in supply-side and your pragmatism, I'd say that pushes you over a bit more to where the mainstream is today.

alnorth
03-29-2008, 11:04 AM

There wasnt really a decision to be made, that action was absolutely required when it was done. My problem is that we allowed things to get so out of hand with stupid lenders lending to stupid borrowers without much oversight that a government bailout of an I-bank became necessary.

banyon
03-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Actually what he said was a half-truth. The end extremes may fit his two-valued logic world but the truth is somewhere in between. That was the goal of the Framers. My paradigm represents the original center and reflects limited govt—not NO govt. banyon's paradigm is much more to the left of that so he sees it as "anything." It shows how much govt he believes in because per him govt should order society. You're somewhere left of center, lump sum total. Perhaps reluctantly so, but your fp alone puts you there at least. Just a matter of degree. Add in supply-side and your pragmatism, I'd say that pushes you over a bit more to where the mainstream is today.

Yeah either everyone else is wrong and we need to adopt an outdated spectrum from 1832, or maybe it's really this:

Also your spectrum is asinine for 2 reasons: 1) It isn't even remotely useful for differentiating the vast majority of people who participate in politics (usually the purpose of a spectrum and 2) It conflates the social and economic libertarian 2 axes normally found on the Libertarian scale and discounts the social part of it entriely and falsely accuses those of being close to "total government". Say what you want about me or penchief and we like our economic regulation, but you won't find us advocating government involvment on many social issues, which your spectrum falsely misidentifies.

BucEyedPea
03-29-2008, 11:18 AM
There wasnt really a decision to be made, that action was absolutely required when it was done. My problem is that we allowed things to get so out of hand with stupid lenders lending to stupid borrowers without much oversight that a government bailout of an I-bank became necessary.

The Fed was behind that easy credit too though.

bango
03-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Peso? I thought that we were going to the Amero.

Stewie
03-29-2008, 02:27 PM
People. People. Bear Stearns is an investment bank! The Fed CANNOT deal with or bail out investment banks! This move is an unprecedented expansion of their power. The problem is that Bear Stearns is the OTHER ENTITY in Over The Counter Derivatives that real banks were tied to. Let's change the rules mid-stream and pump BILLIONS of newly printed money in exchange for worthless securities. This crap CANNOT go on. They now want to give the Fed more power due to the shithole that has become global finance.

BucEyedPea
03-30-2008, 07:00 AM
People. People. Bear Stearns is an investment bank! The Fed CANNOT deal with or bail out investment banks! This move is an unprecedented expansion of their power. The problem is that Bear Stearns is the OTHER ENTITY in Over The Counter Derivatives that real banks were tied to. Let's change the rules mid-stream and pump BILLIONS of newly printed money in exchange for worthless securities. This crap CANNOT go on. They now want to give the Fed more power due to the shithole that has become global finance.

Yeah it is an investment bank, and it had a run on it when investor's began to withdraw.