PDA

View Full Version : Does your vote matter?

irishjayhawk
03-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Notice I said matter not count. I know it technically counts, but does it really matter?

Logical
03-31-2008, 12:45 AM
I think that if enough voters vote a certain way it can send a message so it counts. Also there are always local issues.

a1na2
03-31-2008, 03:14 AM
Notice I said matter not count. I know it technically counts, but does it really matter?

If you toss it away on a write in or on a candidate, third party or independent that does not have a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected, no it doesn't matter.

Local elections always matter.

Did you read Whitlock this past week? He doesn't even vote.

Guru
03-31-2008, 05:20 AM
Probably not much. I think the democratic side is slightly worse though with this stupid super delegate crap though. They basically can override what the people want if they so choose.

I want to believe that my vote matters though.

StcChief
03-31-2008, 07:51 AM
It matters to me, and that's all the matters

pikesome
03-31-2008, 07:53 AM
It matters to me, and that's all the matters

I've got to agree with this.

After my discussion with BEP about 3rd party candidates the other day I'm starting to come around to the idea. Maybe.

Amnorix
03-31-2008, 08:24 AM
No, but for an acceptable reason -- I'm a Democrat in an overwhelmingly Democratic state. Mass will be in the "blue" column regardless of whether I show up and vote or not.

But, obviously, better to be happy with your state's automatic political leanings than to be unhappy. Republicans around here are a fairly bitter lot. :D

StcChief
03-31-2008, 08:42 AM
No, but for an acceptable reason -- I'm a Democrat in an overwhelmingly Democratic state. Mass will be in the "blue" column regardless of whether I show up and vote or not.

But, obviously, better to be happy with your state's automatic political leanings than to be unhappy. Republicans around here are a fairly bitter lot. :D
The taxes, overpriced housing, and being overwhelmingly "BLUE" that would be my ticket outta there.

Bowser
03-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Presidentially, I have my doubts.

Locally, absolutely.

el borracho
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
not much. I can't think of anything offhand that any president has done in the last 20 years (my voting life) that has affected me on a personal level. Democrats and Republicans are flip sides of the same coin- my tax coin.

BucEyedPea
03-31-2008, 11:40 AM
The taxes, overpriced housing, and being overwhelmingly "BLUE" that would be my ticket outta there.

One reason I was happy to leave. Leaving the lefties behind. Nice to be surrounded by more people here who don't think like they do up there.