PDA

View Full Version : Sean Sutton Fired...

Stewie
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Per 810 Sports. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Soren Petro said word coming out of Oklahoma City is that Sean Sutton has been fired as Oklahoma State basketball coach.

Let the Bill Self rumors begin.

Rock Chalk.

booyaf2
04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Its on espn's site now.

ChiefaRoo
04-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Heh, did he lick a coed?

eazyb81
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Sources are already reporting that T. Boone Pickens is going to back up the truck to bring in Self or Gillispie.

DJay23
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Damnit, not again...

Demonpenz
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
San Francisco is already talking to sutton

Lzen
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Why the Hell do they always have to do this crap when we are in the Final Four? :cuss:

DeezNutz
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I know he played there, yada, yada, yada, but leaving a top-5 job for OSU would be nothing but a money grab. If he decides to do this, he never was the long-term answer. With that said, KU better get out in front of this and show Self a bit of love ($$$$$).

ROYC75
04-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh No, again ? 4321

Bill Self is not leaving KU, mark it down.

Sure-Oz
04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
He's a man and turns 40 in october!

Sure-Oz
04-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh No, again ? 4321

Bill Self is not leaving KU, mark it down.

The implosion would be classic if it did though...

Like Roy "im staying at kansas" or whatever he saidROFL

Dave Lane
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
He's a man and turns 40 in october!

45 actually

Dave

Ari Chi3fs
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
damn, i didn't see this. I guess i didnt refresh the page... someone merge threads.

Sure-Oz
04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
45 actually

Dave

(born October 4, 1968) i googled it, am i wrong?

I meant it for Sutton not self woops

Boon
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
(born October 4, 1968) i googled it, am i wrong?

Yep!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Self

Boon
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
But he is a man. You got that right. I assume you didn't Google that part.

Sure-Oz
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Yep!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Self

I meant it as sutton's bday, lol

melbar
04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Getting the last 3 years of his contract paid. Wish I could get that kind of fired.

Stewie
04-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I listened to the Bill Self press conference about the Final 4, etc. and he was asked about the Oklahoma State job. He said if OSU contacted him he would tell them to go in a different direction.

Lzen
04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/apr/01/self_refutes_potential_move_osu_again/

Self on OSU: "I'm not a candidate"

J-W Staff Reports
Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2008

At his Tuesday press conference leading up to Saturday's national semifinals - during which Bill Self heard a more firm confirmation of Oklahoma State's Sean Sutton being out as the Cowboys' head coach - the Kansas University coach again diffused rumors that he'd be a candidate for the opening.

"If it has been done, I feel bad for Sean, because I feel his team got better over the course of the year. I do care deeply about my alma mater. Spent 11 years of my life at OSU," Self said. "But nobody from there has contacted me, and if they did, I would strongly reccommend they move in another direction."

After the press conference, while exiting Hadl Auditorium, he was even more firm, saying "I'm not a candidate."
Added KU athletics director Lew Perkins Tuesday afternoon: "Nobody has called me from Oklahoma State, which I would assume they would have done that. We're going to do everything we possibly can to have Bill be our basketball coach here for a long, long time. I see no reason why that won't happen."

For more on this story, including full coverage of Tuesday's media session with Self and the KU players in Allen Fieldhouse, log back onto KUSports.com and pick up Wednesday's Journal-World.

DJay23
04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I listened to the Bill Self press conference about the Final 4, etc. and he was asked about the Oklahoma State job. He said if OSU contacted him he would tell them to go in a different direction.

Good answer Bill

Extra Point
04-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Let's just see what happens in OK City after the tournament. I don't expect an annual "Gee whiz, I'm staying at Kansas."

I'd kind of like to see Turgeon at KU sometime down the road. If Self wants to leave, good for him, and thanks to him for making KU basketball better.

chiefqueen
04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Remember, when KU was in the Final 4 in '03, UNC fired Matt Doherty on April 1 also.

Raiderh8ter77
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
hes goin to oklahoma st please ku will suck even more next year if he does

BWillie
04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I told you this would happen during the Big 12 tournament. I told you. Get ready for Boone to show him the money. Hopefully we can match what they offer or Bill will just flat out tell them no. I wish Gottlieb wouldn't of released this news until after this weekend though. This has got to be at least a minor distraction to the players.

POND_OF_RED
04-01-2008, 05:33 PM
I told you this would happen during the Big 12 tournament. I told you. Get ready for Boone to show him the money. Hopefully we can match what they offer or Bill will just flat out tell them no. I wish Gottlieb wouldn't of released this news until after this weekend though. This has got to be at least a minor distraction to the players.

I don't think it will be much of a distraction. The majority of this team will not be returning next year anyways so I don't think it will bother them too much.

ArrowheadHawk
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't think that Self will leave. If he does he is dumber than I thought. Yeah upfront he would make more money per year. But with continued success at KU he would get some endorsement deals that I believe will compensate him better in the long run. Plus how much pressure would that put on him, being the highest paid coach in the country. Imagine those expectations.

Valiant
04-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't think that Self will leave. If he does he is dumber than I thought. Yeah upfront he would make more money per year. But with continued success at KU he would get some endorsement deals that I believe will compensate him better in the long run. Plus how much pressure would that put on him, being the highest paid coach in the country. Imagine those expectations.

The expectations would be the same.. win a championship, just make more doing it..

I don't think he would leave you guys, but anything can happen..

Guru
04-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I feel much more comfortable saying Self is not going anywhere than I did saying the same about Roy the first time around.

The second time around, I said Roy was gone. And he was.

Reerun_KC
04-01-2008, 07:12 PM
The implosion would be classic if it did though...

Like Roy "im staying at kansas" or whatever he saidROFL

Funny? The sports animal and all the talking heads down here arent even considering Self. Said it is a pipe dream and no person in their right mind would leave a top 5 program to come to a programs that isnt even top 30 regardless of the cash... You go to KU, UNC, Duke, etc... to win titles, you got to OSU when your ready to retire. Self isnt ready to retire...

This is just more of your wishful thinking.... Speaking of classic implosions, lets talk the MU basketball program....

I listened all day and they laughed at people when they would mention Self... Besides, KU has the cash to keep Self... There are two boosters that are in the top 5 money wise, One is Dana Anderson and the other is slipping my mind... IF KU wants to keep Self, they can and will match.

Short Leash Hootie
04-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I'll tell you one thing...if Self goes to OSU, the recruiting isn't going to somehow stop...he recruited top tier talent at Illinois...he'd make OSU a final four contender every year...I don't think he's that great of a coach, but he's probably the best recruiter in college hoops...

Short Leash Hootie
04-01-2008, 07:21 PM
a lot of people in Champaign are very bitter when it comes to Self...so you hear the "cheating" stories all of the time...like how Self made a visit to a guy who didn't even consider Kansas in his top 10 prior to the visit, and then somehow managing to get him signed before the end of the visit...I want to know how he does it...he landed Deron Williams at the U of I after he had already signed Dee Brown, a higher rated prospect, at Deron's position a month before hand...

Reerun_KC
04-01-2008, 07:29 PM
SureOZ... Found the name of the other donor for you from the OSU board...

Why can't KU pay what OSU can? They have a rich, donating, alum by the name of Phillip Anschulz who is worth twice what T. Boone is.

Skip Towne
04-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I'll tell you one thing...if Self goes to OSU, the recruiting isn't going to somehow stop...he recruited top tier talent at Illinois...he'd make OSU a final four contender every year...I don't think he's that great of a coach, but he's probably the best recruiter in college hoops...

Stoolwater is a MUCH tougher place to recruit. They rely on home grown talent that comes every 10years like Big Country Reeves. Well, and Randy Rutherford.

ChiefsCountry
04-01-2008, 07:31 PM
SureOZ... Found the name of the other donor for you from the OSU board...

Why can't KU pay what OSU can? They have a rich, donating, alum by the name of Phillip Anschulz who is worth twice what T. Boone is.

Anschulz doesnt throw all his money at KU like Boone does at OSU.

Reerun_KC
04-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Anschulz doesnt throw all his money at KU like Boone does at OSU.
No but what he does and what Dana Anderson contributes, plus the 4200 members of the Williams Fund, They can scrape up enough cash to pay Self what OSU will offer...