PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Successful draft is crucial for Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
04-01-2008, 10:56 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/556974.html

Successful draft is crucial for Chiefs
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

PALM BEACH, Fla. | With as many as seven starting positions available for rookies, and with 10 draft picks, the Chiefs don’t need to be perfect as they go about choosing college players.

They merely have to be close. Their decision not to tap more heavily into this year’s free-agent market leaves them with little room for error.

“I would say at least half (of the draft picks) will be starting for us the first game of the season,” coach Herm Edwards said while taking a break at this week’s NFL meetings. “There’s a great chance of that. And I’m hoping for that. I’m actually hoping I’m wrong. I’m hoping it’s about 75 percent of them.

“If you look back at our last couple of drafts, about 80 percent of those guys are playing and a lot of them are starting. That’s a good thing. We’ve got a system now. Our young players know when they walk in the door, they have to prepare themselves to play.”

The Chiefs have 55 players and, assuming they sign no more free agents, will take 25 rookies to training camp, including college free agents signed after the draft.

That’s plenty for today’s NFL but not unprecedented. Baltimore in 2002 took 47 first-year players to camp and started the season with 19, an NFL record.

The Ravens didn’t go young by choice as the Chiefs are. They were forced into their youth movement by severe salary-cap problems and finished their season 7-9.

Baltimore bounced back the next season to win its division.

The Chiefs can look to last season’s Giants for another happy story. The Giants were in a far different stage in their development than the Chiefs are now. New York had been to the playoffs in each of the previous two seasons, while the Chiefs went 4-12 and lost their last nine games.

The Giants signed only one free agent, linebacker Kawika Mitchell from the Chiefs. But they drafted eight players, and seven were starters or otherwise heavy contributors in a surprising playoff run that didn’t end until the Giants had upset New England in the Super Bowl.

“Sometimes you hit more than you miss,” Giants general manager Jerry Reese said. “Last year we hit more than we missed. You’re not going to get them all right, you just want to get more right than you get wrong. Last year, we didn’t get a lot done in free agency, (and) the rookies had to play. The coaches got them ready to play, and they did a nice job.

“Coaching is a major part of it. You can draft whoever you want to, but if they aren’t coached well, they’re not going to develop for you.”

The Giants won’t be making a habit of filling all their needs with rookies. This year they’ve signed two free-agent starters, including former Chiefs safety Sammy Knight.

“There is no template,” Reese said. “You try to do what’s best for your team each year. If you think you can get the thing done through free agency, you try to get it done. If not, you know you’re going to get draft picks and you try to do your best with the draft. It’s different every year.”

Edwards wants the Chiefs to continue to build. The plan has been heartily endorsed by Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt.

“We had to stay focused on the plan and not be tempted to do something that throws the plan out of kilter,” Edwards said. “The only way that we’re going to know if this is going to work is by sticking with it. You can’t start deviating from it because then all of a sudden it’s not your plan. It’s easy to say you’re going to do it, but we’ve had the conviction to do it.

“It’s no different from a lot of things we’re doing. We’re building a lot of things. We’re redoing the stadium. We’re redoing the (practice) facility. And we’re going to redo the football team, too.”

The plan will work well for the Chiefs only if they are successful in the draft. They have the fifth pick and at least one choice in each of the seven rounds, but the extra selections are in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds.

The Chiefs have been able to withstand lousy drafts before. But they’ve rarely been this needy and were usually far more aggressive in free agency about finding starters.

This year the Chiefs signed linebacker Demorrio Williams and wide receiver Devard Darling. Each will be given a chance for playing time, but it’s possible that neither player winds up starting.

“Our previous head coaches didn’t want to do it in this fashion,” Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “They wanted to play veteran players and were reluctant to play young players. Herm has a different philosophy, and you always try to go with the philosophy of your head coach because at the end of the day, he’s the one who has to get the most out of them.”

Hoover
04-01-2008, 10:58 PM
really?

wow

cdcox
04-01-2008, 11:00 PM
"Drafting well is important? Who knew? /Carl

noa
04-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Edwards wants the Chiefs to continue to build. The plan has been heartily endorsed by Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt.

“We had to stay focused on the plan and not be tempted to do something that throws the plan out of kilter,” Edwards said. “The only way that we’re going to know if this is going to work is by sticking with it. You can’t start deviating from it because then all of a sudden it’s not your plan. It’s easy to say you’re going to do it, but we’ve had the conviction to do it.

Oh no! He used the P word. We're doomed :banghead:

milkman
04-01-2008, 11:08 PM
If there were ever a "Well, duh!" story, this is it.

Rausch
04-01-2008, 11:09 PM
If you look back at our last couple of drafts, about 80 percent of those guys are playing and a lot of them are starting. That’s a good thing.

If 80% of your draft picks are starting/playing that is a good thing.

It's not if you've just finished up your worst season in 20 years...

Tribal Warfare
04-01-2008, 11:15 PM
If 80% of your draft picks are starting/playing that is a good thing.

It's not if you've just finished up your worst season in 20 years...

IMO, drafting volume of quality starters is like a good batting percentage. If you can hit on at least 30% of the selections allotted then you had a good draft.

keg in kc
04-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Gee, ya think?

the Talking Can
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
"The Chiefs have been able to withstand lousy drafts before."

WTF IS THIS MORAN TALKING ABOUT?

we haven't won a ****ing playoff game in 4000 years? Yet we "withstood" Carl's infinitely shitty drafts?

is everyone in Kansas City a certified ****ing retard?

is there one single ****ing person in KC that can write something about this team without Carl's balls resting on their tonsils?

do they read what they write? do their "editors?"

does anyone in KC understand that the last 15 years are a complete and total failure?

this shit is no longer funny to me...my patience for wasting time on a clown parade is gone...

Fruit Ninja
04-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I have 0 faith in Carl and Herm to do anything with this team. I am ready for a new leaf to be turned.

Logical
04-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Is this article Teicher's idea of an April 1st Joke?

JBucc
04-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Teicher: Succeeding is crucial to success

keg in kc
04-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Outscoring your opponent is one of the many keys of winning.

88TG88
04-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Teicher: Succeeding is crucial to success

ROFL

MadMax
04-02-2008, 01:01 AM
"The Chiefs have been able to withstand lousy drafts before."

WTF IS THIS MORAN TALKING ABOUT?

we haven't won a ****ing playoff game in 4000 years? Yet we "withstood" Carl's infinitely shitty drafts?

is everyone in Kansas City a certified ****ing retard?

is there one single ****ing person in KC that can write something about this team without Carl's balls resting on their tonsils?

do they read what they write? do their "editors?"

does anyone in KC understand that the last 15 years are a complete and total failure?

this shit is no longer funny to me...my patience for wasting time on a clown parade is gone...

I feel your pain my friend.. :( My clock is ticking and we are stuck in a time warp. I have no optimism left int he tank and the days are growing short.. I do have 2 young Chiefs fans to carry the mantle of torture and dismay after I leave though lol...What a shitty legacy to leave my offspring :( We are a stubborn lot.

the Talking Can
04-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I feel your pain my friend.. :( My clock is ticking and we are stuck in a time warp. I have no optimism left int he tank and the days are growing short.. I do have 2 young Chiefs fans to carry the mantle of torture and dismay after I leave though lol...What a shitty legacy to leave my offspring :( We are a stubborn lot.

the problem is that I believe only Herm really understands how shitty this team is and WAS....Carl and every other hack journalist - and waaaaay too many fans - in KC still think we're a player away from 8-8, and that the last 15 years have been successful by some pitiful measure....

and i don't even think much of Herm as a coach, he basically is a clown too...but at least he isn't living in the same fantasy world as the rest of this franchise/city...

Carl wouldn't trade Wesley for a FOURTH!? that thought haunts when I try to care about a franchise that won't fire a miserable, pathetic incompetent loser like him.

i keep thinking the offseason will eventually drain the bile out of me...but not yet, clearly....lol

keg in kc
04-02-2008, 01:18 AM
the problem is that I believe only Herm really understands how shitty this team is and WAS....Dick Vermeil RULED. We scored lots of points, made the playoffs once, and wasted 5 (more) years of draft picks!

Shouldn't be surprised, though, this is a city where a lot of people still consider Martyocre and the 90s a success.

Peterson's become Jack Steadman, the next generation.

Logical
04-02-2008, 01:19 AM
the problem is that I believe only Herm really understands how shitty this team is and WAS....Carl and every other hack journalist - and waaaaay too many fans - in KC still think we're a player away from 8-8, and that the last 15 years have been successful by some pitiful measure....

and i don't even think much of Herm as a coach, he basically is a clown too...but at least he isn't living in the same fantasy world as the rest of this franchise/city...

Carl wouldn't trade Wesley for a FOURTH!? that thought haunts when I try to care about a franchise that won't fire a miserable, pathetic incompetent loser like him.

i keep thinking the offseason will eventually drain the bile out of me...but not yet, clearly....lol

I believe you are being given the equivalent of a football enema.

Otter
04-02-2008, 05:55 AM
God coming down from heaven and placing the pox on the 31 other teams opening day is crucial for the Chiefs.

Iowanian
04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
We have a plan....it should only take about 5 years for it to get us to the promis'd land!

And we're on #3!

The Chiefs are going to be terrible again this year. Accept it now and it will hurt less in October-November. You'll likely
be apathetic by December, so don't worry about cold weather.

StcChief
04-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Draft well.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Dick Vermeil RULED. We scored lots of points, made the playoffs once, and wasted 5 (more) years of draft picks!

Shouldn't be surprised, though, this is a city where a lot of people still consider Martyocre and the 90s a success.

:clap:

Chiefnj2
04-02-2008, 08:17 AM
“Coaching is a major part of it. You can draft whoever you want to, but if they aren’t coached well, they’re not going to develop for you.”

siberian khatru
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.crashonmyhead.com/captain_obvious.jpg

Dicky McElephant
04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
This just in......air is needed to breathe.

Zouk
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
“I would say at least half (of the draft picks) will be starting for us the first game of the season,” coach Herm Edwards said while taking a break at this week’s NFL meetings. “There’s a great chance of that. And I’m hoping for that. I’m actually hoping I’m wrong. I’m hoping it’s about 75 percent of them.

I see us having only 4 of the 22 offensive and defensive starters being rookies. Maybe 5 at the absolute most. To get to Herm's "hope" of 7 or 8 rookie starters - you have to count, for example, the punt returner, slot receiver, and blocking tight end as "starters".

Duck Dog
04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
This just in......air is needed to breathe.

Yeah, no shit. When isn't a draft crucial for any team?

OnTheWarpath58
04-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Dick Vermeil RULED. We scored lots of points, made the playoffs once, and wasted 5 (more) years of draft picks!

QFT.

PhillyChiefFan
04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Oh no! He used the P word. We're doomed :banghead:

Hitler had a plan too, didn't work out so well.

Adept Havelock
04-02-2008, 10:20 AM

While I'm more than ready for the dethroning of Queen Carl and a coup against his Lieutenants, I can't agree with this at all. In those 15 years, I've been to and watched dozens of games that were really good times.

I can't consider that "a complete and total failure". I'd reserve that to describe the late 70's and 80's, when it was almost a chore to go to the games.

If I'm entertained, it's not a complete waste. Would I love another SB win? Of course. Am I frustrated about the front office? Sure. Do I consider every game since 1993 a "complete and total failure"? Not a chance.

JMO.

Hitler had a plan too, didn't work out so well.

Carl Peterson's next stop...Stalingrad. Pity the Hunts will probably fly him out after the encirclement.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
While I'm more than ready for the dethroning of Queen Carl and a coup against his Lieutenants, I can't agree with this at all. In those 15 years, I've been to and watched dozens of games that were really good times.

I can't consider that "a complete and total failure". I'd reserve that to describe the late 70's and 80's, when it was almost a chore to go to the games.

If I'm entertained, it's not a complete waste. Would I love another SB win? Of course. Am I frustrated about the front office? Sure. Do I consider every game since 1993 a "complete and total failure"? Not a chance.

JMO.

Carl Peterson's next stop...Stalingrad. Pity the Hunts will probably fly him out after the encirclement.

Your right, The Chiefs have been very successful money wise, but on the field and post season play, They are failures since Carl aririved and started the 5 year plan.

The fans could care less about the money the Chiefs make, we just want/deserve playoff victories and superbowl wins.

el borracho
04-02-2008, 10:28 AM

http://espn.go.com/media/nfl/2006/0109/photo/a_edwards_195.jpg

el borracho
04-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Oh, and by the way, nice plan, Herm. Way to go 4-12 without learning anything about your young QB or young Olinemen. Good thing we had Huard and Terry and Turley and Weigman around to execute your plan.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Oh, and by the way, nice plan, Herm. Way to go 4-12 without learning anything about your young QB or young Olinemen. Good thing we had Huard and Terry and Turley and Weigman around to execute your plan.
QFT,

This is why drafting Ryan really makes no sense.... How can he succeed when you have one of the worse lines and coaching staffs in NFL history...:(

milkman
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM

Herman ****ing Edwards is a moron, no doubt, but I still believe the blame for starting Huard at the start of the season lies squarely at Carl's feet.

el borracho
04-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Herman ****ing Edwards is a moron, no doubt, but I still believe the blame for starting Huard at the start of the season lies squarely at Carl's feet.

Oh, Carl is a jackass, too. If I had any photoshop skills I would put together a Tweedledee and Tweedledum image for the ages. Alas, I do not, nohow, contrariwise.

Adept Havelock
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Your right, The Chiefs have been very successful money wise, but on the field and post season play, They are failures since Carl aririved and started the 5 year plan.

The fans could care less about the money the Chiefs make, we just want/deserve playoff victories and superbowl wins.

:rolleyes:

We all have our standards, please don't misrepresent mine.

I don't give a damn about their money, and never said that in my post. Don't attribute that position to me.

I'm a fan, and have been since we've had the KC Chiefs. I've enjoyed watching many of the games in the last 15 years, so I don't consider it a "complete waste". Even with the lack of postseason success.

Sure, I want playoff wins and another trip to the SB. Am I going to consider it a "complete waste" if we don't get there? As long as I'm enjoying myself more Sundays than I'm not, no.

If you and TTC want to consider every Sunday of the last 15+ years a waste, that's your prerogative. :shrug:

el borracho
04-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Has anybody else noticed how Adept Havelock is just fixated on money? Jeesh! It's all the guy talks about.

Adept Havelock
04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Has anybody else noticed how Adept Havelock is just fixated on money? Jeesh! It's all the guy talks about.

I am slavishly devoted to the bottom line at One Arrowhead Way. ;)

chiefscafan
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't know personally if I could take another bad season. This year was so embarassing to watch. Carl needs to go he has made dumb decission after another.

kornheiser on MNF said it best to Jaws

"I know carl's your friend and all Jaws but nineteen years as gm and you still haven't gotten to a superbowl, most Gms would have been fired for that kind of futility."

Reerun_KC
04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
:rolleyes:

We all have our standards, please don't misrepresent mine.

I don't give a damn about their money, and never said that in my post. Don't attribute that position to me.

I'm a fan, and have been since we've had the KC Chiefs. I've enjoyed watching many of the games in the last 15 years, so I don't consider it a "complete waste". Even with the lack of postseason success.

Sure, I want playoff wins and another trip to the SB. Am I going to consider it a "complete waste" if we don't get there? As long as I'm enjoying myself more Sundays than I'm not, no.

If you and TTC want to consider every Sunday of the last 15+ years a waste, that's your prerogative. :shrug:
:ZZZ:

Reerun_KC
04-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't know personally if I could take another bad season. This year was so embarassing to watch. Carl needs to go he has made dumb decission after another.

kornheiser on MNF said it best to Jaws

"I know carl's your friend and all Jaws but nineteen years as gm and you still haven't gotten to a superbowl, most Gms would have been fired for that kind of futility."
Yet we embrace it as Chiefs fans.

el borracho
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't know personally if I could take another bad season.

Well, get ready because it is coming (and likely followed by another). I suggest a burrito from El Tarasco and some solid time on the sand to get your mind off our crappy team.

Adept Havelock
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
:ZZZ:

A brilliant riposte. LMAO

ROYC75
04-02-2008, 11:37 AM
( Carl & Herm ) We're in Good Hands ..............:doh!:

mlyonsd
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I stopped reading here:

Halfcan
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
really?

wow

yep-who would have thunk it??

Micjones
04-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Drafting well with the Chiefs current philosophy is even more crucial than it was before.

MadMax
04-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Yep and what a waste of time....:grr: