PDA

View Full Version : Can the Royals plate 5 20+HR guys this season?

petegz28
04-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Gordon, Guillen, Teahen, Butler, Buck(?)

Seems the potential is there to plate some power this year. :)

Thoughts?

Gordon=2
Butler=0
Guillen=0
Butler=0
Teahen=1
Buck=1

Hoover
04-02-2008, 09:01 AM
I think it will be hard for Buck to reach 20 homers, but I do think there is some good power on that team.

tyton75
04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
The team is much better, but that is very unlikely to happen... i would be happy with 3 20 homer guys and not even sure we will get that.

Not that we don't have the talent.. just that the K isn't a really big Homer friendly park

petegz28
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
The team is much better, but that is very unlikely to happen... i would be happy with 3 20 homer guys and not even sure we will get that.

Not that we don't have the talent.. just that the K isn't a really big Homer friendly park

Well the K was never a big HR park for Royals hitters. :D

Dartgod
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Teahan will not hit 20 homers.

Demonpenz
04-02-2008, 09:09 AM

It is consistantly middle of the pack as far as offense goes. I think the ball fly's out of there well. We just more have had gap to gap guys. It will be interesting to see how the renovations will effect the ball but back to my original point the ball to left field travels pretty well.

petegz28
04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Teahan will not hit 20 homers.

We have seen he has that potential easily. Just can he live up to it?

Demonpenz
04-02-2008, 09:10 AM
here is some of the break downs of the parks

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor?season=2007

beavis
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
We have seen he has that potential easily. Just can he live up to it?

When exactly was that? For a half season, he looked like he might have some pop. But other than that, he's never hit for power at any level.

Demonpenz
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Teahans shoulder was hurt all last year. He will have to yank a few to get to 20 I would rather him just try to hit lines drivers than try to yank everything

petegz28
04-02-2008, 09:12 AM
When exactly was that? For a half season, he looked like he might have some pop. But other than that, he's never hit for power at any level.

If he did it once he can do it. Just a matter of can he do it consistently. If he becomes the linedrive type hitter we know he can be I can see 20 going over the wall just from getting good solid rips.

shakesthecat
04-02-2008, 09:14 AM

No kidding. I'd be thrilled if he hit 15.

As for the original question.

I think Butler, Gordon and Guillen can and should hit 20. I don't Buck gets enough AB's.

beavis
04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
If he did it once he can do it. Just a matter of can he do it consistently. If he becomes the linedrive type hitter we know he can be I can see 20 going over the wall just from getting good solid rips.

But that's the whole point, he's never done it. You're projecting something with no basis to do so.

I can ask will Tony Pena Jr. hit 20 home runs, doesn't mean it's ever going to happen.

tyton75
04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
it will just be a relief to see our players hit the ball hard.. no matter if it goes out or not... these guys will get good wood on the ball

most of them anyway

beavis
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
No kidding. I'd be thrilled if he hit 15.

As for the original question.

I think Butler, Gordon and Guillen can and should hit 20. I don't Buck gets enough AB's.

Agreed. In fact I'd be really disappointed if they all three don't this year. I think Olivo is going to end up catching a good share of the games, especially if Buck struggles early.

petegz28
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
But that's the whole point, he's never done it. You're projecting something with no basis to do so.

I can ask will Tony Pena Jr. hit 20 home runs, doesn't mean it's ever going to happen.

No he has shown the potential to do it. You cannot pretend he hasn't.

beavis
04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
it will just be a relief to see our players hit the ball hard.. no matter if it goes out or not... these guys will get good wood on the ball

most of them anyway

You said wood.

beavis
04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
No he has shown the potential to do it. You cannot pretend he hasn't.

When? Point to one instance where he's ever show 20+ home run power? You can't do it.

petegz28
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
When? Point to one instance where he's ever show 20+ home run power? You can't do it.

When he came back up from the minors 2 years ago.

beavis
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
When he came back up from the minors 2 years ago.

So 4 months out of a 5+ year professional career is a trend?

petegz28
04-02-2008, 09:32 AM
So 4 months out of a 5+ year professional career is a trend?

Jeebus beavis. I said he showed the potential. Since last year was the first full year he played since then and he was hurt and playig a new position I would say you need to keep a bit of an open mind still.

If he is a strike out king this year we will know he is a choker. But we have seen hit, hit for power and hit in the clutch. So let's not pretend we haven't.

Demonpenz
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
"There goes another homerun for Gordon" He gave that thing a Kansas city goodbye

beavis
04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Jeebus beavis. I said he showed the potential. Since last year was the first full year he played since then and he was hurt and playig a new position I would say you need to keep a bit of an open mind still.

If he is a strike out king this year we will know he is a choker. But we have seen hit, hit for power and hit in the clutch. So let's not pretend we haven't.

Will you please stop being a Royals fan. New York is always looking for new morons to wear pinstripes.

markk
04-02-2008, 09:40 AM
olivio though dismal against righties hits .290 against left handers so i expect we will see him play a majority of those games

petegz28
04-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Will you please stop being a Royals fan. New York is always looking for new morons to wear pinstripes.

Will you please stop being such a little bitch? :D

JBucc
04-02-2008, 09:54 AM
I think 3 would be a more realistic expectation. Butler, Gordon, and Guilen can get 20+. Buck and Teahen around 15 probably.

petegz28
04-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I think 3 would be a more realistic expectation. Butler, Gordon, and Guilen can get 20+. Buck and Teahen around 15 probably.

Probably so. But would be nice to see Teahen and Buck deliver. Both have been just short of 20 in the past. And I will assume since they are still young they are still growing and will hopefully improve.

markk
04-02-2008, 10:06 AM
i dont want john buck to hit 20+ homers really. i would rather he worked on his abysmal batting average and tried to just get one base every time up.

i am not a buck fan. when you need to win with smallball you cant play guys every day with <.300 OBP. if you look at a playoff team the last guy on their bench will do as good or better than that.

and dont get me started on Tony Pena Jr batting 500 times and only taking 10 walks

Adept Havelock
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I think it will be hard for Buck to reach 20 homers, but I do think there is some good power on that team.

I hope he can. Buck hit 18 last year, and he was absolutely horrible after the break. :shrug:

StcChief
04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
has the rest of AL pitching quit or been fired?

markk
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
speaking of pitching the cardinals are starting todd wellemeyer today, who was notable for being the absolute worst player ever to touch the royals roster last season

RockChalk
04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Gordon is on pace for 162. I think he can do it

Mecca
04-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Teahen has no power and Buck doesn't make enough contact to do that.

petegz28
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Both have hit 18 in a season. We are only talking slight improvement from what we have see in the past.

Adept Havelock
04-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Both have hit 18 in a season. We are only talking slight improvement from what we have see in the past.

I think Buck had 3 after the break when he went in the tank. I don't think 20 is an unreasonable expectation.

Dartgod
04-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Gordon is on pace for 162. I think he can do it
He's on pace for 81 now. His shot at the record is slipping away.

keg in kc
04-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I think 3 with 30 is more likely than 5 with 20 (which doesn't mean I think it's going to happen). I think Gordon will eventually own the team record, but it might not be this year. Butler and Guillen reaching 30's a taller order. Butler's a line-drive hitter, so he's probably not going to hit as many as if he were a true 'power hitter' (Gordon's stroke is more attuned for that IMO) and Guillen's best seasons have been 23-27 HRs. But, either way, I think those two hitting 30 is more likely than Teahen and Buck both hitting 20.

Teahen could hit 20, but he hasn't shown any inkling of power since '06. And I don't see Buck doing it at all.

petegz28
04-03-2008, 01:55 PM
bump for the gordon and teahen jacks!

acesn8s
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I think we need more days of people not believing in Teahen power.

Guillen won't get it done hitting .167.

acesn8s
04-03-2008, 04:51 PM
He's on pace for 81 now. His shot at the record is slipping away.He's on pace for 108 now. His shot at the record just got stronger.

Coach
04-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Heh, the way you worded that Teahen has no power makes it sound like he can't hit a homerun.

News flash. He just hit one today.

thurman merman
04-03-2008, 08:57 PM

i agree.

dallaschiefsfan
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Well...you're right about one thing--Buck does NOT make enough contact. However, your point is flat out wrong. As others have mentioned, Buck hit 18 last year after having Buddy "I'm an idiot" Bell chang his stance for no reason AND after Buddy "Loser" Bell kept jerking around with Buck's playing time by (for no conceivable reason that anyone can figure out) over-playing the sub-100 average Jason "Peppy" LaRue.

Now...if you can make it through the sarcasm, it's not hard to see Buck hitting 20 simply by having more playing time and geting his old stance back isn't out of the realm of the reasonable.

keg in kc
04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Now...if you can make it through the sarcasm, it's not hard to see Buck hitting 20 simply by having more playing time and geting his old stance back isn't out of the realm of the reasonable.Don't forget that the Royals have Miguel Olivo under contract this season for $2 million. His suspension ends after tomorrow's game, and I can't imagine he won't some time behind the plate once he returns.

dallaschiefsfan
04-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Don't forget that the Royals have Miguel Olivo under contract this season for $2 million. His suspension ends after tomorrow's game, and I can't imagine he won't some time behind the plate once he returns.

Ok...well let's say you're correct. Olivo has power unlike LaRue...so even if Buck's playing time does not increase and he does no better than 18 home runs, if Olivo gets the same at-bats that LaRue gets, he'll have AT LEAST 5+ homers...which means you effectively have 20 homers out of the catching position. Buck/Olivo or whatever...it's still effectively one position in the order hitting 20+ homers.

keg in kc
04-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Ok...well let's say you're correct. Olivo has power unlike LaRue...so even if Buck's playing time does not increase and he does no better than 18 home runs, if Olivo gets the same at-bats that LaRue gets, he'll have AT LEAST 5+ homers...which means you effectively have 20 homers out of the catching position. Buck/Olivo or whatever...it's still effectively one position in the order hitting 20+ homers.Since Buck/LaRue had 22 homeruns, collectively, last year, I don't think that's out of the realm of possiblity.

Either way, Buck's not looking real good right now, at least as far as hitting goes. 2-12 to start the season (.167). Last year he started out on a tear, going .320 in April (before steadily falling off the rest of the year...), so hopefully he comes out of it. I'm not sure what the pitching matchups are, but my guess is the latest we'll be seeing Olivo is against the Yankees when Andy Pettitte starts, although that's almost a week from now. I'd imagine he'll get a start before then.

petegz28
04-09-2008, 09:02 PM
bump for Brother John and his big wood tonight!!!