PDA

View Full Version : Life I know there are some Supervisors on this board...

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm applying for a supervisor's job by the end of this week and "if" I get it...it will be my first time being a supervisor.

I know it's kind of early to start asking questions and looking for advice. But do you have any advice for a brand new supervisor?

Sully
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Kick someone's ass the first day, that way everyone will respect you and think you are crazy... and leave you alone.

Wait...that's prison.

Ah, well... try it anyway, how could it hurt?

Phobia
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
You have to remember 2 things:
1. Remember how you liked to be treated by your supervisors.
2. Every person responds differently. Techniques which work well with Joe Blow won't work with his buddy. You'll have to figure out how to treat each subordinate differently while giving the appearance of fairness. It's a challenge.

There are so few good supervisors.... You're not gonna be a perfect supervisor in everybody's eyes so just do the best you can and try not to make anybody go postal on you.

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
You have to remember 2 things:
1. Remember how you liked to be treated by your supervisors.
2. Every person responds differently. Techniques which work well with Joe Blow won't work with his buddy. You'll have to figure out how to treat each subordinate differently while giving the appearance of fairness. It's a challenge.

There are so few good supervisors.... You're not gonna be a perfect supervisor in everybody's eyes so just do the best you can and try not to make anybody go postal on you.

I second this advice, phil nailed it....
I'll finish his thought with - don't take the challenge too personal and don't take your work home with you.

seclark
04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
not sure i could dumb myself down enough to be a supervisor.
you shouldn't have too much of a problem w/it.
sec

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I think I'll dumb myself down for another $7.00 an hour.

Iowanian
04-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Send out a memo on the first day, regarding the new TPS report cover sheets.

seclark
04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
I think I'll dumb myself down for another $7.00 an hour.

that'd be worth a try, yes.
sec

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM

I would...but no one would get the joke.

Hoover
04-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I think its all about knowing each person who works for you really well. Phil said it well, what motivates me might not motivate the next guy. I do my best work when I can make a personal connection for those who work for me. Now it drives me nuts when an employee feels she needs to tell me her life story when shit hits the fan, but I remind myself that I want that environment where people want to come to work and care about others. Its a trade off but it works for me.

I've done it both ways. The most important thing you need in a position like that is integrity.

StcChief
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
on top of listed items...

read policy/procedures of company understand them or be trained.

being named in a law suit would be bad.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
tread lightly but carry a big stick

pick your battles

each person response to different motivation ... has different buttons. Go easy until you figure out what it takes for each person.

once you accept "shit" you have to live with it forever ... set the bar high because employees usually just barely make it no matter where the bar is set.

don't hump your employees :hump:

Demonpenz
04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
research some goal setting, motiviation, and organizational behavior. Then just study behaviors and don't set unrealistic expectations. Tackle complancancy head on.

DJJasonp
04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Do not....no matter how tempting....discuss another employee's matters/situations (that reports to you) to another employee who reports to you.

Cut all "he said/she said" conversations off at the pass by saying "we're here to discuss you....."

As someone mentioned before....Integrity....the people who report to you will respect you if you are fair....and even more important....equal (dont make exceptions for some, and not for others).

Make sure your staff is fully aware of your expectations.....so that when they're not meeting your expectations - it should not come as a shock to them when you have to address it.

StcChief
04-02-2008, 09:45 AM

pick your battles

each person response to different motivation ... has different buttons. Go easy until you figure out what it takes for each person.

once you accept "shit" you have to live with it forever ... set the bar high because employees usually just barely make it no matter where the bar is set.

don't hump your employees :hump: fastest way out the door.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Additionally, don't embarrass a subordinate in front of the entire team. Take them behind closed doors. That will allow them to keep their dignity and they'll respect you for it.

el borracho
04-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Try to remember, you are not a real supervisor until you make somebody cry.

Demonpenz
04-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I think the real idea is you won't know exactly what to do until you have experience

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I think the real idea is you won't know exactly what to do until you have experience

That's exactly what I was thinking.

It's not like I'll be supervising 20 people. I'll only be in charge of around 2-3 people at the most.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I think the most important thing is to not big-shot your people the moment you get the promotion.

Sit them down and be straight up: "I'm a new supervisor and I'm inexperienced. I feel fortunate to have this opportunity and I need your help to be successful."

Encourage communication and constructive criticism. Make your people feel like they're valuable to the team. Men like ownership and women like to feel special. Cater to that. Pay the women plenty of compliments for their efforts. Make the men feel appreciated more through actions than words.

kregger
04-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Be consistent, be fair. Don't micromanage.

CosmicPal
04-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Get yourself a bullet-proof vest. :D

Mr. Laz
04-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I think the most important thing is to not big-shot your people the moment you get the promotion.

Sit them down and be straight up: "I'm a new supervisor and I'm inexperienced. I feel fortunate to have this opportunity and I need your help to be successful."

Encourage communication and constructive criticism. Make your people feel like they're valuable to the team. Men like ownership and women like to feel special. Cater to that. Pay the women plenty of compliments for their efforts. Make the men feel appreciated more through actions than words.

while i agree not to "big shot" people ... the part in bold could be risky. It could work great with some personality types, it might really backfire with others.

some people will see that as a sign of weakness and try to rip your throat out.

imo i would be conservative with information with the entire group and save that kind of talk for a 1-on-1 setting with the people you think it would appeal to.

I definitely wouldn't say that to any aggressive type employees, especially if they are older than you.

male+older+aggressive = will usually try and push you around if they can

suds79
04-02-2008, 10:07 AM
rule with an iron fist. :Poke:

Demonpenz
04-02-2008, 10:08 AM
you really have to go into "supervisor" mode I sometimes have a problem with people yapping or not liking me. I am getting better at concentrating on doing my job first. While doing it fairly and in an ethical manor.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2008, 10:19 AM
There is some good advice on this thread.

But first and foremost, I'd recommend keeping a "distance" from your employees. Don't go out drinking with them. Don't go to movies with them. They are your employees, not your buddies.

I've seen departments run into the ground because the new Supervisor/Manager/Director that comes on board feels like they need to be everyone's friend. So that person starts hanging out with their people and soon thereafter, the work ethic goes in the toilet. Why? Because the relationship between work and play becomes blurred.

There's no reason to be a jerk or to be rude or to treat people poorly. Do your best and politely excuse yourself from extracurricular activities.

Good luck!

Phobia
04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
while i agree not to "big shot" people ... the part in bold could be risky. It could work great with some personality types, it might really backfire with others.

imo i would be conservative with information with the entire group and save that kind of talk for a 1-on-1 setting with the people you think it would appeal to.

I definitely wouldn't say that to any aggressive type employees, especially if they are older than you.

I'm guessing the individuals subordinate to him are already well aware of the fact. Owning it and addressing it is a lot more safe than pretending it doesn't exist.

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 10:22 AM
FWIW....I'd be supervising two female employees. The first one is a new employee who's around 15 years older than me. The second one has been here for about 10 years and is 25 years older than me. I'd probably end up supervising one more if they hire someone to take the position I'm doing now.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
FWIW....I'd be supervising two female employees. The first one is a new employee who's around 15 years older than me. The second one has been here for about 10 years and is 25 years older than me. I'd probably end up supervising one more if they hire someone to take the position I'm doing now.

In that case, the only possible way to successfully become the supervisor is to have menaj au trois.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2008, 10:27 AM

I'd also recommend being extremely careful supervising female employees, especially in California. Make sure that you are fully aware of ALL sexual harassment laws and company policies, as saying something as simple as "You look nice today, Pam" could be grounds for a lawsuit.

I assume your company will have sexual harassment training but if not, ask for any literature regarding the policy. This is a very real concern.

Without going into detail, I've seen it happen firsthand. When I was at Paramount, a VP was sued for sexual harassment by an angry, very unhappy woman in his department. Why was this so weird? He was a very gay man, yet she was able to file and win a suit.

Just be careful.

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd also recommend being extremely careful supervising female employees, especially in California. Make sure that you are fully aware of ALL sexual harassment laws and company policies, as saying something as simple as "You look nice today, Pam" could be grounds for a lawsuit.

I assume your company will have sexual harassment training but if not, ask for any literature regarding the policy. This is a very real concern.

Without going into detail, I've seen it happen firsthand. When I was at Paramount, a VP was sued for sexual harassment by an angry, very unhappy woman in his department. Why was this so weird? He was a very gay man, yet she was able to file and win a suit.

Just be careful.

Are you trying to imply that I'm gay? lol

EDIT: NTTAWWT

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM

Of course not!

Just be careful when it comes to managing female employees. I have seen a lot of weird sh*t in the corporate world and I find it hard to trust people because so many are looking to cash out.

Cover your ass.

el borracho
04-02-2008, 10:32 AM
wow, so you're gay? That's going to make the menage a trois very awkward.

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Of course not!

Just be careful when it comes to managing female employees. I have seen a lot of weird sh*t in the corporate world and I find it hard to trust people because so many are looking to cash out.

Cover your ass.

I'm just joking man....I knew you weren't.

Advice taken.

Pestilence
wow, so you're gay? That's going to make the menage a trois very awkward.

Did you see GOATSE as the thread starter?

ChiefaRoo
Of course not!

Cover your ass.

KalifORNia is whack.

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 10:34 AM

I can't get you the TPS report right now, I have a meeting with the Bobs in 5 minutes, in fact - I'm going to have to ask you to just go ahead and leave....

Phobia
04-02-2008, 10:35 AM

EDIT: NTTAWWT
Imply? I thought it was well known.

blueballs
04-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Start swinging your dick around
and they will know just how to manipulate you

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Imply? I thought it was well known.

Just because I was a mod over at WPI.....doesn't mean anything.

Iowanian
04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
spare the rod, spoil the broad.

Be fair, treat your underlings with respect, but don't take any bullshit right off the bat or you'll never regain control or respect. Say what you'll do, do what you say and don't get involved in the petty bullshit, gossiping or talking about anyone in front of anyone else. Everything you say in front of an employee will be known by the rest of them. You can use that to your advantage too.

el borracho
Did you see GOATSE as the thread starter?

I haven't seen GOATSE around here in a while. Why? Are you looking for him?

btlook1

pick your battles

don't hump your employees :hump:

Pretty good advice from Laz and Phobia....so you would have only 3 people to supervise? Must be nice I have 21....I have to babysit every day!

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Pretty good advice from Laz and Phobia....so you would have only 3 people to supervise? Must be nice I have 21....I have to babysit every day!

yeah, I have 18 and many of them are looking for other jobs - high turnover and very low readings on the work ethic scale....

Iowanian
04-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree about covering your ass.

Keep a journal with basic facts and information about your semi-important conversations and tasks assigned. Include instructions, numbers and directives as well as basic contact information and summaries of what was said.

Hopefully, you'll never need it, but its sure nice to pull out what is known in my circles as my "book of facts"...when someone tries to put your dick in the vice in a meeting and says "why did you......." and you pull out your book and say "because on sept 4, you said....and on Sept 9 bob said........"

a1na2
04-02-2008, 10:50 AM
If you are going to be the supervisor you can't be buddies with the people you are supervising.

Phil hit it pretty good and it looks to be sound advice.

If you are running with the people you are supervising it will eventually have an impact on your impartiality, or at the minimum the perspective that others see your impartiality.

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 10:53 AM
If you are going to be the supervisor you can't be buddies with the people you are supervising.

Phil hit it pretty good and it looks to be sound advice.

If you are running with the people you are supervising it will eventually have an impact on your impartiality, or at the minimum the perspective that others see your impartiality.

Nope....not buddies with either one of them. We're friendly on a work level but it doesn't go anywhere past that.

Hoover
04-02-2008, 10:53 AM

I agree with Laz. I would never tell someone that I need their help to be successful. I might say that its now my job to help them be successful.

Early on in my career I ran a internet start up company for a political consulting company. My had me and his political director in for a meeting right after an election cycle. He told us that we needed to work extra hard so that he could put food on his table and get his kids Christmas presents. My counterpart was shaking his head up and down, I looked him in the eye and say why in the hell would that motivate me? I want food on my table, I like your family and all but c'mon.

I walked in the next day and quit. I work for people who help me be successful, I hire people who are willing to give a little bit more because they know I will reward them.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2008, 10:54 AM
KalifORNia is whack.

I learned (often times, the hard way) that many native Californians couldn't be trusted. Honor and word aren't the same as in Kansas.

Another thing I quickly learned was to assume that everyone I met was gay, until proven otherwise. That way, I wouldn't stick my foot in my mouth (which I did a few times :eek:).

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I agree about covering your ass.

Keep a journal with basic facts and information about your semi-important conversations and tasks assigned. Include instructions, numbers and directives as well as basic contact information and summaries of what was said.

Hopefully, you'll never need it, but its sure nice to pull out what is known in my circles as my "book of facts"...when someone tries to put your dick in the vice in a meeting and says "why did you......." and you pull out your book and say "because on sept 4, you said....and on Sept 9 bob said........"

I always send emails "in regards to our conversation" and reiterate the topics that were covered. I then save those emails....

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I learned (often times, the hard way) that many native Californians couldn't be trusted. Honor and word aren't the same as in Kansas.

Another thing I quickly learned was to assume that everyone I met was gay, until proven otherwise. That way, I wouldn't stick my foot in my mouth (which I did a few times :eek:).

better than sticking another body part into a different orifice...

Mr. Plow
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Just so we're clear, I gave you the interview just to appease you. You didn't get the job. Plus, I don't really need a "Sesame Street Supervisor".

btlook1
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
yeah, I have 18 and many of them are looking for other jobs - high turnover and very low readings on the work ethic scale....

I know how that is...I'm pretty easy to get along with but the ones that don't produce hear about it....a supervisor can only do so much. It's ultimatly up to the dude doing the work to sink or swim.

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Just so we're clear, I gave you the interview just to appease you. You didn't get the job. Plus, I don't really need a "Sesame Street Supervisor".

I wouldn't want to work for you anyways.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2008, 11:10 AM
better than sticking another body part into a different orifice...

I heartily agree! ROFL

Coach
04-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Make sure you listen to each employee's concern and treat them with respect, yet be brutally honest and straight forward. Don't beat around the bush.

Give some employees a chance to do their job without being a micromanagement. Give them a chance to do their own thing, as long as it's done correctly, even if you may not like it, but it has been proven in the past that it is effective. Some supervisors micromanage the hell out of everything, and not even thank the employee for doing a good job.

If there is something that has been working for years, don't change it. You can improve it, as long the employees are all for it.

What kind of a supervisor job is it, if I may ask?

88TG88
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
In that case, the only possible way to successfully become the supervisor is to have menaj au trois.

I second this

Phobia
04-02-2008, 11:20 AM

He worked in the granny porn industry. Do you still want the details?

blueballs
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
If you allow employees to blow you to get a head
do it in the early mornings
the tingle from freshly brushed teeth is a nice addition -minty crest

Duck Dog
04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Be fair, be consistent and lead by example.

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 11:40 AM

I work in the Elections business.

Coach
04-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I work in the Elections business.

Ah, going to be in charge of rigging elections, I see.

Good luck with that. :D

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I know how that is...I'm pretty easy to get along with but the ones that don't produce hear about it....a supervisor can only do so much. It's ultimatly up to the dude doing the work to sink or swim.

Absolutely - plus it's sometimes difficult to get good people interested in doing this.

Mr. Plow
04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't want to work for you anyways.

Liar.

wutamess
04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I think its all about knowing each person who works for you really well. Phil said it well, what motivates me might not motivate the next guy. I do my best work when I can make a personal connection for those who work for me. Now it drives me nuts when an employee feels she needs to tell me her life story when shit hits the fan, but I remind myself that I want that environment where people want to come to work and care about others. Its a trade off but it works for me.

I've done it both ways. The most important thing you need in a position like that is integrity.

Exactly...
http://www.kcpcrepair.com/dr/content/something-i%2526%2523039%3Bve-been-thining-about. (http://www.kcpcrepair.com/dr/content/something-i%2526%2523039%3Bve-been-thining-about)

bogey
04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
My definition of management. Getting things done through your people. Show them respect, they'll give you respect. Your employees can keep you employed or get you fired.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Exactly...
http://www.kcpcrepair.com/dr/content/something-i%2526%2523039%3Bve-been-thining-about.

Page not found

Nice. No wonder Sprint dumped you.

wutamess
04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Page not found

Nice. No wonder Sprint dumped you.

Fixed: Thanks!
http://www.kcpcrepair.com/dr/content/something-i%2526%2523039%3Bve-been-thining-about. (http://www.kcpcrepair.com/dr/content/something-i%2526%2523039%3Bve-been-thining-about)

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 12:30 PM
so, pestil - when you find out if you got it?

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 12:49 PM
so, pestil - when you find out if you got it?

I'm applying for it on Friday.

The job opened up 6 months ago but I was turned down because I didn't have 2 years of Elections experience. They interviewed some applicants and never hired anyone for the job. They reopened the job after I hit my two years. I figure I have a 75% chance of getting the job. The only thing that would stop me is if someone applied for it and had WAY more experience and better qualifications.

Mr. Plow
04-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm applying for it on Friday.

Good luck man.

boogblaster
04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Management= ability to suck a golfball through a garden hose ... ability to lie daily to anyone who has a intelligent question ....

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the advice.

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Management= ability to suck a golfball through a garden hose ... ability to lie daily to anyone who has a intelligent question ....

You got turned down for a supervisor's job didn't you. lol

boogblaster
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
No just always had shitty supervision ... Good luck with your job ....

Pestilence
04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
No just always had shitty supervision ... Good luck with your job ....

Well I've had shitty supervision and I've had really great supervision. So I can understand where you're coming from.

Thanks.

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Good luck, bud!
I'm thinking of getting a different job myself, this shiite sucks....

OnTheWarpath58
04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Good luck, bud!
I'm thinking of getting a different job myself, this shiite sucks....

If you're willing to learn a new language, move to KC and develop a drug habit, I'm sure Phil would hire you.

:D

crazycoffey
04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
If you're willing to learn a new language, move to KC and develop a drug habit, I'm sure Phil would hire you.

:D

I'm not entirely sure about that....

macdawg
04-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Some people just hate supervisors no matter what, tell them respect me & I'll respect you, make work fun, I don't harass someone for being 2 minutes late once in a while, only if problems become regular or I'm trying to fire someone, then I'll document everything.

Most of all, reward strong performers, give them the biggest compliment you possibly can, literally give them the biggest compliment ever, they will produce more & more & more and the underperformers will be try harder to improve.

Cntrygal
04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
The next job I apply for will NOT be a supervisor's position. I want to be a "flunky" for awhile.

Skip Towne
04-02-2008, 05:34 PM
The next job I apply for will NOT be a supervisor's position. I want to be a "flunky" for awhile.

I thought you were going to be a slumlord when you got out.

Cntrygal
04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I thought you were going to be a slumlord when you got out.

That's still a future possibility!

bogey
04-02-2008, 05:43 PM

I understand that. I've been in a supervisory position for 20 of my 33 years of employment. Some days I wish I had a job that was simple.

ChiefButthurt
04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Many good bits of advice. Simply stated.....everyone whether they are someones supervisor or not, has their own agenda in life and on the job. Just make sure yours is a positive respectful one.

Pestilence
05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
So yeah.....I got the job and I "officially" start on the 19th of May.

DaFace
05-05-2008, 12:04 PM

Congrats!

xbarretx
05-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I second this advice, phil nailed it....
I'll finish his thought with - don't take the challenge too personal and don't take your work home with you.

cops dont have managment skills Coffey...you guys only have "overly inflated EGO" skills LMAO ..... j/k :p

Pestilence
05-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Congrats!

Thanks.

Buehler445
05-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Congrats and best of luck big man. Management takes an entirely different skill set. Plus the functional knowledge of the process.

crazycoffey
05-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Awesome news, good job!

cops dont have managment skills Coffey...you guys only have "overly inflated EGO" skills LMAO ..... j/k :p

I can manage to overly inflate your lip, boy.....

:p

WilliamTheIrish
05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Congrats!

Here's a book I used that gave me some much needed insight into how to run an operation without being "in the way".

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446529117/bookstorenow18-20

Also, there was some very good advice in this thread from laz, phobia, and Dane. Heed that advice and document, document, document (in email or on a tablet) everything you discuss with an employee under your command.

Pestilence
05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Congrats and best of luck big man. Management takes an entirely different skill set. Plus the functional knowledge of the process.

You calling me fat? :D

Adept Havelock
05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Heed that advice and document, document, document (in email or on a tablet) everything you discuss with an employee under your command.

Absolutely. The purpose of that paperwork is to CYA. The more you have, the better it's covered.

Rain Man
05-05-2008, 12:43 PM

Congrats.

I'll bet your first task will be to fire somebody. Welcome to management!

KC Dan
05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Congrats.

I'll bet your first task will be to fire somebody. Welcome to management!
Congrats! The worst job you'll ever have will be if you have to lay someone off. Dat suks!

xbarretx
05-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Awesome news, good job!

I can manage to overly inflate your lip, boy.....

:p

:thumb: :toast:

Pestilence
05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh joy. I get to supervise three women.

Rain Man
05-05-2008, 01:12 PM

Be sure to flex a lot to keep them in awe of you.

ChiTown
05-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Here's the best advice you'll get......

Don't take career advice from a bunch of idiots (myself included) that spend their time on Message Boards instead of working.:D

Pestilence
05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Here's the best advice you'll get......

Don't take career advice from a bunch of idiots (myself included) that spend their time on Message Boards instead of working.:D

Yeah but now I get to spend more time on message boards with idiots (like you)....while earning more money. :D

XXXshogunXXX
05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
confidence is key..

and there will always be some lazy **** who wants to do things his own way. thats when you break out the whip.

Buehler445
05-05-2008, 06:17 PM
You calling me fat? :D

What are you going to do about it Nancyboy?!

Seriously though, congrats. I applied for a supervisory position also, but I don't think I'm going to get mine.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Listen. If you can master that, and have some good reasoning skills, nothing can stop you. Good luck dude.

Adept Havelock
05-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Make sure you stop in front of their desk to adjust your package no less then 4 times a day.

I knew a guy who pretty much got his career path axed because of that. Only reason he didn't get canned was the people he knew.

crazycoffey
05-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Make sure you stop in front of their desk to adjust your package no less then 4 times a day.

I knew a guy who pretty much got his career path axed because of that. Only reason he didn't get canned was the people he knew.

A girl here at work calls me "sox" - because she thinks I stuff the front of my pants with a pair of socks. I think I'm going to stuff a pair down the backside of my pants and see what she calls me then...

Mr. Plow
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Congrats man!

Pestilence
05-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Looks like I'm in charge of Voter Registration. Look out Clinton....you're going down! lol

ChiefaRoo
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Good call, but I'd watch out if I were you. I mean, quit putting things in your mouth, you know, unless you're into that and the wife says it's ok. I'm just sayin' :)

Rain Man
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM
I've found that it helps to keep a pellet gun on your desk. Even if you don't use it, it keeps the brown nosers cautious.

Jenny Gump
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I manage a department of 43 and I think the key is to at least once a quarter, randomly pick one of your staffers and set up a meeting with them at least 3 days in advance. Then after they have sweat it out, bring them in your office and let them know what a great job they are doing.

Its good for your staff to think you are a little bit off center. Keeps them on their toes.