PDA

View Full Version : KMBC9: Green -- Chiefs Offense Will Be Potent

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 03:01 PM
Green: Chiefs Offense Will Be Potent (http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/kc1/sports/chiefs/stories/chiefs-91367620010810-110823.html)

New System Will Bring Out Best In Everyone

KANSAS CITY, Mo., 12:09 p.m. CDT August 10, 2001 -- Much has been made about the Kansas City Chiefs' plan to replicate the offense that helped Dick Vermeil and the Rams win a Super Bowl two seasons ago.

Even more has been made about the fact that the Chiefs don't have Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce on their roster to help them pull it off, but new quarterback Trent Green told KMBC's Len Dawson that the system will bring out the best in everyone.

"We don't have the 4.3 or 4.4 receivers, but this offense creates situations where they will be open," Green said.

Green is expected to play at least the first quarter -- and possibly the second quarter -- of Sunday's exhibition opener against the visiting Washington Redskins.

The Chiefs experimented with the shotgun formation in practice last year, but never used it in a game. Green said that the shotgun will be a big part of the Kansas City offense this season.

"It's something that will be a big part of our offense," he said. "We will also go with two tight ends a lot, too. Those can create some really good mismatches for us."

KCJohnny
08-11-2001, 03:04 PM
Sounds like Trent's been reading the Planet BB...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 03:17 PM
He might have, actually. He is said to have posted to the Star BB a couple of times before the trade was made and/or the board collapsed, unless that's another urban legend.

philfree
08-11-2001, 03:21 PM
I think its the other way! We've been reading the TC Reports which talk about the 2TE Sets thats been worked on in practice.

PhilFree :cool:

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 03:24 PM
Believe it or not, Phil, we were talking about the 2TE sets before TC started, although it was just speculation at the time. We didn't know whether they'd do it or not.

People told me I was crazy!!

(Well, I am crazy, but that's beside the point!)

philfree
08-11-2001, 03:32 PM
Your right Keg, but really it goes back to last year when we late in the season when were running alot of 2TE with alot of passes going to TRich out of the backfield. There was even an article by Rufus talking about it! Which at this point I find very interesting.

PhilFree :cool:

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 03:42 PM
Keg,

You and I were talking about 2TE sets back in March, IIRC...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 03:49 PM
I think you're correct. Jim-Logical was, as well.

tommykat
08-11-2001, 04:38 PM
I was the one that told you all about Trent Green being on the old BB...and gave his name. Some remembered it. I actually got that from a couple of friends from St. Louis that new what name is was using...It was a fact...;)

tommykat
08-11-2001, 04:40 PM
OOPS.....one more thing and PLEASE no laughing~I'm serious...
I know I have seen the shotgun formation, but would someone remind/refresh my memory of it......:eek:

Tribal Warfare
08-11-2001, 04:41 PM
tommykat- was Trent's username Hot Sauce?

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 04:50 PM
kat,

The shotgun formation involves the quarterback lining up several steps behind the center, rather than right behind him.

tommykat
08-11-2001, 04:54 PM
htismaqe

Thanks......I knew I knew what it was just couldn't picture it...;)

KCJohnny
08-11-2001, 05:28 PM
Uh, not to burst anyone's bubble-
But if DV and AS saw ANYTHING they liked from the '99-00 Chiefs it HAD to be the BIg Tiger sets with T-Rich.
Kudos anyway to Kyle and all you guys who speculated on it being used by AS.

KCJ
Will glory in the new version of Big (T-Rich the) Tiger...

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 05:48 PM
I highly doubt DV or AS care what the Chiefs did last year...they went 7-9...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 05:49 PM
Don't count on seeing anything reminiscent of the Ray-Gun offense, KCJ. They've been using the 2TE set as a passing formation with the TEs running seam and longer routes. It won't be a set where the defense can stack 8 in the box and know it's either a power run, an idiotic sweep by a FB or a screen pass.

KCJohnny
08-11-2001, 09:27 PM
Parker, you are so wrong, friend.
DV was on the Chiefs sideline when the Chiefs smoked the donx for 264 yds rushing. He has reviewed countless hours of film where the Chiefs #8 ranked offense has attracted his attention to be the building foundation of his new scheme. The 2 TE set IS a carryover from the previous regime and you should be glad of it.

Face it: the Chiefs strength for the past two years has been offense, and that is where DV has made his heaviest investment.

KCJ
Thanks to Gun and Jimmy Raye

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 09:53 PM
Parker, you are so wrong, friend.
DV was on the Chiefs sideline when the Chiefs smoked the donx for 264 yds rushing. He has reviewed countless hours of film where the Chiefs #8 ranked offense has attracted his attention to be the building foundation of his new scheme. The 2 TE set IS a carryover from the previous regime and you should be glad of it.

Yeah, DV is reviewing the #8 Chiefs offense. Did you sit with him while he watched that film? I'll believe THAT when I hear DV himself say it in an interview. He coached one of the most prolific offenses in history. I can guarantee you there is nothing about Jimmy Raye's offense that he needs to learn.

Face it: the Chiefs strength for the past two years has been offense, and that is where DV has made his heaviest investment.

Our strength? What was it? Our cellar dweller running game? The fact that we could never score when we needed it most? The fact that we went .500 over those 2 years? Get over it, John. I know how badly you want things to be different, but they're not. Gunther and Jimmy Raye were horrible coaches. Plain and simple.

Thanks to Gun and Jimmy Raye

Yep, thanks for getting the hell out of KC. Now maybe we can win some playoff games...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 10:18 PM
"The 2 TE set IS a carryover from the previous regime"

Wrong.

Several teams running the Coryell system have used dual-TE sets in the last 30 years, and it's only reappeared here now that the coaching staff has realized that they don't have a solid stable of wide receivers to throw to. That's why I predicted it in the first place, because I believed we didn't have the weapons to run a receiver-oriented package. I also believed that moving Mikhael Ricks to tight end would benefit the offense. Both my beliefs have come to fruition, apparently, proving beyond doubt that even an idiot like me can have a good guess now and again.

The Chiefs in the past ran this as a running formation almost exclusively. That will not be the case in the present nor in the future. This strange new thing called "balance" has arrived, and opposing defensive coordinators won't know what the play is going to be 99% of the time.

"thanks to Gun and Jimmy Raye"

I have respect enough for Cunningham to wish him luck in Tennessee so I'll just leave it at that as far as he's concerned. Raye, however, is the second worst offensive coordinator in the NFL, and that's a close second just behind Hackett, who will now destroy any vestiges of offense in New York. Raye is horrible. Simply horrible, and I'm not going to waste any more of my breath trying to explain that to you. It's obvious that your loyalty to Gunther won't allow you be even the least bit objective in this discussion.

Open your eyes, man, because I can't open them for you.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-11-2001, 10:22 PM
Proctor,

Denial...

thats your middle name.

California Injun
08-11-2001, 10:32 PM
Kyle,

Stop wasting valuable bandwidth on Redskin Fan.

His main objective is to "shoot first and spin later."

Save your analysis for those of us who bleed Red and Gold.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-11-2001, 10:34 PM
Cali,

I agree with your post, 100%.

Its getting old, Proctor.

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 10:45 PM
That was my last shot Cal Injun. I'm not going to waste any more of my time trying to explain the obvious to someone who wants so hard to believe something else. He'll say I'm anti-Gun or toting his farsical "Planet party line" or some other garbage, when it's really nothing more than his blind loyalty overshadowing reality. I can respect and understand his love for Gun, but not when that fanatical loyalty overwhelms any semblence of objectivity.

On to the next topic...

The Bad Guy
08-12-2001, 12:54 AM
Proctor,

How can you continue to defend a team that was MEDIOCRE?

You can sit here and rant and rave about how tough this team was, and how we had the 8th best offense and every other pointless thing you can address from last year.

But you know what the end result was?

7-9.

I don't know how can continually defend a team that was headed in a backwords direction.

Thank god the first preseason game is here. I'm sick of hearing about last year. Last year was miserable, regardless of what meaningless stat Proctor can muster up.

Your right Proctor, thank you Jimmy Raye and Gunther. Thank you for losing to Atlanta and embarrasing this franchise into wholesale changes. I can't imagine another year with the three stooges and their leader clueless Cunningham.

JimNasium
08-12-2001, 06:13 AM
There is only one reason that the Chaplain is clinging to his love of the Gunther led Chiefs and it involves a package that Gun sent to him in Korea. It was a nice gesture by Gun but should not excuse his poor decision-making and questionable leadership as HC. It's strange and sad that Proctor is unable to separate his affection for Gun the man vs. Gun the HC.

Rausch
08-12-2001, 06:28 AM
Look,

there is nothing wrong with Proc supporting Gun. He didn't get it done for us, we didn't get a winning average over two years. I wish he could have, I wanted him to more than most. But he didn't. Great guy, bad head coach his first go round....

He did do some positive things, and many do either try to dismiss them or just outright ignore them. His two TE set was often successful. His defense was often successful.

His problem was consistency. His team, like most, took on the mentality of it's head coach. And that mentality was tired, inconsistent, sometimes incoherent, and unpredictable. Sometimes Gun made no sense, sometimes his play calling made no sense, sometimes crucial decisions made no sense. He, and at times his team, seemed to just try TOO HARD. And instead of success, they found confusion and often failure.

HE did do many things right, and I'm sure DV is a smart enough man to take what was done well before him and assimilate it into his own game plan. But in a 7-9 year more was wrong than right.

Just try to remember there was SOME right in last year...

stevieray
08-12-2001, 08:53 AM
God bless him, he did try too hard at times. Can't think of a guy more deserving to succeed. And it's kind of interesting, you know, that so many people would be SO disappointed in a coach who they thought sucked. If you think the guy couldn't do it, don't ***** when he doesn't come through.

I think alot of people expected big things, and when it didn't happen, fans got pissed. Say what you will, but the guy outcoached Shanny and the walrus his first year, and was a FG away from winning the division. How many years was Marty here befrore he did that? How many years before DV does that?

The Chiefs sucked, but there is lot more to it than just Gun. IF Gun was a stop gap, then you can bet your bottom dollar the players knew it, or at least felt it, therefore there really never was a chance.....

htismaqe
08-12-2001, 08:59 AM
Gun was more than a field goal away from the playoffs in 99. 6 runs to Donnell Bennett and ZERO first downs sealed it.

That's what pisses me off more than anything about Marty and Gun. Why does it always have to come down to a fumble, or field goal, or something.

What can't the Chiefs, just once, come out and light up the scoreboard and protect a 17 point lead instead of a 3 point lead?

stevieray
08-12-2001, 09:02 AM
"The Chiefs sucked, but there is alot more to it than just Gun"