PDA

View Full Version : Hillary's chief campaign strategist is LOBBIST for Colombia's Free Trade Agreement

jAZ
04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
She should probably fire him for being an idiot and not taking a LOA from his firm if only for this one project.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120726769569388303.html?mod=hps_us_whats_news

Clinton Adviser's Colombia Talks
Penn Met to Discuss
Free-Trade Pact
Fought by Senator
By SUSAN DAVIS
April 4, 2008

Hillary Clinton's chief campaign strategist met with Colombia's ambassador to the U.S. on Monday to discuss a bilateral free-trade agreement, a pact the presidential candidate opposes.

Attendance by the adviser, Mark Penn, was confirmed by two Colombian officials. He wasn't there in his campaign role, but in his separate job as chief executive of Burson-Marsteller Worldwide, an international communications and lobbying firm.

The firm has a contract with the South American nation to help promote congressional approval of the trade deal, among other things, according to filings with the Justice Department.

Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates, Mr. Penn's campaign-consulting firm, received more than $10 million in payments from the Clinton campaign as of the end of February, according to federal election filings.

Mr. Penn declined to comment. Howard Wolfson, communications director for Sen. Clinton's campaign, said in an email that "Mark was not there on behalf of the campaign" and referred further questions to Burson-Marsteller. "Sen. Clinton's opposition to the trade deal with Colombia is clear," Mr. Wolfson added. A Burson-Marsteller spokesman did not return calls or emails seeking comment.

A spokesman for Colombia's President Álvaro Uribe said that the ambassador met with Mr. Penn to discuss the bilateral agenda. "There have also been meetings with the advisers to the campaigns of Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain," he said, calling the meetings part of the embassy's normal business. "It's the embassy's job to explain Colombia's reality."

The spokesman said he didn't know if Mr. Penn was representing Sen. Clinton or Burson-Marsteller, which signed a $300,000, one-year contract with the Colombian embassy in March 2007 to work on behalf of the trade deal and anti-drug trafficking initiatives, according to the Justice Department filings.

$10,000,000 vs $300,000. What an idiot.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Here's my dream: One of these days you'll learn how to spell and I'll be annoyed only by your viewpoint.

Logical
04-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Here's my dream: One of these days you'll learn how to spell and I'll be annoyed only by your viewpoint.
I really wish he would learn to spell as well, either that or at least get a Y for his keyboard. (I think he mispelled Columbia as well but I am not sure).

j/k jAZ (well sort of)

jAZ
04-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I even have the google toolbar installed with the spell check in it. No excuse here.

(I tried to correct it, but the thread title didn't change. Oh well.)

Logical
04-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I even have the google toolbar installed with the spell check in it. No excuse here.

(I tried to correct it, but the thread title didn't change. Oh well.)
Actually unless the Wall Street Journal cannot spell either, you spelled Colombia correctly (first time I have seen it spelled that way but that does not make it wrong).

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Actually unless the Wall Street Journal cannot spell either, you spelled Colombia correctly (first time I have seen it spelled that way but that does not make it wrong).

Oh. My. God.

Can someone please explain this to Logical? I'm busy experiencing a stroke.

Logical
04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Oh. My. God.

Can someone please explain this to Logical? I'm busy experiencing a stroke.Dammit now I have to google it, be right back.

Logical
04-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Dammit now I have to google it, be right back.OK I saw his other mis-spellings but according to google search he was spelling it correctly to begin with as is the WSJ

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2008, 11:44 PM
"mis-spellings"

**** it all. I'm dead.

Logical
04-04-2008, 12:42 AM
"mis-spellings"

**** it all. I'm dead.Sorrie

jAZ
04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
ROFL

jAZ
04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't believe for a minute that she didn't know about this. Unless her campaign is completely beyond her control at this point.

Penn is the idiot most responsbile for the collapse of her campaign, so I'm not sure why she's still paying him at all.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/04/clinton_aide_sorry_for_trade_m.php

Clinton aide sorry for trade meeting

Clinton Strategist Calls Meeting With Colombian Officials on Trade Deal 'Error in Judgment'

NEDRA PICKLER
AP News

Apr 04, 2008 12:07 EST

Hillary Rodham Clinton's chief strategist apologized Friday for meeting with Colombian officials pushing a free trade agreement that the presidential candidate opposes.

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that the strategist, Mark Penn, met Monday with Colombia's ambassador to the United States. Clinton advisers said Penn's meetings were not connected to the campaign, but part of his job as chief executive of the lobbying and public relations firm Burson-Marsteller Worldwide.

But a Clinton adviser said the candidate was not happy to learn about the meeting, and Penn issued a statement expressing regrets.

"The meeting was an error in judgment that will not be repeated and I am sorry for it," Penn said in a written statement. "The senator's well-known opposition to this trade deal is clear and was not discussed."

jAZ
04-04-2008, 01:35 PM
You think she'd agree given the mess he made of her campaign from the get-go.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0408/Obama_allies_hit_Penn.html

Change to Win, the labor federation that includes SEIU, just sent out a statement demanding Penn's head:

The statement, from executive director Greg Tarpinian:

It's time for Senator Hillary Clinton to send her vaunted 'chief strategist' Mark Penn packing -- back to his job consulting for union busting corporations and anti-labor governments for good.

"We have questioned Penn's role in the Clinton campaign in the past for his representation of union busting employers like Cintas. At that time, Penn said there was a wall between him and his firm's representation of union busters. The latest revelation that Penn -- whose firm represents the Colombian government in its effort to secure passage of a so-called free trade agreement -- is actively involved in securing its passage in the middle of Senator Clinton's presidential campaign is outrageous. It also suggests that he has been playing a double role - advising the Senator on what to say to curry Democratic voters and advising the Colombian government on what to say to curry a majority of votes in Congress.

"The vast majority of Americans do not believe that we should be granting preferential trade status to a government that coddles death squads that target union organizers. Colombia remains the most dangerous country in the world for union members, where more than 2,200 workers have been murdered since the 1980s by Colombian death squads for trying to form unions while the government has done nothing to effectively stop the murders. It is time for Penn to go."

StcChief
04-04-2008, 02:05 PM
The Union ship sailed a long time ago.

jAZ
04-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Hard to say if this is a move in-name-only (ie, for PR benefit alone) or if they are in any way demonting him. My guess is the former.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0408/Penn_sidelined.html

April 06, 2008
Categories: Hillary Clinton

Penn sidelined

The knives have been out in Hillarlyland for Mark Penn for years, but today they finally cut through. In a statement, campaign manager Maggie Williams linked the departure to Mark Penn's meeting last week with the government of Colombia, a private client, but that was just the latest in a long series of distractions triggered by his private work, and his departure also reflects Clinton's obvious dissatisfaction with elements of her strategy.

Says Williams:

After the events of the last few days, Mark Penn has asked to give up his role as Chief Strategist of the Clinton Campaign; Mark, and Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates, Inc. will continue to provide polling and advice to the campaign.

Geoff Garin and Howard Wolfson will coordinate the campaign's strategic message team going forward.