PDA

View Full Version : Greatest chokes by the Chiefs?

BIG K
04-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I got to wondering after a response from Milk in the kicker thread. True, the Chief's have suffered heavily from kickers choking when it counts. Of course the 95' playoff game against the Colt's probably takes the biggest hit. I am wondering what all of you think about other players absolutely blowing a game, preferrably a playoff, but nothing is out of bounds, losing a game for the Chiefs all on their own.

What player, what year, and what game do you remember a Chief absolutely losing the game for the rest of the team? I don't want to see about a player not playing to full par but, a player who went way above and beyond their capability to ensure a loss for the Chiefs.

I will start with the obvious. Lin Elliot, 1995 playoff game against the Colts. Misses three field goals. One kick that was true, would have at the very least sent us to overtime.

Boon
04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
About every game Bartee played in.

kcfanXIII
04-03-2008, 10:39 PM
the kicker who name shall not be mentioned, has been mentioned.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Puke-inducing both for the game and the way it is memorialized on Oakland's official website.

http://www.raiders.com/common/article.aspx?id=1654

To say that the chips were stacked against the Oakland Raiders on January 2, 2000, would be a gross understatement. A loss to the San Diego Chargers, coupled with a Buffalo Bills victory, the week before eliminated the Raiders from playoff contention. Both starting offensive tackles, Mo Collins and Lincoln Kennedy were injured and could not play. Chiefs QB Elvis Grbac had a perfect 5-0 record against the Raiders, and 80,000 screaming Chiefs fans were hungry for another Kansas City victory over their arch rivals.

To make matters worse, a Kansas City victory would have secured the AFC West division title for the Chiefs and first year head coach (and former Raiders defensive coordinator) Gunther Cunningham. The Chiefs had run roughshod over the Raiders for the better part of a decade. K.C. had stolen a 37-34 victory at Network Associates Coliseum back in Week 12 of the 1999-2000 regular season. But, the Raiders were bound and determined to start the new millenium off properly and put the Chiefs back in their place.

Oakland got off to a disastrous start in the first quarter. Chiefs WR Tamarick Vanover returned a Leo Araguz punt 84 yards for a touchdown. On the Raiders next possession, QB Rich Gannon was intercepted by Chiefs S James Hasty who returned the pick 34 yards for another K.C. score. A Pete Stoyanovich 33-yard field goal put the Chiefs up 17-0 with 7:31 left in the first quarter. “We talked all week about getting off to a good start, not doing anything foolish, not turning the ball over, not giving them any quick scoring opportunities,” QB Rich Gannon explained, “Unfortunately, we did just that. We went three-and-out on the first series and ended up punting the football.

“Tamarick Vanover returns it for a touchdown. The next series we go out, we throw an interception and it gets returned by James Hasty for a touchdown. Now we’re down 14-nothing. We go out on our third series and give the ball back. They drive down and get a field goal and we’re down 17-0 and I don’t believe there’s five minutes gone in the game,” Gannon recalled, “The place is going crazy. We did everything we talked about not doing.”

Trailing 17-0, the stage was set for a dramatic Raiders comeback.
With 2:49 left in the 1st quarter, CB Marquis Walker broke through the Chiefs line and blocked a punt. WR and special teams standout Kenny Shedd scooped up the loose ball and raced 20 yards for the Raiders first score, narrowing the gap to 17-7. “It was a momentum swing for us when we really needed something to get us going,” QB Rich Gannon said, “It really jumpstarted us and got us beliveing that we were still in the football game.”

Shedd’s touchdown sparked a 3-touchdown rally that included a 12-yard TD toss from Gannon to FB Zack Crockett. (javascript://), and a 22-yard TD reception by RB Napoleon Kaufman. The latter being the culmination of a drive that was kept alive by a roughing the punter call against Chiefs LB Derrick Thomas.

All of a sudden the Raiders led 21-17 with 4:09 left in the first half after trailing 17-0 early on.

This game, with major playoff implications for the Chiefs, would see six lead changes, 46 first downs, 542 yards passing, and 18 punts betwen the two clubs. It turned into an AFC West shootout that recalled the days of Len Dawson and Daryle Lamonica, and would instantly be etched into the annals of Oakland Raiders lore.

Chiefs QB Elvis Grbac and Raiders QB Rich Gannon traded touchdown passes just before halftime. Grbac found TE Tony Gonzalez on a 7-yard scoring play and Gannon hit RB Tyrone Wheatley on a 23-yard scoring strike as the Raiders took a 28-24 lead into the locker room at the half.

As the second half started, the Chiefs wasted no time in reclaiming the lead they had lost in the blink of an eye. Grbac (20-39 for 243 yards and 3 TDs) directed a 13-play, 98-yard drive that ended with a Joe Horn 15-yard touchdown reception. Horn’s TD catch gave the Chiefs a short-lived 31-28 lead.

After the ensuing kickoff, Gannon hit WR Tim Brown (6 catches for 122 yards) for a 42-yard pass play. Brown’s grab set up Tyrone Wheatley’s bruising 26-yard TD run. Wheatley broke seven tackles en route to paydirt. Raiders 35, Chiefs 31.

Despite the gunslinging between Gannon and Grbac, this game would be decided by the field goal kickers. A sore spot for the Raiders in 1999, the kicking game would play a major role in the outcome of this game.
With the Raiders holding a tenuous 35-31 lead, the Chiefs mounted yet another comeback. Midway through the 4th quarter, Grbac struck again. This time finding WR Kevin Lockett for a 39-yard touchdown play. The Chiefs now led 38-31 and this game was starting to look like a bad rerun of the Week 12 matchup in Oakland. Recently acquired K Joe Nedney was not about to let that happen.

Trailing by three with 45 seconds to go in the game, Nedney drilled a 38-yard game-tying field goal. But, the Chiefs weren’t finished. Kansas City was able to get into position for a 44-yard field goal attempt. K Pete Stoyanovich, whose 44-yarder beat the Raiders back in Week 12, missed this attempt and the game went into overtime.

The Raiders won the toss at the start of the overtime session and elected to receive. That one flip of the coin would decide the game and the Chiefs playoff fate. Chiefs K Jon Baker, handling kickoff duties for KC, pushed the opening overtime kickoff out of bounds setting Oakland up on their own 40 yard line. Rich Gannon continued with the hot hand hitting TE Rickey Dudley and Tim Brown in succession to get the Raiders into field goal range.

Raiders K Joe Nedney came on and blasted a 33-yard field goal to give the Raiders a 41-38 OT victory over the Chiefs. The loss cost the Chiefs not only the AFC West crown, but a trip to the playoffs altogether. The Raiders finished the season at 8-8 and missed the playoffs. But, the victory over arch rival Kansas City at Arrowhead stadium was the perfect way to kick off the new Century. It also proved that you can’t count the Raiders out in any game, regardless of the deficit.

This one will go down as one of the great comebacks in Raiders history and will be considered as one of the best NFL contests in recent memory.

Deberg_1990
04-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Who was that kicker in 99 who kicked it out of bounds against the Raiders?? Jon Baker??

Probably cost us a playoff spot.

Bugeater
04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Puke-inducing both for the game and the way it is memorialized on Oakland's official website.

http://www.raiders.com/common/article.aspx?id=1654
God that game sucked. :grr: I still can visualize Gruden jumping around like he just won the Super Bowl.

Deberg_1990
04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
God that game sucked. :grr: I still can visualize Gruden jumping around like he just won the Super Bowl.

Yep...and that grin on Al Davis's face will haunt me forever. I wasnted to smash my TV.

BIG K
04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
God, I had forgotten about that game. Wasn't that the game where three of the Raiders o-lineman went out with injuries and they still beat us? Ugh. That one definately hurts...

Psyko Tek
04-03-2008, 11:09 PM
'95 the kicker who shall not be named
took my buds to hooters to watch the chiefs win on the big screen

the bowl was in tempe that year and I live in mesa
I was looking for season ticket holders back home to get me seats

but the best planned lays of mice and men...

Mr. Kotter
04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
1997 and 2003....

Any questions? :cuss::cuss::cuss:

:banghead:

:deevee:

keg in kc
04-03-2008, 11:25 PM
1997 and 2003....Don't forget '95.

Mr. Kotter
04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Don't forget '95.

Even I didn't dream Montana and Allen STILL had the magic....at their ages.

'93....maybe, we are just cursed; '95? I wasn't expecting much.

'97 and '03 though??? We should have BEEN there....instead, we became the butt of jokes. :shake:

:cuss:

pr_capone
04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
This thread is ****ing depressing.

I'll start passing around the razor blades.

Kotter, wanna get those used syringes going around the other way as a back-up plan?

Remember now.... its down the highway, not across the street.

*sigh*

Rausch
04-03-2008, 11:49 PM
What a great "right before bed" thread.

Only compounded by the sickening seggs scene in John Adams last night...

keg in kc
04-03-2008, 11:50 PM
'95? I wasn't expecting much.Obviously I wasn't here yet, but as an outsider, I thought the '95 team was better than the '97 team, and the road was certainly easier. Denver was a 12-win team, so there's some excuse, but losing to a 9-7 Indy team led by Jim friggin Harbaugh? That's embarrassing...

Hammock Parties
04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I thought the '95 team was better than the '97 team, and the road was certainly easier. Denver was a 12-win team, so there's some excuse, but losing to a 9-7 Indy team led by Jim friggin Harbaugh? That's embarrassing...

Are you sure you don't mean the 97 team was better? The '95 team won a bunch of games at the end on flukey plays....exciting, but perhaps indicative that they weren't all that great.

keg in kc
04-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Are you sure you don't mean the 97 team was better? The '95 team won a bunch of games at the end on flukey plays....exciting, but perhaps indicative that they weren't all that great.I'm not thinking in terms of '95 chiefs versus 97 chiefs'. What I mean is I think they were better in terms of KC versus the rest of the NFL that year. I think the expansion watered things down a bit, and the AFC in particular was not a very strong conference. So to me, compared with the rest of the league in '95, those Chiefs were stronger than the '97 Chiefs were against the '97 NFL, and I don't think there's any excuse at all for that team not playing Dallas in the Superbowl; it was just a massive, massive chokejob.

But I was primarily watching the NFC at the time, so I won't pretend to be an expert...

Rausch
04-04-2008, 12:26 AM
97 was still the better team and chance. And it was clear that we SHOULD have beaten the Donx.

That was an upset.

KCChiefsMan
04-04-2008, 01:36 AM
the referee's in the 1997 playoff game agaisnt the Donkeys. Tony G caught that TD and the refs said we didn't.

Another one you say? I dunno...

Mr. Flopnuts
04-04-2008, 01:44 AM
97 was still the better team and chance. And it was clear that we SHOULD have beaten the Donx.

That was an upset.

I'll never forget Dan Dierdorf saying "Folks, I'm not sure the better team won here today." as tears were rolling down my face for the first time as a Chief fan.

ROYC75
04-04-2008, 01:48 AM
From 1970 till present ..........

KCChiefsMan
04-04-2008, 01:57 AM
I'll never forget Dan Dierdorf saying "Folks, I'm not sure the better team won here today." as tears were rolling down my face for the first time as a Chief fan.

yup, tears ran down my eyes that day as well. Then my friends called me up to talk $hit, one was a broncos fan and the other was neutral and that just made me more pi$$ed off, then they wondered why I refused to hang out with them for a month