PDA

View Full Version : Voters worried about Obama's health. Senator is a chain smoker..

Bootlegged
04-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Puff puff pass

bkkcoh
04-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Will he go after Big Tobacco? :hmmm:

banyon
04-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Obama could chain smoke the exhaust from a car muffler for five years and he'd still be in better shape than McCain.

bkkcoh
04-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Obama could chain smoke the exhaust from a car muffler for five years and he'd still be in better shape than McCain.

That is kind of unfair, isn't it? Early to mid 40's compared to 70ish. Vietnam POW, cancer survivor.

:hmmm:

banyon
04-04-2008, 07:30 AM
That is kind of unfair, isn't it? Early to mid 40's compared to 70ish. Vietnam POW, cancer survivor.

:hmmm:

Well he did bring the issue up. :)

Direckshun
04-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Isn't this, like, age old news?

Not to mention he's on the record as trying to quit.

Sully
04-04-2008, 07:39 AM
If smoking was good enough for Jed Bartlett, it's good enough for any other candidate.

Saggysack
04-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Voters are worried about an otherwise healthy male in his 40's, but not worried about someone who is only couple ice cream seasons away from reaching his life expectancy?

Anyone more worried about Obama's health because of his smoking and not about McCains age is a SDF.

StcChief
04-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Good can't have him stinkin' up the WH isn't it non-smioking?

HonestChieffan
04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Hope he smokes more and uses unfiltered

NewChief
04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Link? I was pretty sure that he quit for the campaign.

Radar Chief
04-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Voters are worried about an otherwise healthy male in his 40's, but not worried about someone who is only couple ice cream seasons away from reaching his life expectancy?

Anyone more worried about Obama's health because of his smoking and not about McCains age is a SDF.

SDF? Smelly Damp Fart?
No, no, don’t tell me.
Scaly Dermis Feeler?
Uh, Shitty Diaper Filler? That’s gotta be it, I like that one. ;)

jAZ
04-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Link? I was pretty sure that he quit for the campaign.

Link? Bootlegged contributes so little to this forum that he's quit even posting the ARTICLE anymore.

Bootlegged
04-04-2008, 08:36 AM
God forbid you type in Obama and cigarettes into GOOGLE - I know it would take time out of your busy day..

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/04/obama-is-smokin.html

Obama is Smokin'
April 03, 2008 9:29 AM

Last August, I ran into Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, outside the Senate chamber in the Capitol.

This was before the Obama surge, before he had omnipresent Secret Service agents, back when you might see him strolling solo.

We chatted for a second, mainly about the Pakistan speech he'd recently given and about how the media had covered it. He was in good spirits.

As any close friend or family member can attest, I have an unusually keen sense of smell and immediately I smelled cigarette smoke on Obama. Frankly, he reeked of cigarettes.

Obama ran off before I could ask him if he'd just snuck a smoke, so I called his campaign.

They denied it. He'd quit months before, in February, they insisted. He chewed nicorette.

But I knew what I'd smelled and I asked his campaign to double-check and to ask him if he'd had a cigarette.

They reported back that he had told them he hadn't had a cigarette since he quit.

And maybe that was true. Maybe I imagined the cigarette smoke. My olfactory nerve somehow misfired.

Except….last night on MSNBC's Hardball, Obama admitted that his attempt to wean himself from the vile tobacco weed had not been entirely successful.

“I fell off the wagon a couple times during the course of it, and then was able to get back on," he said. "But it is a struggle like everything else.”

Now I wonder about last August.

It's not a big deal in the scheme of things -- the war on Iraq, a major economic crisis -- indeed, it's miniscule. Hardly worth mentioning.

Except that I don't like feeling that I wasn't being dealt with honestly. And as much as citizens who are suspect of the media might scoff at such a notion, many of us consider ourselves to be your representatives to help make sure our leaders are telling us the truth, and leading the country down a path we're confident is the right one. (Corny, I know.)

This isn't the only time I've felt that way about the Obama campaign, of course -- its response to the Austan Goolsbee controversy was a profile in dissembling. (Not that Sens. Hillary Clinton and John McCain or their campaigns are entirely innocent in this area either. Or even that Obama is necessarily the worst offender.)

Still.

- jpt

vailpass
04-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Who be puttin' dey Kools out on my rug?

NewChief
04-04-2008, 08:50 AM
God forbid you type in Obama and cigarettes into GOOGLE - I know it would take time out of your busy day..
- jpt

God forbid that you actually read the article where the guy offers no proof that Obama is still smoking other than the fact that he smelled like cigarettes in August of 2007.

Obama admits that he's fallen off the wagon a few times, but that's hardly definitive proof of being a "chain smoker" as your misleading thread title states.

Bootlegged
04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Who be puttin' dey Kools out on my rug?

Lookin' good Billy Ray

Bootlegged
04-04-2008, 08:54 AM
God forbid that you actually read the article where the guy offers no proof that Obama is still smoking other than the fact that he smelled like cigarettes in August of 2007.

Obama admits that he's fallen off the wagon a few times, but that's hardly definitive proof of being a "chain smoker" as your misleading thread title states.

Awww - is somdin' wong with your hero? If her murders babies will you still keep your mancrush?

NewChief
04-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Awww - is somdin' wong with your hero? If her murders babies will you still keep your mancrush?

Right. Nice rebuttal.

FYI, Mr. Informed, Obama's smoking "problem" has been a known quantity for about 3 years.

jettio
04-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Obama is Smokin'

Last August, I ran into Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, outside the Senate chamber in the Capitol.

This was before the Obama surge, before he had omnipresent Secret Service agents, back when you might see him strolling solo.

We chatted for a second, mainly about the Pakistan speech he'd recently given and about how the media had covered it. He was in good spirits.

As any close friend or family member can attest, I have an unusually keen sense of smell and immediately I smelled cigarette smoke on Obama. Frankly, he reeked of cigarettes.

Obama ran off before I could ask him if he'd just snuck a smoke, so I called his campaign.

They denied it. He'd quit months before, in February, they insisted. He chewed nicorette.

But I knew what I'd smelled and I asked his campaign to double-check and to ask him if he'd had a cigarette.

They reported back that he had told them he hadn't had a cigarette since he quit.

And maybe that was true. Maybe I imagined the cigarette smoke. My olfactory nerve somehow misfired.

Except….last night on MSNBC's Hardball, Obama admitted that his attempt to wean himself from the vile tobacco weed had not been entirely successful.

“I fell off the wagon a couple times during the course of it, and then was able to get back on," he said. "But it is a struggle like everything else.”

Now I wonder about last August.

It's not a big deal in the scheme of things -- the war on Iraq, a major economic crisis -- indeed, it's miniscule. Hardly worth mentioning.

Except that I don't like feeling that I wasn't being dealt with honestly. And as much as citizens who are suspect of the media might scoff at such a notion, many of us consider ourselves to be your representatives to help make sure our leaders are telling us the truth, and leading the country down a path we're confident is the right one. (Corny, I know.)

This isn't the only time I've felt that way about the Obama campaign, of course -- its response to the Austan Goolsbee controversy was a profile in dissembling. (Not that Sens. Hillary Clinton and John McCain or their campaigns are entirely innocent in this area either. Or even that Obama is necessarily the worst offender.)

Still.

- jpt

This reporter is a real man's man. As is anyone who would quote him.

Why did not this little p*ssy of a reporter ask Obama face-to-face if he had a concern, instead of playing this seventh grade schoolgirl routine?

Little p*ssy is crying about not being dealt with honestly while playing the snitch.

Should not this reporter pretend to be a grown man?

noa
04-04-2008, 10:13 AM
If Obama lied to him about a policy then that would be one thing. But I could give a rats ass if Obama fell off the wagon and didn't go up to this reporter and say "HEY I JUST SMOKED A CIGARETTE. WRITE THAT DOWN." He didn't lie, he didn't even dodge. He just ran into the reporter and took off after talking about his Pakistan speech.
Much like the Jane Fonda thread, this one is really grasping for straws.

NewChief
04-04-2008, 10:16 AM
If Obama lied to him about a policy then that would be one thing. But I could give a rats ass if Obama fell off the wagon and didn't go up to this reporter and say "HEY I JUST SMOKED A CIGARETTE. WRITE THAT DOWN." He didn't lie, he didn't even dodge. He just ran into the reporter and took off after talking about his Pakistan speech.
Much like the Jane Fonda thread, this one is really grasping for straws.

In a speech the other day, Obama was talking about Americans taking personal responsibility for our health. He admitted in the speech that he's been known to sneak around and have a cigarette from time to time. He then said that his wife is on his ass all the time to quit and has told any reporters or employees to rat him out if they catch him sneaking a cig.

But I can see how in the minds of some Obama detractors, openly discussing your smoking in a speech equals dishonesty and subterfuge.

stevieray
04-04-2008, 10:26 AM
ROFL...

amusing watching the same people who whine the most about smokers give the free pass...

..if anyone of his supporters were having dinner with him and he asked to smoke, not only would they not mind, they'd prolly offer to light it and put it out for him.

Brock
04-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't care, as long as he doesn't flick it out the window when he's done.

Bootlegged
04-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't care either, I just like seeing all these teenage girls at an Elvis concert get wound up.

jettio
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
ROFL...

amusing watching the same people who whine the most about smokers give the free pass...

..if anyone of his supporters were having dinner with him and he asked to smoke, not only would they not mind, they'd prolly offer to light it and put it out for him.

Have there been many threads on the board where people whined about smoking.

I remember several quitting smoking threads, but I don't know that there have been threads where people have whined about smoking and that there is any chiefs planet cohort of "the same people who whine the most about smokers"

stlchiefs
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Obama lied. People died.

stevieray
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't care, as long as he doesn't flick it out the window when he's done.

that is one thing I can say I don't do..and I've been noticing lately on the highways...a lot of people litter..:shake:

NewChief
04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Have there been many threads on the board where people whined about smoking.

I remember several quitting smoking threads, but I don't know that there have been threads where people have whined about smoking and that there is any chiefs planet cohort of "the same people who whine the most about smokers"

I imagine he's talking about the smoking ban threads, of which there have been many.

Bowser
04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
ROFL...

Incorrect.

HolmeZz
04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
This thread is the kind of wisdom and insight you could only get in DC.

Bowser
04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Lattimer has quite the crush on Obama. He sure spends a ton of time digging up "stories" on his heart's desire.

mlyonsd
04-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I imagine he's talking about the smoking ban threads, of which there have been many.

I agree, but I'd add I think the threads were more geared towards the government's right to allow/disallow it in establishements while keeping it legal at the same time.

acesn8s
04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
And Clinton liked cigars. It's not like anybody really cared about that............oh...wait.

Radar Chief
04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Lattimer has quite the crush on Obama. He sure spends a ton of time digging up "stories" on his heart's desire.

Bootlegged is Lattimer? I had no idea.
See what you guys do to me with the name changes?

Direckshun
04-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Bootlegged:

Any chance you could resize that image so it's not freaking gigantic, please?

StcChief
04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
when Bark burns down the WH we won't be laughing

banyon
04-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Bootlegged:

Any chance you could resize that image so it's not freaking gigantic, please?

Or take it out of his signature? It's way beyond 600x200.

jAZ
04-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Obama is Smokin'

Did you ever find any article to match your claims?

"Voters worried about Obama's health. Senator is a chain smoker.. "

Or are you just going to run with lying?

jAZ
04-04-2008, 09:53 PM
ROFL...

He'd be required to leave my house, just like my dad and mom and father in law.

jAZ
04-04-2008, 09:56 PM
that is one thing I can say I don't do..and I've been noticing lately on the highways...a lot of people litter..:shake:

I've started at least one "why are smokers so willing to throw a cigarette on the ground?" Thread. I've never understood how throwing burning trash out your window or on the sidewalk, ever became OK.

Mr. Kotter
04-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Rrrrooooccckkkkk Ccccchhhhaallllllllkkkkkk, Jjjjjjjaaaayyyyyhhhhhawwwwkkkk....
KKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

RRrooocckk Ccchhaalllllkkk, Jjjaayhhhawkkk....
KKKKKkkkkkkkUUUUuuuuuuuuu.....

RRrockk Ccchhlllkkk, Jjayhawkk....
KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!

ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK, KKK-UUUU!!!

Go Jayhawks!

:KU:

wazu
04-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Interesting. I somehow hadn't heard this about Mr. Hussein. I don't think it will have any impact, though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Interesting. I somehow hadn't heard this about Mr. Hussein. I don't think it will have any impact, though.

Threads like this are the first sign of schizophrenia. You're basically watching people attempting to hold a conversation with themselves.

Great insight though.

alanm
04-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Who cares if he smokes or not?

alanm
04-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I've started at least one "why are smokers so willing to throw a cigarette on the ground?" Thread. I've never understood how throwing burning trash out your window or on the sidewalk, ever became OK.
I'll put it out in your pocket if that makes you feel better. ;)

mlyonsd
04-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Is the WH a smoke free environment? Aren't all Federal buildings?

It'd be kind of cool to be able to drive down Pennsylvania Ave. and catch Obama out on the front steps smoking a cig in the middle of January.