PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watching ESPN pre-game right now?

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 05:57 PM
They were discussing the Vikings defense.

They were saying that the defense should be better now that Willie Shaw has brought in his "aggressive, attacking" style...

Do these dumbasses actually watch the games?

BTW, I still laugh every time I see Tony G in that United Way commercial...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 05:59 PM
Although it's a little bit of a tangent from your meaning Parker, I think this is the same kind of p!ss-poor logic that says the Broncos defense will be better with Ray Rhodes.

Bad players = bad defense, no matter who the coordinator is.

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 06:11 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Joe Theismann just said that in his opinion Willie Shaw is the best defensive position coach in the ENTIRE NFL!

Oh my god, I'm dying...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 06:24 PM
I've said it before and I'm saying it again now.

Randy Moss, attitude and all, may be the single-most dangerous offensive player in the NFL.

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 06:26 PM
Joe Horn is hurt already...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 06:28 PM
He's okay.

Too bad he wasn't a "gunther guy". We could really use him now...

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 06:33 PM
Yeah, it is too bad...it hurts to watch guys go elsewhere and do good knowing they were never given a chance here...

Willie Jackson is turning in a good show...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 06:36 PM
Yeah, really. 5 catches for 75 yards and a TD.

I'd call that a good game for a guy fighting to be the #2 WR...

This game is already more entertaining than that gawd-awful Miami-Lamb Monday Night game.

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking Culpepper took that comment I made about Moss personally.

"Damn it, Kyle, I'M the most dangerous player in the NFL!!!"

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 06:50 PM
Culpepper just scored a TD on an option.

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw the option run in an NFL game (and work).

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 07:13 PM
Culpepper is just freaking awesome...and if Randy hadn't have bobbled that one...it was a perfect pass...

Bennett better have a good year, cause Chapman doesn't look too good...

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 07:17 PM
Nice move by McAllister...I hope we don't regret not drafting this guy...

1 more post to TWO THOUSAND!!! :D

the Talking Can
08-11-2001, 07:18 PM
the Vikings D will be worse than last year, the did nothing to improve it

DaWolf
08-11-2001, 07:31 PM
You know, all those "experts" ripping Denny Green for picking Randy Moss and Daunte Cullpepper in their respective drafts look very foolish...

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 07:56 PM
McAllister doesn't look so good now...

Bennett on the other hand...

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 08:37 PM
Bennett is looking really good...

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 08:46 PM
McAllister is a terrible pass blocker...

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 09:50 PM
Parker, Deuce didn't sign his contract until last Saturday and he's only had 4 or 5 days of practice. He should get better...

Bennett looked good, but then again I thought every Vikings back looked decent. Pretty dominating blocking from the Minny o-line, but to be honest I expected better from the 'aints defense.

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 09:54 PM
Keg,

I could see if McAllister was having trouble making reads or hitting holes.

He wasn't.

He couldn't hold up a block and he couldn't hang onto the ball.

keg in kc
08-11-2001, 10:23 PM
He did have trouble hitting holes. In the running game, that is.

He also had 4 receptions for 43 yards, including a pretty amazing TD grab, so his hands must not be all bad.

Let's just put it this way, I'm not going to write the guy off because he had the jitters in his first pro appearance, any more than I'm going to crown Bennett the next Barry Sanders because he looked good running against the 2nd and 3rd team Saints defense. It was only one game, and the final word on both guys will come after about 20 more.

htismaqe
08-12-2001, 08:05 AM
Keg,

I agree. Of course, I was more analyzing them from the point of view that we could have had them if we hadn't traded our #1 pick. So anything I could find that was bad was good. :D

milkman
08-12-2001, 08:22 AM
Parker,
I think that you may be looking at this from the wrong angle.
I wasn't happy that we gave up our 1st rounder for Green, but if he performs to Vermeil and Saunders' level of expectation, then that will prove to be a pick well spent.

And you know, the thing is, the more I read form the coaches, and the things that Green is saying, the more I feel that he will prove that the pick was well spent.

I'm starting to feel that not only does he have the talent and the leadership, but that he is the one guy that will be able to adjust to the Chiefs offensive personnel and talent level, while adapting to Saunders' ajustments in the system to fit that personnel.

I don't think that Brad Johnson or Steve Buerlein would have adapted to KC's situation as well. And I certainly don't think that Grbac would.

htismaqe
08-12-2001, 08:54 AM
Milk,

I know what you're saying, and at this point, I really think Green was a pick well spent.

Unfortunately, my thinking on this is colored by the fact that I've been waiting 10 years to see a REAL running back in our backfield, and both of the rookies that played last night could have been on our team...

milkman
08-12-2001, 09:07 AM
Parker,
We've all been waiting for that RB for years, but ask yourself, how long have we been waiting for a QB, that combines talent with leadership, and will be around for more than a couple years?

Just FYI, I am in a very small minority that believes that trading for Montana was a mistake.

stevieray
08-12-2001, 09:13 AM
John, you know, the more i think about it, the more you are right about Montana. A groomed QB would've been here how many years? 8?

Mi_chief_fan
08-12-2001, 09:20 AM
He'll be the next Leland McElroy, not the next Barry Sanders.

milkman
08-12-2001, 09:44 AM
stevie,
I've laid out this scenario a couple of times, and has been pointed out, a number of variables could have come into play that could have changed the way that it worked out.

But every time I think about it, I can't help but dream.

Steve Buerlein was available in FA. If the Chiefs had signed him rather than trade for Montana, they would have retained the #19 pick that SF used on Stubblefield.

If the Chiefs had used that pick for Stubblefield instead, then maybe they never go after Chet in FA.

With Burlein in KC, If he remains healthy, something not out of the question, since he hasn't missed many games due to injury throughout his career, then we are never subjected to the Bono years, and we never sign Grbac.

The bonus here is that we then never have to suffer through the Grbac/Gannon debates, and even more satisfying, the Denise GannonObsession.

Also, if Buerlein doesn't miss time, and Gannon doesn't get the playing time he got because of Grbac's injury, do the Raiders go after Gannon in FA?
Highly unlikely.

But Marty wanted Montana. He hired Hackett to install the West Coast offense in order to make KC a more intriging team to Montana.

I think Marty believed, as I did, that the 9ers wouldn't trade Montana to a team he didn't want to play for.

Without Hackett, the Montana trade never goes down, IMO.