PDA

View Full Version : Obama Campaign Calls For 50-50 Split Of Michigan Delegates

jAZ
04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/04/obama_campaign_calls_for_5050.php

Obama Campaign Calls For 50-50 Split Of Michigan Delegates
By Greg Sargent - April 4, 2008, 5:01PM

More news late on a Friday afternoon: In the wake of reports today that the Michigan revote is really, truly, unequivocally dead, the Obama campaign is now calling for a 50-50 split of the delegation.

Here's the statement from Obama campaign manager David Plouffe:

“Senator Obama firmly believes that the Michigan delegation should be seated in Denver. A 50/50 split of the delegates is an eminently fair solution, especially since originally Senator Clinton herself said the Michigan primary wouldn't 'count for anything.' It's now up to the Clinton campaign: they can agree to a fair resolution or they can continue trying to score political points and change the rules. It's time to move forward. Senator Clinton should accept an equitable solution that allows Michigan to participate fully in the convention."
From the Hillary campaign's perspective, of course, this is like nullifying the vote completely and not seating the delegation at all.

HolmeZz
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I think they would've split Michigan and Florida if they re-voted(with Hillary taking Florida and Barack taking Michigan).

WoodDraw
04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
The solution sounds fair to me. The states ignored party rules, knew the punishment, and proceeded. I sympathize with their end goals, but they shouldn't be rewarded for breaking the rules. If they cannot hold new, fair elections, this plan would at least allow their delegates to be seated.

Clinton will object, as anyone in her position should, but she has to provide a solution that doesn't allow the previous elections to stand.

WoodDraw
04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I think they would've split Michigan and Florida if they re-voted(with Hillary taking Florida and Barack taking Michigan).

Either way, the delegate gain would likely be negligible. For Clinton though, any delegate gain is important, and gaining in the popular vote is imperative. That's why she's unlikely to accept anything but the old elections or a full revote.

Taco John
04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
A well thought political strike.

Mr. Kotter
04-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Rrrrooooccckkkkk Ccccchhhhaallllllllkkkkkk, Jjjjjjjaaaayyyyyhhhhhawwwwkkkk....
KKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

RRrooocckk Ccchhaalllllkkk, Jjjaayhhhawkkk....
KKKKKkkkkkkkUUUUuuuuuuuuu.....

RRrockk Ccchhlllkkk, Jjayhawkk....
KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!

ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK, KKK-UUUU!!!

Go Jayhawks!

:KU:

jAZ
04-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Rrrrooooccckkkkk Ccccchhhhaallllllllkkkkkk, Jjjjjjjaaaayyyyyhhhhhawwwwkkkk....
KKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

RRrooocckk Ccchhaalllllkkk, Jjjaayhhhawkkk....
KKKKKkkkkkkkUUUUuuuuuuuuu.....

RRrockk Ccchhlllkkk, Jjayhawkk....
KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!

ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK, KKK-UUUU!!!

Go Jayhawks!

:KU:

Ahhh, drinking induced. ;)

Mile High Mania
04-05-2008, 08:26 AM
I vote for Ventura.

chiefforlife
04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Well played.

HonestChieffan
04-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Why would they do that? He didnt get 50%. Hillary should get every single delegate she earned. More BS by demos to railroad this deal through.

beer bacon
04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Why would they do that? He didnt get 50%. Hillary should get every single delegate she earned. More BS by demos to railroad this deal through.

Hillary did a fantastic job beating Uncommitted (barely) and Kucinich in Michigan. It is not fair to deny her those delegates!

Pitt Gorilla
04-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Why would they do that? He didnt get 50%. Hillary should get every single delegate she earned. More BS by demos to railroad this deal through.I want to quote this to ensure it doesn't get deleted and lost forever. This, my friends, is stupidity at its finest.

whoman69
04-06-2008, 07:54 AM

Hillary didn't earn any delegates. She was the only viable candidate not take her name off the ballot when asked to by the DNC. There was no discussion of issues, no wooing of votes and no campaigning. The vote was either Hillary or undecided. She took this stand on the chance that the DNC would back down and allow the vote to stand.

If you think the DNC is being unfair to Florida and Michigan, they have precedent on their side. DC tried to pull this stunt a few years ago. Their vote was not allowed to stand. They did a revote. Should Florida and Michigan get a pass because they are large swing states? If this had happened in Wyoming or Alaska would anybody be talking about this?