PDA

View Full Version : Working on pick 3 for the Chiefs, need some more suggestions!

cmh6476
04-07-2008, 10:41 AM
1 1 MIA Chris Long DE (Virginia)
2 2 STL Jake Long OT (Michigan)
3 3 ATL Glenn Dorsey DT (LSU)
4 4 OAK Darren McFadden RB (Arkansas)
5 5 KC Sedrick Ellis DT (USC)
6 6 NYJ Vernon Gholston OLB/DE (Ohio St)
7 7 NE Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB (Tenn St)
8 8 BAL Matt Ryan QB (Boston College)
9 9 CIN Keith Rivers LB (USC)
10 10 NO Leodis McKelvin CB (Troy)
11 11 BUF Limas Sweed WR (Texas)
12 12 DEN Ryan Clady LT (Boise State)
13 13 CAR Branden Albert OG (Virginia)
14 14 CHI Jeff Otah OT (Pitt)
15 15 DET Rashard Mendenhall RB (Illinois)
16 16 ARI Michael Jenkins CB (South Florida)
17 17 MIN Derrick Harvey DE (Florida)
18 18 HOU Chris Williams OT (Vanderbilt)
19 19 PHI Malcolm Kelly WR (Oklahoma)
20 20 TB DeSean Jackson WR (California)
21 21 WASH Kenny Phillips S (Miami)
22 22 DAL Aqib Talib CB (Kansas)
23 23 PITT Gosder Cherilus OT (Boston College)
24 24 TENN Devin Thomas WR (Michigan State)
25 25 SEA Phillip Merling DE (Clemson)
26 26 JACK Quentin Groves DE (Auburn)
27 27 SD Kentwan Balmer DT (N. Carolina)
28 28 DAL Felix Jones RB (Arkansas)
29 29 SF Sam Baker OT (USC)
30 30 GB Antoine Cason CB (Arizona)
31 31 NYG Dan Connor LB (Penn State)

1 32 MIA Brian Brohm QB (Louisville)
2 33 STL Calais Campbell DE (Miami)
3 34 ATL (FROM OAK) Carl Nicks OT (Nebraska)
4 35 KC James Hardy WR (Indiana)
5 36 NYJ Brandon Flowers CB (Virginia Tech)
6 37 ATL Joe Flacco QB (Delaware)
7 38 BAL Tracy Porter CB (Indiana)
8 39 SF Cliff Avril LB (Purdue)
9 40 NO Trevor Laws DT (Notre Dame)
10 41 BUF Reggie Smith DB (Oklahoma)
11 42 DEN Early Doucet WR (LSU)
12. (43) Carolina, Jon Stewart, RB (Oregon)
13. (44) Chicago, Mario Manningham, WR (Michigan)
14. (45) Detroit, Jerod Mayo, LB (Tennesse)
15. (46) Cincinnati, Dre Moore, DT (Maryland)
16. (47) Minnesota, Pat Sims, DT (Auburn)
17. (48) Atlanta (from Houston), Curtis Lofton, LB (Oklahoma)
18. (49) Philadelphia, Anthony Collins, OT (Kansas)
19. (50) Arizona, Ray Rice, RB (Rutgers)
20. (51) Washington, Lawrence Jackson, DE, (USC)
21. (52) Tampa Bay, Justin King, CB (Penn State)
22. (53) Pittsburgh, Darrell Robertson, DE, (Georgia Tech(
23. (54) Tennessee, Red Bryant, DT (Texas A&M)
24. (55) Seattle, Dustin Keller, TE (Purdue)
25. (56) Green Bay (from Cleveland), Fred Davis, TE (USC)
26. (57) Miami (from San Diego), Andre Caldwel, WR, (Florida)
27. (58) Jacksonville, Ahtyba Rubin, DT (Iowa ST)
28. (59) Indianapolis, Xavier Adibi, LB, (Virginia Tech)
29. (60) Green Bay, Jason Jones, DE, (Eastern Mich)
30. (61) Dallas, Charles Godfrey, DB, (Iowa)
31. (62) New England, Erin Henderson, LB (Maryland)
32. (63) New York Giants, DaJuan Morgan, S (N. Carolina State)

1 (64) MIA, Martellus Bennett, TE, (Texas A&M)
2 (65) STL
3 (66) KC

Direckshun
04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
First of all, brilliant first two picks. Ellis is #1 on my board, and Hardy & Bowe would make for a lethal combination for a decade. I'd LOVE that Draft.

That said, here are the folks I recommend for you at this juncture. There are eight spots between Indy's pick and yours, so here's eight players I'd love the Chiefs to take with the 66th pick:

1. CB Patrick Lee (Auburn) -- There are few CBs in this Draft who are versatile as Lee. Lee has good size and rarely gets manhandled by bigger WRs, and he has outstanding athleticism and can keep up with virtually any burner. He's an immediate starter, a legit early-2nd rounder, and would be the very best pick for you if you take him.

2. OT Tony Hills (Texas) - I'm a lot higher on this guy than anybody else on this board apparently, but I think he's a surefire RT, possible LT. The guy has astounding upside as a super athletic convert from TE, a stout 300 lbs with room to gain. He is a road grader who punishes the DE in front of him with nasty abandon. He also has the agility to hold off speed rushers. OL is our biggest concern, and he'd be a great building block.

3. WR Early Doucet (LSU) - Doucet is a legit 2nd round talent, as he is an incredibly smart route-runner who knows how to get open despite the fact that his measurables leave something to be desired. He'd be a brilliant underneathe receiver in the Wes Welker mode, and he plays bigger as the games get bigger.

4. OG Chilo Rachal (USC) - Probably one of the best guards in the Draft, I've really warmed up to Rachal in the last couple weeks. The Chiefs seem to be sticking with smashmouth runblocking and Rachal's slow-yet-powerful build is perfect for that. He has incredible drive in his lower body and even sports a good deal of upside.

5. RB Jamaal Charles (Texas) -- Charles is the perfect compliment to LJ's bruising style. He's not too undersized and he sports a lot of upside as his blocking and field vision need polish, but he's got unbelievable speed and this team could benefit from a lot more versatility in their backfield. The last Texas RB we had set tons of records for this franchise.

6. TE Martellus Bennett (Texas A&M) -- Tony G won't be around forever, and he could benefit from having an incredibly athletic TE take a lot of reps to extend his career. TE isn't great concern to us, I understand, but Bennett's sheer ability to run routes is on par with virtually every receiver, and you can't argue with a 6'7" basketball player with an insane vertical.

7. DT Frank Okam (Texas) -- Before somebody here thinks I'm a Texas homer: I ain't. But Okam is a 1st round talent that your mock has devalued for some reason. Okam's not a great fit for the Chiefs, as he isn't particular fast, but he's a big fat run stopper of the highest order. You need a great DT corps to win, and the combination of Ellis and Okam joined with the combination of Tank and Turk would frontload this defense for a decade.

8. OLB Erin Henderson (Maryland) -- LB is much more a concern this year than it was last year, and Henderson is legitimate 2nd round talent to help the Chiefs rectify their aging, slowing unit. The Chiefs need a smart LB on the other side to compliment DJ. Henderson would be a slightly awkward fit for the Chiefs, as he's a bit too big or slow for them, but you can't argue with this value if he falls that far.

The Franchise
04-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I'd put Chilo Rachal over Doucet.

EDIT: Looks like Doucet was taken in the 2nd round by Denver.

Direckshun
04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Draft him again, says I.

kcchiefsus
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
It sure as hell better be the best offensive lineman on the board or we are in trouble. I'm fine with those first 2 picks but at some point you have to ignore the BPA and take some offensive linemen.

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
If you get Patrick Lee that would be a hell of a draft.

CupidStunt
04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Patrick Lee probably doesn't last, but if he does that is a FILTHY draft.

Direckshun
04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
If you get Patrick Lee that would be a hell of a draft.
Incredibly unrealistic, though.

cmh6476
04-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, if I get Lee and those 3 are as nasty as you all say they are, we're loading up on talent but will still suck because of the sucky O-Line, which would guarantee solid picks again next year where we could then address the O-Line :)

cmh6476
04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
updated through the 2nd round, only 3 picks to go, Lee still being available. I guess with this draft, our O-Line looks like LT McIntosh, LG Waters, C Niswanger, RG Taylor, RT Svitek

:shrug:

Mr. Laz
04-07-2008, 12:15 PM
wow ...... somebody likes Hardy

anthony collins going high too

melbar
04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
First of all, brilliant first two picks. Ellis is #1 on my board, and Hardy & Bowe would make for a lethal combination for a decade. I'd LOVE that Draft.

That said, here are the folks I recommend for you at this juncture. There are eight spots between Indy's pick and yours, so here's eight players I'd love the Chiefs to take with the 66th pick:

1. CB Patrick Lee (Auburn) -- There are few CBs in this Draft who are versatile as Lee. Lee has good size and rarely gets manhandled by bigger WRs, and he has outstanding athleticism and can keep up with virtually any burner. He's an immediate starter, a legit early-2nd rounder, and would be the very best pick for you if you take him.

2. OT Tony Hills (Texas) - I'm a lot higher on this guy than anybody else on this board apparently, but I think he's a surefire RT, possible LT. The guy has astounding upside as a super athletic convert from TE, a stout 300 lbs with room to gain. He is a road grader who punishes the DE in front of him with nasty abandon. He also has the agility to hold off speed rushers. OL is our biggest concern, and he'd be a great building block.

3. WR Early Doucet (LSU) - Doucet is a legit 2nd round talent, as he is an incredibly smart route-runner who knows how to get open despite the fact that his measurables leave something to be desired. He'd be a brilliant underneathe receiver in the Wes Welker mode, and he plays bigger as the games get bigger.

4. OG Chilo Rachal (USC) - Probably one of the best guards in the Draft, I've really warmed up to Rachal in the last couple weeks. The Chiefs seem to be sticking with smashmouth runblocking and Rachal's slow-yet-powerful build is perfect for that. He has incredible drive in his lower body and even sports a good deal of upside.

5. RB Jamaal Charles (Texas) -- Charles is the perfect compliment to LJ's bruising style. He's not too undersized and he sports a lot of upside as his blocking and field vision need polish, but he's got unbelievable speed and this team could benefit from a lot more versatility in their backfield. The last Texas RB we had set tons of records for this franchise.

6. TE Martellus Bennett (Texas A&M) -- Tony G won't be around forever, and he could benefit from having an incredibly athletic TE take a lot of reps to extend his career. TE isn't great concern to us, I understand, but Bennett's sheer ability to run routes is on par with virtually every receiver, and you can't argue with a 6'7" basketball player with an insane vertical.

7. DT Frank Okam (Texas) -- Before somebody here thinks I'm a Texas homer: I ain't. But Okam is a 1st round talent that your mock has devalued for some reason. Okam's not a great fit for the Chiefs, as he isn't particular fast, but he's a big fat run stopper of the highest order. You need a great DT corps to win, and the combination of Ellis and Okam joined with the combination of Tank and Turk would frontload this defense for a decade.

8. OLB Erin Henderson (Maryland) -- LB is much more a concern this year than it was last year, and Henderson is legitimate 2nd round talent to help the Chiefs rectify their aging, slowing unit. The Chiefs need a smart LB on the other side to compliment DJ. Henderson would be a slightly awkward fit for the Chiefs, as he's a bit too big or slow for them, but you can't argue with this value if he falls that far.

Nice list. Lee and Rachal could be steals.
I'd add these

9. JOhn Grecco. (Toledo) G/RT I've seen him listed as the top guard. Solid blockerwith the brain and brawn to make up for other flaws. Leader. Plays with good knee bendand identifies defensive schemes. Strong punch. He has the attitude and smarts to be around a long time as a starter. Reminds me of Szott.
10. Mike Pollak. (Arizona St.) C Top Center in the draft listed as a 2nd rounder. Very strong and smart. Great initial quickness and a great leader.
11. Ali HIghsmith (LSU) OLB Smart, instinctive, undersized and plays with a lot of heart. Sort of like Derrick Brooks. Defeats cut blocks and scrapes to the outside. Outstanding competitor, great instincts. Experienced special teamer too. Reads and reacts, doesnt get out of position, Rare speed and precice change of direction.
12. Charles Godfrey. (Iowa) CB Physical heat-seeking defender. Reliable tackler, creates turnovers. Still a bit raw, great size and athletic ability. Versitile.

cmh6476
04-07-2008, 12:24 PM
wow ...... somebody likes Hardy

anthony collins going high too

:shrug:

When I posted the thread for round 2, everyone seemed to like Hardy. It is another position of need for us, even though we have lots of holes at this point.

cmh6476
04-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Miami took Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M. One more pick to go.

The Franchise
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Take Patrick Lee

melbar
04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Hardy was a solid pick.

Direckshun
04-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I thought Hardy was a great pick. I've been saying how he's maybe the one player I'd consider trading up for.

SBK
04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I'd go with Patrick Lee, Tony Hills or Chilo Rachal.

cmh6476
04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
if Lee goes, is the pick Hillis or Rachal?

Sfeihc
04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I like Hardy in the second. Imagine the Red Zone match up problems with D. Bowe, TG and Hardy? Three guys who can dominate one-on-one match ups.

I'd go with Hills, Rachal and then Lee. You've still got the picks left to fix the OL and add some players at CB.

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah go with Hills.

kcchiefsus
04-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, if I get Lee and those 3 are as nasty as you all say they are, we're loading up on talent but will still suck because of the sucky O-Line, which would guarantee solid picks again next year where we could then address the O-Line :)

Not only would we have to address the O-Line but we would probably also have to address quarterback since Croyle stands no chance behind the current line and even if he does make it through the season without injury the offense will likely be so bad that we will have no choice but to go a different direction at quarterback.

kcchiefsus
04-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Is Duane Brown still on the board? I would consider taking him at tackle over Tony Hills.

Direckshun
04-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I'd opt for Hills.

Not because I think he's worlds better than Rachal, but because you can still pick up great OGs for our scheme deeeeeeeeep into this Draft.

All things being equal, OT > OG.

The Franchise
04-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I guess I'll switch.

Grab Hills now and then try and grab a CB in the 4th.

cmh6476
04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
rachal went to stl, I think I'm going to go with Lee. Maybe we can find someone off the scrapheap in FA to fill holes on the OL :shrug:

Direckshun
04-07-2008, 01:59 PM
No, you must stick with BPA. CB is a huge need.

Don't even blink, go with Lee.

Brilliant Draft.

SBK
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
No, you must stick with BPA. CB is a huge need.

Don't even blink, go with Lee.

Brilliant Draft.

I agree, our needs at CB are maybe even worse than our need for o-line. Great draft!!!

Quick, send your resume to Clark Hunt now!

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Go with Lee, high second round value in the 3rd plus corner is a big need as well. You can get some good lineman in the 4th and 5th round.

DaKCMan AP
04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
11. Ali HIghsmith (LSU) OLB Smart, instinctive, undersized and plays with a lot of heart. Sort of like Derrick Brooks. Defeats cut blocks and scrapes to the outside. Outstanding competitor, great instincts. Experienced special teamer too. Reads and reacts, doesnt get out of position, Rare speed and precice change of direction.

:spock: You can't be serious. Ali Highsmith will never be the type of player Derrick Brooks has been for a decade. Derrick Brooks is a HOF type guy, Ali Highsmith, IMO, is a situational player. You're right that Highsmith is instinctive and undersized, but he's slow as balls. I've seen him get out of position and take chances rather than stay at home. He'll be lucky to go in the 5th round, no way you take him in the 3rd.

Mr. Laz
04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I thought Hardy was a great pick. I've been saying how he's maybe the one player I'd consider trading up for.

well that seals it ...... avoid Hardy at all cost.

LMAO

melbar
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
:spock: You can't be serious. Ali Highsmith will never be the type of player Derrick Brooks has been for a decade. Derrick Brooks is a HOF type guy, Ali Highsmith, IMO, is a situational player. You're right that Highsmith is instinctive and undersized, but he's slow as balls. I've seen him get out of position and take chances rather than stay at home. He'll be lucky to go in the 5th round, no way you take him in the 3rd.

Honestly I havent seen him play where I was paying a lot of attention to him. I was just basically plagerizing Athon. They have him ranked #2, with smarts and good speed. Looking at a few other sources it looks like you may be right about being situational. I havent seen him rated lower than a 4th round projection, but honestly I havent paid as much attention to LB's in this draft. Just trying to give some options to look at.

DaKCMan AP
04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Honestly I havent seen him play where I was paying a lot of attention to him. I was just basically plagerizing Athon. They have him ranked #2, with smarts and good speed. Looking at a few other sources it looks like you may be right about being situational. I havent seen him rated lower than a 4th round projection, but honestly I havent paid as much attention to LB's in this draft. Just trying to give some options to look at.

His stock has plummeted after running a 4.96 at the combine and then another unimpressive 4.74 at his pro day. When you're undersized at LB you better be able to run.

melbar
04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
His stock has plummeted after running a 4.96 at the combine and then another unimpressive 4.74 at his pro day. When you're undersized at LB you better be able to run.

Not being a high draft pick, I hadnt seen his combine numbers, just his pre-combine numbers. That is pretty awefull.

kcchiefsus
04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
rachal went to stl, I think I'm going to go with Lee. Maybe we can find someone off the scrapheap in FA to fill holes on the OL :shrug:

Yeah, since that has worked so great in the past.

Jordan Black
Will Svitek
Kevin Sampson
Brett Williams
Tre' Stallings
Jeremy Parquet

Those late round OL are working GREAT for us.

kcchiefsus
04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I agree, our needs at CB are maybe even worse than our need for o-line. Great draft!!!

Quick, send your resume to Clark Hunt now!

This is the cover 2 we are talking about.

kcchiefsus
04-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Go with Lee, high second round value in the 3rd plus corner is a big need as well. You can get some good lineman in the 4th and 5th round.

And what if the BPA in the 4th or 5th is not an OL? Continue to ignore the line?

Anybody who thinks a team goes BPA in rounds 1-7 is ****ing stupid. It just doesn't happen.

Ebolapox
04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
wait. limas f*cking sweed went eleven overall? who the f*ck is drafting for buffalo, a UT alum?!?

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2008, 10:15 PM
And what if the BPA in the 4th or 5th is not an OL? Continue to ignore the line?

Anybody who thinks a team goes BPA in rounds 1-7 is ****ing stupid. It just doesn't happen.

Dude right now in this draft scenario there is no OL worth that spot, it would be ****ing stupid to take one when Patrick Lee is there and fills our second biggest need.

SBK
04-07-2008, 10:19 PM
This is the cover 2 we are talking about.

We don't even have 1 good corner right now, cover 2 or not.

kcchiefsus
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
If the draft goes like this you can go ahead and sign up for a 2009 mock like this and you will be guaranteed the #1 pick. Of course, that pick will also have to be a quarterback since Croyle is going to get broken in half this year with the current line.

SBK
04-07-2008, 11:16 PM
If the draft goes like this you can go ahead and sign up for a 2009 mock like this and you will be guaranteed the #1 pick. Of course, that pick will also have to be a quarterback since Croyle is going to get broken in half this year with the current line.

The line will be better next year as-is, but we have 10 picks this year you know, which means there's 7 more picks after this one in which to improve our line.....:shake:

kcchiefsus
04-08-2008, 12:15 AM
The line will be better next year as-is, but we have 10 picks this year you know, which means there's 7 more picks after this one in which to improve our line.....:shake:

And as I said previously, those late round offensive linemen have worked GREAT for this team.

Anybody ever stop to think our horrible offensive line might have to do with the fact that we haven't used a 1st day pick on an offensive lineman since 1999.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Patrick Lee is the OBVIOUS choice here.

SBK
04-08-2008, 12:19 AM
And as I said previously, those late round offensive linemen have worked GREAT for this team.

Anybody ever stop to think our horrible offensive line might have to do with the fact that we haven't used a 1st day pick on an offensive lineman since 1999.

Our best lineman wasn't even drafted correct? I'm sure you'd rather have someone like Robert Gallery than Brian Waters?

Draft position doesn't guarantee anything. Reaching for an offensive lineman just so you take one on the first day isn't going to all the sudden make that guy a stud.

kcchiefsus
04-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Our best lineman wasn't even drafted correct? I'm sure you'd rather have someone like Robert Gallery than Brian Waters?

Draft position doesn't guarantee anything. Reaching for an offensive lineman just so you take one on the first day isn't going to all the sudden make that guy a stud.

Our best lineman now wasn't drafted, yes. So does that mean we can get an all pro line from UDFA? I wouldn't count on it.

There are plenty of offensive linemen that can be had in the first day who are not a reach. It doesn't even have to be a tackle. We could draft a center which would allow us to leave Niswanger at right guard and 2 positions would be covered right there. We could draft a guard and leave Niswanger at center.

Going by this draft there are quite a few offensive linemen still on the board who are late 2nd-early 3rd round prospects:

OG Roy Schuening, Oregon State- was once ranked as the top guard in the draft before the rise of Branden Albert
C Mike Pollak, Arizona State- An excellent center prospect who would really help this line
OT Duane Brown, Virginia Tech- A somewhat raw prospect but is rising up draft boards and has the athleticism to play left tackle

Ok, so maybe there are not "quite a few" prospects worth taking at this spot but those 3 would all be worthy of our pick in the 3rd round.