PDA

View Full Version : Green playing:1 to 2 Quarters stupid.

StLouisBob
08-12-2001, 09:16 AM
WHy in the wide wide world of sports is Cryin Dick playing Green. Does he have that short of a memeory. I understand that Green needs game time reps but to play him 1 to 2 quarters is ridiculous. You dont have an unknown Kurt Warner as your backup. Warner will play one series against the Buffalo Bills. Two handoffs and a pass and you are done. WHy risk it.

Question not flame: WHy don't the chiefs have another young QB to build. Is that what the 3rd string QB is made for. I am not thrilled to have Joe Germain in as our 2nd stringer and would love to see him as the 3rd but Martz feels that he is ready for the #2 position, and since the man has a ring on his resume and is talking about the offense I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Dennis Green and the Minn admin. are the biggest idiots in the NFL. I get so sick and tired of listening to the D Green is the smartest NFL coach and how he has done so much in MInn. Yet he cannot win the big game. Never won a title other than a division title. The thing for me that makes me realize he is an idiot is due to the fact that they have consistantly drafted Offensive players when their defense is the reason the lose so much in the big games. Martz in his first year drafted offense but that was after the Rams were 6th in the league in defense after last year look what he did. 3 #1 picks and they all went defense. Now if 2 out of the 3 turn out to be studs it will be a super draft if 1 turns out it will e a great draft, but if all 3 start next year and produce look out.

Good luck in tonights game. Don't do like I have in the past and take a lot from it. As long as no one gets hurt its a win especially in the 1st game.

Fat Elvis
08-12-2001, 09:27 AM
Bob, I don't think Trent will be in there for his sake--rather I think DV wants him in there so that his teammates get a better feel for him. Trent knows the O, the rest of the team needs to play catch up with Trent and the only way they can really do that is in a game situation. I know its a gamble, but big risks can yield big rewards when it really counts.

chief52
08-12-2001, 09:27 AM
1-2 quarters sounds about right to me. It is a new team and system and which can only improve with reps. 1 quarter is nothing! Think it is best to give DV the benifit of the doubt here. I think he knows where he is coming from in this decision. Not really a big deal one way or the other. Quarterbacks get hurt in the NFL and if or when your QB goes down it is not the coaching staffs fault.

stevieray
08-12-2001, 09:35 AM
Just because Warner and the Rams do it, we should do it too?

How did football ever survive before the Rams?

I think a more realistic approach has been set. If he does well, he gets pulled sooner.

Mi_chief_fan
08-12-2001, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by StLouisBob
WHy in the wide wide world of sports is Cryin Dick playing Green. Does he have that short of a memeory. I understand that Green needs game time reps but to play him 1 to 2 quarters is ridiculous. You dont have an unknown Kurt Warner as your backup. Warner will play one series against the Buffalo Bills. Two handoffs and a pass and you are done. WHy risk it.

I am not thrilled to have Joe Germain in as our 2nd stringer and would love to see him as the 3rd but Martz feels that he is ready for the #2 position, and since the man has a ring on his resume and is talking about the offense I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Let's not forget who got the ring for Martz. If you won't question Martz because "he's got a ring", why question Vermiel?

htismaqe
08-12-2001, 09:56 AM
1) I think they'll lean towards 1 quarter, not 2

2) We do have a young quarterback to groom, hopefully. His name is Ryan Helming and he broke all the records at UNI, formerly held by some guy named Kurt Warner...

TCB
08-12-2001, 10:03 AM
Uh...Bob, I guess you haven't heard that we have a new coaching staff and a new QB in KC.
They probably should get some time in real game situations before the season starts. You know timing between the QB and his receivers, new offensive schemes and defensive schemes and all that minor stuff.
You never know who DV might have in for a look at 3rd string QB once cuts are made.

ken man

has missed bob

Mi_chief_fan
08-12-2001, 10:11 AM
He gets his info from Jeff Gordon in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He's a far worse journalist than Whitlock, and that's saying something.

I do enjoy Rick Hummel's write-ups on the Cards, however.

StLouisBob
08-12-2001, 10:38 AM
I question Martz on Defense only. ANother reason BM (Before Martz) our best season was 6-10. I know that timing is important, but learn it in practice. Just hate to see Green go down, not because I am a CHiefs fan but because he is a hell of a guy.

I did not know you had another QB in the wings. Thats great. I wish the NFL would start a Minor League system to develop positions like QB.

Jeff Gordon is about the same as Whitlock. They both change their minds often and never stick to anything.

IMO Berni Mic is the best sports writer in Missouri. Whitlock gets on ESPN because he is black and a journalist from a major newspaper. You know we got to keep up with that diversity thing.

Mi_chief_fan
08-12-2001, 10:46 AM
I respect Bernie, because he comes to the Cards forum and answers our questions. I respect Hummel as well. As for the Whitlock-Gordon comparison, at least you can get in touch with Whitlock. Gordon is such a chicken-$hit that he won't leave an address or number to call him out. He's gutless.

The NFL does have a "minor league", it's called NFL Europe. They had discussed a similar plan with the CFL a few years back, but it seems to have fallen through.

As far as Whotlock being on Sports Reporters, i'm not gonna touch it.

StLouisBob
08-12-2001, 11:22 AM
I realize NFL Europe but what I am talking about is a minor leagu system that is designed for each individual team. Like in Baseball. If they stuck a Rams Minor League Football team in St. Charles and a Chiefs in Blue Springs and played right after the football season (So players who dod good won't be too banged up to play in the NFL) they would sell out every game.

VAChief
08-12-2001, 11:36 AM
"Whitlock gets on ESPN because he is black and a journalist from a major newspaper. You know we got to keep up with that diversity thing."

What a sad, pathetic point of view. I suppose Bill Conlin gets on ESPN because he represents white, fat *** couch potatos.

Mi_chief_fan
08-12-2001, 01:21 PM
Honestlly, Bob may be on to something. Can you seriously put Whitlock in the same group as Mike Lupica, Bob Ryan and Mitch Albom? Why else would they want Whitlock, other than a diversification project gone terribly wrong?

Alphaman
08-12-2001, 02:17 PM
Whitlock is on because he is controversial and he is unafraid to make the outrageous statement. It all began at a golf tournament (I can't recall which one, but it was a major) and Whitlock pressured on the golfers on an issue. That incident brought him national exposure.

Many of you do not like Whitlock. I do. I don't always agree with him, but I like the fact that he is not afraid of raising the difficult issue, not afraid to take the unpopular stance, and addresses race issues (including reverse discrimination) head on.

Speaking of diversity, the sports reporters already has an African-American journalist. I believe he is from the Washington Post.

Mi_chief_fan
08-12-2001, 02:44 PM
Actually there's 2 others, Michael Wilbon and William C. Rhoden, but i'm not sure who they write for.

Cannibal
08-12-2001, 02:59 PM
Wilbon writes for a D.C. paper.

StLouisBob... take your racist arse back to a Ram board and continue jerkin off all over yourself while day dreaming about "Spurt Warner" taking you from behind!

Fuggin ahole

StLouisBob
08-12-2001, 03:39 PM
How the hell else can you explain the fact that all of the people on the sports reporters are from the NY TImes the Philedelphia Examiner the Boston Globe and then the other black guy is from the KC Times. You gotta freaking be killing me the KC TImes does not even come close in fitting with those other newspapers as far as readerships go. Like the other poster said Mike Lupica, Albom, Conlin, Mike Wilbon and Jason WHitlock. WOuld WHitlock with all his controversialness be on the sports reporters if he was white. Ask Bernie Micslaz from the St. Louis Post Dispatch much better writer and has never been on the Sports Reporters you idiots need to wake the hell up.

Wilbon is from the post. Another guy I can't stand. Always rooting for the minority. Like the Sammy Sosa Mark McGwire HR contest a couple of years ago. NOw I don't blame him for rooting on his fellow minority groups I just hate the fact that if he was white ane rooted openly for only whites he would be a racist.

I was listneing to WHitlocks show and he stated that its ok for a black guy to root on another black athlete because he is black. They were talking about Tiger Woods. NOw if a white guy stated that he would be hung.

A black congressman told his son he wanted him to play football only for a black coach could you imagine John Ashcroft tell ing his son to only play for a white coach. Double standards at its best.

WHy is it when you state the truth you are a racists? Black people are better dancers than white people is that a raciststs statement? WHite poeple are better swimmers, is that the truth or a racists statement.

KCWolfman
08-12-2001, 06:33 PM
Whitlock is on because he is controversial and he is unafraid to make the outrageous statement.

The last controversial statement Whitlock made almost cost him his job..... holding up signs in New England stating "Drew Bledsoe is Gay" is hardly journalistic material.

California Injun
08-12-2001, 06:54 PM
Bob,

How do you know black people are better dancers than white people? It just depends on what music you dance to if you ask me.

I've seen some crafty white codgers do a mean Electric Slide that would cause a brutha to stumble like a one legged man in a kicking contest.

Conversely, Shabba-Do was able to break dance on his head without fracturing his skull and Michael Jackson could Moonwalk like a bastage.

Ever watch a white guy try to Moonwalk? He looks like Neil Armstrong without the gravity suit.

And don't mess with the Hispanics when it comes to the Samba or Cha-Cha.

Think any blacks could dance better than Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers doing a Waltz, Foxtrot, or Swing?

But put some taps on the shoes of Gregory Hines and watch the sparks fly.

No particular race has an advantage over the other in any skill if you ask me. It's more cultural than anything else.

That and working at it like a mutha until you get it right.

Rausch
08-12-2001, 07:03 PM
Bledsoe might just be....

Whitlock might have "first hand" info...

:D

Rausch
08-12-2001, 07:10 PM
Injun...

I'd have to respectfully disagree...

Skin, hair, and eye color are not the only way people are different.

THe Vikings are well known for being very large people, as a group. They were just bigger than most other European people. That might just be one reason you see Europeans dominate the world's strongest man competition. If you have more bigger guys you've got a better shot at the bigges/best comming from your area...

It's not racist, it's fact. Birds, bears, rats, snakes, and every type of life on earth is different from one continent to the next. That includes people. Not better or worse, just different.

California Injun
08-12-2001, 07:18 PM
Brad,

The Vikings may be strong people but that is not to say a Samoan can't train for the competition and kick some major butt.

It's akin to the Sumu wrestlers. The Chinese are culturally geared towards this belly-bumping sport, but a few Americans have managed to pork themselves up to take a few titles with extensive immersion into that sport.

It harkens back to the genetic vs. environment argument. Could any of us train like bastages from birth to attain greatness in a particular skill?

Richard Williams could probably answer that with his two daughters mopping up the WTA.

Rausch
08-12-2001, 07:23 PM
Injun,

I look at it as darwinism...Eskimos can handle the cold MUCH better than you or I, or even your children if they grew up there starting tommorow.

Now, you move there and your decendants live there for a few thousand years and I'd be willing to bet that the one's that couldn't handle the cold would die. The one's who have genes that help them handle the cold better would survive. Eventually Injun's bloodline would be just as good at handling the cold as an Eskimo, while still being a (fill in your ethnicity here.)

Now, this takes place through natural selection and a LONG time. Your children wouldn't adapt quicly enough to be AS GOOD on the average as an Eskimo. But if your family line lived there LONG ENOUGH, eventually they would be....

VAChief
08-12-2001, 11:45 PM
Bob says in one statment that Whitlock works for a major newspaper then the next statement downplays that employment saying it has nothing to do with his personality obviously because he doesn't work in New York, Philadelphia,etc...only because he is black...The Sports Reporters carries white buffoons as well...see earlier post on Conlin...if there was ever a self-righteous blowhard bigger than that fat arse I have yet to see them...

I don't particularly care for Whitlock's style...but I can easily see why he was chosen for the Sports Reporters as they are mainly interested in creating debate and discussion. Idiotic comments about race (when in truth, neither Bob or any of us knows why Whitlock was chosen) being a factor only underlines why we still have affirmative action.

mcan
08-13-2001, 02:34 AM
And the only reason Dennis Miller got the Monday Night gig was because he was black... Wait a second... :rolleyes:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2001, 02:38 AM
Yep.

:p

StLouisBob
08-13-2001, 06:01 AM
WHy don't we have affirmative action in sports. SO you are telling me in the entire mid-west Whitlock is the best reporter. Oh by the way since his show put that girl on it has went down hill they don't even talk sports anymore.

StLouisBob
08-13-2001, 06:15 AM
ONe more thing. I noticed that no one argues the double standards that have been set. No I am not a racist, I beleive we should all be judged by the same standards and race should not give you a job or deny you a job. WHitlock is not a good enough or been around long enough for his merits alone to get a spot on ESPN with those other guys. You can't argue that statement. Good job last night. Sounds like you dominated the game.

mcan
08-13-2001, 06:36 AM
Sorry Bob,
Whitlock is a decent reporter here. He's not the best, and there may be several others out there that could do the job better. But, the face that he gets people talking about whatever he's talking about is why he gets all the extra jobs. Ie: TV, Radio, Column, Interviews, etc... It's not that he's the most qualified, he's the most marketable, and marketing is a much more powerful tool than race. Hence the Dennis Miller comment from before. BTW-there are probably several other black reporters who are better at writing, speaking, and probably have a look less suitable for radio;) , but Whitlock still got the job. Doesn't sound like a race issue to me.

mcan
08-13-2001, 06:43 AM
I agree however, that there is a double standard about racism. White guys are called racist for sometimes no reason at all, while several people in the minority say things that would get a white guy in a lot of trouble. They call it "reverse racism" but see, even that term is racist, it's not reverse racism, it's flat out racism.

To quote American History X: "Hate is baggage"

VAChief
08-13-2001, 09:00 AM
No one would be on your pathetic case Bob if you had simply stated Whitlock shouldn't be on the Sports Reporters. You can make a case that several of those guys are hacks. Conlin is a gutless weasel who although works for a major Philadelphia paper is despised by many in the profession and his own self-loathing spills over into his often mean-spirited attacks on others. He is the guy who applauded the battery attack on J.D. Drew and later berated your beloved Bernie M. as a small time beat writer (or something to that effect)...you chose to bring up Whitlock's race as a factor...and later threw in a comment about women...Is there prejudice against whites?....Sure, but your ignorant comments only serve to fuel the fire. Rent the "Color of Fear" sometime Bob, you might find it enlightening. We are all prejudiced. Wise men acknowledge it and learn from their own biases.