PDA

View Full Version : Cade McNown: Worth Pursuing?

AJKCFAN
08-12-2001, 10:21 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0812/1238465.html

http://chicagosports.com/bears/content/column/0,2007,159473,00.html

He's been horrible so far, but perhaps it's because he's in a horrible situation. Chiefs QB depth following Green is very suspect and this is a chance for the Chiefs to get a young QB who had an excellent college career with a passing-oriented offense.

He's also a UCLA kid, perfect in the eyes of Peterson and Vermeil.

This might be a situation that all fans who hope the Chiefs develop a young QB, get their wish.

Question is, should the Chiefs look to acquire McNown to be a #2, # 3 QB for this year? From the articles, it's saying the Bears only want a conditional draft pick in return... they want to rid themselves of McNown so badly.

Thoughts please...

htismaqe
08-12-2001, 10:23 AM
I just heard this on ESPN. They're looking for a 1st round pick next year, because he's going to cost them almost $20 million against the cap.

If we didn't have Green locked up for so long, yeah maybe...but I'd rather groom someone that doesn't cost quite so much...

AJKCFAN
08-12-2001, 10:24 AM
My opinion is for a conditional draft pick, it's definitely worth bringing McNown in to be the # 3 QB this year, have him learn the Chiefs offense and gain confidence and take over the # 2 QB spot in 2002, ready at the wheel should Green break down.

So, in short, yes, I want the Chiefs to look into acquiring Cade McNown.

AJKCFAN
08-12-2001, 10:25 AM
From what I've heard, the Bears will look to absorb much of the cap costs to get rid of him.

However, if the cap figure is that ridiculous, forget it.

stevieray
08-12-2001, 10:26 AM
Notice the comment from DV on collins..The one about collins being an introvert, and not being able to change that?

In todays game, Introverts don't lead the team 90 yards with two mintues to go..

AJKCFAN
Frazod, you're in Chicago.

You must have a good handle on this....

Mi_chief_fan
It would depend on whether or not DV, Stiles or Carl all think he's worth the risk. My opinion doesn't carry alot of weight. ;)

The only thing I question is his arm strength. I know, his strengths are supposed to be his "intangibles", like mobility, accuracy and intelligence, but he hasn't shown much of any of those.

Mi_chief_fan
08-12-2001, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't be interested for a 1st rounder. Nothing higher than a 4th.

stevieray
08-12-2001, 10:29 AM
Isn't he a lefty?

AJKCFAN
08-12-2001, 10:30 AM
Cade McNown will be just 25 on January 12. That's a lot of time to seriously groom this kid.

One Chief who should have his pulse taken regarding this is Casey Weigmann. Realizing that McNown soured his image in the Bears lockerroom very much like Leaf did in San Diego, Weigmann can offer a first hand perspective as to just how much of a problem McNown truly is.

Fat Elvis
No!

AJKCFAN
Yep... he's a lefty.

I'm a lefty too... :) (totally irrelevant but since I was "called out")

NaptownChief
08-12-2001, 10:31 AM
I would defintely like to get him but not for a 1st or 2nd rounder...Anything other than that I would give it a try...He was stuck in a horrible postition on a very bad team in Chicago...If he were in Minnesota and Culpepper were drafted by Chicago, McNown probably would have been in the Pro Bowl last year while everyone would be wondering if Culpepper could do anything but run...It is all but impossible for a 1st or 2nd year QB to do anything when they have a horrible team around them.

NaptownChief
08-12-2001, 10:38 AM
Bears | McNown Really On the Trading Block? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
1:32 PT: John Mullin reports for the Chicago Tribune the Chicago Bears are reportedly investigating trades for QB Cade McNown and apparently have decided to cut their losses with him. GM Jerry Angelo declined to comment on any trade discussions other than to say the team would look at any and all ways of improving the roster. The Bears have spoken to teams about a deal for McNown, according to league sources. On Saturday, he finished 4-for-8 with 32 yards. Trading or releasing McNown would mean a $3.1 million hit against the salary cap for the Bears.

soliday
08-12-2001, 10:51 AM
I've lived in Chicgo about a year. I think it would be a big mistake to trade for McNown, even though I'm sure he would benfit from a change of scenery. Even at his best he's not a good fit for the the Chiefs system--he is NOT an accurate passer, does not make smart or quick decisions ( Last year McNown was sacked 27 times on 280 pass attempts, while the other Bears QBs were sacked 7 times on 261 attempts.), he is mobile and can throw the long ball. And he's a bad influence in the locker room and a BIG TIME distraction.

To me, he's a young Elvis Grbac......if he ever improves.....

I'd rather see Ryan Helming get a roster spot than see the Chiefs trade for McNown.

Soliday

Mi_chief_fan
08-12-2001, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by jl80
I would defintely like to get him but not for a 1st or 2nd rounder...Anything other than that I would give it a try...He was stuck in a horrible postition on a very bad team in Chicago...If he were in Minnesota and Culpepper were drafted by Chicago, McNown probably would have been in the Pro Bowl last year while everyone would be wondering if Culpepper could do anything but run...It is all but impossible for a 1st or 2nd year QB to do anything when they have a horrible team around them.

Have to disagree with you there, buddy. Shane Matthews & Jim Miller have both posted decent numbers with the mediocre talent that the Bears have. Neither have the overall talent as McNown.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be worth a shot, but I would need a little more convincing. Saying he would be a pro-bowler in Minnesota's offense isn't saying alot; put Matthews & Miller there, and i'll wager they put up pro-bowl numbers as well.

htismaqe
08-12-2001, 11:50 AM
Like I said before, by the time we finish with Green, McNown will be 32 or 33 years old most likely. Not a project. Forget about it.

Frazod
08-12-2001, 01:36 PM
In the immortal words of Graham Chapman's King Arthur, "RUN AWAYYYYYYYYY!"

This guy SUCKS. Poor skills, bad attitude. Seems more concerned with dating playmates than making plays. McNown is a cross between Rick Mirer and Austin Powers. As much as I detest the backups we've got, I'd keep 'em both over this clown.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Alphaman
08-12-2001, 02:11 PM
I'm on the side that says get him. I think his upside is much higher than Collins' (of course I may change my mind after tonight's game). I like fiery guys. He needs to be shaped and molded and that seems to be Vermeil and Saunder's strength.

I say make the deal.

Frazod
08-12-2001, 02:19 PM
The ironic thing about this is McNothing is the only Chicago QB that I don't like. Matthews, Miller or even Wuerffel would be a decent back-up for us. BUT NOT CADE.

I especially like Miller - unfortunately, he's as durable as fine crystal. But on the rare occasions when he's healthy, he's a stud.

alanm
08-12-2001, 02:24 PM
You know Tim with such a ringing endorsement It would only be prudent to sign him now. If for nothing else than to p!ss you off!! :D

DaWolf
08-12-2001, 03:20 PM
I was thinking about this a few months ago when talk of the Bears releasing him was surfacing. At first, I thought why don't we go after this guy? Then everything I read indicated that the main reason why he was sucking in Chicago was that he is not accurate and can't place the ball in correct spots. I don't have film on this guy so I don't know if he can be molded or not, but since accuracy would be the main thing that this offense looks for in a QB, he would not be the ideal candidate to pick up, especially if we have to pay a price for it...

NaptownChief
08-12-2001, 05:00 PM
MI,

I agree with you on Miller and Mathews putting up solid numbers with poor talent around them but that is a couple guys with seven and eight years NFL experience respectively versus a guy that was thrown to the wolves in his first year...It is tough enough to learn a complex passing offense like Crowton put in but to have to learn to read NFL defenses at the same time all the while not having much talent around you is a tough task regardless of your physical skills...

Miller and Mathews already had years of experience learning to read NFL defenses so that naturally affords them much more time and composure in the pocket...Virtually every rookie QB that I have every seen would have been disastrous in that Bears offense with the exception of Manning.

Skip Towne
08-12-2001, 05:30 PM
I really don't know much about Cade but he must really be a problem for the Bears to want to dump him.I would sure investigate as to why. I heard recently that Josh Heupel doesn't have a very good chance of sticking with the Dolphins. I like the kid because he wins. He also puts the ball where only his receiver can get it. He is a tough kid who can scramble. Should be cheap. Can one of you stat guys check his TD to int. ratio? I think he is worth checking out.

NaptownChief
08-12-2001, 05:32 PM
Skip,

Granted it was his first NFL game experience every but Heupel looked terrible in that game against the Rams on Monday night...

I do know that he is a little better athlete than most people think...He recorded a 37 inch verticle leap at the combines here in Indy...