PDA

View Full Version : Airline Flights Canceled By the 1,000's

petegz28
04-10-2008, 12:15 PM
So now all the sudden these airlines are canceling fligths to inspect their aircraft.

Is the Fed Gov going too far or have the airlines been flying unsafe planes?

CoMoChief
04-10-2008, 12:42 PM
So now all the sudden these airlines are canceling fligths to inspect their aircraft.

You would think so if the situation might have an effect on you, but in the larger scheme of things these airline companies have been doing this for years and there isn't a more vulnerable place then when you're up in the sky and something mechanically ****s up. I don't mind them doing this.

StcChief
04-10-2008, 12:42 PM
don't fly?

petegz28
04-10-2008, 12:46 PM
don't fly?

Yeah, tell that to the people who bought their tickets already and having the airline tell you...."well we haven't been inspecting oru planes so we will now en masse".

it isn't like 1 flight got canceled.

ChiTown
04-10-2008, 12:48 PM

I think it's safe to say that the airlines have taken a lot of liberty with flying marginal planes for a while. It's about time they called these MF'ers to the carpet. I'm on a plane at least 2x per week, so this is good for me.

Adept Havelock
04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
don't fly?

You tell your boss that, and see how it works out.

irishjayhawk
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh, I thought this was related to the heavy snow storms in the north and severe weather in the south and storms in the midwest.

StcChief
04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
You tell your boss that, and see how it works out. cost of doing business just went up. Teleconf works too.

think outside the box, entirely too much business travel is un-necessary.

petegz28
04-10-2008, 01:14 PM
cost of doing business just went up. Teleconf works too.

I agree. People travel way too much for nothing. This is the old people's mentality though.

I work with a lot of them who still want you at your desk by 8, 1 exact hour for lunch and you don't leave until 5.

Nevermind the new technologies that make it cheaper for you to do more faster!

StcChief
04-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I agree. People travel way too much for nothing. This is the old people's mentality though.

I work with a lot of them who still want you at your desk by 8, 1 exact hour for lunch and you don't leave until 5.

Nevermind the new technologies that make it cheaper for you to do more faster!sales types, schmuzing/wining dining customer. Budget to spend.....I won't get it if I don't use it, my value in company is measured by this. Results should be measured differently.

America could be much more efficient and the airllines would adapt, less planes, less delays, less jet fuel used etc.

Adept Havelock
04-10-2008, 01:57 PM
cost of doing business just went up. Teleconf works too.

Again, you tell your boss that (when he insists otherwise) and let me know how that works out for you. :shrug:

Doesn't really affect me either way, I seldom have to travel for anything but personal reasons.

StcChief
04-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Again, you tell your boss that (when he insists otherwise) and let me know how that works out for you. :shrug:

Doesn't really affect me either way, I seldom have to travel for anything but personal reasons.Not gonna worry about it, haven't been on a plane since 2002. Don't plan on it either.

I really don't have sympathy for travelers that get "inconvenienced" they know what they are getting into when they go to the airport.

oh. I wouldn't work for someone that put me in that position.

jiveturkey
04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Not gonna worry about it, haven't been on a plane since 2002. Don't plan on it either.

I really don't have sympathy for travelers that get "inconvenienced" they know what they are getting into when they go to the airport.

oh. I wouldn't work for someone that put me in that position.When you travel a lot and you're never inconvenienced suddenly becoming inconvenienced is a big deal.

Nobody goes to the airport expecting to be inconvenienced. I travel a lot and I'm rarely inconvenienced. I just avoid the giant shit carriers. If Southwest and Midwest don't go there I'm probably not either.

Donger
04-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Fly Airbus.

Guru
04-11-2008, 03:39 PM
When you travel a lot and you're never inconvenienced suddenly becoming inconvenienced is a big deal.

Nobody goes to the airport expecting to be inconvenienced. I travel a lot and I'm rarely inconvenienced. I just avoid the giant shit carriers. If Southwest and Midwest don't go there I'm probably not either.

Or, when you rarely ever fly and get inconvenienced for a family vacation. THAT would PISS ME OFF!!!

Frazod
04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Or, when you rarely ever fly and get inconvenienced for a family vacation. THAT would PISS ME OFF!!!

Well, think about this. You haven't had a vacation in a couple of years. You've scrimped and saved, booked reservations on a cruise, got the time off from work, and after spending three days camped out at the airport and missing your boat, you get to go home and putter around the house for the last couple of days before heading back to the office Monday morning. And maybe you get your money back for all the crap you paid for and didn't get to do, and maybe you don't.

This is why I like to drive on vacation - not because I enjoy being in the car all damn day, but because I never want the above scenario to happen to me.

Unfortunately, sometimes you simply have no choice but to fly.

mlyonsd
04-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I just flew back from a conference in Vegas. With all the airline stuff in the news plus a blizzard warning back home I'm just glad to say we made it.

Pitt Gorilla
04-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Fly Airbus.Yup. Just got back from Utah on Frontier. The Airbus is a nice ride.

Frazod
04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Yup. Just got back from Utah on Frontier. The Airbus is a nice ride.

I believe I heard on the radio this morning that Frontier just filed for bankruptcy but is trying to stay operational.

stlchiefs
04-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Yup. Just got back from Utah on Frontier. The Airbus is a nice ride.

Way to go. I heard it was a flight out of Utah that actually drained the last dollar out of the account and forced Frontier to file. I hope you feel good about yourself. :clap:

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-11-2008, 10:55 PM
I believe I heard on the radio this morning that Frontier just filed for bankruptcy but is trying to stay operational.

Goddammit. That is a nice airline.

Donger
04-12-2008, 01:01 PM

They will. I got a nice email from Sean yesterday.

Stewie
04-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Airbus? Yeah, they've never had any problems. :rolleyes:

I work in the aerospace industry and we manufacture for both Airbus and Boeing.

"Nice rides" are the choice of the carriers. Midwest is going away from their plane configurations (seats) to compete. They're losing money because they cannot carry enough passengers even if their planes are full.

These recent problems are a direct result of an inept FAA. Manufacturers are always releasing directives that need to be addressed if a problem arises. It could be as minor as light bulb or as serious as cracks in the fuselage.

The recent Southwest problem was because the FAA was given a directive for inspection. They didn't push the issue and it really wasn't a big issue. Once it hit the press the FAA was all over it (barn door closed). They blamed SW, SW said our planes are safe, but what do you do but cower to a bunch of governmental bureaucrats who can shut you down?

I'm of the opinion that these airlines are trying to prove a point that the FAA needs to get their shit together. There is far more communication between manufacturers and OEMs and airlines than EVER from the FAA.

Donger
04-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Airbus? Yeah, they've never had any problems. :rolleyes:

I work in the aerospace industry and we manufacture for both Airbus and Boeing.

"Nice rides" are the choice of the carriers. Midwest is going away from their plane configurations (seats) to compete. They're losing money because they cannot carry enough passengers even if their planes are full.

These recent problems are a direct result of an inept FAA. Manufacturers are always releasing directives that need to be addressed if a problem arises. It could be as minor as light bulb or as serious as cracks in the fuselage.

The recent Southwest problem was because the FAA was given a directive for inspection. They didn't push the issue and it really wasn't a big issue. Once it hit the press the FAA was all over it (barn door closed). They blamed SW, SW said our planes are safe, but what do you do but cower to a bunch of governmental bureaucrats who can shut you down?

I'm of the opinion that these airlines are trying to prove a point that the FAA needs to get their shit together. There is far more communication between manufacturers and OEMs and airlines than EVER from the FAA.

Besides buggy software, what problems have Airbus aircraft had?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5NXpar4Ouw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5NXpar4Ouw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Brock
04-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Besides buggy software, what problems have Airbus aircraft had?

ROFL You mean aside from vertical stabilizers falling off and front landing gear not deploying? Oh, nothing.

Donger
04-12-2008, 07:34 PM
ROFL You mean aside from vertical stabilizers falling off and front landing gear not deploying? Oh, nothing.

I was being sarcastic. Did you watch the video in my post? Every manufacturer has had problems.

Heck, there's video of an early Airbus doing a barrel roll out there somewhere. And, no, it wasn't intentional.

Brock
04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I was being sarcastic. Did you watch the video in my post? Every manufacturer has had problems.

Heck, there's video of an early Airbus doing a barrel roll out there somewhere. And, no, it wasn't intentional.

I see. Didn't watch the vid.