PDA

View Full Version : Why This Season is Special

Luzap
08-12-2001, 12:59 PM
Throughout the Marty era, I thoroughly enjoyed being a fan of the Chiefs. There were frustrations and heartbreakers (especially during the playoffs), but for the most part, it was a thrill going into each game knowing the players were playing their hearts out and knowing we had a chance to win.

Last year, my enthusiasm was severely tested. It became obvious to me that our biggest problem wasn’t the other team, it was ourselves.

I like Gun, and I always will (he’s the former HC of MY team), but in many ways he shook my confidence in the Chiefs as a winning organization. It is far more important for me to be able to feel a part of something special, win or lose, than it is for me to have an empty Division Title.

I feel the magic is back.
Green will throw interceptions this year and make some bone-headed mistakes. Some rookies will surprise us, and some veterans will disappoint us. The coaches will not always make the right decisions, and the defense will give up some big plays. We as fans will argue the calls and second guess everything and everyone…

But we won’t be walking away from our games, shaking our heads, knowing that to win next week, we’ll have to do it in spite of ourselves.

Last year, we played below ourselves. This year, we have a real opportunity to play above ourselves.

Regardless of our talent level, I can go into any game knowing that we can play above ourselves and that we can win. The unreserved excitement is back for me.

I am anxious to take every step with the Chiefs, building toward a championship caliber team. The first step starts tonight.

Luz
feeling good about being a fan again…

Cannibal
08-12-2001, 01:31 PM
While I do not share your unbridled optimism, I must say I enjoyed your post.

TheFly
08-12-2001, 01:41 PM
I am optimistic about the season too. I expect it to be more "livable" and that the Chiefs will again start playing like they own Arrowhead.

The big question mark is Trent Green. If he can stay healthy, then the team will rally around him. If not, then we could have a lot of rough sledding.

alanm
08-12-2001, 01:44 PM
Luz, I too am excited about the upcoming season. There's a couple of new sherriffs in town and anything is possible. I've been hearing nothing but positive stuff out of training camp. The players are excited about the year and their expectations of sucess are high despite what the national idiots are predicting. I don't know why but I also think this team will be better than expected this year! You always knew the talent was there it was the coaching that was lacking Dick Vermeil would not have been my choice for head coach. I would have preferred the Tuna myself or any coach who has won where ever he has been. But DV may just turn out to be exactly what we needed at this moment in time. I can't wait for the season to begin. :D

Archie F. Swin
08-12-2001, 02:10 PM
Tha fact that Luz has returned to share the season with us makes me happy

:D <-- see

htismaqe
08-12-2001, 03:05 PM
Luz,

I can see where you're coming from, but since about 1993, I haven't felt good about the team. Even when we went 13-3 (twice) I didn't feel we'd be good enough to win the big games, and sure enough we weren't.

I'm so jaded on Marty/Gun now that ANY change is exciting, including hiring DV. I just hope come playoff time (when we get there finally) that we don't go into our shell and get beat by inferior teams 10-7...

Luzap
08-12-2001, 04:05 PM
htismaqe, et al,

I don't criticize anyone for their disgust or disappointments on days forgotten.

There's something special about a team going in the right direction. Regardless of the ups and downs that this year will bring, we are going in that right direction.

For myself, I'm going to enjoy the ride ~ along with every bump on it.

Luz
feeling the beginning of something special...

NaptownChief
08-12-2001, 04:12 PM
Luz,

I fully share your sentiment about this season...I really believe the record will be a good one but regardless I have rekindled my Chiefs spirit that had been thoroughly stomped out last year. I went into every game last year thinking what will be the really big bone head decision or decisions that will eliminate any chance of winning the game...By the middle of last season I had never been so disgusted in my entire life, by no coincidence I had never seen a NFL coaching staff so overmatched as the one we had...

The Naptown Chief is proud to be a Chiefs fan again....

milkman
08-12-2001, 04:31 PM
I agree with Parker, exept that i never had any faith in Marty.

And even though Gun was terribly overmatched, the one thing he did right was that he was beginning toreshape this roster with young players, and he did seem to have an eye for talent.

That, IMO, gives Vermeil and staff a leg up on the retooling, puts us ahead of the game.

Vermeil's statements about the talent on this roster seems to support.

So, while I am glad that Gun s gone, I am also grateful that he began the retooling process.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-12-2001, 04:33 PM
I share the same excitement, Luz. But I want these next few hours to go by slow, if you know what I mean.

CG

the sooner it gets here, the sooner it is gone (the season):(

so time...go by slow:)

Luzap
08-12-2001, 11:42 PM
After tonight's game, I know the magic is back!

There will still be disappointments this season, but...

MY Chiefs are BACK!

Luz
feel the magic!!!...

Luzap
08-13-2001, 10:32 AM
Recovery