PDA

View Full Version : Has Gaithright earned a spot in the starting lineup?

Bowser
04-11-2008, 01:44 PM
The guy is doing it all right now - getting hits, stealing bases, making plays in the outfield, whatever is asked. I think he has come a long ways since he's gotten here. The question is, could he outperform DeJesus over the long haul, or is he just an above average fourth outfielder?

Demonpenz
04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
maybe. the key is for him to get on base. If that goes he really doesn't have the ability to go yard. Pretty nice problem to have If gathright can fill in somewhere else there are 162 games to spread around for 4 outfielders

keg in kc
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
If it's a matter of DeJesus leading off or Gathright leading off, I think I'd rather see Gathright, although I don't think he's more than a 4th OF on a good roster.

Demonpenz
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
also what a weapon off the bench gathright is. His worth maybe greater over there. When anyone other than teahen gets into scoring position late in the game and you need to score. Or put him at third. Can you imagine him coming in on fresh legs on 3rd and less than 2 out. anything on the ground or in the air is going to be a bang bang play at the plate. yes he can swipe a bag too.

noa
04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
He'll definitely start if they decide to put cars out on the field

doomy3
04-11-2008, 02:12 PM
He is hitting .190. I wouldn't exactly call that "getting hits" and "doing it all"

Sure-Oz
04-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Kobe has started to jump cars too even though its fake

stlchiefs
04-11-2008, 02:24 PM
IF he can get on is the problem. His avg isn't that great, but when he's on base he's a stud. Like Demon said, if he's not in the game they need to consider pinch running him.

Bowser
04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
He is hitting .190. I wouldn't exactly call that "getting hits" and "doing it all"

Given. More at bats can only help him, imo.

It's hard to keep speed like his on the bench, no matter how good of a slap hitter DeJesus is.

Demonpenz
04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I am sure it is more than a consideration. Some guys have more value coming of the benhc. We have piss poor speed outside teabag.

Demonpenz
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Dejesus actually has the ability to yank one out of the ball park. Gathright gives no threat of that

Demonpenz
04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I think dejesus has like 25 or 30 Career homeruns he can yank em but it has to be down and in and it has to be down the right field line with no wind hehe

Bowser
04-11-2008, 02:34 PM
David "Crush" DeJesus

Sure-Oz
04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I think dejesus has like 25 or 30 Career homeruns he can yank em but it has to be down and in and it has to be down the right field line with no wind hehe

he'd have 40 hr in yankee stadium

Mr. Laz
04-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Dejesus actually has the ability to yank one out of the ball park. Gathright gives no threat of that
dejesus has lost speed and is inconsistent at the plate

Gaithright can't seem to keep his average up above .250

markk
04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
david dejesus hit in the .290s before last year. Even his off year of .260 is better than you probably will get from gathright as an everyday player. I like both of them but it doesn't matter how much speed you have, if you hit .200 you cant play every day.

its early in the year and he hit a lot better last year. but in the next week or two when dejesus comes back if gathright is still down in the mendoza area i would go back to dejesus

Bowser
04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Can DeJesus play shortstop?

Mr. Laz
04-11-2008, 04:03 PM
david dejesus hit in the .290s before last year. Even his off year of .260 is better than you probably will get from gathright as an everyday player. I like both of them but it doesn't matter how much speed you have, if you hit .200 you cant play every day.

its early in the year and he hit a lot better last year. but in the next week or two when dejesus comes back if gathright is still down in the mendoza area i would go back to dejesus

agreed .... if Gathright can't hit .250 then i don't see how you can keep him in the lineup.

that goes for all players......

if they can't hit .250 then they probably shouldn't be in the majors.

Bowser
04-11-2008, 04:14 PM
agreed .... if Gathright can't hit .250 then i don't see how you can keep him in the lineup.

that goes for all players......

if they can't hit .250 then they probably shouldn't be in the majors.

Do you want KC to have a baseball team, or no?

markk
04-11-2008, 04:19 PM
the royals might want to consider this guy for shortstop: In 2005 in AAA he hit .315
In 2006 in AAA he hit .337. In 2007 in AAA he hit .341.

in his 200 major league abs, he's only hit 220 but he's never been an everyday palyer. i think you can say that there is warrant if pena struggles with the bat again to try alberto callaspo there at short.

Mr. Laz
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Do you want KC to have a baseball team, or no?

ROFL

but this time we actually have an option

if Gathwright can bat .250 then he starts in center and leads off ..... if not, then he's a backup.

trade Dejesus if you can or maybe move Dejesus to left and trade Gload .... put Teahen at 1st.

i don't know why Butler isn't playing a 1st either

i wonder if we could trade Dejesus for a decent shortstop?

Bowser
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
i wonder if we could trade Dejesus for a decent shortstop?

Somehow I doubt it. Hopefully this Moustakis (sp?) kid will make a quick trip through the minors, and be here in a couple of years.

alnorth
04-11-2008, 04:36 PM
The season simply isn't old enough for anyone to have played themselves into or out of the lineup. We wont really start to have useful data till maybe the end of May.

alnorth
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Somehow I doubt it. Hopefully this Moustakis (sp?) kid will make a quick trip through the minors, and be here in a couple of years.

He will likely play a different position when he makes it through the minors. Maybe 2B, but he apparently hasnt been able to handle the 6 very well so far..

DeezNutz
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
The season simply isn't old enough for anyone to have played themselves into or out of the lineup. We wont really start to have useful data till maybe the end of May.

Tell that to Hillman. Here's the lineup for tonight according to the Star (http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/84):

April 11 vs Twins lineup: Callaspo starting at SS
The wishes of some have been granted, at least for a day.

Here's the rest of the lineups, with Livan Hernandez pitching against Gil Meche.

Twins
1. Carlos Gomez CF
2. Matt Tolbert SS
3. Joe Mauer C
4. Justin Morneau 1B
5. Delmon Young LF
6. Jason Kubel DH
7. Brendan Harris 2B
8. Mike Lamb 3B
9. Denard Span RF

Royals
1. Joey Gathright CF
2. Mark Grudzielanek 2B
3. Mark Teahen LF
4. Jose Guillen RF
5. Billy Butler DH
6. Alex Gordon 3B
7. Ross Gload 1B
8. John Buck C
9. Alberto Callaspo

DeezNutz
04-11-2008, 05:24 PM
This change needed to be made, if nothing else than to give Pena a mental break. A team cannot afford to have a completely wasted spot in the line-up, and, frankly, Pena's defense isn't good enough to compensate. He's an average major league ss. Nothing more. We might regard him as better because we've recently suffered with Berroa.

alnorth
04-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Tell that to Hillman. Here's the lineup for tonight according to the Star (http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/84):

April 11 vs Twins lineup: Callaspo starting at SS
The wishes of some have been granted, at least for a day.

Here's the rest of the lineups, with Livan Hernandez pitching against Gil Meche.

Twins
1. Carlos Gomez CF
2. Matt Tolbert SS
3. Joe Mauer C
4. Justin Morneau 1B
5. Delmon Young LF
6. Jason Kubel DH
7. Brendan Harris 2B
8. Mike Lamb 3B
9. Denard Span RF

Royals
1. Joey Gathright CF
2. Mark Grudzielanek 2B
3. Mark Teahen LF
4. Jose Guillen RF
5. Billy Butler DH
6. Alex Gordon 3B
7. Ross Gload 1B
8. John Buck C
9. Alberto Callaspo

I'm not talking about tweaks or temporary substitutions. Guys need a day off, or a certain pitcher may just pwn a certain batter or whatever.

I'm talking long-term going from bench player out of spring to definite 130+ game per season starter in a position or vice-versa. A couple weeks is about the same as middle 4th quarter of the first game in a football season. You may come in and out for a down, but a guy doesnt win or lose his job before the end of the first game in the NFL.

DeezNutz
04-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm not talking about tweaks or temporary substitutions. Guys need a day off, or a certain pitcher may just pwn a certain batter or whatever.

I'm talking long-term going from bench player out of spring to definite 130+ game per season starter in a position or vice-versa. A couple weeks is about the same as middle 4th quarter of the first game in a football season. You may come in and out for a down, but a guy doesnt win or lose his job before the end of the first game in the NFL.

I know what you mean, but the article suggests that this wasn't an average day off. Starters don't typically rest on Friday night. This tweak suggests that bigger changes are certainly being thought about, and rightfully so.

RedDread
04-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I still gotta give the nod to the jesus. He's not a speedster but definitely better as a contact hitter. It's great that you can steal bases but if you only get there 1 out of 5 times you head to the plate you're not worth it.

On another note, Callaspo will be our starting SS by the end of the year. Hillman has no allegiance to Pena, and for the type of hitter that he is he swings way too hard, chases bad pitches, and his OBP is terrible. Right now he's not worth a lineup spot. Callaspo went 1-4 tonight but 2 of his outs were well-hit balls right at outfielders, unfortunately.