PDA

View Full Version : What cognitive dissonance is our culture experiencing today?

jAZ
04-11-2008, 09:24 PM
(Disclaimer: I don't want this thread to be a bash Christians thread or a bash slavery thread or a bash the reparations crowd thread. Please focus on my question.)

I'm watching a documentary on MSNBC about the meeting of two men named David Wilson. One the descendant of a slave. The other the descendant of that salves owner.

The show's just OK so far.

But one question he asked got me thinking. He asked how Christians could justify slavery in their hearts and minds at that time.

The answer to me was pretty obvious, cognitive dissonance.

In simple terms, (cognitive dissonance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance)) can be the filtering of information that conflicts with what you already believe, in an effort to ignore that information and reinforce your beliefs. [...]

In popular usage, it can be associated with the tendency for people to resist information that they don't want to think about, because if they did it would create cognitive dissonance, and perhaps require them to act in ways that depart from their comfortable habits. They usually have at least partial awareness of the information, without having moved to full acceptance of it, and are thus in a state of denial about it.

My question on this thread is this...

History is filled with lots of acts of tragic cognitive dissonance like slavery, the holocaust, etc.

What do you think are the acts of cognitive dissonance (tragic or than tragic) that our world is facing today?

MIAdragon
04-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Iraq?

KcMizzou
04-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I think most everyone thinks it's ok to bash slavery.

Wilson
04-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Random Picture Time!!!!!

http://www.kucau.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/fart-power.jpg

KcMizzou
04-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Rocket Bike!!!!

cdcox
04-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Smoking bans.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Smoking bans.

You beat me to it. I don't know if you're serious, but you're spot on. Seems you're not for them, but I can't remember for sure.

stlchiefs
04-11-2008, 11:59 PM
the use of eminent domain for a non-public purpose (private development)

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't even know what most of these words mean, much less how to pronounciate them. I really wish I knew how to post a picture of a bunny with a pancake on his head.

cdcox
04-12-2008, 12:05 AM
You beat me to it. I don't know if you're serious, but you're spot on. Seems you're not for them, but I can't remember for sure.

Mostly trying to be funny, but good humor always contains an element of truth. I'm not a smoker, but think smokers should be able to light up in a bar without coming under the law. Restuarants should be up to the owner.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Mostly trying to be funny, but good humor always contains an element of truth. I'm not a smoker, but think smokers should be able to light up in a bar without coming under the law. Restuarants should be up to the owner.

Hey, don't we have enough smoking in restaurants threads, buddy? I mean, I'm no mathematician but I think two is one too many.

stlchiefs
04-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Hey, don't we have enough smoking in restaurants threads, buddy? I mean, I'm no mathematician but I think two is one too many.

There you go with that tendency to resist information that you don't want to think about. You know if you did it would create cognitive dissonance, and perhaps require you to act in ways that depart from your comfortable habits. You obviously have an awareness of the information, haven't moved to full acceptance of it, and are thus in a state of denial about it. :D

SNR
04-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Being jealous of the Jayhawks. Yeah, sure, everybody's reeeeeaaaal concerned about the variety of topics we have on the board, I understand :evil:

cdcox
04-12-2008, 12:16 AM

You're looking pretty hypocritical with your bunny-pancake post. A bunny is nothing but a large rat with floppy ears and rats are used for cigarette testing. And pancakes come form those diners where everyone is smoking. You're not fooling anyone with your anti- anti-smoking ban posts.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I just realized I'm a poser. Thanks for that, Seedy. I'm going to drink some bottled water and go to bed.

Mr. Kotter
04-12-2008, 12:30 AM
FWIW, cognitive dissonance is NOT necessarily a "bad" thing. It is, actually, often the impetus for real progress...

realizing, for example, that pacifism and isolationism....is not a sufficient answer to imperialism, terrorism, and tyranny.

recognizing, for example, that tax cuts....in the appropriate economic circumstances, can boost the national economy--and that corporate America and business are NOT the enemy. Reining in "excesses" does not necessitate an end to free market capitalism.

admitting, for example, that entitlement spending and federal government handouts....are often counterproductive, and reinforce institutionalized and cultural mindsets of "victim-hood"--that we should not be asking what our country can do for us, but what we can do for our country.

and, understanding that true compassion isn't measured by the dollars the national government spends....but the end results of its policy decisions, not in the short-term....but over the long-term. Political policy decisions should not always turn on what is popular, but what is right.

TR and Ronald Reagan understood the concept; but so did FDR, Truman and JFK....too bad so many folks today seem oblivious to the fact.

:)

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:31 AM
I had no idea the Night Crew Professors would hang out in this thread. I actually feel cool in here.

BIG K
04-12-2008, 12:54 AM
I had no idea the Night Crew Professors would hang out in this thread. I actually feel cool in here.

There is a fountain of knowledge shared in these hallow walls...

How's it going Phob?

SNR
04-12-2008, 01:03 AM
FWIW, cognitive dissonance is NOT necessarily a "bad" thing. It is, actually, often the impetus for real progress...

realizing, for example, that pacifism and isolationism....is not a sufficient answer to imperialism, terrorism, and tyranny.

recognizing, for example, that tax cuts....in the appropriate economic circumstances, can boost the national economy--and that corporate America and business are NOT the enemy. Reining in "excesses" does not necessitate an end to free market capitalism.

admitting, for example, that entitlement spending and federal government handouts....are often counterproductive, and reinforce institutionalized and cultural mindsets of "victim-hood"--that we should not be asking what our country can do for us, but what we can do for our country.

and, understanding that true compassion isn't measured by the dollars the national government spends....but the end results of its policy decisions, not in the short-term....but over the long-term. Political policy decisions should not always turn on what is popular, but what is right.

TR and Ronald Reagan understood the concept; but so did FDR, Truman and JFK....too bad so many folks today seem oblivious to the fact.

:)Extremism if the defense of liberty is no vice.

Yes, those are my words. I didn't steal them from anyone.

(Probably)

Boon
04-12-2008, 01:11 AM
I got nuthin.

SithCeNtZ
04-12-2008, 02:42 AM

Actually, smoking itself is dissonance defined. There are ZERO reasons to smoke, ever. Everyone knows about all of the bad things that smoking causes and know very well that smoking is bad and yet they do it anyway. That, in and of itself, is dissonance.

edit: and right now I'd say the biggest is unhealthy/fast food. We all know its unhealthy, and yet we buy it anyway. Sure, we know it isn't good for us, but we are all in a hurry, have places to go etc...we make up reasons why it isn't so bad. We can work it off in the gym, we can stop eating it when we want to...and yet most people in the country never do.

Boon
04-12-2008, 02:50 AM
Nobody gets out alive..................

Logical
04-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Cognitive Disonance

Your daughter going out with the local punk rocker and you tell them to have a good time.

Your daughter marrying a no account, no job bum and you pay for the wedding.

Do I need to go on?

Micjones
04-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Racism, classism, sexism, nationalism, God, Hip Hop...

Bob Dole
04-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Actually, smoking itself is dissonance defined. There are ZERO reasons to smoke, ever. Everyone knows about all of the bad things that smoking causes and know very well that smoking is bad and yet they do it anyway. That, in and of itself, is dissonance.

That ignores the positive effects that nicotine has on the smoker.

If you are stressed, the cigarette relaxes. If you are tired, it serves as a stimulant. If you are hungry, it curbs your hunger. If you are anxious, it calms you. It may enhance you alertness. It may reduce physical pain.

Saggysack
04-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Intellectualism.

Baby Lee
04-12-2008, 06:41 AM

Doon't call me buddy, guy!!

HC_Chief
04-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Doon't call me buddy, guy!!

I'm not your guy, friend!

Phobia
04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
That ignores the positive effects that nicotine has on the smoker.

If you are stressed, the cigarette relaxes. If you are tired, it serves as a stimulant. If you are hungry, it curbs your hunger. If you are anxious, it calms you. It may enhance you alertness. It may reduce physical pain.

It increases one's ability to rationalize as well. I mean, based on studies and such as.

Sully
04-12-2008, 10:49 AM
People who hate big business.... but smoke.

People who bitch about the corporatization of sports, but then buy a Tshirt with nothing more than a tennis shoe company's logo on it.

Guru
04-12-2008, 10:56 AM
This is a sports forum for crying out loud. Why do we need all these politically charged topics?

Time for me to start using the ignore feature.

This belongs in DC not the lounge.

You seem to like to be at the heart of controversy jAZ even though I am certain you will say you are not.

alanm
04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't even know what most of these words mean, much less how to pronounciate them. I really wish I knew how to post a picture of a bunny with a pancake on his head.
Just for you Phil.:thumb:

milkman
04-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Would opening this thread and reading through it, even though I knew I really wouldn't care about the subject matter and would have nothing to add be an example of cognitive dissonance?

POND_OF_RED
04-12-2008, 11:38 AM
The Marijuana Tax Act

alanm
04-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Would opening this thread and reading through it, even though I knew I really wouldn't care about the subject matter and would have nothing to add be an example of cognitive dissonance?
Why no, Yes it would.

Logical
04-12-2008, 12:23 PM
This is a sports forum for crying out loud. Why do we need all these politically charged topics?

Time for me to start using the ignore feature.

This belongs in DC not the lounge.

You seem to like to be at the heart of controversy jAZ even though I am certain you will say you are not.

I am not sure what makes this topic a DC topic, why would it be politically charged, have the posts so far IYO been politically charged?