PDA

View Full Version : Is Larry Johnson done ---

Logical
04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Has the wear and tear of his 400+ carry season done him in?

Did he ever have the talent to be good behind this pathetic offensive line?

Did the big contract and bonus money take away his incentive to run hard and mean?

Has he pussied up now that he is big in Jaz-Zs crew and the bright lights of NYC?

Douche Baggins
04-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I ANSWER IN VIDEO FORM MOTHER****ER

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rhCsfNXtkaQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rhCsfNXtkaQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Bowser
04-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't think so. Look no further than his TD against Gren Bay last year, where he spiked the flag into the ground. That didn't look like a guy who has checked out mentally.

That being said, I think it would be a bad move to let him top 320 carries again for a season the rest of his career. Kolby Smith proved last year he has it in him to be a capable backup.

keg in kc
04-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I can't base it on anything but my gut, but I don't think he's done.

If his foot's healed.

Brock
04-12-2008, 11:33 AM
No.

Reerun_KC
04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
If Herm gets his way, LJ wont be long for the NFL...

I say Herm pounds LJ into submission agian this year....

Sad to see, but Herms history hasnt proven otherwise... See Curtis Martin.

milkman
04-12-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think he's done, but I don't think he was ever as good as people thought.

But I do think he has 2, 3 years, tops, left.

Sure-Oz
04-12-2008, 11:39 AM
No, give him a decent line

Gonzo
04-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I can't base it on anything but my gut, but I don't think he's done.

If his foot's healed.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Douche Baggins
04-12-2008, 11:46 AM
On a more serious note, I wrote this a week ago in our weekly roundtable:

What do you expect from Larry Johnson this year? I think he has all of the talent in the world and given a legitimate chance he can do some real damage. I don't think it is a fluke that when he went down we lost the rest of our games.

C.E. Wendler: As one of Larry Johnsonís few die-hard fans, itís difficult for me to admit this, but here goes Ė Johnson could fail in his 2008 comeback bid.

Itís not a question of his heart, talent or desire. When a running back busts a tread, it should be treated as a serious, serious injury. Larryís feet take more abuse than any other pair of dogs on KCís roster. Larryís feet are his bread and butter. Larryís feet, if not healthy, render him useless.

What happens the first time a 350-pound defensive tackle stomps on Johnsonís right foot? What happens when he sees someone coming up from behind him to make a tackle, as AJ Hawk did last year when he injured Johnson? Will he hesitate in his next move, afraid of re-injuring his foot?

There are plenty of questions about Larry Johnson in 2008. If his foot survives the pounding of 16 games, heís good for 1,500 yards and 15 touchdowns. If not, Iíll get out my Kleenex again.

On a more technical note, it sure would be nice if Johnson figured out his pass blocking this year.

The Bad Guy

Did he pound him last year?

milkman

Those numbers are the number of carries that Curtis Martin had from '01 to '05 under Herman ****ing Edwards.

His 220 carry season was 12 games due to injury.

Those are all reasonable numbers.

Herman ****ing Edwards sucks ass, but your post here has no merit.

chris
04-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Did the big contract and bonus money take away his incentive to run hard and mean?

Has he pussied up now that he is big in Jaz-Zs crew and the bright lights of NYC?

As if any of us know.

Silly question. :)

His performance in September will answer.

Brock
04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
On a more serious note, I wrote this a week ago in our weekly roundtable:

That's an okay blog entry, I guess.

Douche Baggins
04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
That's an okay blog entry, I guess.

Let's keep this thread on topic. But thanks for the compliment.

Logical
04-12-2008, 11:51 AM
<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rhCsfNXtkaQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
Nice video but it does not answer the question.

Deberg_1990
04-12-2008, 11:54 AM
, but I don't think he was ever as good as people thought.

yea, back-to-back 1700+ yard rushing seasons. 50 TD's in 5 seasons. He clearly isnt very good.

Douche Baggins
Nice video but it does not answer the question.

I think it answered all of your questions.

Logical
On a more serious note, I wrote this a week ago in our weekly roundtable:Now that is a well thought out response.

milkman
04-12-2008, 11:59 AM
yea, back-to-back 1700+ yard rushing seasons. 50 TD's in 5 seasons. He clearly isnt very good.

I didn't say he wasn't good.

I said he wasn't as good as many thought.

It's like Emmit Smith in Dallas.

He was a good back , but without that O-Line he never touches Walter Payton's record.

Larry Johnson is good, but he's not in Tomlinson's class, and many were talking like he was better.

JBucc
04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I think he's got 2-3 productive seasons left. By productive I mean around 1400 yards, if the line is decent and if his foot is healthy. I think being the dominant back he was for two years is out of the question.

Deberg_1990
04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Larry Johnson is good, but he's not in Tomlinson's class, and many were talking like he was better.

All backs have their pros and cons. just like any player.

LT is probably the best all around RB. Complete package. But hes not nearly as strong a runner as LJ is.

Logical
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
I didn't say he wasn't good.

I said he wasn't as good as many thought.

It's like Emmit Smith in Dallas.

He was a good back , but without that O-Line he never touches Walter Payton's record.

Larry Johnson is good, but he's not in Tomlinson's class, and many were talking like he was better.Excellent examples.

philfree
04-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I believe that LJ will have that chip back on his shoulder this year and he will have the fire. After getting injured and sufering through a 4-12 season I can't imagine that with the talk of his demise as a RB that he won't feel like he has something to prove again. I think with Kolby Smith as a sub who'll get some PT the Chiefs will also do a bettter job of keeping LJ from wearing out. Now if the O line is worse or the same then nobdy on our O will achieve anything of note.

PhilFree:arrow:

milkman
04-12-2008, 12:16 PM
All backs have their pros and cons. just like any player.

LT is probably the best all around RB. Complete package. But hes not nearly as strong a runner as LJ is.

Tomlinson is stronger than people give him credit for.

And LJ isn't as strong as people give him credit for.

Tomlison is also far more elusive and has better vison, and I sure as hell wouldn't even begin to draw a complete package comparsion.

blueballs
04-12-2008, 12:33 PM
The crystal ball is busy right now
working on the powerball numbers
and where Bowser's wife's g-spot is

Bowser
04-12-2008, 12:36 PM
The crystal ball is busy right now
working on the powerball numbers
and where Bowser's wife's g-spot is

Let know if you find all of that. I've been lead to believe that none of the above exists.

Halfcan
04-12-2008, 12:52 PM
lj is too busy hating white folks to be worried about football-he is done

KCChiefsMan
04-12-2008, 12:56 PM
he's not done, he's not Barry Sanders and could use some blocking though. He's had a lot of time to heal

Mecca
04-12-2008, 01:20 PM
If done means as in being a top 5 pro bowl level RB that is worth what he's getting paid then yes he's done.

Pestilence
04-12-2008, 01:34 PM
If he's healthy....I can see 1200-1300 yards and 14-15 TDs.

Boon
04-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Is his foot still swolled?

Reerun_KC
04-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Those numbers are the number of carries that Curtis Martin had from '01 to '05 under Herman ****ing Edwards.

His 220 carry season was 12 games due to injury.

Those are all reasonable numbers.

Herman ****ing Edwards sucks ass, but your post here has no merit.
True, but if you talk to NYJ fans, they will say alot of those carries came when Martin was nursing that ankle. And Herm had a healthy Jordan on the sidelines...

I know, I know, Chiefsplanet is the end all of truth, but other boards and fans do believe that Herm has in the past and will in the future, ride his big stud RB like a 300 LBS hooker...

Reerun_KC
04-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Also Milkman, I dont think he is done. Hopefully Gailey will run an offense that will limit LJ and give him the opportunity to last 16 games this year...

It comes down to Gailey protecting LJ from Herm.. If that is successful, then LJ will be a 1400 yard a year guy for another 3-4 years tops...

Mecca
04-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't even care that he rode LJ, RB's are a dime a dozen in my book, it's that they did that then paid him a bunch of money, it was the ultimate dumb move.

Reerun_KC
04-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't even care that he rode LJ, RB's are a dime a dozen in my book, it's that they did that then paid him a bunch of money, it was the ultimate dumb move.
QFT

It has been said and proved that RB is the easiest position to replace on a team...

No a place you want to invest big time Jack in... A great OL makes and average back, great!

suds79
04-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Is Larry done? Yes and No.

I think he's still capable of having a solid season yards wise but I believe his yards per carry average has dropped the last 3 years or so.

So it appears that his effectiveness is declining.

Douche Baggins
04-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Is Larry done? Yes and No.

I think he's still capable of having a solid season yards wise but I believe his yards per carry average has dropped the last 3 years or so.

So it appears that his effectiveness is declining.

No one said that about LT when his YPC went down.

It has everything to do with the offensive line and the idiots running the offense.

stlchiefs
04-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I want to know who's going to hold LJ up in the end zone now that Dunn is gone?

Logical
04-12-2008, 03:43 PM
I want to know who's going to hold LJ up in the end zone now that Dunn is gone?TRich, ooops he is gone too. :shrug:

I think you forget that Herm plays the game for field goals so no need for LJ to go and spoil that plan.

ChiefsCountry
04-12-2008, 04:09 PM
If LJ can give us to 2 to 3 more good seasons, that would be worth it. Face it you get 5 to 6 good seasons out of a back, they have had a good season.

Another thing about Martin - remember all those carries were in his 5th to 10 season in the league. You are going to break down anyway unless you are a Marcus Allen freak type.

B_Ambuehl
04-12-2008, 05:43 PM
He is probably the best there is once he gets past the line of scrimmage. A normal back might hit the 2nd level and pick up 2 or 3 yeards...LJ will pick up 10 or 15. But he is not good at avoiding tacklers in the backfield to get there. So, running behind a good offensive line he is probably the best back in the NFL . Running behind a poor offensive line he is very average. A guy like LT can make a bad offensive line look good because he avoids tacklers in the backfield. LJ doesn't do that.

SNR
04-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Nah, he'll do decently this year. Definitely will return to 1000-yard rusher form

Deberg_1990
04-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Another thing about Martin - remember all those carries were in his 5th to 10 season in the league. You are going to break down anyway unless you are a Marcus Allen freak type.

Your exactly right.

He didnt even have Herm as a HC until his 7th year in the league.

xbarretx
04-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Also Milkman, I dont think he is done. Hopefully Gailey will run an offense that will limit LJ and give him the opportunity to last 16 games this year...

It comes down to Gailey protecting LJ from Herm.. If that is successful, then LJ will be a 1400 yard a year guy for another 3-4 years tops...

well NOT calling 3 yard slants on 2nd and 3rd when you need 10 would be a good start!

milkman
04-12-2008, 06:51 PM
He is probably the best there is once he gets past the line of scrimmage. A normal back might hit the 2nd level and pick up 2 or 3 yeards...LJ will pick up 10 or 15. But he is not good at avoiding tacklers in the backfield to get there. So, running behind a good offensive line he is probably the best back in the NFL . Running behind a poor offensive line he is very average. A guy like LT can make a bad offensive line look good because he avoids tacklers in the backfield. LJ doesn't do that.

Tomlinson is better both behind and beyond the LOS.

Fred Taylor, when healthy, is better beyond the LOS.

milkman
04-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Your exactly right.

He didnt even have Herm as a HC until his 7th year in the league.

That's the years I listed his number of carries from.

milkman
04-12-2008, 06:59 PM
If LJ can give us to 2 to 3 more good seasons, that would be worth it. Face it you get 5 to 6 good seasons out of a back, they have had a good season.

Was Allen such a freak?

He only had one season in his career that he carried the ball more than 300 times (380 in '85).

His next highest total carry season is 275.

After that 380 carry season, the largest number of times he carried the ball in a season is 223.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleMa00.htm

He wasn't a freak.

He just wasn't run into the ground.

Deberg_1990
04-12-2008, 07:00 PM
He just wasn't run into the ground.

Thank you Al Davis

bowener
04-12-2008, 07:44 PM
I am not really a Larry Johnson homer, but I do believe he is better than some think on here. His skills arent really all that fresh in our minds since he was pretty much absent (as was the O) the majority of the year. He is not LT, but give him LT's line (and coaches) and he will make you forget most other running backs.

I just hope we get good enough QB play this year to keep teams honest so that LJ has a chance to get up to full speed... I do have to admit I love to seem him running full speed at DB's.

edit: I know most RB's behind SD line would look great, but I think LJ would look better than the majority.

Rain Man
04-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Larry Johnson hasn't even started yet.

Mecca
04-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Ok question, where do you rate LJ in the league now.....there are several backs I'd take over him at this point of right now.

KCChiefsMan
04-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Ok question, where do you rate LJ in the league now.....there are several backs I'd take over him at this point of right now.

LJ is in the top 10, but not many backs would do well with our line. Actually Barry Sanders in his prime would be the only RB who could do well with our o-line. Give LJ a decent line and he would do just as well as the other top backs in the league.

Mecca
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm trying to think if there's 10 backs I'd take over him, I know there's atleast 5......it's probably close.

milkman
04-12-2008, 08:03 PM
LJ is in the top 10, but not many backs would do well with our line. Actually Barry Sanders in his prime would be the only RB who could do well with our o-line. Give LJ a decent line and he would do just as well as the other top backs in the league.

Walter Payton put up a lot of yards in the first half of his career behind worse O-Lines than Barry Sanders ran behind.

Tomlinson had a couple of good years behind a putrid O-Line.

Gale Sayers, Earl Campbell, Jim Brown, all guys that could have.

Lary Johnson is an above average to good RB, but he isn't great.

the Talking Can
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
LJ is a big fat pussy who doesn't care enough about winning to even block for his QB. If we had a coach with any balls at all that would have been remedied on the first day of practice.

Imagine Parcells or Belicheck the first time LJ whiffed on a LB? You think they'd kiss his ass?

It doesn't matter how many yards he runs for, he won't lay it on the line for the team.

Thankfully, by the time this team is ready to compete again he'll be used up and we'll draft a RB that understands what it takes to make a team successful.

ChiefsCountry
04-12-2008, 08:05 PM
I would rank LJ - 4th. LT, Peterson, Addai would be ahead of him. Behind him at his heels would be Portis.

Mecca
04-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I'd take Westbrook over LJ......he's vastly underrated it seems.

Bob Dole
04-12-2008, 08:21 PM

LJ would be a backup on any other team.

Mecca
04-12-2008, 08:22 PM
LJ would be a backup on any other team.

Har har, I find it funny that people get offended when I say things like that about people, the team sucks what do you want me to say that bad players would start on a good team?

Bob Dole
04-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Har har, I find it funny that people get offended when I say things like that about people, the team sucks what do you want me to say that bad players would start on a good team?

Bob Dole isn't offended. Bob Dole is amused by the irony.

You'd be a backup poster on any other forum.

Logical
04-12-2008, 08:57 PM

You'd be a backup poster on any other forum.Man relegated to back-up poster. Ouch

BIG K
04-12-2008, 09:23 PM

You'd be a backup poster on any other forum.

Well, if he just got downgraded to backup, I guess someone like me is off the 'team' completely! :(

.......Links to other Chiefs forums please? (As I pack..:sulk:)

milkman
04-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Well, if he just got downgraded to backup, I guess someone like me is off the 'team' completely! :(

.......Links to other Chiefs forums please? (As I pack..:sulk:)

What?

You're still here?

BIG K
04-12-2008, 09:36 PM
What?

You're still here?

I was on the bench behind the taco guy

Spectre
04-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Yep, he's done. He might come back and be an average back but he'll get cut with that gigantic contract. He's gonna be a bench warmer in about 2 years with another team.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-12-2008, 11:44 PM

I wish I could tell the future, otherwise I'd have an answer for you. :)

Guess we'll have to find out.

milkman
04-13-2008, 08:14 AM
I was on the bench behind the taco guy

Taco John?

Douche Baggins
04-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Yep, he's done. He might come back and be an average back but he'll get cut with that gigantic contract. He's gonna be a bench warmer in about 2 years with another team.

Fist yourself, troll.

Bwana
04-13-2008, 09:16 AM
It depends what LJ decides LJ wants to put into it. I was not pleased last year with his running for the sideline to avoid hits rather than picking up the extra yards. He got paid and lost his drive IMHO. If we can build a decent line, we will know what we have.

Spectre
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Fist yourself, troll.

It would be alot more enjoyable then reading another one of your craptacular "articles" you ****in waste of semen.

Dave Lane
04-14-2008, 02:59 PM

He got his money and he's done...

Dave

penchief
04-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Hell, no. If you take the totality of his career it is easy to see that he has been UNDERWORKED. He only had one full season as a starter in college (his senior year in which he rushed for 2000 plus yards). And he was underutilized his first three seasons under Vermeil because Vermeil was biased against the pick.

So, in reality, he's only had 2.5 seasons of a full workload. I think LJ has two or three pro-bowl seasons ahead of him if we can establish a competent line.

JMO.

petegz28
04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
His attitude sucked last year. I understand he had a suck line to run behind and I would be pissed about it too. But you have to keep that shit inside or at least behind closed doors.

Spectre
04-14-2008, 06:41 PM
His attitude sucked last year. I understand he had a suck line to run behind and I would be pissed about it too. But you have to keep that shit inside or at least behind closed doors.

His attitude has always sucked.

Hydrae
04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I think he knows there are a lot of questions about him out there as there have been his whole life. I think he takes those questions and doubts and uses them as motivation as he has done so many times. In the end, I think LJ will be fine and make us proud of at least one member of this abortion of a team.

Buehler445
04-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I would rank LJ - 4th. LT, Peterson, Addai would be ahead of him. Behind him at his heels would be Portis.

I'd take Westbrook over LJ......he's vastly underrated it seems.

I take Addai off that list. I think he is a product of the Indy line/offense. Good, but I'll keep LJ.

Westbrook is definitely on that list. He can't run between the tackles like LJ, but he is a dynamic SOB.

I think I also put the Bills RB on there (I'm a gotard and can't remember his name), but in the limited action I saw him, I thought he performed well. As long as he doesn't put the ball on the turf, I think he will be good.

MJD is up there but I'm not certain he could be an every down back. Lawrence Marooney seems impressive, but he may be a product of the NE offense.