PDA

View Full Version : Bennet Looked Pretty Good Last Night

KCWolfman
08-12-2001, 05:26 PM
Granted: the N.O. Defense is not exactly a monster, but for a rookie, Michael Bennet looked awful comfortable. For those of you that stated he was not 1st round material, a reassesment may be necessary.

keg in kc
08-12-2001, 05:42 PM
First off, let me just say it's too early to pass any judgement -- positive or negative --- on any rookie.

That said, here's some thoughts on Bennett: He should do well in terms of statistics because he's not the focus of the Minny offense; sharing the field with Carter, Culpepper and Moss means that defenses won't be keyed exclusively to stop him. There was no better situation for any rookie to land in this season. He didn't catch a pass last night, and receiving skills were my biggest concern. He'll need to show something in that area before my opinion on him changes. He wasn't asked to block much last night, and that's another area of concern. More games will show how he's progressing in that aspect of the game. That o-line just brutalized the 'aints front 7. If they continue to block like that, he'll be rookie of the year.

KCWolfman
08-12-2001, 05:45 PM
KEG - Can't argue with anything you said. However, you also missed that he averaged 3 or 4 hits BEFORE he went down with the ball over the course of the game.... and he almost always surged forward after the initial contact. That is something that doesn't figure into the Carter/Moss equation nor his front line - it was sheer animosity on Bennet's behalf.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-12-2001, 05:47 PM
I agree with Kyle...

talk to you all after the game...

CG

heres to NO injuries:)

keg in kc
08-12-2001, 05:50 PM
I didn't miss anything, wolfman, it was the only game on TV. And I disagree with that completely. He wasn't touched for at least 5 yards downfield on no less than half his carries. He looked like he was running through a big purple tunnel 75% of the time. He made some nice inside moves once or twice, but I knew he could do that already. I certainly don't recall him spinning off tacklers or powering over anyone on every run like you're describing.

The moves of the night went to McAllister, though, on two plays: that pass play where he just...stopped, and cut back. That defender's probably still trying to get his jock out of the rafters (although he did intercept the next pass...). The second one was his touchdown reception, where he spun off two (or was it 3?) tacklers. Too bad he couldn't hold on to the ball on returns, because that really overshadowed anything he did well in the game.

Saying Bennett is going to be great based solely on that game is as premature as saying Deuce will suck...

KCWolfman
08-12-2001, 05:54 PM
Keg - No spinning, merely powering over the goal line on his one yard TD. He was stopped cold before the line and still got the extra push to go to the end zone - on his own.

keg in kc
08-12-2001, 05:56 PM
One play, wolfman, is a lot different than "he averaged 3 or 4 hits BEFORE he went down with the ball over the course of the game".

It was a nice touchdown, though. I agree on that.

KCWolfman
08-12-2001, 06:02 PM
KEG - He played that tough the entire game. As you stated, he has some advantages playing against N.O., but from one solitary game (I know, it is not yet enough to gauge a player), he looks like solid first round material to me.

California Injun
08-12-2001, 06:04 PM
Speaking of the Chiefs and the price of tea in China.......

KCWolfman
08-12-2001, 06:09 PM
BTW KEG - I believe that Deuce will be a top caliber RB as well as Bennett.

Of course, the same argument can be made against McAllister that you made for Bennett - He made those moves against a lower tier defense.

The Minnesota defense isn't exactly Billick material, there are some tough college offenses that could give Green headaches over the last 4 or 5 years.

Bob Dole
08-12-2001, 06:18 PM
McAllister has a long, long way to go, IBDHO. Bob Dole watched the entire game and didn't see anything at all impressive about the Deuce.

Bennett didn't look like a rookie at all.

NaptownChief
08-12-2001, 06:20 PM
It's too early to throw around any I told you so's but James Jackson who I predicted would ultimately be the best back out of this years draft looked great last night against GB...

Fat Elvis
08-12-2001, 10:19 PM
Donnell "The Demoralizer" Bennett still looked like Donnell "The Demoralizer" Bennett....:D