PDA

View Full Version : Broncos close to signing Samie Parker

Marco Polo
04-14-2008, 09:08 AM
The Broncos are reportedly close to signing free agent WR Samie Parker and are in "deep discussions" with Darrell Jackson.

The deal between Parker and Denver could be done as soon as today. The Broncos are the only team known to show interest in Jackson since he was released. Mike Shanahan runs a variation of the West Coast offense Jackson has excelled in, but it is more run heavy than Mike Holmgren's version.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8914836

markk
04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
boy we would be lucky if they tried to use him the way we have tried to use him.

keg in kc
04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Insert traditional "watch him go for 1000 yards in Denver" response here.

Hoover
04-14-2008, 09:12 AM
This makes me nervous. I'm not a huge Parker fan, but he is what he is a nice #3 WR, something we don't currently have on this team. This is one guy we should have resigned if the money was right.

Is this the second coming of Joe Horn? Probably not, but I do think its going to bite us in the ass.

markk
04-14-2008, 09:15 AM
come on, this guy has caught 100 passes in the nfl, gone for 1500 yards, scored 7 tds... in four years

Sure-Oz
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
He will be what kennison was for us haha, actually no

Hays
04-14-2008, 09:17 AM
You wonder what the broncos are thinking here

keg in kc
04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
He will be what kennison was for us haha, actually noIf he does, it's your fault.

Huffman83
04-14-2008, 09:25 AM
.......let them have stone hands.

StcChief
04-14-2008, 09:27 AM
The'll end up releasing him

dirk digler
04-14-2008, 09:30 AM
LMAO I think Shanahan has lost his mind or he is really desperate with some of the moves he has made the last few years.

pr_capone
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Insert traditional "watch him go for 1000 yards in Denver" response here.

watch him go for 1200 yards in Denver :banghead:

crazycoffey
04-14-2008, 09:39 AM
I like this pick up for the donks, in the two games we play against them - we should be able to get at least one INT from a pass bouncing off his hands/shoulder pads...

DaKCMan AP
04-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Samie will do great things in Denver because, uh, Ashley Lelie, uh, was, uh, spectacular in their offense.

morphius
04-14-2008, 09:46 AM
They are trying to steal our offensive secrets... Oh damn, we don't have any.

HemiEd
04-14-2008, 09:49 AM
.......let them have stone hands.

Actually, he wasn't stone hands in 2007. Maybe it was due to it being a contract year, but he showed a lot of improvement on the field.

Mile High Mania
04-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Enh, who knows what will happen...

All I do know is that if they do sign him, it will be cheap and there would be nothing but upside. They wouldn't be breaking the bank or anything like that with Parker.

I'd like DJax as a veteran presence - the guy still has something left. Brandon Marshall (and all of his issues) is the lead dog... Stokely is a nice #3 type of option. They signed Colbert, which like Parker, is nothing but upside. So, competition is good and maybe one of these guys turns into something. The good thing is that neither is expected to be more than a #2-3 option... and that fits what they've done (which isn't much) so far in their careers.

vailpass
04-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Sign FA backups and draft your own starting WRs. It is a good plan. KC is going the same route it appears.

markk
04-14-2008, 09:52 AM
parker does not have 'upside'. he's a scrub. he can't get open, he doesn't ahve good hands... what does he have to offer? it's not like he has shown potential. he's cheap and that's all. this is a spare part, a guy who will be out of the league in a couple years having done nothing

Phobia
04-14-2008, 09:52 AM
I've been one of the most vocal Parker detractors on the internet. I've trashed that guy over and over and over.

But if you couldn't see improvement in his play in 2007, you weren't watching the same games I saw.

I'd rather not see him go to a division rival. I'm not suggesting he'll be Rod Smith but he's perfectly capable of hurting the Chiefs.

eazyb81
04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Awesome news. Parker is awful, and Shanny's magic touch has worn off over the last few years.

vailpass
04-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I've been one of the most vocal Parker detractors on the internet. I've trashed that guy over and over and over.

But if you couldn't see improvement in his play in 2007, you weren't watching the same games I saw.

I'd rather not see him go to a division rival. I'm not suggesting he'll be Rod Smith but he's perfectly capable of hurting the Chiefs.

Now that he has a QB that can deliver the ball anywhere we'll see if Parker has anything. He looks to be a #4 WR that will play in situations or injury fill.

stlchiefs

If that was the goal they should have tried to grab Medlock when he was released.

the Talking Can
if we signed a sammie parker from another team all we would hear is crying about how cheap Carl is and how we lost the FA Championship...but if Denver does it.....

the rat has burned through more FA's in the last 4-5 years (just on the DL alone) than anyone, with the same as Carl to show for it: basically nothing

Frazod
04-14-2008, 10:24 AM

LMAO

I was going to say something similar, but this pretty much sums it up.

Hoover
04-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Joe Horn - 4 years with Chiefs
53 Receptions
879 Yards
7 TDs

Sammie Parker - 4 years with Chiefs
110 Receptions
1529 Yards
7 TDs

Now Horn did breakout a bit his last year here while Parker did not. Horn had 586 yards and 6td in his last year as a Chief.

HemiEd
04-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Exactly, QFT.

Mile High Mania
04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
53 Receptions
879 Yards
7 TDs

110 Receptions
1529 Yards
7 TDs

Now Horn did breakout a bit his last year here while Parker did not. Horn had 586 yards and 6td in his last year as a Chief.

Now, that would rock... Parker turning into Horn Part II: The Carl Curse Continues.

markk
04-14-2008, 10:35 AM
if we signed a sammie parker from another team all we would hear is crying about how cheap Carl is and how we lost the FA Championship...but if Denver does it.....

the rat has burned through more FA's in the last 4-5 years (just on the DL alone) than anyone, with the same as Carl to show for it: basically nothing

exactly, does any team have more draft and free agent whiffs in recent years than the broncos?

Chiefnj2
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
There's no point in KC keeping him, but he's the type of player that could develop into a solid #3 receiver in a new city with different coaching. It's a low risk/medium reward move for Denver.

SNR
04-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Now that he has a QB that can deliver the ball anywhere we'll see if Parker has anything. He looks to be a #4 WR that will play in situations or injury fill.Trent Green couldn't deliver the ball when he was here? :spock:

the Talking Can
04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
53 Receptions
879 Yards
7 TDs

110 Receptions
1529 Yards
7 TDs

you think Parker is the next joe horn?

keg in kc
04-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Trent Green couldn't deliver the ball when he was here? I think when he says "deliver the ball anywhere" he really means anywhere. Like, on the field, off the field, into the front row, out of the stadium. You never know where a Donko pass might go, and that kind of unanticipatable wildness will help to cover up Parker's problems.

Hoover
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
No I don't.

But I think that the Chiefs have needs at the WR position that he could fill. We basically have 2 WRs and thats it, Bowe and Darling. Parker is young and has showed improvement so I don't understand why we want to kick his ass to the curb when we will have to go out and roll the dice on some other WR. I fine with letting him go if we had a #3 WR on this team, sadly we don't.

the Talking Can
04-14-2008, 11:00 AM
No I don't.

But I think that the Chiefs have needs at the WR position that he could fill. We basically have 2 WRs and thats it, Bowe and Darling. Parker is young and has showed improvement so I don't understand why we want to kick his ass to the curb when we will have to go out and roll the dice on some other WR. I fine with letting him go if we had a #3 WR on this team, sadly we don't.

is there any evidence that he wants to resign with KC?

personally, I don't care what he does...he plays no significant roll in our rebuilding....

Hoover
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't know, but there is evidence he wants to find work.

InChiefsHell
04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
No I don't.

He's probably a whiney bitch or something. Either way, it fits Herm's model of rubbing all the Vermiel funk off of this team...with few exceptions, DV's fingerprints are all but wiped clean...

ROYC75
04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by morphius View Post

LMAO

I was going to say something similar, but this pretty much sums it up.

Let's hope they don't get Kris Wilson, our secret weapon. I'm thinking we forgot to use him in our secret offense. Ya know how that mastermind Shannarat would use that against us for sure.:eek:

dj56dt58
04-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Its gonna be ok..Carl has a trick up his sleeve. We are gonna let St Louis sign Parker, then trade a 4th for him

Mr. Laz
04-14-2008, 11:21 AM
they are thinking that Herm is an offensive retart and that Parker will be better in a real offense as a 3rd/4th receiver instead of a #2.

Mile High Mania
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
exactly, does any team have more draft and free agent whiffs in recent years than the broncos?

I know they've wasted a lot of time and energy on the Dline and the 2004 class was yuck... but, I don't think Denver would lead the list of crap from recent years.

MVChiefFan
04-14-2008, 11:26 AM
The only way Parker has anything in common with Horn is if he too slept with Willie Roaf's wife while he was here.

morphius
04-14-2008, 11:34 AM
53 Receptions
879 Yards
7 TDs

110 Receptions
1529 Yards
7 TDs

Well, we played Horn like a number 3 or number 4 WR, not a 3 year starter, so that is completely misleading.

Parker gets better, then gets worse, then gets better, then falls off again, then get injured, blah, blah, blah. The words consistently inconsistent come to mind.

DaKCMan AP
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
The only way Parker has anything in common with Horn is if he too slept with Willie Roaf's wife while he was here.

Nah, he dropped the ball on that one too.

MVChiefFan
04-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Nah, he dropped the ball on that one too.

ROFL

blueballs
04-14-2008, 11:40 AM
PBJ IN-COM-PLETE PARKER PBJ

Mile High Mania
04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
KC hasn't been a pass oriented team though in the last three seasons... 17 / 18 / 17 team passing TDs, right? Is it a fault of the receivers... QBs... coaching... run oriented?

Take your pick. QB has been an issue... Gonzo is the lead guy with Kennison being the other focus. I don't know if Parker is worth the time of day or not, but it's not like KC has been a place for receivers to flourish.

Old Dog
04-14-2008, 11:56 AM

Our offense is so secretive even Chiefs players don't know it.

StcChief
04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by morphius View Post

Let's hope they don't get Kris Wilson, our secret weapon. I'm thinking we forgot to use him in our secret offense. Ya know how that mastermind Shannarat would use that against us for sure.:eek:

yeah we do RRPP

Micjones
04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Denver? That sucks.
I still think he should've been retained as our #3, but that's just me.

Otter
04-14-2008, 12:09 PM
There will certainly be no shortage of inappropriate and exaggerated celebrations on 3 yard completions to a 4(?) year veteran that still jumps to catch passes thrown right between his numbers.

I for one am more than happy to see him going to a division rival.

Mile High Mania
04-14-2008, 12:15 PM
There will certainly be no shortage of inappropriate and exaggerated celebrations on 3 yard completions to a 4(?) year veteran that still jumps to catch passes thrown right between his numbers.

I for one am more than happy to see him going to a division rival.

I'm all for stringing 20 of those together for a 60 yard drive... he'd be damn tired and they may settle for a FG that the replacement for Elam may miss.... but seriously, that would set a record and he'd rule in a PPR fantasy league.

morphius
04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
KC hasn't been a pass oriented team though in the last three seasons... 17 / 18 / 17 team passing TDs, right? Is it a fault of the receivers... QBs... coaching... run oriented?

Take your pick. QB has been an issue... Gonzo is the lead guy with Kennison being the other focus. I don't know if Parker is worth the time of day or not, but it's not like KC has been a place for receivers to flourish.
It isn't about TD's, there have been enough passes go around that if he was any good his stats would be better. Especially with the injuries we had last year.

Mile High Mania
04-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Who knows... a change of scenery helps players. No idea if he'll do anything if he signs in Denver, but it should be a cheap contract... so, if he signs... no big deal. If he fails - it was expected and they lost nothing. If he does well, it's great.

King_Chief_Fan
04-14-2008, 12:53 PM
you add this to the Robertson deal, Herm all of a sudden looks smart for doing nothing!!:eek:

Mile High Mania
04-14-2008, 12:58 PM
you add this to the Robertson deal, Herm all of a sudden looks smart for doing nothing!!:eek:

Let's not go off the deep end...

crazycoffey
04-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Let's not go off the deep end...

exactly, we don't want to land next to shannarat....

alanm
04-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Now that he has a QB that can deliver the ball anywhere we'll see if Parker has anything. He looks to be a #4 WR that will play in situations or injury fill.
The problem wasn't getting him the ball. The problem was him getting open and hanging onto the ball.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
He can get open.

ClevelandBronco
04-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Signing Parker would be a great move so long as the Broncos don't want to do anything stupid such as throwing a football toward him.

StcChief
04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Signing Parker would be a great move so long as the Broncos don't want to do anything stupid such as throwing a football toward him.just make him a return man,
he's alot like Drummond, that will work out well for youROFL

TEX
04-14-2008, 01:40 PM

Probably low risk - could reward.

markk
04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
he really has nothing. i have never been a fan of bringing in guys like this. i'd rather have an undrafted free agent who could be a project than an undersized guy who has had years to demonstrate he can play in the NFL and has only demonstrated the opposite.

vailpass
04-14-2008, 01:50 PM
he really has nothing. i have never been a fan of bringing in guys like this. i'd rather have an undrafted free agent who could be a project than an undersized guy who has had years to demonstrate he can play in the NFL and has only demonstrated the opposite.

I can't argue with that.

Mile High Mania
04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Way too much time spent talking about this guy if you ask me...

SBK
04-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Am I the only one hoping he'll sign with Denver? I'd love to see him come across the middle and have Pollard finally live up to his billing as 'bonecrusher.'

KurtCobain
04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Am I the only one hoping he'll sign with Denver? I'd love to see him come across the middle and have Pollard finally live up to his billing as 'bonecrusher.'

Bones are hard to uncrush.

Demonpenz
04-14-2008, 02:35 PM
he gives him track speed that is fur sure!

HemiEd
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM

This last year was clearly his best EFFORT as a true WR, when he got the chance. Taking into consideration, in 2007, KC's QB had almost a full nano second to get the ball out to a WR, the picture gets clearer.

He would actually look the ball all the way in, make sure of the catch, then proceed on the yards after the catch, if there was any.
His first years, he would run before he caught the ball, continually trying to make the huge play and blowing the routine ones in the process.

Chief Faithful
04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
His first two years Parker was a threat with his speed downfield so I can see why Denver wants a look see. As a possession receiver Parker is hopeless and I'm glad he is gone.