PDA

View Full Version : Paulville

Baby Lee
04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/14/usa

At last, some cheering news for downhearted fans of Ron Paul, the libertarian Republican now certain to fail, by some distance, to secure his party's presidential nomination. This month has seen the first meeting of the shareholders in a fledgling community development planned in rural Texas, to be comprised exclusively of Paul's supporters. It is to be called Paulville.

The gated settlement will house freedom-loving folk, living unbound by the shackles of planning regulations. Its founders hope that when complete, it will inspire further Paulvilles around America and, in their own words, "literally change the world, one community at a time".

The Hudspeth County project has attracted derision across the US, though, with the political gossip website Wonkette.com uncharitably dubbing it "Paultard City". And even at this early stage, it appears that ideological compromises might have to be made. Necessity dictates that the community will function on a cooperative basis, albeit with the ability for households to opt out. The idea is that the option not to access communal utilities, such as electricity, will ensure that its founding individualist principles remain unsullied.

Paulville's supporters believe that politically like-minded individuals can form a thriving community, detached from a busybody state. But historical precedents do not augur well. Some 115 years ago, a group of disillusioned Australians set sail for South America, intent on toiling their way to a new society, in this case, free from avaricious capitalism. Colonia Nueva Australia was duly established in darkest Paraguay. Sadly, rows over leadership and booze quickly sealed the cooperative's fate.

Not all idealistic communities have failed. The Findhorn Foundation, a settlement in the north-east of Scotland, has flourished. Built on spiritual principles and ideas of environmental sustainability, it has become a model for eco-villages around the world.

Though they might have little in common philosophically, advocates of Paulville and Findhorn share the desire to create a template for another world. Jonathan Dawson, an educator based at Findhorn, doesn't see much point to inward-facing micro-communities and talks about "providing an example" to others. "It's not useful to retreat just for the sake of it," he says.

At present the online chatter amongst prospective Paulville residents is of septic-tank permits. But when residents are settled into their new homes, it will surely turn to the right to wield semi-automatic weapons and the abolition of income tax.

NewChief
04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm surprised that they choose to do this in Texas. Usually libertarians want to do these sorts of things in less populous states, so they can then have a chance of eventually voting themselves into a libertarian utopia. God, I wish that would happen.

BucEyedPea
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Well Paulians are making more in roads into the GOP to try and gain key positions too.
Guess what? The GOP leadership is still trying to marginalize and deny them any role.
All they're trying to do is make the GOP more Republican again.

And some local counties have a big slate of Paul delegates too.

The Revolution is still going.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Joinordie.jpg/180px-Joinordie.jpg

Fishpicker
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I'd move there if packing weren't such a chore. Gold & guns are heavy.

pikesome
04-14-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised that they choose to do this in Texas. Usually libertarians want to do these sorts of things in less populous states, so they can then have a chance of eventually voting themselves into a libertarian utopia. God, I wish that would happen.

Nutjobs seem to love Texas. Davidians, the polygamist ranch, who knows how many others.

BucEyedPea
04-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Nutjobs seem to love Texas. Davidians, the polygamist ranch, who knows how many others.

How unAmerican this post is. No freedom. Just prejudice against others unlike you.

pikesome
04-14-2008, 12:09 PM
How unAmerican this post is. No freedom. Just prejudice against others unlike you.

http://z.about.com/d/atheism/1/0/G/0/3/JoanArc17-s.jpg

Time to get down from the stake Joan.

Mr. Kotter
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM

If this isn't TIC....please, BEP....I'd love to hear your thoughts....defending the Davidians and/or the Jeff's polygamists situation. Heh.

:hmmm:

mlyonsd
04-14-2008, 12:19 PM
My advice to the new tenants would be to throw out all Kool Aid pool party invitations that might show up in the mailbox.

StcChief
04-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Texas.... lot's of cheap open land. (whole lotta nothing with fence around it)
NO STATE TAX.

ClevelandBronco
04-14-2008, 01:10 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/14/usa

My prediction: A libertarian collective will be about as successful as the Libertarian Party. Libertarians aren't suited to live together. They're better suited to live independently.

banyon
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
My prediction: A libertarian collective will be about as successful as the Libertarian Party. Libertarians aren't suited to live together. They're better suited to live independently.

That was actually my first thought too. Eerie, ain't it?

SNR
04-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Nutjobs seem to love Texas. Davidians, the polygamist ranch, who knows how many others.I think she was getting at your dumbass comparison of libertarians to polygamists. She was just polite enought to not say, "dumbass".

Hydrae
04-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Wasn't it Vermont the Libertarians were going to take over? I remember about a decade or so ago they were making a push trying to get people to sign up that they would relocate and form a Libertarian state.

Might have been New Hampshire, I know it was one or the other.

Taco John
04-14-2008, 07:05 PM

What do you mean "usually?" This is the first time I've ever even heard of a libertarian wanting to do "these sorts of things" let alone having some sort of modus operendi.

Hydrae
04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
What do you mean "usually?" This is the first time I've ever even heard of a libertarian wanting to do "these sorts of things" let alone having some sort of modus operendi.

http://www.freestateproject.org/news/media_archive/0037.php

chagrin
04-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Wow, the denial here is shocking ROFL

BucEyedPea
04-14-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.freestateproject.org/news/media_archive/0037.php

:D Cool got lots of family there.

Adept Havelock
04-14-2008, 08:44 PM

There was the Minerva project, where some Libertarians decided to build Utopia on an Pacific Island. Only problem was they ignored the property rights of the Nation of Tonga who owned it. Nation Building by theft of property...what a way to display the Libertarian ideal. LMAO

The Libertarians involved claim the island wasn't the property of Tonga. AFAICS, if they can't be bothered to defend their budding nation against the awesome military might of Tonga, they have failed to successfully compete in the rough and tumble marketplace of international politics. :shrug:

I've seen some references to an attempted coup in Suriname, but can't find any details so it may be apocryphal.

BucEyedPea
04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
There was the Minerva project, where some Libertarians decided to build Utopia on an Pacific Island. Only problem was they ignored the property rights of the Nation of Tonga who owned it. Nation Building by theft of property...what a way to display the Libertarian ideal. LMAO

ROFL