PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the Chiefs drafting McFadden?

Count Zarth
04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Here are my thoughts.

http://kan.scout.com/2/746155.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Tuesday we looked at the potential pros and cons of the Chiefs selecting Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan with their first-round pick later this month. In the second part of our five-part Choose Your Destiny series, we weigh the possibility of Arkansas running back Darren McFadden winding up in a Chiefs uniform next season.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
Part II: RB Darren McFadden (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3295116), Arkansas

2007 stats – 325 carries, 1,830 rushing yards, 17 total touchdowns

Career stats – 785 carries, 4,590 rushing yards, 44 total touchdowns

Can history repeat itself in Kansas City? When the Chiefs drafted running back Larry Johnson in 2003 with an in-his-prime Priest Holmes already on the roster, fans weren’t exactly thrilled.

Five years later, there’s no question about the pick – Kansas City hit a home run by selecting Johnson. Would picking McFadden result in a similar plate appearance, or would the Chiefs be merely grounding to shortstop?

There’s no question Run DMC is an electrifying talent. He amassed an incredible 22 100-yard efforts in 38 games as a Razorback, returned kicks for scores, and even threw the ball like LaDanian Tomlinson (seven career touchdown passes).

McFadden only increased his draft stock this offseason, impressing scouts with a 4.33-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. At 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, many are already comparing McFadden to last year’s rookie sensation runner, Adrian Peterson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3642924).

How would all those talents and measurables translate to the Chiefs’ backfield?

With Johnson entrenched as KC’s starter, McFadden would likely supplant second-year runner Kolby Smith (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698874) as the main backup. Johnson improved his pass-catching last season, but you can bet McFadden would see plenty of work on third downs – at Arkansas, Run DMC showed good hands and blocked well in pass protection. He’s been compared to Marshall Faulk, the ultimate NFL receiving option out of the backfield, and is even capable of splitting out wide. <table align="right" cellspacing="7" width="225"><tbody><tr><td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/54/541931.jpg
McFadden's dynamic talents could electrify KC's offense.
Chris Graythen </td></tr></tbody></table>A dual-threat backfield of Johnson and McFadden is certainly an enticing proposition, one that would give opposing defensive coordinators nightmares. After seeing what Chan Gailey did in Pittsburgh with Kordell Stewart, it’s logical to think he’d find a place for a similar dynamic talent within the framework of KC’s offense.

Then there’s what McFadden can do for Johnson – namely, extend his career. After 416 carries in 2006 and a nasty foot injury in 2007, there are doubts about the longevity of LJ’s NFL future.

With McFadden receiving a chunk of the carries, the Chiefs just might witness Johnson play out the remainder of his contract extension. Jerome Bettis, one of the greatest NFL power backs of all time, played until the age of 33 because the Steelers wisely moderated his carries before he hit the age of 30.

Four years from now, imagine the Chiefs having built a team worthy of Super Bowl contention. By this time, McFadden might have supplanted Johnson as the starting running back (ala Willie Parker (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3683554) in Pittsburgh), with LJ coming off the bench for short-yardage and goal-line duty.

Picture McFadden bursting down the sidelines late in the 2012 Super Bowl, setting up the Chiefs for a go-ahead touchdown. Then visualize Johnson carrying the ball across the goal line from a yard out for the winning score and flashing his trademark diamond one last time. There’s nothing more heartwarming for an NFL fan than watching an old, crusty veteran ride off into the sunset a champion. McFadden just might be able to do that for Johnson.

Back in reality, it should also be noted that McFadden would instantly fix KC’s woeful return game. Certainly, he has a lot to offer the Chiefs as the fifth pick in the draft.

So why pass up the opportunity to draft McFadden? I can give you about 45 million reasons.

The gigantic contract Johnson signed last offseason makes giving another running back big-time money a little counter-productive. Last year’s fifth pick in the draft, offensive tackle Levi Brown (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3628876), signed a six-year, $62 million deal with the Cardinals. Peterson, who was taken seventh overall, received $40 million over five years.

You can probably count on McFadden going after a $50 million contract as soon as he’s drafted, and that might be a conservative estimate considering the NFL’s fiscal landscape at the moment. Is it really wise for the Chiefs to tie up almost $100 million in contracts among two running backs, especially when the franchise is attempting to build? The only real positive here is that McFadden isn’t represented by Ethan Lock or Drew Rosenhaus.

Money aside, how would Johnson react to the drafting of another premier running back? Yes, it might light a fire under him the size of Krakatoa, resulting in another record-setting season. <table align="right" cellspacing="7" width="225"><tbody><tr><td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/54/541934.jpg
Can McFadden protect the ball in the NFL?
Matt Slocum - AP </td></tr></tbody></table>But the potential negative consequences could easily erupt on the scale of Pompeii. Johnson could orchestrate another holdout if McFadden received a larger contract. He might demand a trade to another team. He might appear in another music video with Fantasia Barrino (oh, the horror!).

All sorts of things can go wrong when you have one high-priced, moody running back on your team and another shows up with his own off-the-field baggage (McFadden dislocated a toe in 2006 after a bar fight, and reportedly has baby’s mama-issues, ala Travis Henry (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3689943)).

And is it really a great idea to draft another running back when your offensive line sits in shambles? The thought of watching two expensive runners slam into the backs of lackluster linemen for 16 games isn’t appealing.

You might argue a team like the Patriots or Cowboys could use McFadden, because both franchises can afford a luxury pick at this point. The Chiefs aren’t in the same position. There are too many holes on both sides of the ball to consider upgrading what is already one of the team’s stronger positions.

Should everything work out with the contract situation, the team chemistry and the offensive line, there’s still more looming disaster. McFadden fumbled a whopping 15 times last season. Can you imagine the discord at Arrowhead Stadium if Run DMC replaced a disgruntled Larry Johnson in the middle of an offensive series this year and fumbled his first handoff, turning the ball over? The fans would boo, Johnson would vent post-game to the media, and a turnover-conscious coach like Herm Edwards would certainly have something interesting to say.

Yeah, there’s plenty to consider when it comes to drafting Darren McFadden. He could blow up in Kansas City, or self-destruct in the face of anyone and everyone who cares about the Chiefs. Either way, he’s an explosive prospect.

The final word:

As ludicrous as it might be, don't discount the possibility that Kansas City might pick McFadden. Warpaint Illustrated was recently informed that McFadden has been seriously discussed at Arrowhead as recently as this past week. According to our source, the Chiefs definitely have an interest in the rookie running back.

Previously: QB (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=2&c=744744)Matt Ryan (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3176817)

Next: OT Jake Long (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3248192) </td></tr></tbody></table>

kcfan82
04-15-2008, 07:15 PM
He'd probably contribute really well with a wet paper bag offensive line to block for him.

Count Zarth
04-15-2008, 07:21 PM
By the way, interesting trivia - I worked with Matt Slocum in college (photog credit on the AP photo of McFadden fumbling). It's weird seeing his name all the time on the AP site. I used to hate him. :evil:

Third Eye
04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
No doubt McFadden is a talented RB, however I think we have bigger holes to fill if we truly are thinking long-term.

Coach
04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Honestly, I think that'd be a waste of a pick. Why pick on a high RB, who's life expendency in the NFL is possibly the shortest of all? I'd build my line and I can get some cheaper knock-offs in the later rounds or the FA market.

sedated
04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Let's spend a top 5 pick on a questionable character when we have 1000 other holes on our team. Brilliant!

IMO, only soon-to-be contenders should spend high picks on RB's. They're not worth re-signing after their rookie deal.

BigVE
04-15-2008, 07:32 PM
McFadden would be WAY at the bottom of MY list of any potential picks at the 5th spot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I'd rather draft Clady than McFadden, and I f*cking hate Clady.

Count Zarth
04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Something to consider - what if LJ's foot isn't recovering and the Chiefs are keeping it under wraps?

Mecca
04-15-2008, 07:37 PM
You draft a RB in the middle rounds? It's a pretty deep RB year and good RB's go in the middle rounds every single year.

Coach
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Something to consider - what if LJ's foot isn't recovering and the Chiefs are keeping it under wraps?

Still doesn't affect my decision. I wouldn't draft McFadden, especially that the organization has already way too much money tied up to a RB.

Coach
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
You draft a RB in the middle rounds? It's a pretty deep RB year and good RB's go in the middle rounds every single year.

That's my point. You can find solid RB's in the middle to late rounds every single year. Plus it's cheaper.

KcMizzou
04-15-2008, 07:39 PM
McFadden didn't show me a whole hell of a lot in the Cotton Bowl. We've got other issues to address.

BigVE
04-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Ding ding ding...we have a winner. It's not like 15 years ago where people were starving/begging for decent Rb's...there are good rb's all over the place that were drafted after round 3.

Mile High Mania
04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
McFadden didn't show me a whole hell of a lot in the Cotton Bowl. We've got other issues to address.

I think McFadden will be a really good player in the NFL... that being said, it's the wrong pick for KC at that spot. Regarding the cotton bowl... it's not like the passing game did much for them and their defense didn't show up. I think it's unfair to put it all on Darren, but it's no big deal at this point.

PhillyChiefFan
04-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Glaring holes elsewhere, as stated before by everyone who knows the Chiefs. This guy is just trying to stir the rumor cauldron.

Why draft a guy who will probably get planted 5 yds behind the line, due to teams exploiting the very weakness that we should have fixed with young linemen? Eventually, yea the Chiefs will have to replace Johnson, but we drafted, as I believe, a competent backup in Smith last year. So for now, IMO, we are set at RB, now get some brick sh*thouses up front and dig in. :D

KcMizzou
04-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I think McFadden will be a really good player in the NFL... that being said, it's the wrong pick for KC at that spot. Regarding the cotton bowl... it's not like the passing game did much for them and their defense didn't show up. I think it's unfair to put it all on Darren, but it's no big deal at this point.Eh, yeah. I just meant that as a Mizzou fan, that was the one Arkansas game I sat down and watched closely... and McFadden most of all. Frankly, he scared me. I figured if Mizzou was gonna lose, he'd be the reason.

But yeah, you could argue that the Chiefs need a RB, if they didn't need so damned many other positions so much worse.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Honestly, I'd spend a fifth rounder on a guy like Matt Forte, or even a 7th on Jaelen Parmele. I think both can be really good players.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
McFadden is the next LT. You heard it here first.

keg in kc
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
McFadden is the next LT. You heard it here first.Maybe he can gain 100 pounds and take McIntosh's spot.

Bwana
04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
That depends how bad LJ is dinged, but...........um......we need a fricken line for any RB to run behind.

CoMoChief
04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Only if we had already gotten rid of LJ for more first day picks. Which there will be no way in hell we will do that.

So I would tell the Chiefs to go to hell if they did this.

markk
04-15-2008, 08:37 PM
this is the worst pick we can make i think. even if larry johnson is hurt worse than we know, we have kolby smith who looked ok last year behind a terrible offensive line. and like others have said you can find quality running backs in the middle rounds.

i think linemen make running backs, unless they fall at the top or bottom of the talent spectrum.

the wya herm runs the game we need a defense like the marty days so we may as well build one. or build our line.

Frazod
04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I cannot believe anybody is seriously considering signing this overrated prick, considering all the other absolute dire needs this team has. :shake:

Bwana
04-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I cannot believe anybody is seriously considering signing this overrated prick, considering all the other absolute dire needs this team has. :shake:

Consider the Chiefs past draft picks.........I wouldn't be surprised to have them pull the trigger on something like that.

alanm
04-15-2008, 08:46 PM
You lost me after the crappy nickname Run DMC :shake:

JBucc
04-15-2008, 08:48 PM
You lost me after the crappy nickname Run DMC :shake:That's his real nickname. Not something Goaty made up.

Count Zarth
04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
You lost me after the crappy nickname Run DMC :shake:

I didn't coin it....but I think it's a clever nickname.

macdawg
04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I had to step in here & I usually don't post.

No!!!!!

1. Too many holes to fill. I agree with take the best player but come on so many others to choose from & Larry is our best player on offense just no reason.

2. McFadden has amazing speed & a great college carrier but I don't anticipate a great pro career, too tall, too skinny legs, borderline overuse in college, as #1 says we have Larry and I'm cool with his backup.

3. Crap O-line, kid would get killed if Larry got hurt running behind that line and Larry is a lot stronger kid than McFadden.

I'm drunk but and typing but I'd rather have Matt Ryan, or 1 of the top 3 o-lineman or top 2 DT's. Pllleeeaassse don't!

Count Zarth
04-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Can anyone recall a situation in NFL history where two high-priced running backs got together on the same team? Or even two high-profile running backs under the age of 30? I'm racking my brain but can't think of a single one, unless you count Larry and Priest from 2005.

noa
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
This just seems like the Chiefs pretending to be interested in someone we have no intention of taking, out of the hopes that some team will actually believe us and trade up.

SBK
04-15-2008, 09:40 PM
There are other guys that would piss me off more, but I don't see a way that I'd want him over someone else that will be available at 5.

alanm
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Can anyone recall a situation in NFL history where two high-priced running backs got together on the same team? Or even two high-profile running backs under the age of 30? I'm racking my brain but can't think of a single one, unless you count Larry and Priest from 2005.
How'd that work out? :D

BigRock
04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
BPA! BPA! Better take the BPA! I'm gonna be so mad at Herm if he reaches and doesn't take the BPA!

Well, unless it's a BPA I don't want.

ChiefsCountry

Fade in the late 80's with Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen.

Demonpenz
bo jackson and marcus allen in tecmo bowl!

Count Zarth
04-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Fade in the late 80's with Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen.

I wouldn't call that a smashing success. I'm wondering how much they cost. I bet it was feasible.

T-post Tom
04-15-2008, 11:39 PM
MY sources at Arrowhead tell me that the Chiefs have NO interest in McFadden. They actually have plans for something quite different for the RB position in 08-09. I'm not at liberty to say at this point. But it's BIG news.

SBK
04-15-2008, 11:47 PM
MY sources at Arrowhead tell me that the Chiefs have NO interest in McFadden. They actually have plans for something quite different for the RB position in 08-09. I'm not at liberty to say at this point. But it's BIG news.

So you're going to break Goatse's shocking news story? LMAO

T-post Tom
04-15-2008, 11:50 PM
So you're going to break Goatse's shocking news story? LMAO

I want to tell everyone. I really do. But I have to abide by the basic tenets of journalistic integrity and not say anything that could put my sources in jeopardy.

SBK
04-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I want to tell everyone. I really do. But I have to abide by the basic tenets of journalistic integrity and not say anything that could put my sources in jeopardy.

I'm not poking fun at you, I'm making fun of the shocking story Goatse hath foretold.

Have you made it known how you're connected and I missed it, or is it all a big secret?

Miles
04-16-2008, 03:27 AM

Not as high priced but Deuce and Bush come to mind. McAllister wasn't paid like LJ but I seem to recall him having a fairly good contract.

Miles
04-16-2008, 03:30 AM
I wouldn't mind it much if KC takes him with the long's and Dorsey being off the board but might prefer other alternatives.

Tuckdaddy
04-16-2008, 06:19 AM
McFaden is a bad ass. I've watch nearly all of his games and if he's there I wouldn't blame the Chiefs for taking him. I have no doubt that he would be better that LJ.

Hog Farmer
04-16-2008, 06:33 AM
LJ's foot problem will come back to haunt us. I could see value in this pick. We do need some young talent at KR anyway.

keg in kc
04-16-2008, 06:48 AM
There are worse picks.

There may be better ones as well.

ArrowheadHawk
04-16-2008, 07:31 AM
If he is the best available then I say take him. If not then move along.

TEX
04-16-2008, 07:47 AM
If he is the best available then I say take him. If not then move along.

Yep.

markk
04-16-2008, 08:13 AM
i only hear arkansas homers who think hes good enough to blow a top 5 pick when we need every other position on the field. therefore i say no

TEX
04-16-2008, 08:16 AM
i only hear arkansas homers who think hes good enough to blow a top 5 pick when we need every other position on the field. therefore i say no

Don't fret. We're gonna have several top 5 picks in the years to come. :shake:

keg in kc
04-16-2008, 08:20 AM
You don't have to be an Arkansas homer to see the Adrian Peterson comparison. The guy's got size and wheels, he just happened to play for an also-ran.

ChiTown
04-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Here's a thought..............

The Chiefs need help at JUST ABOUT every position. To be totally honest, I just want them to get the best athlete available at whatever position they deem to be their greatest need. The scary part of all this is that Carl is still managing the Chiefs draft.:eek:

markk
04-16-2008, 08:28 AM
You don't have to be an Arkansas homer to see the Adrian Peterson comparison. The guy's got size and wheels, he just happened to play for an also-ran.

that's great. i'd still rather be the one auctioning off a top 5 running back than investing a top 5 pick in one

keg in kc
04-16-2008, 08:30 AM
that's great. i'd still rather be the one auctioning off a top 5 running back than investing a top 5 pick in oneIt's not the pick I'd make either, especially when we have about a gazillion dollars going to LJ, but that doesn't mean McFadden can't be the next AP or LT. There are worse picks the franchise could (and probably will) make.

morphius
04-16-2008, 08:30 AM
At this point if they did it I think I would just laugh and throw my arms up in the air in surrender. Sure our offense doesn't work at all without a top tier RB scaring D's, but with RB, DE, and Punter being the only real locks on the team...

El Jefe
04-16-2008, 09:56 AM
I would pass on McFadden, too much money to tie up in two RB's. Like it has been stated you can find good running backs in the earl rounds regularly now a days. He is not even on my list of wants to draft, not for this team.

beach tribe
04-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I see how someone could COMPARE him to AP. He's an extremely talented back. I'm not one to call shots, but I don't think D-Mac can drink from AP's cup.

RedandGold
04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
If we had a stacked team and had the luxury of being able to draft a second RB as a homerun threat, then I'd be all for it. However, we aren't anywhere near being in that position, so I'd pass.

If he looked anything like AP, then I might be more tempted, but he isn't even in the same zip code.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
We should have lost more games. :shakeshead.

Mile High Mania
04-16-2008, 12:13 PM
If he looked anything like AP, then I might be more tempted, but he isn't even in the same zip code.

Please, there is a reason that AP can't beat out Benson... for the gig. Comparing DMAC to AP is insane...

:D

Mr. Laz
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
i'd rather draft RB Mike Hart in the middle rounds or Brandon McAnderson in the 6th/7th/FA

J Diddy
04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I think if the chiefs drafted McFadden there would be a mushroom cloud over arrowhead.

Furthermore, would we draft a punter in the 2nd?

ChiefsCountry
04-16-2008, 12:54 PM
If both Longs, Dorsey and Ellis are gone I would consider McFadden long and hard. He would be a hell of a lot better pick than Matt Ryan or Ryan Clady. Gholston would be tempting but I think would go with McFadden. Remember Gailey made Kordell Stewart into the slash, with a talent like McFadden and Pittsburgh was smashmouth ball back then, you think he could do something similar with DMC.

bowener
04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I want us to pick him just to see what ensues. We know he would be a great athlete and with a good line, could turn into a force... but I am more interested in seeing people on here blow the **** up.

Mecca
04-16-2008, 02:42 PM
i'd rather draft RB Mike Hart in the middle rounds or Brandon McAnderson in the 6th/7th/FA

If you're being dead honest I think Mike Hart is a shitty pro prospect...