PDA

View Full Version : Football Cardinals' Watson breaks kneecap

Smed1065
04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Looks like Alan Branch might get a chance to start the season, depending on how this turns out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3349687

Arizona Cardinals nose tackle Gabe Watson will miss offseason practices after he fell off a treadmill last week and fractured his kneecap.

Watson, who had surgery to repair the kneecap, also will be limited in training camp when it begins in July, but the team expressed hope he would be ready for the start of the regular season.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed the incident on Tuesday to the Arizona Republic. Whisenhunt said that Watson had worked out at the team's practice facility earlier last Thursday, went to work out again at a local health club, and slipped while on the club's treadmill, injuring his kneecap.

"The thing that's disappointing is that Gabe has shown such great progress and he's getting it," Whisenhunt told The Republic. "Just the fact that he was working to get himself in shape after he had done his workout here is a testament to him.

"One thing that's an advantage for him is that he's in such better shape at this point than he's ever been in, it gives him a much greater chance at getting back quickly."

Watson's backup is Alan Branch, who was the Cardinals' second-round draft pick in 2007.

"Alan is going through typical first-year player things in the offseason," Whisenhunt told The Republic. "Now the focus on him is going to be a little bit greater. Hopefully, that will force him to pick up the urgency, which he has shown signs of doing."

keg in kc
04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Alan Branch, my "why the **** did we draft Bowe and not him" pick of draft day last year.

Then the season happened and I understood.

Brock
04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I love how the bullshit stops on draft day and you find out who is really who.

BigVE
04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I love how the bullshit stops on draft day and you find out who is really who.

OMG you are right, and it CANNOT come fast enough.

keg in kc
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
OMG you are right, and it CANNOT come fast enough.Heard that.

Rain Man
04-16-2008, 07:06 PM
I didn't recall Branch dropping all the way to the second round. It's funny how these guys will get hyped, and then you don't hear of them again once the season starts. I think Branch was actually my preferred choice when the Chiefs' 1st round pick came last year, though in my defense I think Bowe was my second choice.

Spicy McHaggis
04-16-2008, 07:15 PM
I didn't recall Branch dropping all the way to the second round. It's funny how these guys will get hyped, and then you don't hear of them again once the season starts. I think Branch was actually my preferred choice when the Chiefs' 1st round pick came last year, though in my defense I think Bowe was my second choice.

I think Branch was barely a second rounder. You're right though, it is funny how things work out. Some prognosticators had him in the top 10-15.

beach tribe
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I think Branch was barely a second rounder. You're right though, it is funny how things work out. Some prognosticators had him in the top 10-15.

But............... they are experts.

Almost as good as Mecca.