PDA

View Full Version : Rooftop Garden / Green Roof?

aturnis
04-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Branching off on the "Anybody got a Garden" thread. Has anyone tried to make a rooftop garden, commonly called a green roof. Want to build my girlfriend a new 24'X24' 2 stall garage, but don't want to give up any of the already too small lawn.

From what I know there are two options, building an entire roof system full of dirt, or just growing everything in containers, which might be less expensive.

I'd like a flat roof for this, but in Iowa, with the rain and snow, a flat roof may not be too tempting for drainage reasons. So I thought of maybe putting a single pitch to the roof, using furring strips to level it off, and placing a deck up top. I'm sure this way I'd have to have railings as per code, and might be expensive, but could probably get the desired effect.

Phobia, any input, knowledge, or experience?

Phobia
04-16-2008, 05:15 PM
I just toured a house this afternoon with several green roofs/decks throughout. It's gorgeous and very efficient but pretty spendy on the front end.

Joe Seahawk
04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Figure about $12.00 per sf for an assembly similar to this one.

http://www.cetco.com/BMG/TechData/Strataseal%20HR-Landscaped%20Assembly.pdf

Brock
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
No room in the yard?

aturnis
04-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the input. It's not that there is no room in the yard, just that what lawn would remain we'd like to keep for the dog to run and my nieces and nephews to play when they come. Probably going to add a deck to the back of the house also.

Phobia: So sloping the entire roof toward the back of the garage and building a "deck" for a container garden would probably be the best option huh?