PDA

View Full Version : Football Another Charger suspended.....

Smed1065
04-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe it just was not good draft picks or UFA's? See bottom of article as well.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080416-9999-1s16cooper.html

Linebacker will sit out season's first four games
By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 16, 2008

The Chargers will play the first four games of the 2008 season without inside linebacker Stephen Cooper, who has tested positive for a banned substance.

Several sources said Cooper tested positive for ephedra in December.
Cooper was not available for comment, and his agent did not return multiple messages. But the player did issue this statement through the team:

“I regret that I mistakenly took a stimulant that I did not realize at the time was banned by the NFL. I support the NFL's anti-doping policies and understand that I must serve a suspension even though the stimulant that I took was not used before any game and was not used to enhance my performance. I apologize to the NFL, my team, my coaches, and to my fans, and I look forward to continuing to help the Chargers toward our goal of winning the Super Bowl in the upcoming season.”
Ephedra is a stimulant that until an FDA ban in 2004 was a prominent ingredient in over-the-counter weight-loss supplements. It has been banned by the NFL since 2001. The NFL was the first pro sports league to ban ephedra.

The NFL notifies all of its players that they are responsible to know the ingredients of everything they put in their bodies.

“It's very disappointing,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “Coop embarrassed himself, his family and the Chargers. He made a mistake and now he will move forward with his life. Some guys learn from their mistakes and others do not. I believe Stephen Cooper will learn from his and move forward in a very positive way.”

Head coach Norv Turner expressed disappointment as well, but he compared the bottom line of Cooper's suspension to that of a player being injured. (The Chargers may also be without center Nick Hardwick and/or tight end Antonio Gates in September because of injury.) Coaches, Turner pointed out, have to play the players they have.

“It's unfortunate,” Turner said, “But we'll deal with it and move on.

One source said the Chargers' February signing of linebacker Derek Smith was not related to Cooper's pending suspension. At the least, however, the signing of Smith appears prescient. Smith was to be Cooper's backup and will presumably start those four games.

The Union-Tribune first reported Cooper's pending suspension on its Web site yesterday. Several hours later, after being asked about Cooper's situation, the NFL issued the following statement:

“Stephen Cooper of the San Diego Chargers has been suspended without pay for the team's first four regular-season games of 2008 for violating the NFL Policy on Steroids and Related Substances. Cooper's suspension begins on Saturday, August 30. He is eligible to return to the Chargers' active roster on Monday, September 29, following the team's September 28 game against the Oakland Raiders. Cooper is eligible to participate in the team's offseason program and in all preseason practices and games.”

Several sources said Cooper's defense was that the positive test was the result of ephedra being in a recreational drug.

The irony is that if Cooper had tested positive for a recreational drug rather than a banned substance, he would not have been suspended. A player's first positive test for illicit drugs brings counseling and more tests, but a player is not suspended until a second such positive. Testing positive for steroids or a related substance, though, brings an automatic four-game suspension.

In March 2003, a month before he signed with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent, Cooper was sentenced to one year's probation for possession of anabolic steroids. He pleaded guilty to possession of 1,262 steroid pills and had to perform 100 hours of community service and paid $225 in fines.

Hydrae
04-16-2008, 06:42 PM
In March 2003, a month before he signed with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent, Cooper was sentenced to one year's probation for possession of anabolic steroids. He pleaded guilty to possession of 1,262 steroid pills and had to perform 100 hours of community service and paid $225 in fines.

Boy those Chargers are a clean bunch aren't they?

beach tribe
04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Him and roid boy are probably poking eachother in the ass with more than their penises,

el borracho
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Too bad the Chiefs won't be able to take advantage of his absence.

rad
04-16-2008, 07:02 PM

You think it really matters?

milkman
04-16-2008, 07:03 PM

Are we playing them in the first four weeks?

el borracho
04-16-2008, 07:05 PM
You think it really matters?

I wasn't even considering the schedule- just the state of our team. The Chargers will sweep us this year with or without Cooper.

keg in kc
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Merriman and Castillo are good influences.

el borracho
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Are we playing them in the first four weeks?
No,

@ San Diego in November
hosting the Chargers in December

but it wouldn't matter; even if we were playing them in the 1st four weeks of the season they would whip us.

Smed1065
04-16-2008, 07:08 PM
IIRC, he was the defender to wear the "communication" helmet on defense this year.

talastan
04-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Ha Ha!! Laugh at another Dumb@ss Dolt on Roids....Makes ya wonder what is in the water at Qualcomm? :hmmm:

Rausch
04-16-2008, 07:13 PM
No,

@ San Diego in November

but it wouldn't matter; even if we were playing them in the 1st four weeks of the season they would whip us.

I fully believe in our ability to win 5 games this year. We'll beat the two best teams on our schedule and then drop like 4 straight to what should be our easy stretch.

milkman
04-16-2008, 07:36 PM
No,

@ San Diego in November

rad made my point better than me.

milkman
04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
I fully believe in our ability to win 5 games this year. We'll beat the two best teams on our schedule and then drop like 4 straight to what should be our easy stretch.

When you suck ass, there is no such thing as an easy stretch.

rad
04-16-2008, 07:52 PM
When you suck ass, there is no such thing as an easy stretch.

We'll probably find a way to rack up a loss during the bye week.

Rain Man
04-16-2008, 07:58 PM
My conclusion from this is that Stephen Cooper is a stinking liar.

Buck
04-16-2008, 10:16 PM
He was supposed to wear the Defensive Headphones...

And,

We Smoke ROcks!