PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Who do we target now at #5?

bowener
04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I am not as up to snuff on the draft as probably the majority of you all are, so I am seeking some interesting and insightful thoughts on who you think we will target at #5 now; or what will we do with the #5 pick?

McNair is retiring, so do you think the Ravens would like a chance at Ryan?
J Allen seems to be on his way out, do we target DL; DE specifically? And if he is to be traded which team seems more realistic to you in wanting his services? Last thing I read about the Vikes is that they need to find a great DE in this draft... so maybe this is the only way they could find one... by stealing out ****ing star, those assholes.... :cuss:

Who are the best DE prospects after C Long and what draft position are they worthy of?

I am just confused by all this J Allen stuff. I know we need more youth and numbers, but this seems to be taking at LEAST 2 steps back if not more.

Thank you and please discuss!

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
With losing JA looking more certain, right now I don't give a &$@! who we take. Or anything else about this team, until the front office and coaching staff is gone. I've been a fan as long as KC has had the Chiefs, and I can't remember the last time I felt this much disgust towards them.

suds79
04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Does it really matter who the next best DE prospects are after Chris Long?

They'll all pale in comparison to Jared Allen...

I thought the idea of rebuilding was to get more players of the quality of Allen? Not lose them. I don't know. Maybe I just don't get it.

As far as the draft, it's too hard to predict what might happen right now with things up in the air... lets see what happens in the trade.

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
With losing JA looking more certain, right now I don't give a &$@! who we take. Or anything else about this team, until the front office and coaching staff is gone. I've been a fan as long as KC has had the Chiefs, and I can't remember the last time I felt this much disgust towards them.

GET OVER IT!

stlchiefs
04-17-2008, 11:24 AM

I'm with ya. We finally have an amazing game changing player on D who is a fan favorite and we want to trade him for questionable draft pick? I'm very pissed right now.

Draft day trade: Trade our 5th to Minnesota for Jared Allen.

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
NO BS, probably Dorsey or Ellis

Reerun_KC
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
GET OVER IT!
GET OVER IT, IT HAPPENS, ITS CALLED LIFE! /Herm

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
GET OVER IT!

If you're quoting Carl and being silly, LMAO

If you're serious, Geh Kak Afen Yam!

I don't get it (other than Carl's ego). Trade a stud DE just to spend a Top 5 draft pick on a player at the same position that might be as good, and a late first round draft pick that may or may not become a starter?

What a rebuilding process. :shake:

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
You still target who you had targeted before. Trading Jared Allen doesn't change the top 5 players on your draft board.

bowener
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM

Im in your boat man... but by the looks of this, we may need to make it a ship.

stlchiefs
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
You still target who you had targeted before. Trading Jared Allen doesn't change the top 5 players on your draft board.

It doesn't change the need for a starting DE?

bowener
04-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Its not just the Allen trade now though... how interested if at all are the Ravens in Ryan? Will we listen seriously if they want to trade up to #5 and grab him?

stlchiefs
Im in your boat man... but by the looks of this, we may need to make it a ship.

Let me on the focking Cruise Liner.

eazyb81
BPA, just like we were doing before the Allen trade.

Guys, we are going to suck next year. That was going to happen with or without Allen. We don't have to get a DE in the 1st now to keep our playoff hopes alive.

It's time to rebuild the right way, and that starts by drafting the best talent available.

Adept Havelock

Exactly. All this does is add a gaping hole at a premium position, that might be adequately filled. It's beyond inane.

If I had any faith in Carl to get fair value for JA, I might reconsider. I don't.

It's time to rebuild the right way, and that starts by drafting the best talent available.

You also "rebuild" by keeping your young and ascending superstar, especially if he's the only one on the squad.

Let me on the focking Cruise Liner.

Sure. I just regret it's a cruise liner. Right now I wish it was a CVN ready to deliver an Alpha Strike on One Arrowhead Way.

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 11:33 AM

Sure, but does it make it any bigger of a need than we have at every other position on the roster? Just because JA gets traded doesn't make it ok to reach for a player at #5. Chris Long will most likely be gone and Ellis, Long, Long or Dorsey are all better selections than Gholston.

If we could get Minny's #17 and a 2nd or their #17, a 3rd and 4th or something that we could package to trade up from #17 to grab Derrick Harvey I'd be ok with that.

suds79
04-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Guys, we are going to suck next year. That was going to happen with or without Allen. We don't have to get a DE in the 1st now to keep our playoff hopes alive.

:clap::clap::clap:

bowener
04-17-2008, 11:34 AM

I dont think I am questioning the rebuilding so much. I am starting to grow numb to it now anyways, and it is just fun to bitch about... CP has worn off on me. I think I am just bothered by the fact that we stated over an over we want to keep players like JA and remove players like Trent Green and Priest Holmes, and even possibly LJ, and then we turn around and trade somebody who seems to be growing into a leader finally. As for his drinking problems, yeah, signing him would be risky as hell, but so is this trade... if he is traded though, I say we all chip in and freight mail him about 1000 gallons of beer for his $$$ celebration.

suds79
04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not saying this guy should start but considering Turk McBride (yuck. what a downgrade from Allen) was a 2nd round pick, he should be able to challenge for the starting job.

If not, then that was a bad draft pick..

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm not saying this guy should start but considering Turk McBride (yuck. what a downgrade from Allen) was a 2nd round pick, he should be able to challenge for the starting job.

If not, then that was a bad draft pick..

Considering our past 2nd rounders, I think the latter is far more likely.

bowener
04-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Im actually not trying to be a dick, but maybe we should just go ahead and trade Tony G now too? I would rather trade him and get him on a good team so he could get a ring, just out of respect for the man.

suds79
04-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Unfortunately.... It'd be nice to change that someday wouldn't it?

No but the reason why I say that is because Turk was a 2nd rounder on Herm's watch. So he's just as much part in Herm's draft evaluation as say a Dwayne Bowe is....

suds79
04-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Im actually not trying to be a dick, but maybe we should just go ahead and trade Tony G now too? I would rather trade him and get him on a good team so he could get a ring, just out of respect for the man.

No we're far more interested in trading players during their prime years.

I mean why trade guys who's best years are behind them? :banghead:

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM

:LOL:

bowener
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
No we're far more interested in trading players during their prime years.

I mean why trade guys who's best years are behind them? :banghead:

Because we like to throw money at them :shrug:

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
This also seems like they are looking at Brian Johnston in the later rounds too by this move.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
The Chiefs should have open tryouts

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aux_hRJYED8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aux_hRJYED8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

evolve27
04-17-2008, 11:47 AM
This also seems like they are looking at Brian Johnston in the later rounds too by this move.

Sorry, but who? We're fuggin DOOMED.

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
:LOL:

I'm glad you find our abysmal record drafting in the second round so funny.

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2008, 11:54 AM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182224

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 11:55 AM

No need to apologize. We forgive your college football ignorance.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 11:57 AM
The Chiefs should have open tryouts

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aux_hRJYED8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Cmon who wouldn't want to see Stevieray give a shot at QB or Phobia @ TE?

bowener
04-17-2008, 12:38 PM
So, what if CP is just doing this to see what the market value of Allen is, then if he likes it he will match the offer?

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 12:39 PM
If we go 2-14, will that be enough to get all the morons running the franchise fired? You think? Maybe? Or is Clark drinking all their koolaid?

At least I found my wallet today. I was afraid someone was gonna run up my credit card.

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Cmon who wouldn't want to see Stevieray give a shot at QB or Phobia @ TE?I've seen Stevieray throw a football. Think Rich Gannon without the arm strength or the wheels.

As for phobia at tight end, well, just because he weighs as much as Jason Dunn doesn't mean he'll block like him...

And, you know, you of all people saying you'd like to see phobia at "tight end" raises some questions. *cough*

But I digress.

Direckshun
04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I believe we still Draft Ellis, but Gholston becomes more of an option now.

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I believe we still Draft Ellis, but Gholston becomes more of an option now.My dream scenario is that Chris Long drops. Although I'm not sure I want this franchise infested by dirty Raider genes.

It's not that much of a stretch. (Jake) Long's going 1, apparently, that leaves Chris Long, Dorsey and Ellis. All we need is for one of the teams in front of us to draft a player not on that list, and we get a really good d-lineman, if that's the direction we want to go.

Of course, they could also all be gone...

Skip Towne
04-17-2008, 12:48 PM
It doesn't matter who we draft. Our HC is Herm Edwards.

bowener
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
It doesn't matter who we draft. Our HC is Herm Edwards.

:doh!:

Direckshun
04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
My dream scenario is that Chris Long drops. Although I'm not sure I want this franchise infested by dirty Raider genes.

It's not that much of a stretch. (Jake) Long's going 1, apparently, that leaves Chris Long, Dorsey and Ellis. All we need is for one of the teams in front of us to draft a player not on that list, and we get a really good d-lineman, if that's the direction we want to go.

I continue to believe that Herm does not want Dorsey.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I've seen Stevieray throw a football. Think Rich Gannon without the arm strength or the wheels.

As for phobia at tight end, well, just because he weighs as much as Jason Dunn doesn't mean he'll block like him...

And, you know, you of all people saying you'd like to see phobia at "tight end" raises some questions. *cough*

But I digress.

LMAO....:)

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 12:51 PM
I continue to believe that Herm does not want Dorsey.

I continue to believe the opposite of what you believe.

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 12:52 PM
I continue to believe that Herm does not want Dorsey.Why? Didn't Herm go down to watch his pro day in person? And he was here Monday.

Micjones
04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Matt Ryan. Let's start by making a real commitment to the QB position.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-17-2008, 01:14 PM
IMO this has Matt Ryan written all over it. Then we take Otah or Williams at 17.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 01:28 PM
IMO this has Matt Ryan written all over it. Then we take Otah or Williams at 17.

Yep, that's my prediction as well.

If Atlanta takes Ryan then we will take Dorsey.

beach tribe
04-17-2008, 01:54 PM

Yep. He's earned the right to not have to play another down for this organization.

The man has never experienced winning a playoff game.

Why the **** do I have to be bonded with this abomination of a team?

Vegas_Dave
04-17-2008, 02:06 PM
While I would hate to see JA leave, lets face it... the Chiefs need 2 GOOD drafts to even have a chance of rebuilding. This years draft is NOT to be rebuilding the team this year... it is year 1 of at least 2 for rebuilding.

So why pay JA huge money if we can further the team with that in mind?

Consider that if we get a 1st and a 3rd for JA this year, we would/should be able to pick up players that will substantially help this franchise 2-4 years down the line.

Get ready to be in the top 5 again next year... it will make the pain of this upcoming season less bitter.

J Diddy
04-17-2008, 02:09 PM
My dream scenario is that Chris Long drops. Although I'm not sure I want this franchise infested by dirty Raider genes.

marcus allen

what?

tomahawk kid
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
You hope Chris Long drops to 5 and take the best OT available at 17 or 20.

Stryker
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Matt Ryan THEN OT.

Vegas_Dave
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Matt Ryan THEN OT.

This would be my #2 fav scenario (I still would prefer J Long but that looks less likely the closer we get to the draft).

Coogs
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Matt Ryan THEN OT.

:thumb:

Coogs
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Matt Ryan THEN OT.

In fact, I might be willing to trade back up a bit from #17 to get the best LT available. Maybe with Buffalo at #11.

markk
04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
since we will be left with about 5 players who belong on a good team, i am in favor of us taking Ryan and just starting all over. Get your franchise QB, then build the o-lines and d-lines.

Chief Faithful
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM

I don't see Chris Long getting past #2. If he gets to #5 the Chiefs should take him. Father a Raider and son a Chief would be too fun to bypass.

KCChiefsMan
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't care, I'm too pissed off about the JA thing. I've lost all hope as long as Carl remains at the helm of this team.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Matt Ryan THEN OT.

This is my top scenario.

Start the rebuilding by getting our franchise QB and LT in one draft.

ChiefsCountry
04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
If they draft Matt Ryan that will piss me off more than trading Jared Allen.

KCChiefsMan
04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
If they draft Matt Ryan that will piss me off more than trading Jared Allen.

nah. I wouldn't be pissed off if we got Matt Ryan, you gotta take a chance at some point to get a franchise QB and Matt Ryan looks like he could be a pretty solid NFL QB

stlchiefs
04-17-2008, 04:14 PM
This is my top scenario.

So we are looking to be the Cleveland Browns part deux.

What do you think they'd trade Brady Quinn for right now after signing Anderson? An early 2nd or a couple 2nds?

Valiant
04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
If Gholsten is there, take him and have him play OLB, I would say falcon position so he could either line up behind Allen or Hali.. If we trade JA then still go for him and have him be DE.. But I would rather have him behind Allen as a LB'r...

royr17
04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
If We Trade Allen then we draft Vernon Gholston, if not, then we trade the # 5 spot to get more draft picks. New Orleans could be a trade partner as they are lookin to move up, we could trade with them and acquire th # 10 selection. While pickin up a 2nd and a 5th in the process to.

royr17
04-17-2008, 04:56 PM
If Gholsten is there, take him and have him play OLB, I would say falcon position so he could either line up behind Allen or Hali.. If we trade Hali then still go for him and have him be DE.. But I would rather have him behind Allen as a LB'r...

We aint going to trade Tamba, we would be trading JA.

royr17
04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Im sorry I like JA as a football player but he's just got too much baggage, and its time for the chiefs to move on. If he gets a DUI one more time then he's done for the year, and I dont want the chiefs to invest all that money into a player that is one problem away from being suspended for the year.

Its time to take what we can get and move on.

LiL stumppy
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Depending on what we get for Allen, I wouldn't mind a Ellis,Gholston,Ryan with the #5 and Clady with the other.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
This is my top scenario.

If somehow they took Matt Ryan first and followed it with the LT I like in Chris Williams, I'd be pretty happy about that.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Yep, that's my prediction as well.

If Atlanta takes Ryan then we will take Dorsey.

and then take Flacco at 17?

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
If somehow they took Matt Ryan first and followed it with the LT I like in Chris Williams, I'd be pretty happy about that.

Meanwhile we have no pass rush.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Meanwhile this will take more than 1 year.....that fills 2 very important positions while a pass rusher I like is dropping to the 2nd round in Quentin Groves.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 05:10 PM

there wil be more rounds to pick up defensive players

Mecca
04-17-2008, 05:10 PM
and then take Flacco at 17?

No......that guy isn't worth a 1st rounder.

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Meanwhile this will take more than 1 year.....that fills 2 very important positions while a pass rusher I like is dropping to the 2nd round in Quentin Groves.

We're gonna lose 31-13 a bunch of times next year. The offense is gonna be a ****ing mess and the only real weapon we had last year on defense, the guy who raped the Vikings and the Bengals and the Raiders (3 wins right there) is gonna be GONE.

Valiant
04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
We aint going to trade Tamba, we would be trading JA.

Mistyped..

Mecca
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
We're gonna lose 31-13 a bunch of times next year. The offense is gonna be a ****ing mess and the only real weapon we had last year on defense, the guy who raped the Vikings and the Bengals and the Raiders (3 wins right there) is gonna be GONE.

Winning 2 games and winning 5 games isn't that much different and I don't think anyone thinks the Chiefs will be ready to contend for atleast 2 more years, stop thinking about next year and think about 3 years from now.

Micjones
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM

I think I might take Ryan and then Derrick Harvey at 17 (if he's there).
Then go after my Offensive Tackle in Round 2.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
No......that guy isn't worth a 1st rounder.

your right he probably could be had with our early 2nd...so if we get Dorsey/Ellis @ 5 assuming we get the 17th pick from Minn for JA...then who?

Interesting Clayton article

Defensive end Jared Allen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6885), the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan)' designated franchise player, has scheduled visits with two NFL teams even though he doesn't have any assurance the Chiefs would even consider trading him.

According to a source, Allen is in the process of scheduling trips to the Minnesota Vikings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=min) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=tam) over the next week. Because he is an unsigned franchise player, Allen has the freedom to meet and talk to teams, but the current price tag for a team wanting to sign him is two No. 1 picks, which is a price most teams aren't willing to consi
Negotiations between the Chiefs and Allen are at the very beginning stage and no deal is close. ESPN's Michael Smith reported that according to league sources, the Chiefs don't intend to re-sign Allen and expect to deal him before they pick fifth overall in the NFL draft.
The Chiefs confirmed Thursday that they are talking to a "few teams" about a possible trade for Allen.
<!-- begin whole table -->
<!-- begin top part --> <table class="left" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>[/URL]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- end table -->
<!-- end whole table --> Should the Chiefs be willing to listen to a trade, it creates an interesting scenario. The Chiefs currently have the No. 5 pick in the draft and are in need of offensive linemen. If the Chiefs would consider a trade of Allen, they could select [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12144"]Vernon Gholston (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3351576) or Chris Long (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11845) to help them at defensive end and then take an offensive lineman with a first-round pick acquired in a trade.

Smith reported that according to sources, the Vikings appear to be a front-runner because they have, and are willing to deal, Kansas City what it wants most -- draft choices.

Tampa Bay only has five picks in this year's draft and, according to sources, the Bucs are reluctant to include more than a first-round pick for Allen. The Bucs have offered their first-round pick and a fifth-round pick next year, and their proposed deal could also include defensive lineman Jovan Haye (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8603), Smith reported.

Meanwhile Minnesota is considering offering its first-round pick and a second-round pick in 2009, while the Chiefs would prefer to deal for picks in this year's draft, sources told Smith.

BigRedChief
04-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Todd McShay's new mock draft has us taking Albert.

Bowser
04-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Todd McShay angers me.

thurman merman
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
who gives a **** who they target? they will either suck, or they will get traded when they are in their prime.

BigRedChief
04-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Todd McShay angers me.
Would you really be surprised if King Carl tryed to prove he's smarter than the rest of the NFL and takes Albert at #5?

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 06:02 PM

Earlier today on ESPN, McShay said we were targeting Derrick Harvey at #5, but then said that was probably too high to take him.

I hope to God he pulled a Clemens and misremembered a name.

Bowser
04-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Would you really be surprised if King Carl tryed to prove he's smarter than the rest of the NFL and takes Albert at #5?

Nope.

Who knows with Carl? We might end up with Aqib Talib or DeSean Jackson at #5.