PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Clark Hunt's grand plan: Cut as much payroll as possible

KCChiefsFan88
04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Clark Hunt can no longer hide behind "we are rebuilding" as an excuse for getting rid of players left and right and refusing to sign even semi-decent caliber free agents.

How would trading Jared Allen, the Chiefs best player on defense, their only difference maker on defense and guy still in his mid 20's be consistent with rebuilding with young players?

Clark wanted and got the taxpayers to pay for major upgrades to Arrowhead, but since he took over the team following his father's death he has done everything in his power to cut payroll in a way that would make David Glass or the Florida Marlins blush.

Clark Hunt=Mike Brown=John York.

xbarretx
04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Clark Hunt can no longer hide behind "we are rebuilding" as an excuse for getting rid of players left and right and refusing to sign even semi-decent caliber free agents.

How would trading Jared Allen, the Chiefs best player on defense, their only difference maker on defense and guy still in his mid 20's be consistent with rebuilding with young players?

Clark wanted and got the taxpayers to pay for major upgrades to Arrowhead, but since he took over the team following his father's death he has done everything in his power to cut payroll in a way that would make David Glass or the Florida Marlins blush.

meaning? you think hes trying to pull a royals and just invest the bare minimum and rely on sponserships/advertising to bring in money?

Phobia
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't think you're a complete moron or anything but this thread does not bode well for you.

JBucc
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I....think you're a complete moron...Agreed.

ChiefsCountry
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't think you're a complete moron or anything but this thread does not bode well for you.

Were you expecting anything else from 88?

Psyko Tek
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
just read today that LA was putting together a stadium, and looking to move a team in

Dave Lane
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM

:) ROFL

Yeah it does look that way...

Dave

Short Leash Hootie
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I like Jared Allen as much as the next, and if he gets traded, I'll be very interested in seeing what kind of guaranteed money he lands elsewhere...

If he gets $30M guaranteed + I think this is the right move for the Chiefs...you can't pay Allen, LJ, #5 pick, Tony Gonzalez, DJ in another year or two, etc... and field a team that can contend...too much money locked up into too few players...

If we can get two mid 1sts for the guy that combined will play for 1/2 as much as Allen then we can give DJ a fair contract and continue building through the draft and put a contender on the field within a few years.

Our big mistake, and 95% of us agreed with this mistake when it happened so hindsight is 20/20, was giving LJ the money instead of Jared Allen.

I still hope that somehow, the compensation Allen agrees to with Minnesota or Tampa or whoever is what Carl is looking to see, because I think he knows Allen doesn't want to negotiate a fair deal with him, and then upon seeing it Carl offers the same deal to Allen who for some reason decides to accept (which I doubt because then he'll feel like Carl betrayed him again...)

We'll see I guess...it'll be a shame to see a top 5 defensive player in the NFL get traded...that's for sure. Maybe we'll strike gold and land a Ware and a Joe Thomas? I'd take those two for Jared Allen...but that's a big if, I know...

cdcox
04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I would give this theory serious consideration if it were not for the Gonzo and LJ contract.

The Chiefs aren't evil, just incompetent.

Smed1065
04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I like Jared Allen as much as the next, and if he gets traded, I'll be very interested in seeing what kind of guaranteed money he lands elsewhere...

If he gets $30M guaranteed + I think this is the right move for the Chiefs...you can't pay Allen, LJ, #5 pick, Tony Gonzalez, DJ in another year or two, etc... and field a team that can contend...too much money locked up into too few players...

If we can get two mid 1sts for the guy that combined will play for 1/2 as much as Allen then we can give DJ a fair contract and continue building through the draft and put a contender on the field within a few years.

Our big mistake, and 95% of us agreed with this mistake when it happened so hindsight is 20/20, was giving LJ the money instead of Jared Allen.

I still hope that somehow, the compensation Allen agrees to with Minnesota or Tampa or whoever is what Carl is looking to see, because I think he knows Allen doesn't want to negotiate a fair deal with him, and then upon seeing it Carl offers the same deal to Allen who for some reason decides to accept (which I doubt because then he'll feel like Carl betrayed him again...)

We'll see I guess...it'll be a shame to see a top 5 defensive player in the NFL get traded...that's for sure. Maybe we'll strike gold and land a Ware and a Joe Thomas? I'd take those two for Jared Allen...but that's a big if, I know...

We have the right to match any offer and keep him. It would not be up to Jared at that point.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I fully expected to open this thread and read numerous posts agreeing with the OP.

Douche Baggins
04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I would give this theory serious consideration if it were not for the Gonzo and LJ contract.

That was last year and the year before, though.

Now all the stadium crap is on the bill. They can't fork over 100 million in contracts to two players in one offseason.

cdcox
04-17-2008, 06:08 PM
That was last year and the year before, though.

Now all the stadium crap is on the bill. They can't fork over 100 million in contracts to two players in one offseason.

When it comes to cash flow, the Hunt's spreadsheet probably goes out 10 years into the future. They are not changing the financial course of the franchise on a year-to-year basis. When they say they have a plan, this is what they mean.

Douche Baggins
04-17-2008, 06:09 PM
When it comes to cash flow, the Hunt's spreadsheet probably goes out 10 years into the future. They are not changing the financial course of the franchise on a year-to-year basis. When they say they have a plan, this is what they mean.

Hard to gauge how much money you will have to pay your first-round pick every year, though.

cdcox
04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Hard to gauge how much money you will have to pay your first-round pick every year, though.

I could come up with a Monte Carlo program that would put some bounds on the lower and upper 95% confidence intervals in a day. And I'm not even a financial guy.

ChiefsCountry
04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
And that is what Clark did for a living.

Craash
04-17-2008, 07:05 PM
And that is what Clark did for a living.

I thought he was Lamar's kid for a living?

Douche Baggins
04-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I thought he was Lamar's kid for a living?

I am tired of the lack of respect given to Clark Hunt around here.

The man graduated VALEDICTORIAN from SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY. That is no small ****ing feat.

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
The dumbass thread starter obviously doesn't know that the NFL has not only a salary CAP, but a salary FLOOR.

Each team HAS TO SPEND at least 85% of the cap, or almost $99M.

****stick.

KCChiefsFan88
04-18-2008, 12:39 AM
The dumbass thread starter obviously doesn't know that the NFL has not only a salary CAP, but a salary FLOOR.

Each team HAS TO SPEND at least 85% of the cap, or almost $99M.

****stick.

And what type of teams are usually at the salary floor? Teams like Arizona, the 49ers under York a few years ago before they started spending $$$... losing teams with owners who want to spend the least amount of money possible.

Dumbasses such as yourself who regularly slurp Clark, Dictator Carl and Herm can't comprehend the fact Clark Hunt wants to spend as little as possible on this franchise. He could honestly care less about how that impacts the Chiefs on field performance. Spending so little that you are near the salary floor is the NFL's version of payroll dumping.

stevieray
04-18-2008, 12:47 AM
And what type of teams are usually at the salary floor? Teams like Arizona, the 49ers under York a few years ago before they started spending $$$... losing teams with owners who want to spend the least amount of money possible.

Dumbasses such as yourself who regularly slurp Clark, Dictator Carl and Herm can't comprehend the fact Clark Hunt wants to spend as little as possible on this franchise. He could honestly care less about how that impacts the Chiefs on field performance. Spending so little that you are near the salary floor is the NFL's version of payroll dumping.

Yup, the master plan is to revamp an empty Arrowhead.

blueballs
04-18-2008, 12:58 AM
THere is cap maximum
and a cap minimum
you idiot

Reerun_KC
04-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Yup, the master plan is to revamp an empty Arrowhead.
Your right, it sure would make construction alot easier...

patteeu
04-18-2008, 08:48 AM

I'm guessing that you were one of the people arguing that Carl should quit trying to compete every single year but instead scrap the team and suffer through a couple of dismal seasons in order to take a shot at the SuperBowl. Now that he appears to be doing that, you're not happy. Big surprise.

HonestChieffan
04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Stupid

BigChiefFan
04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I agree with ownership being tight. Sorry, but you can rebuild and STILL KEEP your core players, to suggest otherwise is bonified horseshit.

OnTheWarpath58
04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah, being FORCED to spend $100M dollars on payroll is being "tight."

:rolleyes:

Seeing as how the MOST you can spend is $116M, to these billionaire owners, $16M is a drop in the bucket.

Hell, the Packers and Giants were in the bottom third of the league in payroll for 2007.

Direckshun
04-18-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't think people understand that Jared Allen is going to ask for (and probably get very close to) the greatest NFL contract handed to a defensive player ever. Some here may believe he is worth that -- I am very hesitant.

This isn't being cheap, this is taking a problematic situation and getting the best result for everybody -- comparably cheaper players without the two strikes against them that Jared has. And by "cheaper," I mean players that won't cost us the greatest contracts in the history of the NFL.

milkman
04-19-2008, 08:18 AM

QFT

ChiTown
04-19-2008, 08:20 AM
wtf?

BigChiefFan
04-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, being FORCED to spend $100M dollars on payroll is being "tight."

:rolleyes:

Seeing as how the MOST you can spend is $116M, to these billionaire owners, $16M is a drop in the bucket.

Hell, the Packers and Giants were in the bottom third of the league in payroll for 2007.
It's called a BUDGET. The Chiefs PROFIT EVERY YEAR.-$30 million plus POCKETED after all the players, coaches, and the rest of the overhead is covered.

milkman
04-19-2008, 08:26 AM

You are a ****ing moron.

I'm surprised your dumb ass can read, but reading and comprehension are two different things.

There are very few people here that are slurping Calrk, Carl and Herman ****ing Edwards.

we are stuck with Clark, but we (most of us) can't wait for the day that Carl and Herman ****ing Edwards are told to pack their bags.