PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ESPN said we're going to get the Viqueens 1st and one of their 3rd's for JA

Pages : [1] 2

ILChief
04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Considering we'll have to use one of our firsts to replace Allen, we're basically trading him for a 3rd round pick.

I HATE YOU CARL!!! :cuss:

kstater
04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Shocking

Basileus777
04-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Well a 3rd round pick and a boatload of cash that we won't have to spend.

But yeah, I'm not thrilled.

Sure-Oz
04-17-2008, 07:36 PM
They also said we are in WIN NOW mode too

alnorth
Considering we'll have to use one of our firsts to replace Allen, we're basically trading him for a 3rd round pick.

Well, you also have to consider that this trade could significantly improve our #1 pick next year. So, we traded him for a 3rd, and traded up all our picks next year maybe 5 spots in the draft order.

Hmmm, thats all the turd-polishing that I can handle. Any more and it will sparkle.

Mr. Flopnuts
Actually, we'll need to use OUR 1st to have ANY chance of replacing him. Then theirs to take whatever reach we were going to take in the first place. I'm beginning to hate this franchise..........

Brock
04-17-2008, 07:40 PM
That really isn't enough.

Rain Man
Maybe I'll become a Vikings fan for a while. I like purple. Alan Page was kind of cool. Fran Tarkenton, Carl Eller, Randy Moss, Robert Smith...yeah, if this happens, I'm a Vikings fan from now on.

Super Bowl IV was a bummer.

BigMeatballDave
Actually, we'll need to use OUR 1st to have ANY chance of replacing him. Then theirs to take whatever reach we were going to take in the first place. I'm beginning to hate this franchise..........Remember, we are in a complete rebuilding mode. We don't have to replace JA this draft. We'll be picking top 5 next season. That said, I hope C. Long is there at #5 next weekend.

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 07:41 PM
That would be...craptacular.

Guru
idiots

Mile High Mania
Weird...

Maybe there's a pending "run in with the law" that they are aware of...

kstater
04-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Weird...

Great Idea. Anyone know a KC cop? Get the trade done then arrest him.

Rain Man
04-17-2008, 07:43 PM
In all seriousness, is there a personnel move that could be worse than this? Essentially, they're potentially trading the team's most popular player, second-biggest star, and best long-term prospect for rebuilding on the heels of one of the worst seasons in team history. Would it be possible to do something worse than that?

dj56dt58
04-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Everyone is invited over this weekend..I'm inviting this piece of shit gm over so we can beat his ass and put it on myspace

ClevelandBronco
In all seriousness, is there a personnel move that could be worse than this? Essentially, they're potentially trading the team's most popular player, second-biggest star, and best long-term prospect for rebuilding on the heels of one of the worst seasons in team history. Would it be possible to do something worse than that?

Trade the new third rounder for Samie Parker?

KcMizzou
Remember, we are in a complete rebuilding mode. We don't have to replace JA this draft. We'll be picking top 5 next season. That said, I hope C. Long is there at #5 next weekend.If that happened... man, you talk about pressure.

That poor kid wouldn't stand a chance. Every pissed off KC fan would be foaming at the mouth at his every mistake. Being the spawn of Howie Long probably wouldn't help either.

LMAO

Boris The Great
04-17-2008, 07:46 PM
They didnt say anything, it was total speculation.

Frazod
04-17-2008, 07:47 PM
We should AT LEAST get a first and a second.

If they really do this.... God, I won't know whether to scream, cry or puke.

DIE CARL DIE :bang:

Mr. Laz
04-17-2008, 07:48 PM
not really any move worse that i can think of maybe if they know he's started drinking again or something.

Jared allen is healthier than Larry Johnson and has a longer shelf life

Jared allen is younger than Tony G.

they paid tony and larry but are trade jared

unless there is some kind of legal issue pending, this is stupid on a legendary scale.

Coogs
04-17-2008, 07:48 PM

I'm not sure I would replace him this draft. Next season Selvie from South Florida would make a nice replacement.

Guru
04-17-2008, 07:49 PM
We should AT LEAST get a first and a second.

If they really do this.... God, I won't know whether to scream, cry or puke.

DIE CARL DIE :bang:
What he said.

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 07:49 PM
They didnt say anything, it was total speculation.Yeah. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mizzou_8541
04-17-2008, 07:50 PM

Or...get somethng in return for him now instead of nothing in 1 or 2 years

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Maybe I'll become a Vikings fan for a while. I like purple. Alan Page was kind of cool. Fran Tarkenton, Carl Eller, Randy Moss, Robert Smith...yeah, if this happens, I'm a Vikings fan from now on.

John Randle! Ice fishing!

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Weird...

Then we could all praise Carl for hoodwinking the Vikings and get pissed at Jared.

Bipolar planet!

Rain Man
04-17-2008, 07:52 PM
John Randle! Ice fishing!

Big, functional defensive tackles! I think I'm liking this.

Bowser
04-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Thus cementing Carl Peterson's legacy that there is no trade that he isn't willing to take it in the shorts for (if it turns out to be true).

BigRock
04-17-2008, 07:55 PM
I heard Michael Smith say it could be the Vikings 1st and 3rd in 2008 and their 2nd in 2009. But I don't think he was stating anything as a fact.

Frazod
04-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I heard Michael Smith say it could be the Vikings 1st and 3rd in 2008 and their 2nd in 2009. But I don't think he was stating anything as a fact.

That's a little better.

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM

That's what Nick told me earlier today.

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 07:58 PM

Plus, that cool horn. And cool fan mascots.

JBucc
04-17-2008, 07:58 PM
I heard Michael Smith say it could be the Vikings 1st and 3rd in 2008 and their 2nd in 2009. But I don't think he was stating anything as a fact.He seemed 100% convinced that that's where he'd end up though.

the Talking Can
04-17-2008, 08:01 PM
best young DE in the league, perfectly healthy, in his prime

for a 3rd

Skip Towne
04-17-2008, 08:02 PM

You Vikings fans are so arrogant.

Pestilence
04-17-2008, 08:03 PM

for a 3rd

Who says that you have to use your 1st round draft pick on a DE? If Chris Long is there at 5 then yeah sure......but you don't automatically have to use a 1st round pick on a replacement DE.

alnorth
04-17-2008, 08:03 PM

Nah, it doesnt work. Purple is such an awful color. Our laundry beats the hell out of their laundry.

Bowser
04-17-2008, 08:04 PM

for a 3rd

But we drafted him in the fourth. That's a net gain of one round and X amount of value points.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Look even if they trade him they shouldn't immediatly over value a DE, they should stay true to their board and take the best players....

Hell you can possibly get a Quentin Groves in the 2nd there is no reason to overvalue a DE even with the trade.

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Who says that you have to use your 1st round draft pick on a DE? If Chris Long is there at 5 then yeah sure......but you don't automatically have to use a 1st round pick on a replacement DE.

Exactly.

BigVE
04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
OR, you could look at THIS way: J.A. was basically in a contract year last year and OVER-performed. Let's assume he NEVER reaches the same type of numbers as this year, let's assume that at such a young age he has NOT yet laid off of the booze. Hmmm...nope, still doesn't help. Eh, with the way this franchise has gone the past several years I don't even care. Bring on the young'ns.

Skip Towne
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
That's what Nick told me earlier today.

Nick also said we would get a 1st and a 6th for Trent Green.

the Talking Can
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM

when did I say that?

Rain Man
04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
That's a little better.

So do you think they'll pick the next Matt Blundin or the next Junior Siavii?

the Talking Can
04-17-2008, 08:11 PM
So do you think they'll pick the next Matt Blundin or the next Junior Siavii?

Sims
Riley
Bartee

hell of a first day if you ask me

J Diddy
04-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Trade the new third rounder for Samie Parker?
thats why denver picked him up--they knew something

Silock
04-17-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't see why this is so bad. Wasn't there rumblings a few weeks ago about JA not even wanting to BE here?

I see this as a win, really. If he doesn't want to be here, we don't force him, we get picks to replace him and dump his salary.

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't see why this is so bad. Wasn't there rumblings a few weeks ago about JA not even wanting to BE here?

I see this as a win, really. If he doesn't want to be here, we don't force him, we get picks to replace him and dump his salary.

He wants to be here. He's said as much.

Unfortunately, Carl wants him to be here at a much lower price than is reasonable.

jspchief
04-17-2008, 08:15 PM
This is awesome. Stunting our pass rush should do wonders for our shitful secondary.

Bowser
04-17-2008, 08:16 PM
This is awesome. Stunting our pass rush should do wonders for our shitful secondary.

What, no faith in Pollard, Patterson, and Brackenridge in coverage?

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 08:18 PM
What, no faith in Pollard, Patterson, and Brackenridge in coverage?

WATAR COVARS SEVENTEE PARSENT OF OUR PLANNIT

POTRIK SURTEIN COVARS THA REST

Bowser
04-17-2008, 08:19 PM
WATAR COVARS SEVENTEE PARSENT OF OUR PLANNIT

POTRIK SURTEIN COVARS THA REST

LMAO

Thank god.

Psyko Tek
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
trade our only pro bowler with a long future ahead of him

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
He wants to be here. He's said as much.

Unfortunately, Carl wants him to be here at a much lower price than is reasonable.

Bullshit.

I'm sorry, but he doesn't deserve Dwight Freeney money, and that's what he's asking for.

Is Dwight Freeney one drink away from a year long suspension?

Did Dwight Freeney try to force the Colts hand by telling them he wouldn't sign long term if he played under the tag?

Quit blaming Carl. Allen brought this on himself.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
If we make this trade for only a 1st and 3rd it's ****ing stupidity.

I'd prefer to wait until draft day and see what shapes up if this is the best they have to offer. It's not like we HAVE to trade Allen. Wost case we have a really expensive ****ing stud...

recxjake
04-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Wouldn't drafting Long at 5 cost about the same as JA wants?

Rausch
04-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Bullshit.

I'm sorry, but he doesn't deserve Dwight Freeney money, and that's what he's asking for.

Did Dwight Freeney try to force the Colts hand by telling them he wouldn't sign long term if he played under the tag?

Allen brought the situation but if rumors are true Carl's made the worst of it...

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Allen brought this on himself.

By doing everything the Chiefs asked him to do?

Yeah, whatever.

Psyko Tek
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
But we drafted him in the fourth. That's a net gain of one round and X amount of value points.

and "value points" sacked how many qb's last year?

screw the points
we just traded a pro bowler for 2 rookies that may or may not pan out
all because Carl is a fuggin' idiot

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Not quite.

But ANY player we draft at 5 is going to get a huge chunk of change.

It has nothing to do with potentially trading Allen.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Very similar gauranteed money, yes. But everyone ASSUMES the unproven draft pick is cheaper. Why, I have no idea.

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
By doing everything the Chiefs asked him to do?

Yeah, whatever.

Easy to say when it's not your money.

"Jared, we know you've been a reckless party animal since your teenage years, but that 9 months you stayed clean? Well, that's all we need to see. Here's the biggest contract given to a player in league history."

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Very similar gauranteed money, yes. But everyone ASSUMES the unproven draft pick is cheaper. Why, I have no idea.

We're picking someone in that slot REGARDLESS of whether we traded Allen or not.

dirk digler
The more I think about this deal the worse it gets. The Chiefs need to get the Vikings 1 & 2 this and next years 1st as well.

CoMoChief
This move is the worst thing the Chiefs could do.

I believe in getting worst to get better in terms of rebuilding. But rebuilding does not include taking your best young player who's only 26 and is the best overall or at worst top 3 DE in the league and trading him for a gamble on some rookie with no credibility in the league.

**** this team. I've put up with Carl's retarded ass shinannigans for too long. This is far more retarded than letting Gannon and Donnie Edwards go combined. Ill go root for the Bears.

DaWolf
04-17-2008, 08:32 PM
This reeks of Herm trying to get new, coachable guys on the team and get rid of the old culture.

Hey, we weren't winning a championship with Allen, might as well try something we haven't done before...

CoMoChief
04-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Easy to say when it's not your money.

"Jared, we know you've been a reckless party animal since your teenage years, but that 9 months you stayed clean? Well, that's all we need to see. Here's the biggest contract given to a player in league history."

Oh **** please. Larry Johnson is more of a threat off the field to this team than Jared Allen is just by the fact that LJ lives the thug ass lifestyle.

People close to Jared said he has cleaned up. It's not like he doesn't wanna play football. You don't think he knows that he will get suspended again for even more time this time around if he ****s up again?

Come on people. This is stupid.

CoMoChief
04-17-2008, 08:33 PM
This reeks of Herm trying to get new, coachable guys on the team and get rid of the old culture.

Hey, we weren't winning a championship with Allen, might as well try something we haven't done before...

WTF has Allen done besides do what the coaches ask of him and be our best defensive player?

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh **** please. Larry Johnson is more of a threat off the field to this team than Jared Allen is just by the fact that LJ lives the thug ass lifestyle.

People close to Jared said he has cleaned up. It's not like he doesn't wanna play football. You don't think he knows that he will get suspended again for even more time this time around if he ****s up again?

You'd think that, wouldn't you.

How many DWI's does he have?

To get a second one means you didn't learn a lesson from the first one.

Excuse me if I'm not bending over backwards to give him $100M because he stayed clean for a whopping 9 months.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
We're picking someone in that slot REGARDLESS of whether we traded Allen or not.

Yes. Good players tend to ask for good money.

We haven't been willing to pay for many good players and...well....we haven't had many. We've overpayed for a ton of guys with average talent but we haven't made a fair deal (outside Gonzo and Holmes) to any really talented player. On our team or a FA.

My gripe is with the crowd that clams we can dump Allen and his desired paycheck for a much cheaper option at the 5 spot. That 5 spot isn't cheap, and using it to replace Allen is just treading water. Instead of a big position gain at the 5 we're sticking our finger in the dam..

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
WTF has Allen done besides do what the coaches ask of him and be our best defensive player?

I'm pretty sure the coaches didn't ask him to get a SECOND DWI......

xbarretx
04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Remember, we are in a complete rebuilding mode. We don't have to replace JA this draft. We'll be picking top 5 next season. That said, I hope C. Long is there at #5 next weekend.

I hear you and thats a good point proving Pz is wrong about WIN NOW mode... :huh: if we are then were (and Brodie) screwed :(

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
They lied to him, Warpath. They lied to Jared Allen.

mikey23545
04-17-2008, 08:38 PM

Wow.

You demonstrate an uncommon ignorance of addiction.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
I hear you and thats a good point proving Pz is wrong about WIN NOW mode... :huh: if we are then were (and Brodie) screwed :(

I'm starting to wonder if "the plan" is to let "Bottom Dollar" Brodie take the lumps behind a $#it line while our newly drafted franchise QB plays in some preseason games and waits for his line to arrive...

mikey23545
04-17-2008, 08:40 PM

You have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, you little female-journalist wannabe.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 08:40 PM

If Allen didn't expect that from Peterson his mullet is giving him bad advice...

OnTheWarpath58
04-17-2008, 08:41 PM

And he got a SECOND DWI.

I'm not feeling much sympathy for him, to be honest.

If he had stayed clean after the FIRST DWI, this wouldn't be an issue.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-17-2008, 08:41 PM
This kind of shit could only happen to the Chiefs.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
so this would give us 12 picks and possibly 6-7 new starters

Mecca
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Bullshit.

We're on the same page on this.

jspchief
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
so this would give us 12 picks and possibly 6-7 new starters
Or possibly 1 mediocre starter, a few benchriders, a few practice squad players, and a few guys to cut.

rocks
04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Not enough, need more. Otherwise its a freakn gift!

Mecca
04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
People have their kneejerk reaction but guess what, you pay him the ridiculous contract he wants with his past behaviour and he gets suspended then everyone goes nuts about how stupid it was to keep him...

It's like I've said before Allen has been given the benefit of the doubt other players haven't been given when he's done worse as far as his standing with the league...

Direckshun
04-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I think I would have taken the Vikings' 1st and 2nd next year instead.

It'd take a year to get there, but **** it, 4 picks in the first two rounds...

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 08:50 PM
It doesn't matter, Mecca. The Chiefs made him certain promises. They broke those promises.

**** 'em.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Or possibly 1 mediocre starter, a few benchriders, a few practice squad players, and a few guys to cut.

:spock:

2 firsts - #5 & 17
1 second - #4
2 thirds - #3 & 10
1 fourth - #6
2 fifth - #1 & 5
2 sixth - #4 & 21
2 seventh - #3 & 32

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 08:52 PM
People have their kneejerk reaction but guess what, you pay him the ridiculous contract he wants with his past behaviour and he gets suspended then everyone goes nuts about how stupid it was to keep him...

It's like I've said before Allen has been given the benefit of the doubt other players haven't been given when he's done worse as far as his standing with the league...

The problem is the Chiefs have a horrible drafting record so we are giving up a premiere player at his position for an unknown talent and letting Carl and Herm ****ing Edwards make that pick.

Boy I feel better already. :rolleyes:

Mecca
04-17-2008, 08:53 PM

If you think they're always gonna draft like that why be a fan of the team then? A team that can't draft WILL NEVER WIN, so why waste your time?

rocks

His past performance on the field AND his past behavior of the field has to be reflected in his new contract with specific covenants. If not, we or any team would be contract foolish! IMO

Mecca
The problem is the Chiefs have a horrible drafting record so we are giving up a premiere player at his position for an unknown talent and letting Carl and Herm ****ing Edwards make that pick.

Boy I feel better already. :rolleyes:

See the post below yours and answer that...

Chiefnj2
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
If you think they're always gonna draft like that why be a fan of the team then? A team that can't draft WILL NEVER WIN, so why waste your time?

So why have you been wasting your time the last 12 years? KC has proven for over a decade it can't draft very well.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 08:55 PM

2 firsts - #5 & 17
1 second - #4
2 thirds - #3 & 10
1 fourth - #6
2 fifth - #1 & 5
2 sixth - #4 & 21
2 seventh - #3 & 32
Actually wouldn't suprise me if the Chiefs trade out of #5 if Ryan is there to pick up #8 and Baltimores 2nd rounder #7

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 08:55 PM
See the post below yours and answer that...

See the post below and answer that sucka :)

jspchief
04-17-2008, 08:56 PM
It has nothing to do with how I think the Chiefs will draft.

I don't like the idea of trading a proven commodity in the prime of his career for a roll of the dice... regardless of who's doing the drafting.

It's easy to say "we could get 6-7 starters" but the reality of the NFL draft says that is pretty unlikely.

Direckshun
04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Actually wouldn't suprise me if the Chiefs trade out of #5 if Ryan is there to pick up #8 and Baltimores 2nd rounder #7
Man, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Geezus we are just pinning everything -- not this season, but perhaps the next few seasons -- on this Draft.

Skip Towne
I wish everybody would just relax. It makes absolutely no difference what we do with Jerad Allen. We would still have Herm. We just have to wait until he is gone then rebuild the team. Jerad will be too old by then.

Chiefnj2

His contract demands were fair market value. How many great defensive players have the Chiefs drafted the last 15 years? Even if he got suspended, is it really the end of the world? it's just like he suffered a season ending injury in week 1. The cap went up a huge amount and the team has money.

wazu
This is making me so furious that I am going to just try to mentally block it out and pretend it isn't happening.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 08:59 PM

I don't like the idea of trading a proven commodity in the prime of his career for a roll of the dice... regardless of who's doing the drafting.

It's easy to say "we could get 6-7 starters" but the reality of the NFL draft says that is pretty unlikely.

I don't like the idea of dishing out mega bucks to a guy that screws up one more time is done for a year

Mecca

Ok then what about him getting suspended? If the Chiefs were the team trading for Allen in this situation I wouldn't want to do it.....He is far to risky for the contract he wants, it's not worth it.

wazu
Update: It isn't working.

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
This is making me so furious that I am going to just try to mentally block it out and pretend it isn't happening.

Too late I'm depressed.

Can't even get it up to jerk off.

Waiting for Whitlock's roast then going to bed.

:(

Reerun_KC
I wish everybody would just relax. It makes absolutely no difference what we do with Jerad Allen. We would still have Herm. We just have to wait until he is gone then rebuild the team. Jerad will be too old by then.

:clap:

Best Post of the Day!

DenverChief
is it really the end of the world?

you don't pay someone $50M to not play

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
His contract demands were fair market value. How many great defensive players have the Chiefs drafted the last 15 years? Even if he got suspended, is it really the end of the world? it's just like he suffered a season ending injury in week 1. The cap went up a huge amount and the team has money.

He would likely get an indef. suspension with how the league is doing things now, and it would be a giant waste of money...

I just think it's funny how much slack Allen is given considering his past actions.

jspchief
I don't like the idea of dishing out mega bucks to a guy that screws up one more time is done for a yearI don't either.

But I like it better than hoping to find a comparable talent in the crapshoot that is the draft, dishing out mega bucks to him before he ever shows what he can do in the NFL, and then praying the guy doesn't turn out to be another JA or Pacman Jones off the field.

Tribal Warfare
You what really sucks, is this waiting period of what picks KC attains besides their 1st for compensation

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:03 PM
it wouldn't even be such a big deal if he wasn't wanting a break the bank deal, Allen wants to be one of the highest paid players in the league, I don't think he should be that especially with his behaviour.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:03 PM

So we swap even up for Gowd Teef and draft a QB at 5 to throw to him and Bowe.

Ocho Cinco, Herm, and Ryan on one team? The NFL network would be all KC all the time...ROFL

The Bad Guy
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
All this trading and flipping is great, but the Chiefs don't have the rookie pool to pay all of these draft picks.

If the Chiefs are trading Jared Allen, trading out of 5 makes absolutely zero ****ing sense.

Count Zarth
it wouldn't even be such a big deal if he wasn't wanting a break the bank deal, Allen wants to be one of the highest paid players in the league, I don't think he should be that especially with his behaviour.

Jared Allen has been a model citizen over the past year and a half. He was promised a long-term deal and he deserves one.

THE CHIEFS LIED TO HIM!!!

dirk digler
I don't either.

But I like it better than hoping to find a comparable talent in the crapshoot that is the draft, dishing out mega bucks to him before he ever shows what he can do in the NFL, and then praying the guy doesn't turn out to be another JA or Pacman Jones off the field.

Yep. Some people on here are making it seem like JA robbed a bank or murdered someone.

From everything I have read it appears he has finally grown up but for what ever reason the Chiefs are telling him to **** off

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
If the Chiefs are trading Jared Allen, trading out of 5 makes absolutely zero ****ing sense.

Would drafting a franchise QB and a talented offensive lineman in the first 3 create enough fan love to offset the loss of Allen?

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
1 year doesn't make up for several years when he had everything to gain from straightening up......

I don't think Allen is worth the money he's asking for anyway then you throw that on top of it...

Ok think about this, what if he gets suspended the way the league does it now he'd likely get one like Pacman where he has to apply for reinstatement then if that goes through another ****up and he's done...

It's not worth it when you factor it all in, I know he's popular but you have to make educated decisions.

The Bad Guy
04-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Jared Allen has been a model citizen over the past year and a half. He was promised a long-term deal and he deserves one.

Give me a ****ing break.

He was a model citizen while trying to get paid. Let's see how he behaves once he has all the money.

Rausch

FTR this is all rumor at this point.

The same rumor and BB bull$#itting we heard before about LJ.

dirk digler
Would drafting a franchise QB and a talented offensive lineman in the first 3 create enough fan love to offset the loss of Allen?

Who? :D

jspchief
04-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Of course it would.

No matter what anyone says if this trade happens, if the end result is a better team, all but the most narcissistic fans will be happy.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Yep. Some people on here are making it seem like JA robbed a bank or murdered someone.

From everything I have read it appears he has finally grown up but for what ever reason the Chiefs are telling him to **** off

so you would take a chance on pacman?

The Bad Guy

I doubt it.

Allen is an icon here.

I'm not heartbroken one way or another about it.

Count Zarth
FTR this is all rumor at this point.

The same rumor and BB bull$#itting we heard before about LJ.

Jay Glazer and CARL PETERSON never got in on the LJ thing.

Mecca
Give me a ****ing break.

He was a model citizen while trying to get paid. Let's see how he behaves once he has all the money.

Ding.....that says it all, and anyone that has faith in him is just hoping.

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 09:11 PM
I understand and appeciate the reasons why to trade JA now it just pisses me off that another very good young player is getting run out of town because of CP. That infuriates me to no end.

gta0012
As per Yahoo news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-allen&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Though the franchise tag allows Allen to talk with other teams, any club attempting to sign him would have to compensate the Chiefs with two first-round draft picks.

1st round and 3rd round this year AND a 1st next year....sorta tempting considering JA is bitching about playing in KC. But i love Allen and would love to see his talent around here for a while.

J Diddy
Give me a ****ing break.

team priest rings a bell

nacho man and LJ ****ed it up for everyone

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Of course it would.

No matter what anyone says if this trade happens, if the end result is a better team, all but the most narcissistic fans will be happy.

I didn't know we had any other kind...

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
so you would take a chance on pacman?

No. IIRC didn't Pacman get busted for assault? Anyway I obviously was using hyperbole but Allen isn't some criminal monster like Pacman or Chris Henry

DenverChief
As per Yahoo news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-allen&prov=ap&type=lgns)

1st round and 3rd round this year AND a 1st next year....sorta tempting considering JA is bitching about playing in KC. But i love Allen and would love to see his talent around here for a while.

that would be different than a trade...I think

Mecca
I understand and appeciate the reasons why to trade JA now it just pisses me that another very good young player is getting run out of town because of CP. That infuriates me to no end.

Now this is what I'm talking about, you do realize that much of this is Allen's own fault right? I know people love him, he's an icon here but he's brought most of this on himself.

He has conducted himself very poorly off the field, what does he expect? When you have flags all over the place teams are generally gonna hedge about giving you huge money...

You really think model franchises like the Pats and Colts would just go right along and pay him because I'm gonna wager to say they wouldn't..this isn't just a Chiefs thing, Allen brought this on himself.

Brock
04-17-2008, 09:14 PM

2 firsts - #5 & 17
1 second - #4
2 thirds - #3 & 10
1 fourth - #6
2 fifth - #1 & 5
2 sixth - #4 & 21
2 seventh - #3 & 32

When you look at it like that, it's kind of nice. I hate to see Allen go, but he is going. It's best to get something now rather than nothing later.

Mecca
No. IIRC didn't Pacman get busted for assault? Anyway I obviously using hyperbole but Allen isn't some criminal monster like Pacman or Chris Henry

To the league he's pretty close to them....he's one more offense from being treated the same.

wazu
1 year doesn't make up for several years when he had everything to gain from straightening up......

1 year? Jared Allen has been our best player on defense for awhile now. Pretty much since he got here, actually.

Hoover
04-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I feel pretty good about Herm having all of these draft picks. The last couple of years we have added a lot of talent through the draft and some key positions. With so many picks we will have the flexibility to address a lot of areas in the first 3 rounds. Probably the OL, DL, CB, and maybe even a QB. I just hope we take a QB in the 2nd round and not the first if they go that direction.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:15 PM
1 year? Jared Allen has been our best player on defense for awhile now. Pretty much since he got here, actually.

I'm talking about the way he behaves off the field not his play.....

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Jay Glazer and CARL PETERSON never got in on the LJ thing.

Peterson most certainly did.

Count Zarth
04-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Peterson most certainly did.

He wasn't issuing press releases stating they were talking trades with anyone.

This is far, far more progressed if you ask me.

Rausch
I feel pretty good about Herm having all of these draft picks. The last couple of years we have added a lot of talent through the draft and some key positions.

Ditto.

I love the players he gets. So far I'm less than impressed with what he's done with them...

Mecca

For 2 1st round picks anybody on the team should be traded...

wazu
04-17-2008, 09:19 PM

Would you trade Jared Allen for Tamba Hali and Ryan Sims?

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:20 PM

This is far, far more progressed if you ask me.

Carl has talked $#it on every player we've tried to resign lately. Hell, he even ran his mouth to Tait before the guy played a down with us.

I'm not saying it won't happen but hearing that Peterson is plugging a player's negatives (really ****ing stupid while shopping for a trade) while negotiating a contract isn't a shocker...

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:21 PM

Stop doing that....

If you guys really really believe this team will always have bad drafts and it will always be that way here is my advice..

QUIT BEING A FAN OF THIS TEAM, no team that doesn't draft well will ever win shit. Why are you wasting your time if you feel that way?

Rausch

Hell no.

I'd trade them both back at this point for 1/2 the value of the picks we used on them...

dirk digler
Now this is what I'm talking about, you do realize that much of this is Allen's own fault right? I know people love him, he's an icon here but he's brought most of this on himself.

He has conducted himself very poorly off the field, what does he expect? When you have flags all over the place teams are generally gonna hedge about giving you huge money...

You really think model franchises like the Pats and Colts would just go right along and pay him because I'm gonna wager to say they wouldn't..this isn't just a Chiefs thing, Allen brought this on himself.

There is no question that JA should take all of the blame for his DWI's but apparently he has turned his life around and is not drinking anymore and appears to finally have grown up.

The problem I have is here you have a GM that made certain statements or promises to JA and then decided to dishonor those statements\promises.

So now we have another pissed off young player that doesn't want to be here because of the way Carl treated him.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:22 PM

Picks are CHANCES at a good/great player, not ****ing gaurantees...

Bowser
Stop doing that....

If you guys really really believe this team will always have bad drafts and it will always be that way here is my advice..

QUIT BEING A FAN OF THIS TEAM, no team that doesn't draft well will ever win shit. Why are you wasting your time if you feel that way?

It's a f*cking curse. Surely you realize that by now.

BigRock
Yeah, he did the opposite: he had the team put out a press release to deny that they were talking with other teams about trading LJ. And that was a lie, which spoke louder than this has so far.

Brock
There is no question that JA should take all of the blame for his DWI's but apparently he has turned his life around and is not drinking anymore and appears to finally have grown up.

Based on what? He hasn't had a DUI in a couple of years, so that means he's not an alcoholic anymore? He's a drunk who OWNS A BAR.

Mecca
It's 1 year, I have a hard time buying that it, I think most people could clean up in their contract year when they want 100 million dollars.....I honestly don't buy that he would stay that way after he got the money.

Thig Lyfe
http://www.geocities.com/delightfulantagonists/commodusthumbsdown.jpg

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
So now we have another pissed off young player that doesn't want to be here because of the way Carl treated him.

The guy has never had a lot of fans in the locker room...

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
If you guys really feel that way about the draft just give up, I'd like to see the Chiefs win a Superbowl not keep players that are well liked by the community when they are risk factors...

I wanna see them win something not sit around and go "oh we suck we're gonna go 8-8 draft some crappy dudes oh their trading Allen I like him and we'll get shitty guys with those pick!"

JBucc
04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
It's going to be a long 8 days. I'm already tired of talking about this.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Based on what? He hasn't had a DUI in a couple of years, so that means he's not an alcoholic anymore? He's a drunk who OWNS A BAR.

I know he's refused to include stipulations that if he ****s up the Chiefs get their money back but what does the NFL say?

Since he signed his substance abuse papers won't the league allow them to go after a good portion of that money if he does?

wazu
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Stop doing that....

I really don't care who is drafting. Even the best teams rarely find a player like Jared Allen in the first round. A lot of it is luck and unknowns until they actually take the field in an NFL game. Even a supposed genius is at best going to probably draft one solid, good starter, and one that disappoints. The odds of the sum of the two players we would draft actually being greater than the player we already have are very low.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I really don't care who is drafting. Even the best teams rarely find a player like Jared Allen in the first round. A lot of it is luck and unknowns until they actually take the field in an NFL game. Even a supposed genius is at best going to probably draft one solid, good starter, and one that disappoints. The odds of the sum of the two players we would draft actually being greater than the player we already have are very low.

By that logic teams should trade 1st round picks all the time, why doesn't it happen? Oh yea it's because what you said really isn't true...

Really from what alot of you are saying it's better to trade draft picks for proven players, sounds like a Dick Vermiel thing to say...

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
If you guys really feel that way about the draft just give up, I'd like to see the Chiefs win a Superbowl not keep players that are well liked by the community when they are risk factors...

Do you have any idea how much $#it present and former Chiefs, and many players on many NFL teams, have pulled?

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 09:29 PM

I wanna see them win something not sit around and go "oh we suck we're gonna go 8-8 draft some crappy dudes oh their trading Allen I like him and we'll get shitty guys with those pick!"

I would like the drugs you are smoking if you think Carl and Herm are going to get us to the SB.

I bet you that on draft day you will be here bitching about the shitty choices the Chiefs are making. I can't wait on Friday night when they draft Clady or that G and bypass Ellis and some other players.

I will come back and say I told you so.

Chiefaholic
04-17-2008, 09:30 PM
A 1st and 3rd isn't fair compensation in my opinion. However, if the rumor of a additional1st or 2nd next year is true, I'de make the trade.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Do you have any idea how much $#it present and former Chiefs, and many players on many NFL teams, have pulled?

Aslong as they aren't doing anything to get suspended I don't care, that's why TO doesn't bother me, he atleast never gets himself into legal problems or faces any type of year suspension...I find that ironic since people here have shit talked Owens him but give Allen the benefit of the doubt. To me there is a huge difference in running your mouth and being 1 offense from a year suspension..likely an indefiniate suspension.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Really from what alot of you are saying it's better to trade draft picks for proven players, sounds like a Dick Vermiel thing to say...

Would you trade the 5 pick for Tom Brady or Payed-A-Ton?

Exactly. No risk, studs, they'll perform.

Knock DV for taking OLD guys but all those OLD guys could play. Green, Roaf, Weigman, etc. All probowlers.

I don't care what Herm does, trade or draft, but if he gets us probowlers out of his picks I'm happy.

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 09:32 PM

Let me ask you, what have you seen from Carl/Herm that makes you think they can draft well enough to turn those picks into players that would have even close to the impact on a game that JA does? :shrug:

As for why not turn my back? I didn't in the 70's and 80's, so why should I now? At this rate, the clowns should be gone in a couple of years.

wazu
By that logic teams should trade 1st round picks all the time, why doesn't it happen?

Because very few teams have GMs stupid enough to trade their best young player for picks.

Mecca
I would like the drugs you are smoking if you think Carl and Herm are going to get us to the SB.

I bet you that on draft day you will be here bitching about the shitty choices the Chiefs are making. I can't wait on Friday night when they draft Clady or that G and bypass Ellis and some other players.

I will come back and say I told you so.

So why are we fans of this team again? I atleast support them doing the right things.....and try to think they'll do them..

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Because very few teams have GMs stupid enough to trade their best young player for picks.

:clap:

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 09:34 PM
So why are we fans of this team again? I atleast support them doing the right things.....and try to think they'll do them..

LMAO Since when? You are one of the most negative people on this board? Are you ****ing kidding me?

LMAO I think I heard it all now.

I can't for the Mecca meltdown when we pick Clady.

Brock
04-17-2008, 09:34 PM

Do you think the Patriots would have given Jared the deal he wanted?

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:35 PM
A 1st and 3rd isn't fair compensation in my opinion. However, if the rumor of a additional1st or 2nd next year is true, I'de make the trade.

This is one of example of liking the "next year" thinking.

Take the 1st and 2nd this year and a 2nd next. Start the addition of extra picks early.

Allen has the two 1st rounders level of talent but if the trade is what we're looking for Peterson should STFU about his drinking/suspension problems...

Brock
LMAO Since when? You are one of the most negative people on this board? Are you ****ing kidding me?

You can laugh all you want, this team has been doing a better job in the draft recently.

Mecca
Very Very few teams would trade you 2 1st round picks for anything, other than a top notch QB...that's the only position that is worth it.

I know the Chiefs have done many stupid things and alot of people have been on board with those things so sometimes it's hard to change. If Allen handled himself professionally like say Peyton Manning then the Chiefs likely would have paid him, problem is he doesn't...

At the same time this team should have never resigned Holmes, LJ or Gonzalez but most people were on board with those too..

dirk digler
I know I have been spending alot of time in DC lately but what have guys done with Mecca?

Will the real Mecca please stand up

Hoover
04-17-2008, 09:36 PM
We were 4-10 with Jared Allen last year.

I'd love to keep him, but I do think the extra picks is what this team needs.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM

If they do something stupid I say they do something stupid.....really with all of this thought we should just give up they'll never win we'll die first.

This team isn't wrong in this decision I don't believe, but I believe they were wrong in the LJ, Holmes and Gonzalez ones...if they screw up the draft then the whole front office will get fired.

markk
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM
we don't necessarily have to spend a high pick on a defensive end to replace him. we probably ought to and probably will. but this team is in a total multi-year rebuild. except for one of the 3 or 4 positions that are settled, take the best player on the board

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I know I have been spending alot of time in DC lately but what have guys done with Mecca?

Will the real Mecca please stand up

Rebuilding is hard, making the right decision on guys to keep and pay huge money to can be difficult....I agree with them in this position especially if they are getting all those picks.

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
You can laugh all you want, this team has been doing a better job in the draft recently.

In 2 years we have drafted 3 good players which are DBowe, Kolby Smith and Tamba. The rest pretty much suck ass.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:40 PM

:evil:

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:41 PM
In 2 years we have drafted 3 good players which are DBowe, Kolby Smith and Tamba. The rest pretty much suck ass.

You are clearly letting the final record cloud your view of individual play...

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 09:42 PM

I brought that up in roundabout fashion...I'm still waiting on an answer from the Great Contrarian, Mecca.

Let me ask you, what have you seen from Carl/Herm that makes you think they can draft well enough to turn those picks into players that would have even close to the impact on a game that JA does? :shrug:

I wonder why I don't get an answer? Seems like a pretty direct question. :hmmm:

Brock
04-17-2008, 09:44 PM

Jesus H, are you kidding? You're going to judge a draft class in a year or two?

Mecca
04-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Look I value DE as much as anyone, he just has way to many risk factors for me to believe paying him that huge jack is worth it.

I personally wouldn't pay him and it has more to do with how he handles himself than how he plays, when you pay a guy that much money he is more to your franchise than just a player and I don't think he deserves that with his behaviour.

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Why not? You've apparently decided we're drafting better after the same period of time. :shrug:

Brock
04-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Why not? You've apparently decided we're drafting better after the same period of time. :shrug:

Sure, in my opinion, but I'm comparing it to the years we had that stupid old bastard Vermeil making decisions. It wasn't worth it to have drafted Jared Allen and Larry Johnson when they completely whiffed on every single other pick. Herm's doing a much better job, IMO. We actually have rookies and second year players on the field, instead of walking around on the sidelines in street clothes.

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I brought that up in roundabout fashion...I'm still waiting on an answer from the Great Contrarian, Mecca.

:hmmm:

<table class="pt8" border="0" cellpadding="0" width="500"><tbody><tr><td colspan="4">2007 (http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftyear.htm?yr=2007&lg=NFL)</td> </tr> <tr class="stathead"> <td width="40">Rnd</td> <td width="150">Name</td> <td width="200">College</td> <td width="60">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1</td> <td>Dwayne Bowe</td> <td>Louisiana State.....Starter</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2</td> <td>McBride Turk</td> <td>Tennessee ..... Bench
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3</td> <td>Tyler Tank</td> <td>North Carolina State..Starter</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>5</td> <td>Smith Kolby</td> <td>Louisville....#1 Backup</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>5</td> <td>Medlock Justin</td> <td>UCLA.....cut</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>6</td> <td>Taylor Herb</td> <td>Texas Christian bench
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>7</td> <td>Allan Michael</td> <td>Whitworth...bench</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">2006 (http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftyear.htm?yr=2006&lg=NFL)</td> </tr> <tr class="stathead"> <td width="40">Rnd</td> <td width="150">Name</td> <td width="200">College</td> <td width="60">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1</td> <td>Tamba Hali</td> <td>Penn State...starter</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2</td> <td>Bernard Pollard</td> <td>Purdue ....starter
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3</td> <td>Brodie Croyle</td> <td>Alabama...starter</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>5</td> <td>Marcus Maxey</td> <td>Miami (FL)...cut</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>6</td> <td>Tre' Stallings</td> <td>Mississippi....bench</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>6</td> <td>Jeff Webb</td> <td>San Diego State ....bench
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>7</td> <td>Jarrad Page</td> <td>UCLA.....starter</td></tr></tbody></table>
I'd say thats pretty damned good...6 starters 2 cut 6 off the bench

Smed1065
04-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I think I would have taken the Vikings' 1st and 2nd next year instead.

It'd take a year to get there, but **** it, 4 picks in the first two rounds...

The problem I have with that is it equals a second and third this year for a premier DE.

I believe that if they get Jared this year it equals less because they will probably be drafting later in rounds next year. IMO.

I know they would be glad to give a 2nd and 3rd this year. They already have an extra third.

Carl could just be using this method to set his price since we get to match it. He knows Jared is pissed at him and will let the market set the price so he does have options at the final bell.

CP figures he will get a better deal if another team has to give up multiple picks and sign a new contract for a top DE.

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Sure, in my opinion, but I'm comparing it to the years we had that stupid old bastard Vermeil making decisions. It wasn't worth it to have drafted Jared Allen and Larry Johnson when they completely whiffed on every single other pick. Herm's doing a much better job, IMO. We actually have rookies and second year players on the field, instead of walking around on the sidelines in street clothes.

I'd say thats pretty damned good

I think that has far more to do with Vermiel being unwilling to play Rookies, than any dramatic improvement in our draft ability. JMO.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see it happening without a total overhaul. Sure, the FO might be cleaned out if we F*** up this draft. Then we don't have JA, and have wasted a crapload of picks setting us back even further.

I'd rather stick with the known superior quantity even with the risk, if at all possible. If not, get what you can, I suppose. However, I have little to no faith in Carl/Herm's ability to turn those picks into anything close to the value we are giving up. I'd love be proven wrong.

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 09:54 PM
You are clearly letting the final record cloud your view of individual play...

Nope I don't think so. The 2006 and 2007 draft class are below average.

1. Tamba Hali - solid to average player
2. Pollard - slower than dog shit
3. Croyle - who the **** knows
4. Marcus Maxey - cut twice
5. Tre Stallings - I don't think he played last year even though we had the worst O-line in the NFL. I think that speaks for itself
6. Jeff Webb - he is below average WR
7. Jarrad Page - Above Average and definitely a surprise. I should have added him to my list

1. DBowe - Awesome
2. Turk and Tank - who the **** knows so far they look like busts
3. Kolby Smith - very good RB
4. Justin Medlock - LMAO
5. Herb Taylor - ?
6. Michael Allan - I think they cut him didn't they?

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:55 PM

I wish Carl would have let him trade more. His trades were great.

It's also no secret DV gave GROB complete control over the defense. Drafting, FA's, etc. GROB ****ed our defense, not DV.

DV's mistake was picking the wrong guy to pick 31.

And the plus with Herm is that if we do pick a bust we'll know it in 2 years and not wonder after 4. Marty and DV were both horrible about playing young guys...

KCChiefsMan
04-17-2008, 09:55 PM
this is just f*cking stupid!! Even if we do draft a DE first, who knows if he will be even HALF as good as Allen and if he turns out to be a complete bust.......................F*CK!!!!

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 09:57 PM
\

No he is the reason they let Dunn go

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Nope I don't think so. The 2006 and 2007 draft class are below average.

1. Tamba Hali - solid to average player
2. Pollard - slower than dog shit
3. Croyle - who the **** knows
4. Marcus Maxey - cut twice
5. Tre Stallings - I don't think he played last year even though we had the worst O-line in the NFL. I think that speaks for itself
6. Jeff Webb - he is below average WR
7. Jarrad Page - Above Average and definitely a surprise. I should have added him to my list

1. DBowe - Awesome
2. Turk and Tank - who the **** knows so far they look like busts
3. Kolby Smith - very good RB
4. Justin Medlock - LMAO
5. Herb Taylor - ?

So we have 4 starters out of 2 drafts and one is a complete stud.

So this year we can expect to have 2 new starters and a 50% chance of one of them being a complete stud?

I'll take it. It's much better than the pre-Herm average...

Rausch
04-17-2008, 09:59 PM
No he is the reason they let Dunn go

I thought we let him go because he's been battling injuries for years, he's old, and Herm hates his temper...

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I thought we let him go because he's been battling injuries for years, he's old, and Herm hates his temper...

I'm sure that too...but I know they were praising him for his receiving skills lasat TC just needed to add some lbs and I think he did

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:03 PM
this is just f*cking stupid!! Even if we do draft a DE first, who knows if he will be even HALF as good as Allen and if he turns out to be a complete bust.......................F*CK!!!!It's been said several times, but who says we draft a DE first?

Best player we can get, at damned near any position.

DenverChief

So this year we can expect to have 2 new starters and a 50% chance of one of them being a complete stud?

4? Pollard, Page, Bowe, Croyle, Hali, Tank

dirk digler

You're joking right? The only player on that list that would start for any other team is Bowe. The rest are all bench players with any other team at best.

wazu
04-17-2008, 10:05 PM
It's been said several times, but who says we draft a DE first?

Best player we can get, at damned near any position.

And we'll be lucky if that player is HALF as good as Jared Allen.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 10:06 PM
And we'll be lucky if that player is HALF as good as Jared Allen.

Or maybe he'll be better and consistent and show up every week...there's no denying that Allen gets sacks in bunches and has entire games where he disappears.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
You're joking right? The only player on that list that would start for any other team is Bowe. The rest are all bench players with any other team at best.

This is the kind stuff people get pissed at me for.....Dirk is my twin...

Smed1065
04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
By that logic teams should trade 1st round picks all the time, why doesn't it happen? Oh yea it's because what you said really isn't true...

Sure if they are proven and starting their second contract. Not over 30 and injury plagued. DV-LOL

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:09 PM
And we'll be lucky if that player is HALF as good as Jared Allen.Luckily, if he does go... he's gonna bring more than one pick.

Look... I want to keep him too. I love the guy. I hope it works out. But if he honestly won't sign here again after all this mess, we'd better get the most we can out of him while we can.

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 10:13 PM
That's a shit deal if that's all we're getting.

I'm fine with the trade, he's not giving the team any choice (which hurts the deal...), but anything less than a 1st and a 2nd this year or a 1st and a 1st next year and we're getting boned.

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Someone has to play the part since you went soft.

BTW it is true our drafts are below average and anyone that thinks that Herm and Carl are suddenly going to figure it out I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you..for cheap.

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
That's a shit deal if that's all we're getting.

I'm fine with the trade, he's not giving the team any choice (which hurts the deal...), but anything less than a 1st and a 2nd this year or a 1st and a 1st next year and we're getting boned.I agree. A 1st and a 3rd isn't good enough. I assume that's speculation.

There's another rumor floating around (maybe earlier in this same thread) that it's a 1st and 3rd this year, and a 2nd next. That's a little more reasonable.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Someone has to play the part since you went soft.

BTW it is true our drafts are below average and anyone that thinks that Herm and Carl are suddenly going to figure it out I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you..for cheap.

That for the most part is true, I don't think Allen is worth what he wants either so it's a bad position for me to be in cause I would trade him if it was me running it.

The bright side to this is either they get it right and it looks awesome or if they **** it up everyone is fired, this is the kind of thing that would get Carl fired, it is not a safe thing to do like he had always done things in the past.

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
This is the kind stuff people get pissed at me for.....Dirk is my twin...Heh, it is. "XYZ would be a backup on any other team."

Didn't you trademark that phrase?

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I agree. A 1st and a 3rd isn't good enough. I assume that's speculation.

There's another rumor floating around (maybe earlier in this same thread) that it's a 1st and 3rd this year, and a 2nd next. That's a little more reasonable.I'm not sure how I feel about a 1st and the equivalent of 2 3rds. Quantity, in that sense, isn't quality.

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:19 PM
The bright side to this is either they get it right and it looks awesome or if they **** it up everyone is fired, this is the kind of thing that would get Carl fired, it is not a safe thing to do like he had always done things in the past.Excellent point. Either it works out (great!), or we clean house (great!).

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about a 1st and the equivalent of 2 3rds. Quantity, in that sense, isn't quality.Why two 3rds? You're assuming the Vikings will be really good and draft low, I guess?

(honest question)

ChiefaRoo
04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Look I value DE as much as anyone, he just has way to many risk factors for me to believe paying him that huge jack is worth it.

I personally wouldn't pay him and it has more to do with how he handles himself than how he plays, when you pay a guy that much money he is more to your franchise than just a player and I don't think he deserves that with his behaviour.

Yep. Like I said, he's a big dumb cowboy with a mullet and he doesn't defend against the run all that well.

Groves
04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
All I know is that next year's training camp scrimmage just got a whole lot more interesting.

dirk digler
04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
The bright side to this is either they get it right and it looks awesome or if they **** it up everyone is fired, this is the kind of thing that would get Carl fired, it is not a safe thing to do like he had always done things in the past.

Damn you have gone soft. I have to agree with you though if they nail the draft (which I am not counting on) then that is great for the team and if they fail hopefully Clark will clean house.

Of course I am anxiously waiting until Friday when they announce with the 5th pick of the draft T Ryan Clady. Let the good times roll. :)

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Why two 3rds? You're assuming the Vikings will be really good and draft low, I guess?

(honest question)2nd next year is roughly equal to a 3rd in this year's draft, in terms of value. So the scenario you mentioned (2008 1st/3rd + 2009 2nd) is the equivalent of a 1st and two 3rds in the '08 draft...

Deberg_1990
04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned yet...

But im not convinced Carl fully trusts that JA is a changed man with his drinking.

That might be one reason why hes not willing to pony up the $$

If he trades JA away and he screws up, then Carl looks like a genious of course.

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:27 PM
2nd next year is roughly equal to a 3rd in this year's draft, in terms of value. So the scenario you mentioned (2008 1st/3rd + 2009 2nd) is the equivalent of a 1st and two 3rds in the '08 draft...Hmmm... I see what you're saying, I guess. But I don't know that I agree. Yeah, it'd be nice to have that 2nd this season, but I don't see how it's any less valuable next season.

We're not gonna right the ship in one season anyway.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 10:28 PM

Having high expectations isn't the reason people get real short with you.

DeezNutz
04-17-2008, 10:29 PM
2nd next year is roughly equal to a 3rd in this year's draft, in terms of value. So the scenario you mentioned (2008 1st/3rd + 2009 2nd) is the equivalent of a 1st and two 3rds in the '08 draft...

I'm assuming you mean next year's draft isn't as deep, right? How can we know this right now?

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
2nd next year is roughly equal to a 3rd in this year's draft, in terms of value. I didn't want to be blunt, but I guess what I'm saying is... "Says who?"

Mecca
04-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Say they get a 1 and a 3 this year.....

The Chiefs could conceivably get...

Matt Ryan
Chris Williams
Quentin Groves
Chilo Rachal
and a CB like Terrell Thomas, so what's the problem?

Mecca
04-17-2008, 10:33 PM
I didn't want to be blunt, but I guess what I'm saying is... "Says who?"

That's how draft chart point values play that a pick in next years draft is equal to a round lower in the current year, a next years 1st is worth a this years 2nd and so forth.

keg in kc
I didn't want to be blunt, but I guess what I'm saying is... "Says who?"My understanding is that that's the way teams themselves view future picks when these trades are negotiated. Future picks are, for whatever reason, less valuable a commodity than current ones.

Rausch
Luckily, if he does go... he's gonna bring more than one pick.

Look... I want to keep him too. I love the guy. I hope it works out. But if he honestly won't sign here again after all this mess, we'd better get the most we can out of him while we can.

That's where I'm at.

JA is my kind of player. He's got a 60's mindset in a new century NFL.

His mistake was going with the substance abuse program. It HURTS a player, it really doesn't help. Instead of the team taking a man's promise to change it places him in a situation where one mistake changes his career. Meanwhile, Pack(ing heat)man Jones will get 40 chances to come back.

And it's not a race issue, it's understanding the rules and following good advice...

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
so what's the problem?Everybody's sad about losing their redneck drinkin' buddy?

Mecca
04-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Everybody's sad about losing their redneck drinkin' buddy?

I do think that plays in, odd as it sounds.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
My understanding is that that's the way teams themselves view future picks when these trades are negotiated. Future picks are, for whatever reason, less valuable a commodity than current ones.

A flawed concept. This is based on the unpredictability of the pick in a given round next year.

The fact is we'd gain an extra 2nd next year before the draft this year. How is that not a plus?

Not that I agree with trading a proven player for a chance at a player...

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
My understanding is that that's the way teams themselves view future picks when these trades are negotiated. Future picks are, for whatever reason, less valuable a commodity than current ones.Hmmm, well I learned something new there, I guess. If it were me though, I think I'd consider that 2nd a 2nd. We're obviously not gonna fix everything in this draft alone, and the Chiefs have to know that.

Deberg_1990
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
I do think that plays in, odd as it sounds.

I agree. The Camerohead faithful certainly indentify with him to come extent. I almost hate to say it, but if he was black or Hispanic, it would be a totally different reaction from the fanbase. Did i just give Whitlock his next column??

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
A flawed concept. This is based on the unpredictability of the pick in a given round next year.

The fact is we'd gain an extra 2nd next year before the draft this year. How is that not a plus?

Not that I agree with trading a proven player for a chance at a player...Tell the NFL that. It's not a philosophy I came up with...

Rausch
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Everybody's sad about losing their redneck drinkin' buddy?

In short - yeah.

For the most part I can relate to the guy. Shocker as that might be...:spock:

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I do think that plays in, odd as it sounds.The guy's likable. He's a character... as well as a hell of a football player.

He's the Pro Bowl version of Boomer.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Tell the NFL that. It's not a philosophy I came up with...

Understood.

Also keep in mind this isn't the same rulebook the men in charge of our beloved teams follow simply because it's the best we have to work on...

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:44 PM
In short - yeah.

For the most part I can relate to the guy. Shocker as that might be...:spock:Yep. I love the guy as much as anyone. I don't wanna see him go. That said, I can see why it might happen.

I just don't think it'd be the epic blunder most people seem to think it would.

BIG K
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Yep. I love the guy as much as anyone. I don't wanna see him go. That said, I can see why it might happen.

I don't think it'd be the epic blunder most people seem to think it would.

I think it is a viable descision...No, the blunder will come April 26, 27 when the Chiefs waste the two picks on worthless players...:cuss:

Honestly, I see this more of a cost saving move than anything else...

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I do think that plays in, odd as it sounds.I don't think that's odd at all. I posted about this last year when half the people were saying "give him a contract" when he was suspended (which was and still is mind-boggling to me). I think "racism" is too strong a word, but he's a dude that a pretty big chunk of the Chiefs fanbase asssociates with. He's somebody they'd want to hang out with, and that's, in my humble opinion, as much or more of a reason why he's popular as his sacks are, and it goes all the way back to his rookie year when he's gyrating after his first preseason sack.

Consider Tamba Hali. First two seasons. 15.5 sacks, 8 FF. So his numbers aren't very far behind Allen's, and he played hurt almost all of '07. But he's an afterthought, I'm not sure I've even heard his name mentioned today, since the Allen story broke. It's like he doesn't exist. He's just not as popular, and I think that's because he's not the character that Allen is. Hell, it wouldn't shock me at all to see him come out and get 15 sacks next year. I don't expect it (I don't expect anything, generally) but it wouldn't shock me. But I don't think he'll ever have the kind of following JA does, regardless of what he does.

Rausch
04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
The guy's likable. He's a character... as well as a hell of a football player.

He's the Pro Bowl version of Boomer.

"Egg-zaclty what I thought! Gimme' huggs brown-bear!"

http://www.tvfodder.com/archives/scrubs-JD.jpg

Mecca
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Well oddly I told one of my best friends that Allen gets a free pass I don't think alot of players would get. I don't think it's "racism" but a good majority of fans are white people and relate better to a white player, like I think if a black player was the same player and had done the same things Allen has he wouldn't get as much slack..

noa
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Has JA said anything about possibly signing a contract with protection for the team that signs him in case he screws up and gets suspended for an entire season?

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
"Egg-zaclty what I thought! Gimme' huggs brown-bear!"

http://www.tvfodder.com/archives/scrubs-JD.jpgLMAO

Rep.

Scrubs FTW.

noa
Well oddly I told one of my best friends that Allen gets a free pass I don't think alot of players would get. I don't think it's "racism" but a good majority of fans are white people and relate better to a white player, like I think if a black player was the same player and had done the same things Allen has he wouldn't get as much slack..

I don't think we cut him slack because of our demographics. I think we cut him slack because he led the league in sacks after sitting out two games...

Deberg_1990

Look at how the Chiefs fanbase treats LJ.

Mecca
Has JA said anything about possibly signing a contract with protection for the team that signs him in case he screws up and gets suspended for an entire season?

Here in lies the problem the players union would never allow it to go through...

keg in kc
04-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I just don't think it'd be the epic blunder most people seem to think it would.It's the only alternative they have. The blunder, if they were going to make one, would be not trading him for maximum value right f*cking now. What else are they going to do, tag him annually and hope he decides eventually to re-sign? Trade him now, and you get the most you'll probably ever get, you don't have to worry about what kind of season he'll have in '08 and what his value will be if you have to trade him next year, you don't have to worry about injuries, you don't have to worry about suspensions.

The guy apparently doesn't want to play here. So you cut your losses and try to take another team to the cleaners in the process. There's not really another option here, not that I see...

Maybe it's all smoke, and negotiating through the press, and he'll sign in the next two weeks, but it just doesn't read like that. Yesterday was the kind of story you usually see before a trade is consummated...

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Look at how the Chiefs fanbase treats LJ.Yeah, you've got a point there.

It wouldn't hurt LJ to stop acting like a grumpy asshole and/or a spoiled child all the time though.

I say that as one of the last LJ fans still out there.

Deberg_1990
04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah, you've got a point there.

It wouldn't hurt LJ to stop acting like a grumpy asshole and/or a spoiled child all the time though.

Im still a HUGE fan of his. I think he will bounce back.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, you've got a point there.

At the same time that can be said look he may act like an ass but that doesn't get you 1 strike from a lengthy suspension. People know my view guys like TO don't bother me Allen does things that cause suspensions that bothers me.

KcMizzou
04-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Im still a HUGE fan of his. I think he will bounce back.
Man, I hope so. I wanna see him come roaring back.

Deberg_1990
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
People know my view guys like TO don't bother me Allen does things that cause suspensions that bothers me.

Exactly!

Rausch
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM

I don't think Allen has gotten any pass and I don't think it has anything to do with race.

Allen was a party animal. He made bad choices and is, in short, a big kid. I love that about him. It's why I relate to him. I wear hawaiian shirts and dream of the day I don't have to shave to keep a job. That's just me.

He got that dream and took 2 big steps over the line.

Now, if he'd have just been there when someone got killed *cough* Ray Lewis *cough* it'd be cool. In the end the guy took a route that made him look good for the moment and bad in the long term. It really didn't help him avoid anything and it's costing him now in a contract/trade year...

noa
04-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Here in lies the problem the players union would never allow it to go through...

That really changes things from my POV. If there's nothing we can do as an organization to protect our investment, then that's just ridiculous. I'm more open to trading him. If we were able to insert a clause that a suspension results in a forfeit of X amount of dollars, or some other compensation, then I would prefer that over a trade. We really should be able to do that considering how much money we'd be spending and that the entire situation boils down to his self-control, not to anything within our power.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
That really changes things from my POV. If there's nothing we can do as an organization to protect our investment, then that's just ridiculous. I'm more open to trading him. If we were able to insert a clause that a suspension results in a forfeit of X amount of dollars, or some other compensation, then I would prefer that over a trade. We really should be able to do that considering how much money we'd be spending and that the entire situation boils down to his self-control, not to anything within our power.

The Falcons couldn't even get money back from Vick, there really is no protection you pay it, it's gone.