PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ESPN top 50 worst draft picks

DenverChief
04-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Just thought these were amusing

29. QB Todd Blackledge (Penn State)

Drafted by: Chiefs, first round, No. 7 overall,1983

The biggest disappointment of the fabled quarterback class of 1983, Blackledge led the Nittany Lions to a national title in 1982. But he never started a full season with the Chiefs, was dealt to the Steelers in 1988 (where his father was a longtime assistant) and unspectacularly finished his career the following season.

35. QB Mike Elkins (Wake Forest)

Drafted by: Chiefs, second round, No. 32 overall, 1989

In Marty Schottenheimer's first year with the Chiefs, he selected Elkins in hopes of him becoming their future franchise quarterback. Elkins played in one game and attempted two passes as a rookie. He never appeared in a game again.

39. T Trezelle Jenkins (Michigan)

Drafted by: Chiefs, first round, No. 31 overall, 1995

Jenkins lasted just three years in the league, playing in only nine games and making just one start. After failing in the NFL, he tried out for the short-lived XFL, but couldn't make a roster there, either.

Other notables

1. QB Ryan Leaf (Washington State)

Drafted by: Chargers, first round, No. 2 overall, 1998

The Chargers gave up plenty to move up one spot to select Leaf, who many felt was a better prospect than Tennessee QB Peyton Manning. With a lifetime 4-17 record as a starter with the Chargers (4-14) and Cowboys (0-3), Leaf threw 14 TD passes and 36 interceptions and was sacked 65 times in 25 games in four NFL seasons. Meanwhile, Manning reportedly is doing well with the Colts.

2. RB Lawrence Phillips (Nebraska)

Drafted by: Rams, first round, No. 6 overall, 1996

The former Cornhusker was extremely talented but was a controversial choice to begin with. He would flash his promise on occasion but simply couldn't run over trouble like he could potential tacklers.

22. RB Blair Thomas (Penn State)

Drafted by: Jets, first round, No. 2 overall, 1990

The former Nittany Lion lasted four seasons with the Jets and never reached 1,000 yards rushing. After being let go by New York in 1993, Thomas made brief appearances with the Patriots, Cowboys and Panthers. He rushed for 2,236 yards and seven touchdowns in his disappointing career.

23. QB Kelly Stouffer (Colorado State)

Drafted by: Cardinals, first round, No. 6 overall, 1987

After he was drafted by the Cardinals, Stouffer and the team could not agree on a contract and he held out the entire season. In 1988, the Cardinals traded his rights to the Seahawks, where Stouffer started 16 games over four years before being let go in 1992. He briefly reappeared with the Carolina Panthers in 1996 but never played in a game.

Valiant
04-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry anybody outside of the top 20 imo really cannot be a bust.. Especially if they were reached on..

Deberg_1990
04-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Just thought these were amusing

29. QB Todd Blackledge (Penn State)

Drafted by: Chiefs, first round, No. 7 overall,1983

The biggest disappointment of the fabled quarterback class of 1983, Blackledge led the Nittany Lions to a national title in 1982. But he never started a full season with the Chiefs, was dealt to the Steelers in 1988 (where his father was a longtime assistant) and unspectacularly finished his career the following season.

35. QB Mike Elkins (Wake Forest)

Drafted by: Chiefs, second round, No. 32 overall, 1989

In Marty Schottenheimer's first year with the Chiefs, he selected Elkins in hopes of him becoming their future franchise quarterback. Elkins played in one game and attempted two passes as a rookie. He never appeared in a game again.

39. T Trezelle Jenkins (Michigan)

Drafted by: Chiefs, first round, No. 31 overall, 1995

Jenkins lasted just three years in the league, playing in only nine games and making just one start. After failing in the NFL, he tried out for the short-lived XFL, but couldn't make a roster there, either.

Good God, how bad do you have to be for a former #1 NFL pick and not even be able to make an XFL roster???? HAHAHA

Why was Elkins drafted so high??? Was he pretty highly touted coming out of college??

Those were the days before the NFL draft was big..

Frazod
04-17-2008, 11:39 PM
How the f#ck does that useless prick Sims not make this list?

noa
04-17-2008, 11:42 PM
How do they not put Ryan Sims on that list? Trezelle Jenkins was really bad, but he wasn't the #6 pick of the draft.

Edit: Frazod beat me to it

Deberg_1990
04-17-2008, 11:43 PM
How do they not put Ryan Sims on that list? Trezelle Jenkins was really bad, but he wasn't the #6 pick of the draft.

As bas as Sims was, he wasnt as bad as Jenkins.

Sims at least started games.

POND_OF_RED
04-17-2008, 11:44 PM
How the f#ck does that useless prick Sims not make this list?

I assume it's because he's still in the league. Who knows maybe he'll slim down and turn his career around....ROFLROFLROFL

Otter
04-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Wow, I don't even remeber Elkins.

Pat Barnes was the last QB pick before Brodie that I remember.

BIG K
04-17-2008, 11:45 PM

I am guessing because sims actually started some games?

Deberg_1990
04-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Wow, I don't even remeber Elkins.

Pat Barnes was the last QB pick before Brodie that I remember.

You dont remember Matt Blundin?? He was a 2nd rounder in 92

Adept Havelock
04-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Good God, how bad do you have to be for a former #1 NFL pick and not even be able to make an XFL roster???? HAHAHA

IIRC, that pick was one reason Art Shell found it so hard to find work again. I'm pretty sure he stumped like crazy for the guy, insisting he could turn him into a beast.

thurman merman
04-17-2008, 11:53 PM
As bas as Sims was, he wasnt as bad as Jenkins.

Sims at least started games.

i could have started games on that defense.

Otter
04-17-2008, 11:54 PM
You dont remember Matt Blundin?? He was a 2nd rounder in 92

What are repressed bad memories for $1000 Alex. :D

Thank God for hockey.

noa
04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
I am guessing because sims actually started some games?

Even so, Sims seems like the bigger bust to me. The expectations for the #6 guy are way higher.

Rooster
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
What are repressed bad memories for $1000 Alex. :D

ROFLROFL It is all so sad.

StcChief
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Sims falls into $$$ ripoff contract territory
and why we had to keep him so long to continue to suck yearly. To avoid major cap hit.

Bowser
04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Ryan Sims has more career interceptions than William Bartee.

Deberg_1990
04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Sims falls into $$$ ripoff contract territory
and why we had to keep him so long to continue to suck yearly. To avoid major cap hit.

Thats why a top 10 picks always gets at least 4 years to prove himself.

People who think that if we draft Ryan and then he wont get at least the same are delusional. Too much money invested to not play him and try and develop.

A guy like Croyle doesnt have nearly has much $$$ invested in him.

StcChief
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Thats why a top 10 picks always gets at least 4 years to prove himself.

People who think that if we draft Ryan and then he wont get at least the same are delusional. Too much money invested to not play him and try and develop.

A guy like Croyle doesnt have nearly has much $$$ invested in him.

maybe that's what driving them to "believe in Brodie" since not much to lose but a few games on a rebuilding team. If he comes around during this process so be it.....if not we will be looking for "the next Matt Ryan"

PhillyChiefFan
04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I'd throw Ki-Jana Carter from Penn State in there too.

milkman
04-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Ryan Sims has more career interceptions than William Bartee.

So, you're saying that Sims should have been a corner?

thurman merman
04-19-2008, 12:22 PM
So, you're saying that Sims should have been a corner?

ROFL

KcMizzou
04-19-2008, 12:39 PM
1. QB Ryan Leaf (Washington State)

Drafted by: Chargers, first round, No. 2 overall, 1998

The Chargers gave up plenty to move up one spot to select Leaf, who many felt was a better prospect than Tennessee QB Peyton Manning. With a lifetime 4-17 record as a starter with the Chargers (4-14) and Cowboys (0-3), Leaf threw 14 TD passes and 36 interceptions and was sacked 65 times in 25 games in four NFL seasons. Meanwhile, Manning reportedly is doing well with the Colts.
LMAO Ya think?

alanm
04-19-2008, 12:55 PM

The former Cornhusker was extremely talented but was a controversial choice to begin with. He would flash his promise on occasion but simply couldn't run over trouble like he could potential tacklers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy could have been the best there ever was. He was that good.
Alcohol and women and anger management were his downfall. He couldn't stay out of bars and he couldn't keep his hands off of women.
People tried with the clown but it never took.
He could of been the best. :shake:

Deberg_1990
04-19-2008, 01:00 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy could have been the best there ever was. He was that good.
Alcohol and women and anger management were his downfall. He couldn't stay out of bars and he couldn't keep his hands off of women.
People tried with the clown but it never took.
He could of been the best. :shake:

I remember one of Vermiel's first duties as head coach of the Rams was to go get Phillips out of jail in Nebraska. I knew if DV couldnt get that kid turned around, nobody could. Pretty sad...

alanm
04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I remember one of Vermiel's first duties as head coach of the Rams was to go get Phillips out of jail in Nebraska. I knew if DV couldnt get that kid turned around, nobody could. Pretty sad...
I'm thinking he would of been better off under someone like Marty or Cowher or Parcells.
Someone who would of rode herd on him. Osborne and Vermeil are too much alike. He needed a tough approach like he had under Mike Corigan his RB coach at Nebraska who retired just before his junior season at Nebraska. His junior season was where he started getting into all kinds of trouble. Course it didn't help that Scott Frost was f*cking his GF.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Course it didn't help that Scott Frost was f*cking his GF.

Really? That's f*cking hilarious.

nychief
04-19-2008, 01:24 PM
What about Matt Blundin?

http://tinyurl.com/46qo6u

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Following a very restful and injury-free (not to mention playing time free) 5 year career in professional football with the Kansas City Chiefs and Detroit Lions

ROFL

nychief
04-19-2008, 01:28 PM
found this about Elkins...

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1068341/index.htm

Deberg_1990
04-19-2008, 01:31 PM
found this about Elkins...

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1068341/index.htm

Thanks! I cant believe we drafted an option QB?? haha

Im not even sure he ever started one game?? Maybe in 89??

nychief
04-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks! I cant believe we drafted an option QB?? haha

Im not even sure he ever started one game?? Maybe in 89??

TWO CAREER PASSES....one for an INT. Makes Jr. Savi look good.