PDA

View Full Version : I could be wrong, but I think we just had an earthquake

OnTheWarpath58
04-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Just got out of the shower about 10 minutes ago, was going downstairs to get clothes, and the house started shaking. Slowly at first, then it sounded like hail the size of basketballs were hitting the roof.

Then, about 10 seconds after it started, it quit.

Unreal.

My In-laws, who live 6 doors down felt it as well and called, so I know I'm not still dreaming.....

DenverChief
04-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Did you check for basketballs on the lawn?

J/K glad you are ok

OnTheWarpath58
04-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Nope, it was an earthquake.

Just came on TV and said it was centered about 125 miles east of STL.

I thought he said 5.4 in magnitude.

DenverChief
04-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Nope, it was an earthquake.

Just came on TV and said it was centered about 125 miles east of STL.

I thought he said 5.4 in magnitude.

in Kentucky?

OnTheWarpath58
04-18-2008, 04:13 AM
in Kentucky?

Near the Indiana-Illinois border.

News said it was centered 40 miles NW of Evansville, IN.

Guru
04-18-2008, 04:25 AM
WOW!!! Wonder when KS will get theirs. We have a fault line here that nobody knew about until after the San Fran quake.

Guru
04-18-2008, 04:27 AM
http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=144471

Guru
04-18-2008, 04:30 AM
http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=144471

KCTV5 is reporting the quake was felt in KC as well. REports of books falling and such.

chiefqueen
04-18-2008, 04:39 AM
Slept right through it, in fact only half awake now.

Hog Rider
04-18-2008, 04:41 AM
I didn't feel it as I was getting ready to leave for work, but a coworker said his wife called and said she and the kids were awakened by it. Scared them pretty good - lasted about eight seconds. They live down near Canton, Il (Boomertown). I'm north of Peoria.

Fairplay
04-18-2008, 04:42 AM
And i thought it was just me. I woke up earlier, had a cup of coffee, then all of a sudden the house was shaking around for about 20 seconds. Then stopped.

I thought it was real windy outside or something.

Checked outside and it was calm.

I thought i was losing it.

Fairplay
04-18-2008, 04:44 AM
I looked when He broke the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became like blood. :eek:

HypnotizedMonkey
04-18-2008, 04:44 AM
don't worry, it's just everyone's collective anger coming to a boil over Carl shopping Jared Allen around.

Guru
04-18-2008, 04:56 AM
I looked when He broke the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became like blood. :eek:

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

http://www.kirstenp.claranet.de/moviefaces/actor/r/kru_tombstone03.jpg

DenverChief
04-18-2008, 05:13 AM
actually it might have been all the people who passed out after watchin the Rox Pads 22 inning affair

Joe_Camel
04-18-2008, 05:21 AM
I felt it in Kentucky

HypnotizedMonkey
04-18-2008, 05:22 AM

*LSD in Water Supplies Terrify Middle America*

ChiefsFan4Life
04-18-2008, 05:23 AM
I woke up at 4:30 AM to the house shaking and my lamp shaking on the nightstand next to me

That was in House Springs, MO - close to IL

It lasted about 10 - 15 seconds at our house

headsnap
04-18-2008, 06:21 AM
got a pretty good shake in Louisville....

ROYC75
04-18-2008, 06:31 AM
I slept right thru it, III woke up and came in asking if we felt it. I said what, he said he thinks we just had an earthquake. We were 135 miles from it here in Greenville, Ky.

Chiefs_Fan
04-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Felt it in Wentzville. Had dresser doors banging. My daughters bird was going crazy and she was flipping out.

HonestChieffan
04-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Have the people started looting yet? Fema on site? Where do we get the cash cards?

angelo
04-18-2008, 07:12 AM
I felt it in Kansas City.

I woke the wife and said that we were having a small earthquake. She said I was full of SH*T and to quit farting in bed.

She later apologized after watching the news.

I later farted on her while she was in the shower.

Bwana
04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Perhaps Jason Whitlock was walking by your house?Fatlock

journeyscarab
04-18-2008, 07:43 AM
I felt it in Kansas City.

I woke the wife and said that we were having a small earthquake. She said I was full of SH*T and to quit farting in bed.

She later apologized after watching the news.

I later farted on her while she was in the shower.

ROFL:LOL:

Demonpenz
04-18-2008, 08:04 AM
earthquakes are overated. Didn't even feel them in olathe

StcChief
04-18-2008, 08:04 AM
I slept right thru it, (alergy med?) Dog didn't bark or anything. outside Wentzville MO.

sd4chiefs
04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I have been living in San Diego for 12 years now and there has only been one earthquake like that and I was out of town. :banghead:

The Rick
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Felt it way up here in Milwaukee. I had thought I heard some rattling downstairs, but wasn't sure what it was until I saw the news.

My 3-month-old woke up around that time (he never wakes up at that time), so I'm wondering if it was enough to wake him up...

keg in kc
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Just what the midwest needs, the New Madrid waking up.

ChiefsFan4Life
04-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Just what the midwest needs, the New Madrid waking up.

They said it wasn't the new madrid fault

ChiefsFan4Life
04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Wow! Just got an aftershock

stlchiefs
04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Yep aftershocks here in STL

keg in kc
04-18-2008, 09:23 AM
They said it wasn't the new madrid faultI'm just going on what was in an article linked earlier in the thread:The quake occurred at 4:37 a.m. on Friday and is believed to have involved the Wabash fault, a northern extensiont of the New Madrid fault.

ChiefsFan4Life
04-18-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm just going on what was in an article linked earlier in the thread:

Hmm, you could be right, who knows. On the radio they said it wasn't but who knows

Skip Towne
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Maybe we'll get lucky and Missouri will cave in.

BigRedChief
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
I just felt a 5-10 second aftershock here in St. Louis.

keg in kc
04-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Hmm, you could be right, who knows. On the radio they said it wasn't but who knowsPretty much all ll I know about earthquakes is that the ground can shake, so I won't even pretend to be any kind of authority...

Bowser
04-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Obviously, Phil had cabbage soup last night.

journeyscarab
04-18-2008, 09:28 AM
I wonder if I just felt an aftershock in Overland Park. My desk vibrated and the water in my glass moved a bit...weird.

StcChief
04-18-2008, 09:29 AM
I just felt a 5-10 second aftershock here in St. Louis.
at Boeing? Hazelwood. Nothing out here in the Big O'Fallon at MC.

journeyscarab
04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
USGS reporting a 4.5 aftershock @ 10:14am.

stlchiefs
04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
For anyone who cares, here's my story from St. Louis (city).

I went to bed around 3:00 am, woke up around 4:30 to some shaking. Groggy I thought my Chocolate lab that sleeps next to my bed was somehow shaking it through sleep tremors or by wagging her tail. I woke the dog up, but the shaking continued. Coming to a bit more I heard the walls and windows creaking and realized we had some crazy wind outside (wrong). I hoped up and looked out the window to see nothing happening, but everything still shaking even more inside my place. So my thought of having to head to the basement was now gone. I was definitely a little spooked.

I went over and turned on the TV in the living room to check about any news reports. I flipped through the locals for around 10 minutes with nothing happening and decided to go back to bed, resolved not to mention my bizarre dream/incident to anyone lest they think I was a quack. Thankfully my fiancee called around 5:00 asking me if I felt the EARTHQUAKE. I was relived that someone else had felt the same thing and I now had an explanation for my nighttime event. She lives out in Chesterfield (west of the city) and had a glass of water knocked off the nightstand and her open window slammed shut.

Anyone, that was my interesting 1st experience with an earthquake. I'll admit it spooked me a bit more than I thought one would, especially coming in the middle of the night and not knowing wtf was going on. I live on the top floor of a 100 year old two story apartment in the city so even the recent aftershock had my building and its contents swaying a bit.

stlchiefs
04-18-2008, 09:41 AM
For anyone who cares, here's my story from St. Louis (city).

I went to bed around 3:00 am, woke up around 4:30 to some shaking. Groggy I thought my Chocolate lab that sleeps next to my bed was somehow shaking it through sleep tremors or by wagging her tail. I woke the dog up, but the shaking continued. Coming to a bit more I heard the walls and windows creaking and realized we had some crazy wind outside (wrong). I hoped up and looked out the window to see nothing happening, but everything still shaking even more inside my place. So my thought of having to head to the basement was now gone. I was definitely a little spooked.

I went over and turned on the TV in the living room to check about any news reports. I flipped through the locals for around 10 minutes with nothing happening and decided to go back to bed, resolved not to mention my bizarre dream/incident to anyone lest they think I was a quack. Thankfully my fiancee called around 5:00 asking me if I felt the EARTHQUAKE. I was relived that someone else had felt the same thing and I now had an explanation for my nighttime event. She lives out in Chesterfield (west of the city) and had a glass of water knocked off the nightstand and her open window slammed shut.

Anyway, that was my interesting 1st experience with an earthquake. I'll admit it spooked me a bit more than I thought one would, especially coming in the middle of the night and not knowing wtf was going on. I live on the top floor of a 100 year old two story apartment in the city so even the recent aftershock had my building and its contents swaying a bit.

BigRedChief
04-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Anyone, that was my interesting 1st experience with an earthquake. I'll admit it spooked me a bit more than I thought one would, especially coming in the middle of the night and not knowing wtf was going on. I live on the top floor of a 100 year old two story apartment in the city so even the recent aftershock had my building and its contents swaying a bit.
I was in a 7.9 earthquake in Israel. I was outside at the time. Scared me chitless too. It was really weird not having a place to stand. You are so use to having solid ground beneath you. Very unnerving.

Mr. Plow
04-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Sorry everyone. I tripped over a salami roll.

StcChief
04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
This is similar (though I slept thru it) to the one I felt as a kid..... same fault different source.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/events/1968_11_09.php

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 09:55 AM
anyone remember this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iben_Browning

Bowser
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM

No, but he sounds like an interesting guy. Might have to get his book.

stlchiefs
04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I was in a 7.9 earthquake in Israel. I was outside at the time. Scared me chitless too. It was really weird not having a place to stand. You are so use to having solid ground beneath you. Very unnerving.

I agree. I'm from Kansas, so wind/tornadoes are normal. I was prepared to head to the basement if need be, but to just sit there and have everything shaking is a bit different. 7.9 in the city you're in would be intense. :eek:

stlchiefs
04-18-2008, 10:07 AM

Here's some info on the culprit:

The quake was the result of the moving apart of two tectonic plates along the New Madrid fault, well-known to St. Louis area residents. But instead of being along the main fault line, primarily along the Mississippi River, it originated from a spur known as the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone. The epicenter was in Bellmont, 127 miles east of St. Louis.

The New Madrid Fault is a weak spot in the center of the country caused by the stretching millions of years ago of the earth's surface, the North American Plate, along the fault lines in California and on the mid-Atlantic ridge, Kusky said.

"A 5.2 earthquake is pretty high for here but not very high for around the world," Kusky said. "It takes a little bit more to cause major damage."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/nation/story/85FD230AAFCED4D08625742F003769F5?OpenDocument

StcChief
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM

yeah.. I did the strap the water heater to a 6x6 beam I installed next to water heater in basement. total cost $10.

Uncle_Ted
04-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Slept through it this morning, but felt the aftershock here (Chicago) about quarter after 10:00 ... wasn't scary, more like WTF???

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
yeah.. I did the strap the water heater to a 6x6 beam I installed next to water heater in basement. total cost $10.
we had a earthquake disaster type day at school, all i remember was stay away from powerlines....:spock:

tk13
04-18-2008, 10:47 AM
It woke me up. I actually thought "was that an earthquake?" And it stopped, I was disoriented, so I went back to bed. I live probably within 100 miles from the epicenter, so things shook pretty significantly. Hope that's the last one of those we see for a while.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
back in the day when the willard quarry would blast sometimes theyd get nuts with the charges and my windows would rattle. now then the UPS plain lands at the airport on warm summer evenings it makes the house shake. which i great fun if its someone whos high strung and never been out there before.

bogey
04-18-2008, 11:20 AM
How can you people live in an area like that? Jeesh, tornado's, thunderstorms, floods, earthquakes. If I were you I'd head west. :)

stlchiefs
04-18-2008, 11:22 AM
How can you people live in an area like that? Jeesh, tornado's, thunderstorms, floods, earthquakes. If I were you I'd head west. :)

They are our natural protection from the California Crazies. :D

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 11:41 AM

so we could get shot,muged and raped?
no thanks.

Bowser
04-18-2008, 11:42 AM
no thanks.

Heh. Looks like MO watches Gangland on the History Channel.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Heh. Looks like MO watches Gangland on the History Channel.

dont have cable. wont have a tv after the switch to digital.

sd4chiefs
04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
no thanks.

We just make up those crime storys to keep the Midwest crazys from coming here.

bogey
04-18-2008, 11:54 AM
no thanks.

Do you really think you'd get raped?

sparkky
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
after all the eq crap that has been posted over the years Kal. now gets to watch the midwest slip into the gulf.
THERE IS NO GOD!!!

StcChief
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM

we sent the crazy's to you.... much like Jimmy Carter allowing Castro to empty his prison's into FLA.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 12:34 PM

i dont buy it the lady that bought my grandparents place next to mine is from cali and shes nutty as a fruitcake.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Do you really think you'd get raped?

who knows what kinda crazy shit they do to mid westerners on the west coast.

StcChief
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
i dont buy it the lady that bought my grandparents place next to mine is from cali and shes nutty as a fruitcake.
It's in the water, air, sunshine and the driving....

the folks from CA seem to be a "little different" (and not in a good way)

bogey
04-18-2008, 12:43 PM
who knows what kinda crazy shit they do to mid westerners on the west coast.

:)

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 12:43 PM

shes beyond alittle diffrent, more like a spider who spins a crazy conversation web.

bogey
04-18-2008, 12:45 PM

CA different? Have you been to Branson? :)

StcChief
04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
CA different? Have you been to Branson? :)
try and stay away from tourist traps. they attract the wrong element.

bogey
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
try and stay away from tourist traps. they attract the wrong element.

I lived in Branson for 15 years or so and moved from there to CA. If you look up "little different" in the dictionary, it says "see bogey".

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I lived in Branson for 15 years or so and moved from there to CA. If you look up "little different" in the dictionary, it says "see bogey".
you know DA?

StcChief
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I lived in Branson for 15 years or so and moved from there to CA. If you look up "little different" in the dictionary, it says "see bogey".:hmmm::) lmao

bogey
04-18-2008, 01:32 PM
you know DA?

I do.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I do.

didi you used to spell your name diffrently?

bogey
04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
didi you used to spell your name diffrently?

Yep. It's me. You're Richard's nephew, yes?

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Yep. It's me. You're Richard's nephew, yes?
you seen the river rats myspace?
http://www.myspace.com/dixielandriverrats

i had a story that was related to me awhile back that DA went on the bigmans (CDC) boat and proceded to get shit faced and put someones phone in a blender.
ROFL

bogey
04-18-2008, 02:03 PM
you seen the river rats myspace?
http://www.myspace.com/dixielandriverrats

i had a story that was related to me awhile back that DA went on the bigmans (CDC) boat and proceded to get shit faced and put someones phone in a blender.
ROFL

DA is a hoot! One of my all time favorite people. Are you old enough to remember the May baby's parties, blue show, JR jam, etc.? I have never partied like we used to party in Branson. Some of the best jam sessions you ever heard in your life. Being a part of the SDC entertainment department in the late 70's and throughout the 80's was an experience I will never forget. It was perfect.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2008, 02:05 PM
DA is a hoot! One of my all time favorite people. Are you old enough to remember the May baby's parties, blue show, JR jam, etc.? I have never partied like we used to party in Branson. Some of the best jam sessions you ever heard in your life. Being a part of the SDC entertainment department in the late 70's and throughout the 80's was an experience I will never forget. It was perfect.

No 20 years before my time, but ive heard the war stories, like how they cut the top off a caddy to have a convertable.

bogey
04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Has DA told you about his 1 man show with the trained pig? I think it was his 1st show at SDC.

bowener
04-18-2008, 03:35 PM
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

http://www.kirstenp.claranet.de/moviefaces/actor/r/kru_tombstone03.jpg

love that ****in movie! every word that comes out of val kilmers mouth in that movie is great...

Doc Holliday: Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nightwish
05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
There was another earthquake yesterday. According to seismologists at SLU, the epicenter was right here in the St. Louis metro, in the township of Valley Park, to be precise. It was a small one, so I slept through it (the "big" one back in April woke me up), but I guess it shook some houses and rattled some windows in the southern part of the St. Louis metro. According to the SLU scientists, this was definitely not an aftershock, but a whole new quake from a fault that is not part of the Wabash Valley or New Madrid seismic zones.

As Jerry Lee would say, there's a whole lotta shakin' goin' on!

Some of you who are well-schooled in geology (like tiptap, for instance), how bad can this get? What do you think are the chances of another New Madrid (like the biggies of 1811 and 1812, which made the infamous San Francisco earthquake look like a shimmy) happening in our lifetimes?

Ari Chi3fs
05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Katie Horner has been on the TV nonstop since the earthquake... we are waiting for the aftershocks... then she will get off the air.