PDA

View Full Version : Football Chris Long vs Vernon Gholston

royr17
04-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Its looking as if Chris Long is going to be available when the chiefs pick.

But this is a interesting question right here. As we know Chris Long is the son of Howie Long who played for the Raiders.

According to Adam Shefter he believes the Raiders will take Vernon Gholston, which they very well could do.

But with Chris Long being the son of Howie Long, it makes me wonder to they pass on the sure pick in Gholston to bring another Long to Oakland.

I hope that Oakland takes Long and leaves Gholston for the Chiefs. What do you guys think ?

Mr. Arrowhead
04-18-2008, 08:56 AM
I dont want Gholston, i think hes overrated

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Ellis/Dorsey

eazyb81
04-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Matt Ryan

keg in kc
In that situation, I'd hope they take Gholston and leave Long for the Chiefs. I envision Gholston as more of a 3-4 rushbacker than a defensive end. I think Long fits what we do much better (not to mention I think he's a better player).

Rain Man
Long over Gholston by a long shot. I want to take the best football player, not the best athlete.

I should note, though, that it would kill me to have a Chief who is related to that cheap-shotting, cheating, piece of garbage that used to play for the Raiders.

Brock
04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
"Its looking as if Chris Long is going to be available when the chiefs pick." Says who?

Rain Man
Matt Ryan

I don't think he's big enough to stop the run.

JBucc
Long over Gholston by quite a bit

royr17
04-18-2008, 09:03 AM
"Its looking as if Chris Long is going to be available when the chiefs pick." Says who?

According to Adam Shefter, he believe that if the Chiefs do indeed trade Allen to Minnesota that Chris Long will be available for that pick. But he also said that there is no way that Matt Ryan gets past Atlanta at # 3.

Brock
04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
According to Adam Shefter, he believe that if the Chiefs do indeed trade Allen to Minnesota that Chris Long will be available for that pick. But he also said that there is no way that Matt Ryan gets past Atlanta at # 3.

I don't think there's any way in hell Chris Long is available at 5.

Radar Chief
04-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Long over Gholston by a long shot. I want to take the best football player, not the best athlete.

I should note, though, that it would kill me to have a Chief who is related to that cheap-shotting, cheating, piece of garbage that used to play for the Raiders.

Oh, but wouldn’t it be so sweet watching the look on Howie’s face when he has to root for the Chiefs? ;)

DaKCMan AP
04-18-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't think he lasts to us, but if Chris Long is available you draft him. IMO, he and Glenn Dorsey are by far the top 2 talents in the draft.

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2008, 09:06 AM

especially, when the Raiders are drafting ahead of us

PHOG
04-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Exactly, why would us trading Allen and picking up the 17th pick+whatever, change anything in the top five except what KC's going to do?

Hoover
04-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Heres the deal, if the Raiders pass on Chris Long, I jump all over that guy because he's going to be PISSED.

beach tribe
04-18-2008, 09:10 AM
L
O
N
G

The closest thing to JA that we could ask for.

beach tribe
04-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Heres the deal, if the Raiders pass on Chris Long, I jump all over that guy because he's going to be PISSED.

Good point. He would make the Raiders pay for the next 10 yrs.

Then Carl will piss him off, and we'll trade him to Vikes for less than market valie.

royr17
04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
True, Long would probably be the better Defensive End then Vernon Gholston now that I think about it. Gholston could be a player like Derrick Thomas. Just a pass rusher. Long is more suited more the defense we run, big talented Defensive End's. Hali and Long sounds good to me.

Chiefnj2
04-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Exactly, why would us trading Allen and picking up the 17th pick+whatever, change anything in the top five except what KC's going to do?

It shouldn't change anything, but Schefter was on NFL network saying it would change everything. Why, because Schefter is an ass. Also, they all know damn well there probably won't be much trading and movement this year so the talking heads need something to babble about and all of a sudden the #5 pick is exciting for no reason at all.

Chiefs=Good
04-18-2008, 09:21 AM

If thats the case then theres no way we pick Long instead of Dorsey.

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2008, 09:23 AM
If thats the case then theres no way we pick Long instead of Dorsey.

remember Schefter's stance on the Dolphin/Green situation- "This deal will be done , and KC will get a 7th round pick out of it"

StcChief
04-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Matt Ryanwon't be there

rad
04-18-2008, 09:41 AM

How does trading Allen to Min. affect who gets picked 1 - 4?

Hoover
04-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Actually it does because now we have a clear need at the DE spot and teams like the Patriots and Bengals also have the same need. So either teams will want to trade in front of us, or encourage us to trade down. I can still see a Chiefs/Patriots trade happening on draft day if we can get the player we want at 7.

DaKCMan AP
04-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Actually it does because now we have a clear need at the DE spot.

We have a clear need at every position except for P and maybe RB.

Pitt Gorilla
04-18-2008, 09:51 AM
I would take Long in a heartbeat.

nychief
04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
long is the real deal. I'd be happy with the pick... we are talking about JAKE long right?

John_Wayne
04-18-2008, 09:53 AM
For defense:
Dorsey
Long
Gholston
.... in that order.

Isn't Gholston a LB / DE hybrid, whereas Long is a pure DE? Just wondering.

Rain Man
04-18-2008, 09:53 AM
How does trading Allen to Min. affect who gets picked 1 - 4?

Don't stop him. He's on a roll.

DaKCMan AP
04-18-2008, 09:54 AM
For defense:
Dorsey
Long
Gholston
.... in that order.

Isn't Gholston a LB / DE hybrid, whereas Long is a pure DE? Just wondering.

Long is a perfect fit at DE. Can rush the passer and play the run. Gholston is a hybrid athletic-freak who (hopefully) can rush the passer from the line or from a stand-up position but it's thought he'll be a liability against the run.

beach tribe
04-18-2008, 09:57 AM
long is the real deal. I'd be happy with the pick... we are talking about JAKE long right?

J. Long is a Dolphin.

beach tribe
04-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Long is a perfect fit at DE. Can rush the passer and play the run. Gholston is a hybrid athletic-freak who (hopefully) can rush the passer from the line or from a stand-up position but it's thought he'll be a liability against the run.

That thought is prolly correct.

Hoover
04-18-2008, 09:58 AM
We have a clear need at every position except for P and maybe RB.
Its not what needs we actually have, its what other teams think we will do with that pick.

royr17
04-18-2008, 12:08 PM
I believe the Rams will pick Glenn Dorsey with there pick.

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I believe the Rams will pick Glenn Dorsey with there pick.

The Rams are planning to run a 3-4, which Dorsey doesn't fit. It will be Gholston or Chris Long if they decide to go defense

El Jefe
04-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I'll take Gholston.

DaKCMan AP
04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll take Gholston.

LMAO

:homer:

El Jefe
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
:lame:LMAO

:homer:

Direckshun
04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
L
O
N
G

The closest thing to JA that we could ask for.
Minus the priors.

He won't get to us, but if he does, go Long.

ZootedGranny
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I was fine with the idea of the Chiefs taking Chris Long prior to the news of Jared being traded.

That said, I don't see him falling to #5.

afchiefs
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Chris Long was interviewed on NFL channel last night and was asked about going to the raiders and following in his fathers footsteps. His comment was something I hadn't thought about. He said that going to the raiders would be a lot of extra pressure but he thought he could handle it.
I got the impression that if he had his reathers he would perfer to go to a different team. Just my impression! He'd look good in red though o:-)

bowener
04-18-2008, 03:47 PM

Bc the sun shines on the dogs asshole somedays?? :shrug:

God may finally feel pity on us and allow such a miraculous event to occur.

FTR I think C Long > J Allen

keg in kc
04-18-2008, 03:49 PM
FTR I think C Long > J AllenIt would not shock me at all if that was the case a couple years down the line. I doubt it would be that way in '08, of course.

bowener
04-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Chris Long was interviewed on NFL channel last night and was asked about going to the raiders and following in his fathers footsteps. His comment was something I hadn't thought about. He said that going to the raiders would be a lot of extra pressure but he thought he could handle it.
I got the impression that if he had his reathers he would perfer to go to a different team. Just my impression! He'd look good in red though o:-)

Yeah, I must admit that I wouldnt want to be on the same team either because that is all you would ever hear... 'son of howie....' and never really get a chance to make a name for your ownself on your own team... plus the raiders ****in suck and he dodged the obvious by stating that... good move.

bowener
04-18-2008, 03:50 PM
It would not shock me at all if that was the case a couple years down the line. I doubt it would be that way in '08, of course.

No, probably not 08, but 4 years into the league like JA and I think it will show.
edit: and 4 years from now we may finally be crawling out of the ****ing gutter.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I'll take Gholston.

Gholston doesn't play hard according to experts. :hmmm:

Raider$
04-18-2008, 05:58 PM
C. Long won't even make it to the Raiders, much less past the Raiders. But you guys will have options. No one interested in McFadden? Don't get me wrong, I actually really like LJ. (I'm a Penn State fan) But didn't he develop some durability issues?

HolmeZz
04-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Chris Long is definitely better than Gholston and I don't see him making it to 5.

booger
04-19-2008, 01:49 AM
I don't see Long lasting until 5. Gholston's knock is taking some plays off which has been mentioned. He is by far the best pure pass rusher though. I could see NE or NYJ wanting to move up to pick him.

Even with a probable Allen trade, i wouldn't pass up Dorsey at 5. Keep Turk at DE and utilize DJ as a stand up rush end in passing situations. Cinci could want to trade up and get Ellis who we should still strongly consider as well IMO. It looks as if all teams in the 6-10 spots could want to move up to #5. Baltimore if they think us or NYJ will take Matt Ryan(if ATL passes). The saints at 10 also covet Ellis.

If we do trade down we could take Brandon Albert, Clady, or Derrick Harvey and have a shot at Otah, Chris Williams, or Phillip Merling at 17.

I would be less inclined to trade down now with a potential(seems like probable) JA trade though.

It's going to be a long week with all of these scenarios.

CupidStunt
04-19-2008, 03:08 AM
I don't think he lasts to us, but if Chris Long is available you draft him. IMO, he and Glenn Dorsey are by far the top 2 talents in the draft.

Word.

BCD
04-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Ellis/DorseyWhat he said. I'd take C. Long over Gholston.