PDA

View Full Version : Latest on JA from Minnesota Star-Tribune

Coogs
04-18-2008, 02:00 PM
The latest on Jared Allen
April 18th, 2008 – 12:55 PM by Judd Zulgad

Defensive end Jared Allen is at Winter Park right now talking to Vikings officials. It’s also believed his agent, Ken Harris, is in the building. That means only one thing: they are talking contract. The latest we’re hearing is that an agreement with the Chiefs is close to being in place and this thing could get done quick. We emphasize the word could, so don’t get too excited yet.

Allen is going to want a lot of Zygi Wilf’s money. Safe to say, the NFL’s sack leader from 2007 is going to want more than the Colts gave end Dwight Freeney last July. Freeney’s six-year contract – $72 million over six years with a $30 million signing bonus — made him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Considering the fact a player with Allen’s ability could make this one of the top defenses in the NFL, the guess is that Wilf and Co. will pay the price.

StcChief
04-18-2008, 02:01 PM
NFC C has a new Purple people eater.

eazyb81
04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Allen is going to want a lot of Zygi Wilf’s money. Safe to say, the NFL’s sack leader from 2007 is going to want more than the Colts gave end Dwight Freeney last July. Freeney’s six-year contract – $72 million over six years with a $30 million signing bonus — made him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Say what you want, but Carl is making the right move here if JA is demanding more money than Freeney.

He's a great player, but way too much risk for that type of deal.

KCFalcon59
04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Let's just hope Peterwards asked for the right price.

Chiefnj2
04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Say what you want, but Carl is making the right move here if JA is demanding more money than Freeney.

You are aware that the money goes up every year? The Freeney deal will look like a steal in two years. Calvin Pace (rush OLB) just got 20 mil guaranteed and his production is a fraction of what Allen achieves.

markk
04-18-2008, 02:18 PM
too much money for a team in our position to have tied up in one player. it makes the most sense for all involved to go through with the deal. i accept it and wish jared well and a productive career clear of trouble.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
jared allen, the "the Purple Drunkened"

Thig Lyfe
04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Regardless of whether this ends up being a "good deal" (which somehow I doubt), losing Jared Allen reeeeeally sucks.

jAZ
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
We all know why JA wants to go to the Vikings.

http://www.harderfaster.net/images/features/10735.ibiza%20boat%20party.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings_boat_party_scandal

Stephen Doyle, attorney for the charter company, said some of the sex acts alleged by witnesses to have taken place during the party included, "Masturbation, oral sex, anal sex, woman on man, woman on woman, man on man, toys, double penetration, middle of the floor, middle of the couches, middle of the room."

The cleaning crew reported finding "used condoms, K-Y Jelly, Handi Wipes, wrappers for sex toys" and said "it was just incredible how it was left. Never in the history of this group of people have they ever had anything like this.'"

eazyb81
04-18-2008, 02:35 PM
You are aware that the money goes up every year? The Freeney deal will look like a steal in two years. Calvin Pace (rush OLB) just got 20 mil guaranteed and his production is a fraction of what Allen achieves.

It doesn't go up enough to make that deal look smart.

Frazod
04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, considering that my NFC team is the Bears, I'd just like to go on record as saying this totally SUCKS. :mad:

There are also rumblings up here today that Urlacher may be retiring.

Not a happy day in Bear land.

J Diddy
04-18-2008, 02:48 PM
wine em, dine em, 69 em

http://www.harderfaster.net/images/features/10735.ibiza%20boat%20party.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings_boat_party_scandal
Stephen Doyle, attorney for the charter company, said some of the sex acts alleged by witnesses to have taken place during the party included, "Masturbation, oral sex, anal sex, woman on man, woman on woman, man on man, toys, double penetration, middle of the floor, middle of the couches, middle of the room."

The cleaning crew reported finding "used condoms, K-Y Jelly, Handi Wipes, wrappers for sex toys" and said "it was just incredible how it was left. Never in the history of this group of people have they ever had anything like this.'"

BigRock
04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I anticipate much hand-wringing and teeth-grinding in the land of 10,000 lakes if they actually think this will be over with soon.

kcchiefsus
04-18-2008, 02:52 PM
If we actually got the 1st and 2nd round picks we were asking for this would be HUGE.

BigRedChief
04-18-2008, 03:04 PM
From a poster on another board hear on Petro today.......

Petro was talking to a reporter up there as he does during his 2-minute drill.

Jared arrived there yesterday afternoon. Had dinner last night with Steve Hutchinson. Reporter said that surprisingly, Brad Childress went on local radio in Minneapolis this morning and said they were very serious. Reporter stated that Jared is currently "still" out at the Vikings facility going through the works, workouts, Doctor's tests, meeting players & coaches.

Reporter stated that the Vikings are "Extremely Serious" about the deal. Also, states that the Vikings are VERY willing to part with the 1st and whichever 3rd rounder is earliest. Said that Ziggy is ready to go up to at least 30 mil guaranteed signing bonus or "as high as Jared and his agent want to go 'within' reason". Said that they're willing and able to do "Freeney money".

The only holdup he says will be if the Chiefs draft pick compensation demands are too high. Doubts the Vikes will do the 1st & their 2nd, but might. Said it probably won't happen if the Chiefs demand 2 #1s.

BigRedChief
04-18-2008, 03:06 PM
If we actually got the 1st and 2nd round picks we were asking for this would be HUGE.
Depends on the picks....aka Ryan Sims and Jumior Saivii

morphius
04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Well, considering that my NFC team is the Bears, I'd just like to go on record as saying this totally SUCKS. :mad:

There are also rumblings up here today that Urlacher may be retiring.

Not a happy day in Bear land.
My NFC team is the Vikings, lots of family there. Still would suck.

dirk digler
04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
From a poster on another board hear on Petro today.......

Petro was talking to a reporter up there as he does during his 2-minute drill.

Jared arrived there yesterday afternoon. Had dinner last night with Steve Hutchinson. Reporter said that surprisingly, Brad Childress went on local radio in Minneapolis this morning and said they were very serious. Reporter stated that Jared is currently "still" out at the Vikings facility going through the works, workouts, Doctor's tests, meeting players & coaches.

Reporter stated that the Vikings are "Extremely Serious" about the deal. Also, states that the Vikings are VERY willing to part with the 1st and whichever 3rd rounder is earliest. Said that Ziggy is ready to go up to at least 30 mil guaranteed signing bonus or "as high as Jared and his agent want to go 'within' reason". Said that they're willing and able to do "Freeney money".

The only holdup he says will be if the Chiefs draft pick compensation demands are too high. Doubts the Vikes will do the 1st & their 2nd, but might. Said it probably won't happen if the Chiefs demand 2 #1s.

Thanks for the info.

CP needs to hold out for at least a 1 and 2 or 3 this year and a 1 next year

Dicky McElephant
04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
How about their 2008 1st and 3rd round picks plus a 2009 2nd round pick

For Jared Allen and our 4th round pick. We're guaranteed to have a top 5 pick....so that's almost like a low 3rd.

beach tribe
04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
The one time you need to be stern, you better fukin do it Carl.

These guys are salivating over JA, and they should be.

He's gonna put up 18 sacks on that D-line.

Same as he would here with Ellis, or Dorsey:shake:

Valiant
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
How about their 2008 1st and 3rd round picks plus a 2009 2nd round pick

For Jared Allen and our 4th round pick. We're guaranteed to have a top 5 pick....so that's almost like a low 3rd.

Uhh no..

markk
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
first and third this year is pretty fair. if we can squeeze them for their first and second, i would sign that deal 5 minutes ago

Micjones
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
A First and a Third is fair, but get the 1 and the 2 Carl.

afchiefs
04-18-2008, 03:32 PM
The NFL is saying if another team signs JA, we get 2 first round pick. Is that right?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807d1f6e&template=with-video&confirm=true

Brock
04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
The NFL is saying if another team signs JA, we get 2 first round pick. Is that right?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807d1f6e&template=with-video&confirm=true

That's the maximum compensation, I guess.

markk
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
if they sign him to an offer sheet without our permission, we match it or else they get him, but then they owe us two first round picks.

every year teams are not willing to pay that but will negotiate something less. they agree on compensation and its just a normal trade.

The Rick
04-18-2008, 03:44 PM
That's what we get if we don't agree to negotiate lesser compensation, they sign him anyway, and we decide not to match the contract offer.

Direckshun
04-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Jared Allen is not worth the greatest defensive contract in the history of the NFL.

bowener
04-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Jared Allen is not worth the greatest defensive contract in the history of the NFL.

In all honesty if he leaves and gets mad money, I hope he becomes fat and bloated and lazy. Probably wont happen though. Also, is this just another 'LJ to green bay' type of situation going on here? I really hope CP squeezes some balls on this and holds out till we get the absolute best we can... according to the minny guy the vikes have raging erections for JA.

Also, do you think JA would stick around if we franchised him again next year since Carl could be gone after that season...

Halfcan
04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Cheaps are sooo stoopid for not signing JA to a long term deal-years ago. Just because pillow biter Carl does not like him-the fans have to suffer again.

THAT is why this team sucks so bad. JA is our best player and is the heart of this team.

Direckshun
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Cheaps are sooo stoopid for not signing JA to a long term deal-years ago. Just because pillow biter Carl does not like him-the fans have to suffer again.

THAT is why this team sucks so bad. JA is our best player and is the heart of this team.
Well you couldn't blame them then. Hey, we got a couple great years of production out of him for basically peanuts, and now we're passing him on at his greatest value to pick up a couple other rookies.

I don't think it's insane what they're trying to do here. I don't know if I'd do it, but the prospect of dealing with Allen's agent and the prospect of paying $100 million to a Two Strikes guy is iffy.

Direckshun
04-18-2008, 04:29 PM
In all honesty if he leaves and gets mad money, I hope he becomes fat and bloated and lazy. Probably wont happen though. Also, is this just another 'LJ to green bay' type of situation going on here? I really hope CP squeezes some balls on this and holds out till we get the absolute best we can... according to the minny guy the vikes have raging erections for JA.

Also, do you think JA would stick around if we franchised him again next year since Carl could be gone after that season...
Oooooh, there's an interesting thought.

Now, I'd never bank on Carl leaving, but if he did I bet Allen would be immediately more interested.

Mecca
04-18-2008, 04:29 PM

That's my view, especially when you factor in his off the field factors..

Also you are not getting 2 1st round picks for him, you won't get that for anyone, no team will do that.

jspchief
04-18-2008, 04:32 PM

All joking aside, it certainly makes you wonder what the Vikings are thinking.

Considering their recent blackeyes in regards to off-field incidents like the love boat and the love stairwell, Jared Allen doesn't exactly fit the profile for a team that's trying to restore it's image.

The Vikings have been burned more by troubled players recently than the Chiefs, yet they still think he's worth the risk.

eazyb81
04-18-2008, 04:33 PM

Considering their recent blackeyes in regards to off-field incidents like the love boat and the love stairwell, Jared Allen doesn't exactly fit the profile for a team that's trying to restore it's image.

The Vikings have been burned more by troubled players recently than the Chiefs, yet they still think he's worth the risk.

What's even stranger is they got burned by Koren Robinson in the EXACT same situation.

They gave Robinson a long-term deal when he had 2 strikes, and then he got a 3rd strike and was out of the league for a year while he was still under contract.

Mecca
04-18-2008, 04:34 PM
The Vikings are obviously stupid.....but hey I have no issue taking advantage of that.

nychief
04-18-2008, 04:34 PM

more importantly, why are they giving us all the power... if they go all in with a contract and the full nine yards (ironically, our 2008 offensive production), red carpet treatment... don't we sort of have them by the balls?

jspchief
04-18-2008, 04:35 PM
What's even stranger is they got burned by Koren Robinson in the EXACT same situation.

They gave Robinson a long-term deal when he had 2 strikes, and then he got a 3rd strike and was out of the league for a year while he was still under contract.
It's almost like at least one team think the upside is worth the risk....

Mecca
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM
It was one thing to get burned by Robinson he wasn't making much money...you get burned in this spot it is a huge disaster.

Direckshun
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM

They're win now, DE is their position of greatest weakness outside of QB, and they think Jared's the guy to save them.

Hey if that's the way they are so be it.

jspchief
04-18-2008, 04:37 PM
It was one thing to get burned by Robinson he wasn't making much money...you get burned in this spot it is a huge disaster.
And if the Chiefs don't get some really good players out of this it's a huge disaster too.

At least the Vikings are guaranteed to get a stud with their risk.

Dicky McElephant
04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
This is going to make the training camp scrimmages down right interesting.

Bowser
04-18-2008, 04:39 PM

Had Robinson cleaned his act up for an entire season, then outperformed expectations? (Not being a smartass. I don't know the particulars of his story)

Bowser
04-18-2008, 04:39 PM
This is going to make the training camp scrimmages down right interesting.

Christ, he'll kill Croyle AND Ryan.

Mecca
04-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Had Robinson cleaned his act up for an entire season, then outperformed expectations? (Not being a smartass. I don't know the particulars of his story)

He made the pro bowl as a kick returner the prior season....

Dicky McElephant
04-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Christ, he'll kill Croyle AND Ryan.

He'll be kneeing our O-linemen in the nuts!!!!! :mad:

Bowser
04-18-2008, 04:43 PM
He'll be kneeing our O-linemen in the nuts!!!!! :mad:

Well, they kind of deserve it.

bowener
04-18-2008, 04:43 PM

I think they have a new owner who sees gold on the field with his team. His offense is pretty close to being very good (QB aside), and the D has a chance to overpower almost any offense in the league with the D-line they will have (if they get Allen). They will be the team that we are apparently trying to be, strong to insane running game with a immovable DL that kills the QB and forces turnovers in the secondary.

more importantly, why are they giving us all the power... if they go all in with a contract and the full nine yards (ironically, our 2008 offensive production), red carpet treatment... don't we sort of have them by the balls?

Because they know who CP is and that he will **** this up... they are just banking on the side of good odds... its all in their favor.

Mecca
04-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey if Carl ****s this up this is the kind of thing that gets entire front offices fired, it's a far grasp from typical Chiefs business. In the past he'd have never made a move like this because it's the kind of thing that gets people fired it's far from safe.

Halfcan
04-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey if Carl ****s this up this is the kind of thing that gets entire front offices fired, it's a far grasp from typical Chiefs business. In the past he'd have never made a move like this because it's the kind of thing that gets people fired it's far from safe.

and FUGGIN STOOPID to trade JA.

Halfcan
04-18-2008, 04:49 PM
for a late 1st and and 3rd-Vikes are assrapeing us

Mecca
04-18-2008, 04:51 PM

What do you think you're gonna get 10 1st round picks?

This is the same as the LJ stuff you have to be realistic about what you can get. The team taking him not only is giving up picks they have to meet his demands and deal with his off the field 1 strike away stuff, his value is hurt there...

nychief
04-18-2008, 04:51 PM

I think that is going a little too far...

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Well, they kind of deserve it.

Only "kind of"? After last year, I think they all deserve a lengthy session with Beulah Balbricker.

Yeah, that's great. Then we have no JA, a waste of the best draft in years, but hey, it's worth it because Carl's gone.

I hate the bastard, but that scenario isn't worth the cost.

I'm inclined to agree.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
and FUGGIN STOOPID to trade JA.

Not really. If JA wasnt one strike away from being suspened for a year then it wouldnt be a bad to resign him but the risk is to great.

Rain Man
04-18-2008, 04:54 PM

The fact that this is even being considered is proof that the front office has already ****ed it up being all recognition. On a functional team, having to trade your best player because your front office can't get him on board is the thing that gets the front office fired.

MahiMike
04-18-2008, 04:55 PM

I thought he was a franchise player? Meaning 2 1st rounders?

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 04:55 PM
The fact that this is even being considered is proof that the front office has already ****ed it up being all recognition. On a functional team, having to trade your best player because your front office can't get him on board is the thing that gets the front office fired.

On any other team, our front office would be a backup. ;)

Halfcan
04-18-2008, 04:56 PM
What do you think you're gonna get 10 1st round picks?

This is the same as the LJ stuff you have to be realistic about what you can get. The team taking him not only is giving up picks they have to meet his demands and deal with his off the field 1 strike away stuff, his value is hurt there...

Just remember that 1 strike crap when the Vikes have the best D in the NFL and the Faders and Cheatin Donks are kicking our lame asses at Arrowhead again next year.

Why is everyone so crazy over draft picks?? With JA you have a known quantity with the heart the size of a keg of beer. :D

Dicky McElephant
04-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Yeah if they offer him a contract and we don't match it.

Halfcan
04-18-2008, 04:57 PM

That is for every other team not called the Chiefs. We will fug it up.

Rain Man
04-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Why is everyone so crazy over draft picks?? With JA you have a known quantity with the heart the size of a keg of beer. :D

Yep. With two first-round draft picks, our history says that we have about a 13 percent chance of being a winner in this trade. The odds are high that it would be a disaster.

Mecca
04-18-2008, 04:59 PM
This reminds me of the LJ thing if they had traded him when they should have the board would have melted down and not even a year later everyone thinks they should have traded him.....it's real easy to look back in hindsight and say what they should have done when in the moment that the move had to be made you wouldn't have pulled the trigger..

Hey I'd trade him, I don't think Allen is worth one of the biggest defensive contracts in league history while being 1 strike away, he opens a bar, hows he gonna act once he gets paid?

I don't think it's worth it.

Mecca
04-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Just remember that 1 strike crap when the Vikes have the best D in the NFL and the Faders and Cheatin Donks are kicking our lame asses at Arrowhead again next year.

You're the same guy that if they pay him if/when he gets suspended will go "they shoulda traded his ass"

But that goes for a good majority of the board people don't have the stones to make tough calls till they have hindsight, take the LJ situation for example.

bowener
04-18-2008, 05:00 PM

All very true, but you forget what team we are talking about perhaps? No way they get fired, ever. This has become quite clear by now. 19 years and 3 playoff wins should get you fired. Looking like a ****ing 6 foot tall oompa loompa should get your fired (see orange face carl video from todays conference). Being an ego driven dipshit GM who stalls deals and pisses key players off and eventually drives them away should be fired.

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 05:01 PM
But that goes for a good majority of the board people don't have the stones to make tough calls till they have hindsight, take the LJ situation for example.

You've clearly got a real pair of brass ones posting comments on an internet forum. :rolleyes:

Mecca
04-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Yep. With two first-round draft picks, our history says that we have about a 13 percent chance of being a winner in this trade. The odds are high that it would be a disaster.

Like I said to you before, if you really believe that is how it will always be, why do you even care? Teams that can't draft WILL NEVER WIN.

Does that mean you just enjoy wasting your time?

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Like I said to you before, if you really believe that is how it will always be, why do you even care? Teams that can't draft WILL NEVER WIN.

Does that mean you just enjoy wasting your time?

I don't know about Mr. Rain Man, but in my case it means I'm more stubborn than Carl, and can wait him out, just like I did Steadman.

Mecca
04-18-2008, 05:02 PM
You've clearly got a real pair of brass ones posting comments on an internet forum. :rolleyes:

People do it all the time, in the moment no one wants to make the move but then 6 months later it's "oh they shoulda traded him" you have to have foresight not hindsight...

Some of us do, Milkman I know for sure, but when we talk about moving away from guys like LJ and Gonzalez people get all upset, doing the right thing isn't always easy.

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 05:04 PM
People do it all the time, in the moment no one wants to make the move but then 6 months later it's "oh they shoulda traded him" you have to have foresight not hindsight...

Some of us do, Milkman I know for sure, but when we talk about moving away from guys like LJ and Gonzalez people get all upset, doing the right thing isn't always easy.

Sure, people post comments all the time, but claiming you've got a superior pair of cohones for posting an unpopular opinion on an internet forum is beyond lame.

Yeah, you're really making a noble sacrifice. My heart weeps for you. :rolleyes:

Are you ready to climb down off that cross, or do you want some more Vinegar first?

Mecca
04-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Sure, people post comments all the time, but claiming you've got a superior pair of cohones for posting an unpopular opinion on an internet forum is beyond lame.

It's better than saying we have to keep them when the decision time is in and then a year later saying we should have moved them...

Mr. Arrowhead
04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
I cant believe im saying this but i agree with Mecca.

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
It's better than saying we have to keep them when the decision time is in and then a year later saying we should have moved them...

Actually, it's as pointless. But I don't expect you to be able to realize that.

Enjoy your time up on that cross Mecca, your valiant sacrifice will live in the annals of ChiefsPlanet forever.

Mecca
04-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Actually, it's as pointless. But I don't expect you to be able to realize that.

Oh well if that is the view you have let's close this damn board the entire thing is pointless since none of our views matter.

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh well if that is the view you have let's close this damn board the entire thing is pointless since none of our views matter.

Heh. Sorry that the fact your opinion doesn't matter anymore than anyone else's (and not at all to the powers that be) puts you in "take my ball and go home" mode.

It's a bitter truth, but better to realize it than not, IMO.

Halfcan
04-18-2008, 05:10 PM
You're the same guy that if they pay him if/when he gets suspended will go "they shoulda traded his ass"

I was Always for trading Pampers Johnson. He has ZERO heart- and JA has a bigger one than the whole team put together.

Did you see LJ upset about losing all those games in a row?? The answer is NO-he was not even in the same state when the game was on.

JA could have been .00000001 over the limit-but hey the law is the law-and he got busted for it. You guys act like he was wasted out of his head.

That same Wild spirit is Why he is a Great future Hofer.

Trading JA will be our Babe Ruth trade-we will never get past it.

BigRock
04-18-2008, 05:27 PM
JA could have been .00000001 over the limit-but hey the law is the law-and he got busted for it.
Why stop there? Maybe he was framed!

Frankie
04-18-2008, 05:31 PM
This reminds me of the LJ thing if they had traded him when they should have the board would have melted down and not even a year later everyone thinks they should have traded him.....

Exactly. Though Jared has less of the personality to turn lazy fat cat than Leon.

xbarretx
04-18-2008, 06:08 PM

you are correct, paying him that money is classic Chiefs style and we need to break that habit :shake: