PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Think Tank - "War in Iraq ... a major debacle"

jAZ
04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
http://leftword.blogdig.net/archives/articles/April2008/18/Pentagon_Think_Tank__Iraq_a___8220_Major_Debacle__8221_.html

A Pentagon think tank has taken a critical look at the ongoing occupation, and concluded:

Measured in blood and treasure, the war in Iraq has achieved the status of a major war and a major debacle. As of fall 2007, this conflict has cost the United States over 3,800 dead and over 28,000 wounded. Allied casualties accounted for another 300 dead. Iraqi civilian deaths mostly at the hands of other Iraqis may number as high as 82,000. Over 7,500 Iraqi soldiers and police officers have also been killed. Fifteen percent of the Iraqi population has become refugees or displaced persons. The Congressional Research Service estimates that the United States now spends over $10 billion per month on the war, and that the total, direct U.S. costs from March 2003 to July 2007 have exceeded $450 billion, all of which has been covered by deficit spending. No one as yet has calculated the costs of long-term veterans benefits or the total impact on Service personnel and materiel.

And that’s just the first paragraph of the report. Let’s keep in mind that the 60 page report wasn’t produced by the ACLU, an anti-war group, or Moveon.org - this critical analysis comes from the Pentagon’s premier think tank and war making institute.

The McClatchy article points out the following, regarding the primary author of the report:

The report carries considerable weight because it was written by Joseph Collins, a former senior Pentagon official, and was based in part on interviews with other former senior defense and intelligence officials who played roles in prewar preparations.

It was published by the university’s National Institute for Strategic Studies, a Defense Department research center…

I’m not sure about the characterization of Mr. Collins carrying “considerable weight” - when it comes to the occupation of Iraq, no one other than Dick Cheney and David Petraeus carry any weight in the Bush administration. We already know that the open-ended commitment to Iraq and Afghanistan is decimating the U.S. military. Still, there is no question that the Bush administration has largely ignored all warnings of the dire future circumstances from continuing the debacle.

Collins sums up his concerns thusly:

For many analysts (including this one), Iraq remains a ‘must win,’ but for many others, despite obvious progress under General David Petraeus and the surge, it now looks like a ‘can’t win.’ …

Strong words that no one (at least, no one who really matters) will take to heart.

Taco John
04-19-2008, 12:44 AM
What a bunch of traitors.

Adept Havelock
04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
My prediction of the official response to this:

Uncle_Ted
04-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Undoubtedly this comes from the most liberal of the Pentagon's 5 sides ... the upper left side. The one devoted to the Coast Guard (the most liberal of the armed services).

Ok, that wasn't even remotely funny, but at least I tried. :D

Taco John
04-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Ha! You sold a pretty good joke short... :)

Brock
04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
File that one under "Duh".

Calcountry
04-19-2008, 10:39 AM
http://leftword.blogdig.net/archives/articles/April2008/18/Pentagon_Think_Tank__Iraq_a___8220_Major_Debacle__8221_.html
A Pentagon think tank has taken a critical look at the ongoing occupation, and concluded:

Measured in blood and treasure, the war in Iraq has achieved the status of a major war and a major debacle. As of fall 2007, this conflict has cost the United States over 3,800 dead and over 28,000 wounded. Allied casualties accounted for another 300 dead. Iraqi civilian deaths mostly at the hands of other Iraqis may number as high as 82,000. Over 7,500 Iraqi soldiers and police officers have also been killed. Fifteen percent of the Iraqi population has become refugees or displaced persons. The Congressional Research Service estimates that the United States now spends over $10 billion per month on the war, and that the total, direct U.S. costs from March 2003 to July 2007 have exceeded $450 billion, all of which has been covered by deficit spending. No one as yet has calculated the costs of long-term veterans benefits or the total impact on Service personnel and materiel.

And that’s just the first paragraph of the report. Let’s keep in mind that the 60 page report wasn’t produced by the ACLU, an anti-war group, or Moveon.org - this critical analysis comes from the Pentagon’s premier think tank and war making institute.

The McClatchy article points out the following, regarding the primary author of the report:

The report carries considerable weight because it was written by Joseph Collins, a former senior Pentagon official, and was based in part on interviews with other former senior defense and intelligence officials who played roles in prewar preparations.

It was published by the university’s National Institute for Strategic Studies, a Defense Department research center…
I’m not sure about the characterization of Mr. Collins carrying “considerable weight” - when it comes to the occupation of Iraq, no one other than Dick Cheney and David Petraeus carry any weight in the Bush administration. We already know that the open-ended commitment to Iraq and Afghanistan is decimating the U.S. military. Still, there is no question that the Bush administration has largely ignored all warnings of the dire future circumstances from continuing the debacle.

Collins sums up his concerns thusly:

For many analysts (including this one), Iraq remains a ‘must win,’ but for many others, despite obvious progress under General David Petraeus and the surge, it now looks like a ‘can’t win.’ …

Strong words that no one (at least, no one who really matters) will take to heart.
I was just wondering when Nancy Pelosi was going to grow a pair of balls and defund the troops and bring them home?

jAZ
04-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I was just wondering when Nancy Pelosi was going to grow a pair of balls and defund the troops and bring them home?

"Defund the troops"?

I thought it was defunding the war policy. I assume the troops would still get regularly due paychecks. Right?

Bowser
04-19-2008, 02:05 PM
"Defund the troops"?

I thought it was defunding the war policy. I assume the troops would still get regularly due paychecks. Right?

Don't stand in the way of a far right neocon trying to make a wore out partisan point. He'll rip the top of your head off, and eat your soul.

alanm
04-19-2008, 02:41 PM
You lost me at Leftword.

jAZ
04-19-2008, 03:37 PM
You lost me at Leftword.

Posts like this make baby-jesus cry.

mlyonsd
04-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Don't stand in the way of a far right neocon trying to make a wore out partisan point. He'll rip the top of your head off, and eat your soul.

It's a point no one here from the left can seem to answer.

penchief
04-19-2008, 07:33 PM
No kidding? What took the pentagon so long?

Well, the corporate media is still behind the curve so I guess it's probably inappropiate to criticize the 25% that's still clinging to American fascism in the guise of protecting us from terrorism.

Saggysack
04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
No kidding? What took the pentagon so long?

Well, the corporate media is still behind the curve so I guess it's probably inappropiate to criticize the 25% that's still clinging to American fascism in the guise of protecting us from terrorism.

Well, a report like this would have never made it out with Rumsfeld at the helm. So we are making progess.

Gates is the only leftover I see staying after the election. And I like that.