PDA

View Full Version : OK. What would you like to see Allen get paid?

Buehler445
04-19-2008, 02:05 PM
There has been a lot of discussion on whether or not Jared Allen is worth the money (the numbers I've seen thrown around are $100 mil), others say he is.

Some say he is definitely worth some picks, others say he is established, ascending and the Chiefs would have to be retarted to let him go.

So my question is, what would you like to see Allen get paid and why?

He has improved his game and is no doubt valuable to the KC defense.

Assume JA accepts what you think he is worth, and Carl doesn't **** it up (A stretch I know, but work with me). Ultimately, what deal would you be happy to see Allen get?

Note: I don't have an opinion, I'm looking to form one.

Mecca
04-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Somewhere between what Freeney got and what Aaron Schobel got, I think that is reasonable...

Freeneys overall is 72 and Schobels is around 50.

Douche Baggins
04-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Unlike some people, I trust Allen and think he's a changed man. I say give him the bank. We're the Kansas City ****ing Chiefs. What do we have to lose?

OnTheWarpath58
04-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Somewhere between what Freeney got and what Aaron Schobel got, I think that is reasonable...

Freeneys overall is 72 and Schobels is around 50.

Agree 100%.

If he wants Freeney's deal, play under the tag this year, prove that you can:

1) Stay clean

2) Repeat your 2007 performance (12-13 sacks or more)

Otherwise, $60M max.

jspchief
04-19-2008, 02:27 PM
IMO he deserves to be among the highest paid DEs in the NFL. When you consider his pass rush combined with his TFL over the last few years, I don't see any way to argue that he's not in that class.

You can try to argue that his off field stuff should affect his price, but if you are willing to make a long term commitment to him you've already chosen to believe it won't happen again. I would have no problem with behavior clauses, but I don't think the NFLPA would allow it.

Douche Baggins
04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Agree 100%.

If he wants Freeney's deal, play under the tag this year, prove that you can:

1) Stay clean

2) Repeat your 2007 performance (12-13 sacks or more)

Otherwise, $60M max.

The thing is Allen doesn't see it that way. Every year he's not getting paid big-time money is a year he can get injured and lose a big chunk of his value.

Larry is lucky he made it through 2006 unscathed...think he would have gotten a huge payday this offseason after breaking his foot?

OnTheWarpath58
04-19-2008, 02:33 PM
The thing is Allen doesn't see it that way. Every year he's not getting paid big-time money is a year he can get injured and lose a big chunk of his value.

Larry is lucky he made it through 2006 unscathed...think he would have gotten a huge payday this offseason after breaking his foot?

Yeah, because the $9M he'd be getting paid for 2008 under the tag is chump change.

He could also lose a big chunk of his value by slipping into old habits again, or posting 7.5 sacks like he did in 2006.

Trust me, he's not worried about injury nearly as much as losing his payday over an average 2008 performance or falling off the wagon.

Douche Baggins
04-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, because the $9M he'd be getting paid for 2008 under the tag is chump change.

Jared wants that big signing bonus to secure his future. 9M after taxes doesn't do that (at least for the life he wants to live).

Trust me, he's not worried about injury nearly as much as losing his payday over an average 2008 performance or falling off the wagon.

Every NFL player is worried about injury.

jspchief
04-19-2008, 02:36 PM
He could also lose a big chunk of his value by slipping into old habits again, or posting 7.5 sacks like he did in 2006.

... and leading the league in tackles for a loss.

OnTheWarpath58
04-19-2008, 02:37 PM
... and leading the league in tackles for a loss.

Wasn't that Derrick Johnson?

JBucc
04-19-2008, 02:37 PM
60 million, around 24 guaranteed, with some performance bonuses that might bring the guaranteed cash closer to Freeney's.

Douche Baggins
04-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Wasn't that Derrick Johnson?

Yes, it was.

OnTheWarpath58
04-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Jared wants that big signing bonus to secure his future. 9M after taxes doesn't do that (at least for the life he wants to live).

Every NFL player is worried about injury.

Of course he does. Then he can **** up, but still have his $30M in the bank.

He could have secured his future YEARS ago by learning from the first or second DWI.

Douche Baggins
04-19-2008, 02:39 PM
He could have secured his future YEARS ago by learning from the first or second DWI.

His behavior over the past year and a half isn't proof he learned?

Smed1065
04-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I would match Freeneys total but the guarantee would have to be less.

If at all possible, I would make it based on performance incentives, games played.

I wonder if they could put in a step clause for the guarantee over 2 years or a roster bonus for the next two years?

Chiefmanwillcatch
I don't think most of you get the point.

Before you get Freeney money then you have to be consistent like Freeney.

Allen's numbers could have been inflated by matching up with a turd team with a bad LT.

jspchief
Wasn't that Derrick Johnson?Johnson led the league in 2007.

Allen led the league in 2006... just another mediocre year for him.

Mecca
04-19-2008, 02:41 PM

A year and a half doesn't clear numerous years of bad behavior, anyone that knows people with DWI/alcohol problems realizes how many times these people continue to do it even when they look like they've become fine.

jspchief
04-19-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't think most of you get the point.

Before you get Freeney money then you have to be consistent like Freeney.

Allen's numbers could have been inflated by matching up with a turd team with a bad LT.Remind me how many sacks "Mr Consistent" has put up the last 3 years....

OnTheWarpath58
04-19-2008, 02:46 PM

The Rams thought Leonard Little had learned his lesson.

Five years later, a second DWI.

And no, people with drinking problems don't just magically get cured.

And opening a bar? Why not just save the money and walk into Clark's office and tell him to **** off?

It'd be like Pacman Jones opening his own strip club.

Mecca
04-19-2008, 02:47 PM

Five years later, a second DWI.

And no, people with drinking problems don't just magically get cured.

And opening a bar? Why not just save the money and walk into Clark's office and tell him to **** off?

It'd be like Pacman Jones opening his own strip club.

To me that bar thing was just a horrible idea on his part, it showed a total lack of judgment.

His cured speak bugs the shit out of me to, anyone that has dealt with anyone with problems knows what happens to people who spout that.

jspchief
04-19-2008, 02:48 PM

The Vikings thought Cris Carter had learned his lesson....

kstater
04-19-2008, 02:49 PM
$20 for every minute he goes without another DUI for the next 6 years.

OnTheWarpath58
04-19-2008, 02:51 PM
$20 for every minute he goes without another DUI for the next 6 years.

If my math is correct, that comes to $10.5M per year.

OnTheWarpath58
04-19-2008, 02:53 PM
To me that bar thing was just a horrible idea on his part, it showed a total lack of judgment.

His cured speak bugs the shit out of me to, anyone that has dealt with anyone with problems knows what happens to people who spout that.

He's basically thumbed his nose at the organization this entire offseason.

You think I'm an at risk player? I'll show you. I'll open a bar.

You think I'm immature? I'll show you. I'll show up to a black tie event in a tuxedo t-shirt.

He's all but BEGGED to get traded.

kstater
04-19-2008, 02:54 PM
If my math is correct, that comes to $10.5M per year.

But none of it is guaranteed. :D

jspchief
04-19-2008, 02:55 PM
He's all but BEGGED to get traded. According to at least one article, that's exactly what he's doing.

Buehler445
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Good thoughts. Thanks guys.

catfish307
04-19-2008, 06:00 PM
All players are way overpaid. They should earn a base of a $million max, and then earn the rest with performance incentives. Then there is no risk of overpaying anyone. EARN YOUR MONEY

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2008, 06:04 PM
All players are way overpaid. They should earn a base of a $million max, and then earn the rest with performance incentives. Then there is no risk of overpaying anyone. EARN YOUR MONEY

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

How are you going to pay the "disruptive force in the middle"? How are you going to pay the best cornerbacks in the league that rarely get challenged?

Sorry Dude, this was not very well thought out.

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Allen is lucky he is a super talented athlete, remember he f**ked himself out of high school as well and ended up at I-AA Idaho State. I like JA as the player and really all of his dorky off the field stuff doesnt bother me either, but if we are making him the highest paid player in Chiefs history and one of the top in the league, he better get his shit straight. And judging by his past, I doubt it.

CosmicPal
04-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Peterson already *****ed up by paying Larry Johnson. He should've traded Larry Johnson and paid Jared Allen. Instead, we've got a RB who's more interested in pimping his strut and a disgruntled DE who deserves to get his pay. Sad thing is- we're now stuck with a broken down RB and a losing a stud DE. What a shame.

beach tribe
04-19-2008, 06:12 PM
A check from Cark Hunt.

Dark Horse
04-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I think Allen deserves to be paid like an elite player, it's the amount an elite player deserves that I have major questions about.

Mecca
04-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Peterson already *****ed up by paying Larry Johnson. He should've traded Larry Johnson and paid Jared Allen. Instead, we've got a RB who's more interested in pimping his strut and a disgruntled DE who deserves to get his pay. Sad thing is- we're now stuck with a broken down RB and a losing a stud DE. What a shame.

Even if they had traded LJ like they should have, I'd still have major reservations about paying Allen. I'd like my franchise player to conduct themselves like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady not like a big kid.

Pic
04-19-2008, 07:10 PM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/Picturesspeaklouder/milliondollars.jpg

blueballs
04-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Not much after he breaks his legs jumping from a plane
or losing an arm swimming with sharks -Peterson jokes aside

catfish307
04-19-2008, 07:26 PM
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

How are you going to pay the "disruptive force in the middle"? How are you going to pay the best cornerbacks in the league that rarely get challenged?

Sorry Dude, this was not very well thought out.

If it's so dumb, how do these players get their elite status? Do they perform or sit in the locker room and play eenie meenie minie moe to see who starts, makes the big bucks and gets tagged as an all star. They make their money for some obvious reason.