PDA

View Full Version : Football Has anyone gone to a game @ Invesco in Denver?

Buck
04-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I have the trip all planned out and everything.

I'm getting hooked up w/ free tix and free housing. Just a $200 plane ticket and I am going to Denver for the Chargers week 2 matchup @ the Donks.

I'm sure some of you have been there before.

Couple questions...

1. What is there to do in denver?

2. How nice is the stadium?

3. What is the weather like in mid-september in Denver?

vailpass
04-19-2008, 04:55 PM
1. What do you like to do? Bars? Clubs? Outdoor activities?

2. It's a damn nice stadium without near the personality of old Mile High.

3. The weather in mid-September in Denver is gorgeous. Or Horrible.
It's sunny and warm. Or its snowing. Or it's cool and comfy. Or it's freezing and rainy.

Buck
04-19-2008, 04:57 PM
1. What do you like to do? Bars? Clubs? Outdoor activities?

2. It's a damn nice stadium without near the personality of old Mile High.

3. The weather in mid-September in Denver is gorgeous. Or Horrible.
It's sunny and warm. Or its snowing. Or it's cool and comfy. Or it's freezing and rainy.

1. I will be going with a co-worker, he doesn't drink do drugs,etc. Very Christian. He told me he doesn't care if I drink, but I think that'd be weird. I'm thinking a sports bar (he loves sports) or something outdoor.

3. So I should pack for all weather?

Bacon Cheeseburger
04-19-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't really know what all there is to do IN Denver, but if you're willing to drive a bit there's a lot of stuff to do around there. You're on the edge of the Rocky Mountains, go to Pike's Peak or the Royal Gorge. Or drive up to the top of Mt. Evans and get a nice lack of oxygen buzz.

Bacon Cheeseburger
04-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm thinking a sports bar (he loves sports)
There's an ESPN Zone downtown.

vailpass
04-19-2008, 05:45 PM
1. I will be going with a co-worker, he doesn't drink do drugs,etc. Very Christian. He told me he doesn't care if I drink, but I think that'd be weird. I'm thinking a sports bar (he loves sports) or something outdoor.

3. So I should pack for all weather?

1. If you are going to hit a sportsbar I reccomend The Sports Column. It is right in the middle of downtown, near the baseball field and tons of shops/restaurants. Your non-drinking buddy will enjoy the Column and the surrounding area. Who doesn't like TVs in the floor and bathrooms?
Check it out: http://www.denversportscolumn.com/

Don't know how much time you have but you are not far from some of the most spectacular scenery in America.

*16th St. Mall. The heart of LoDo (Lower Downtown) there is a lightrail that will take you up and down.

*Red Rocks http://www.redrocksonline.com/index.asp
A short drive from downtown, it is a beauty. While there take a drive down Bear Creek Ave. in Morrison for lunch or shopping.

*If you have the time keep driving west on I70, go through the Eisenhower Tunnel and see tthe view from up high in the Rocky Mountains.

*Is your buddy into music? I know where they play some great shows in town.

Oh, and bringing clothes for both warm and chilly weather is a good idea.

vailpass
04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Another place to go downtown: El Chapultepec.
A dive mexican restaurant/blues/Jazz bar whose motto is: Hot Food Cool Jazz.
Don't let the dive title fool you. If you like music and atmosphere this place is a slice of heaven. I've spent many a night at the 'Pec moving my white boy feet to the music.

Here is a review from CitySearch:
"Since its opening in 1951, Sinatra, Bennett and Fitzgerald have worked up a sweat in this venerable rumpus room. A host of rock and rollers, including McCartney, Jagger and Richards, have played here, too. The sound can be harsh near the stage, but the blare is eased in the side-stage nook. The house serves basic Mexican fare, dished up in a tiny snack and billiards room. Some rave about the incendiary green chili."

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Bring a bomb vest.

CosmicPal
04-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Another place to go downtown: El Chapultepec.
A dive mexican restaurant/blues/Jazz bar whose motto is: Hot Food Cool Jazz.
Don't let the dive title fool you. If you like music and atmosphere this place is a slice of heaven. I've spent many a night at the 'Pec moving my white boy feet to the music.

vailpass has nailed it. El Chapultepec is my favorite place in LoDo.

As for Invesco- it's a nice stadium with plenty of food choices and restrooms. The parking is horrendous and costly and the fans suck. lol. Sorry, but I've been to a few Chiefs games there and it always seems like I gotta run into little Jimmy and his gang of drunken douchebags. I'm not even sure they even watch the game. They'd rather expend all of their energy trying to make your life and the life of everyone around us miserable. It's just not worth it anymore. I just watch the Chiefs games at the bars now and get onion rings thrown at me.

Saggysack
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty sure Zach has.

vailpass
04-19-2008, 06:30 PM
vailpass has nailed it. El Chapultepec is my favorite place in LoDo.

As for Invesco- it's a nice stadium with plenty of food choices and restrooms. The parking is horrendous and costly and the fans suck. lol. Sorry, but I've been to a few Chiefs games there and it always seems like I gotta run into little Jimmy and his gang of drunken douchebags. I'm not even sure they even watch the game. They'd rather expend all of their energy trying to make your life and the life of everyone around us miserable. It's just not worth it anymore. I just watch the Chiefs games at the bars now and get onion rings thrown at me.

F those guys Cosmic. Most of us Bronco fans are cool to the cool. Don't you love the picture of Clinton hanging up in the 'Pec?
I've always loved the idea of a POTUS jamming at the home of Hot Food & Cool Jazz.

vailpass
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Zach has.

That's great if Cro needs a list of gay bars and 1 hour photo shacks.

J/k Zach j/k:evil:

CosmicPal
04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
F those guys Cosmic. Most of us Bronco fans are cool to the cool. Don't you love the picture of Clinton hanging up in the 'Pec?
I've always loved the idea of a POTUS jamming at the home of Hot Food & Cool Jazz.

Uhhh, I don't actually recall any pics in the place. The place is always packed and jammin' with peeps, and I'm usually dancing by the live band with some gal...I don't always stay long in the 'Pec 'cause a lot of it has to do with the fact I keep forgetting the place doesn't accept credit cards. Ugggh....I don't like walking around with a load of cash when I'm drinking.

jspchief
04-19-2008, 10:46 PM
1. Kick homeless people in the tooth

2. Awesome, except for the 70k douchebags in orange and blue. Hope you like to fight.

3. It will either be hotter than hell, or snowing. Denver's weather is bi-polar.

Sure-Oz
04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
The stadium is really nice and downtown is pretty fun, go to the espnzone there...we stayed at the hyatt downtown and walked around and checked out the bowling alley there and the mall area. It was freezing and snowing when we went last december and got owned. we were there all of 2 days...

alanm
04-19-2008, 10:53 PM
1. Kick homeless people in the tooth

2. Awesome, except for the 70k douchebags in orange and blue. Hope you like to fight.

3. It will either be hotter than hell, or snowing. Denver's weather is bi-polar.
Went to a game there in Sept of 98 or 99 with the Chiefs visiting. It snowed the night before. The game wasn't bad, the Chiefs won with Grbac hitting Alexander with I think 19 seconds left.

alanm
04-19-2008, 10:55 PM
The stadium is really nice and downtown is pretty fun, go to the espnzone there...we stayed at the hyatt downtown and walked around and checked out the bowling alley there and the mall area. It was freezing and snowing when we went last december and got owned. we were there all of 2 days...
16th St mall area is a nice place to kill a few hours.

Buck
04-20-2008, 01:14 PM
So what percentage of the Bronco's fans have mullets?

DaFace
04-20-2008, 01:18 PM
16th St mall area is a nice place to kill a few hours.

I've heard there's a premier market research company located just off of the mall. I'm not sure that's much to look at though. :D

Nzoner
04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Don't know if it's still there but when I was there for the Montana-Elway MNF game in '94 we found a place downtown called The Rock Bottom Brew Pub that had some tasty brews and good food.

Skip Towne
04-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I've heard there's a premier market research company located just off of the mall. I'm not sure that's much to look at though. :D

I'd say not! Have you ever seen those goobers?

chiefforlife
04-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I went to the game last year. It was cold (Dec.) and the Chiefs played so bad it was embarrassing. The stadium was VERY nice and the fans were actually cool as hell. We had great seats and I got to meet Jared Allen. Had a great time regardless of the outcome.

DaFace
04-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Don't know if it's still there but when I was there for the Montana-Elway MNF game in '94 we found a place downtown called The Rock Bottom Brew Pub that had some tasty brews and good food.

Still there - right on the 16th street mall.

kstater
04-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Any place that's nicknamed LoDo can't be that great.

DaFace
04-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Any place that's nicknamed LoDo can't be that great.

Someone who comes from the land of "Aggieville" should know better.

vailpass
04-20-2008, 05:43 PM
One of my favorites is Governor's Park
672 Logan St, Denver, CO

Also good:

Wynkoop Brewery.
http://www.wynkoop.com/

Cherry Cricket
http://www.cherrycricket.com/

Rain Man
04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
1. What is there to do in denver?

You can go spit on the cars at the John Elway dealerships. Other than that, Denver has the usual cultural stuff - art museum, history museum, zoo, etc., but there's not a whole lot in Denver proper that isn't in most large cities - except of course the world's greatest market research firm.

You should allow time to go to Vail, which is about 3 hours away or so. Gorgeous drive, and Vail is cool. Expensive, but cool.

2. How nice is the stadium?

Haven't been there, so don't know. Don't wear a crucifix, though, or it'll burn your skin. Bring batteries, too.

3. What is the weather like in mid-september in Denver?

We usually get our first snow in September or October, but it doesn't stick. It's generally quite pleasant that time of year, but as mentioned earlier, highly variable. Could be 70, could be 40. Could be sunny, could be getting several inches of snow.