PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Allen deal is in Huntís hands

Count Zarth
04-19-2008, 10:52 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/747951.html

In the discussion of a likely trade of Pro-Bowl defensive end Jared Allen, not many people are talking about Clark Hunt. After a disappointing 2007 season, Hunt made it known he wants to see improvement and also made it clear he wants KCís best player to remain a Chief for a long time.

Back in January, Hunt and I sat down in his Ownerís Suite to discuss the 2007 season, the future of head coach Herm Edwards, and his relationship with general manager Carl Peterson. We also talked about Allen.

ďJared and I have a very good relationship,Ē said Hunt. ďI know he knows that I want him to be a Chief for many years and hopefully retire a Chief. Iím very hopeful that weíll be able to work out a long-term contract for him this offseason because it is our intent for Jared to be here for many years.Ē

Hunt now has an opportunity to make good on that intention.

He has a difficult task following in the footsteps of his father, Lamar. He has shoes to fill that many men would shy away from.

Lamar groomed his son for this very moment - the moment where he must use his power and decide to trade Allen or rebuild the franchise with younger players who can potentially make the Chiefs competitive in a short amount of time.

Hunt will wrestle with that dilemma over the next 24 hours. As of Saturday, Allen remains in lockdown in Minnesota, with plans to leave town and head to Tampa Bay to meet with the Buccaneers.

The Vikings are in panic mode because they know if Allen leaves town, the chance to secure his services will diminish significantly. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf told the Minnesota Tribune last week that the team has done their homework on Allen and has no intention of signing him to an offer sheet. Wilf indicated that sending the Vikings 2008 and 2009 first-round draft picks was too steep a price to pay for Allen.

Wilf appears to have a lot to learn about the price of winning.

Meanwhile, Hunt has seen first-hand the price of winning and losing. In the last two years, heís seen the Chiefs reach the playoffs before tumbling to 4-12.

Hunt hates losing, but signed off on the decision by Edwards and Peterson to rebuild through the draft. By doing that, he almost guaranteed it would take a perfect offseason for the Chiefs to increase the number of wins they managed a year ago.

The bigger issue for Hunt concerns the rest of the football team. Every other player on KCís roster is watching the Allen situation with great interest at the moment. Some will become stars and might eventually be faced with the exact same situation Allen is in now Ė trying to get a long term deal from the Chiefs.

Hunt has to make the right decision, because heís the only person with enough power to make this trade or get Allen back into the Chiefsí family.

Thatís not a knock against Peterson or Edwards, but the buck stops with Clark Hunt.

Today he must weigh the potential gain for his franchise if the Vikings overpay for Allen. But on the flip side of the coin, he has to understand the impact of trading one of the most beloved players in franchise history.

Allen has had his ups and downs in Kansas City, but there is no mistaking the fact that heís the leader of the defense. Based on the interest level of the four teams pursuing him at the moment, itís not a stretch to consider him an elite player.

I can see the merit in trading Allen for draft picks. As much as I like him - and Iíve been fortunate to get to know him on a personal level - itís probably the right thing to do.

However, itís not often a team finds players with this much talent. But in Allenís eyes the bridge has been burned. His relationship with Peterson is ultimately the primary factor in this stalemate.

But before we blame Peterson, it should be noted that signing Allen to an enormous contract might not be wise.

Allen is a great player, but has holes in his game. I can show you the stats concerning his lack of sacks in the fourth quarter Ė where most games are decided. Itís common knowledge he isnít the leagueís most prolific run defender.

So Hunt has a tough decision to make, because no matter what happens, it will be his first major move since his father passed away.

Thatís a lot of pressure, but I expect Hunt will make the right decision. Either way, Chiefs fans should feel secure heís the one making the call.

jspchief
04-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Clark's first big decision now that he's wearing big boy pants. I don't envy him.

B_Ambuehl
04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey Gochiefs if you have the stats how many sacks has Allen had at home vs on the road? I've always considered him a home sacker as he seems to get most of his sacks off jumping the silent count. I can only imagine the kind of havoc he'll be able to wreak doing that on that turf in Minnesota.

DaFace
04-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Nick's been getting (a little) better lately, but the way he likes to "name drop" kind of drives me nuts. It's like he's constantly seeking validation for his work.

JBucc
04-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Whatever they decide I think I'll be ok with it. Having a lot of picks is exciting, but so is a D-line with Allen, Ellis/Dorsey, and Hali.

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 01:48 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/747951.html
So Hunt has a tough decision to make, because no matter what happens, it will be his first major move since his father passed away.

How is the decision to give LJ $19 million in guarantees this past August not his first major move (and failure)??

You guys are just too f*cking soft on this pathetic excuse for a front office and owner.

bowener
04-20-2008, 01:53 PM
GOATSE how much time do you spend on 4chan?

Count Zarth
04-20-2008, 01:56 PM
GOATSE how much time do you spend on 4chan?

LOL...none. Not sure what you are implying.

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Damnit, gochiefs this better not be a bullshit rumor!!!!!!!!!

KC Tattoo
04-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Whatever they decide I think I'll be ok with it. Having a lot of picks is exciting, but so is a D-line with Allen, Ellis/Dorsey, and Hali.

I'm ok with it too, either way. We need to do something right for a change with out having Carl Peterson mucking it up for us.. Damnet Carl:cuss:

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Damnet

This is the second time I've seen you use this word - what is it?

Some sort of new beaver-building architecture?

KC Tattoo
04-20-2008, 02:31 PM
This is the second time I've seen you use this word - what is it?

Some sort of new beaver-building architecture?

Is Damnit better?

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Is Damnit better?

Ah, now I get it :evil:

penchief
04-20-2008, 04:07 PM
How is the decision to give LJ $19 million in guarantees this past August not his first major move (and failure)??

You guys are just too f*cking soft on this pathetic excuse for a front office and owner.

Blah, blah, blah...

19 Mil guaranteed for a talent of LJ's caliber is a drop of the bucket in today's market. The fact that this team doesn't use him properly as a big play weapon by giving him the ball in open space (instead of ramming him up the center's ass) isn't his fault.

LJ is a top offensive weapon in this league and his contract is reasonable considering the outrageous nature of contracts these days.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Blah, blah, blah...

19 Mil guaranteed for a talent of LJ's caliber is a drop of the bucket in today's market. The fact that this team doesn't use him properly as a big play weapon by giving him the ball in open space (instead of ramming him up the center's ass) isn't his fault.

LJ is a top offensive weapon in this league and his contract is reasonable considering the outrageous nature of contracts these days.

LJ is starting to look like a bargain. Some people act as if front office personnel should be mind readers and know in advance whether a guy will perform "with money" the same way he did with "rookie money". There's really no way to tell. LJ was a steal at the time, and he may be the thief before it's over. Fact is, we don't know that for sure yet.

Mecca
04-20-2008, 04:18 PM
You don't pay RB's that's simple business......look how easy they are to find.

jjchieffan
04-20-2008, 04:32 PM
You don't pay RB's that's simple business......look how easy they are to find.

You are so right Mecca. That is why Washington traded Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis, and why the Denver running game, though still good, has not been as good since. It is why Jimmy Johnson drafted Emmitt Smith, and why they lost nearly every game he did not play in. Denver never could win a SB until they found Terrell Davis. If running backs are so easy to come by, then why did TB trade us a draft pick for Bennet last year. Obviously, dependable running backs are a commodity. Until we found Holmes, we certainly weren't finding them too easy. But now, after having Holmes and LJ, you suddenly think running backs are a dime a dozen. Tell me, do you ever stop talking out your ass?

Mecca
04-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh for the love of god if you think comparing 1992 to right now is valid that is on you and if you think Portis for Bailey was a good trade for Washington I laugh at you.

J Diddy
04-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh for the love of god if you think comparing 1992 to right now is valid that is on you and if you think Portis for Bailey was a good trade for Washington I laugh at you.

so in the last couple of years running backs became a dime a dozen?

Mecca
04-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Look at how deep that position in the league is...how many teams don't have a good RB? a handful..some teams have more than 1 good one, there's guys in the draft every single year, plus they breakdown to fast to warrant big 2nd contracts..

Look at how the Colts handled the position that is how it should be done.

Brock
04-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Something has changed from the mid-90s when running backs were at a premium. Maybe it has something to do with the officiating, offensive lines may be getting away with a lot more than they used to.

Adept Havelock
04-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Something has changed from the mid-90s when running backs were at a premium. Maybe it has something to do with the officiating, offensive lines may be getting away with a lot more than they used to.

That may be one reason the VP of officiating said there will be a greater emphasis on holding calls this year.

Too many holds being ignored would make a lot of RB's look much better than they are.

With Peyton Manning at QB, I suspect Frank Moreau would put up decent numbers.

J Diddy
04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Look at how deep that position in the league is...how many teams don't have a good RB? a handful..some teams have more than 1 good one, there's guys in the draft every single year, plus they breakdown to fast to warrant big 2nd contracts..

colts gave edge a second contract

Brock
04-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Greg Hill would probably be a badass in today's league. Just my feeling on it.

Mecca
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
colts gave edge a second contract

They knew when to walk away....he's still just 29 years old, I don't think people realize that.

Mr. Laz
04-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Blah, blah, blah...

please ..... there were many people saying that it was a bad idea to give LJ big money.

there were all sorts of warning flags

they shouldn't of given Priest Holmes big money either considering the circumstances.

any YES ..... people said that BEFORE they did it too.

Count Zarth
04-20-2008, 05:36 PM
What will people say if Larry rushes for 1500 this year?

Adept Havelock
04-20-2008, 05:41 PM

I suspect: "Who the hell replaced our front 5 with NFL caliber starting linemen?"

Mecca
04-20-2008, 05:42 PM

What will people say if he breaks his other foot, if this and if that you have to approach things with logical foresight. Logical foresight says you don't pay a RB when he just broke the carry record.

People need to get a good handle on something, championship teams aren't built around RB's and TE's.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Can Clark sign JA and shitcan Carl? That would be nice.

jjchieffan
04-20-2008, 05:52 PM
What will people say if he breaks his other foot, if this and if that you have to approach things with logical foresight. Logical foresight says you don't pay a RB when he just broke the carry record.

People need to get a good handle on something, championship teams aren't built around RB's and TE's.

How is it that you are not an NFL GM? I just don't get it. You are a draft god. You know exactly how to build a championship caliber team. Genius like yours is so rare, I just can't understand why you are not the GM for the Redskins or the 49ers or something.

Skip Towne
04-20-2008, 05:56 PM
If RB's are so plentiful, why is McFadden projected to go so high in the draft?

Mecca
04-20-2008, 05:58 PM
If RB's are so plentiful, why is McFadden projected to go so high in the draft?

Why is he being knocked by others at the same time?

Using a premium pick, unless you are close, on a player that may peak and be done after 3-5 years is not smart. The position is to plentiful and easy to fill with cheaper players to make a pick like that.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
How is it that you are not an NFL GM? I just don't get it. You are a draft god. You know exactly how to build a championship caliber team. Genius like yours is so rare, I just can't understand why you are not the GM for the Redskins or the 49ers or something.He refuses to cut his hair...:D

Mecca
04-20-2008, 06:02 PM
He refuses to cut his hair...:D

Most of it is simple, you take the plan the successful teams use and apply it, it's not brain surgery.

You value positions over others based on how easy they are to come by and how important they are.

It's pretty obvious when you sit down to make your cap breakdown of how much money you can spend on each position (every team should do this) with more money allocated to the most important positions.

It doesn't take but 5 seconds to realize that RB and TE don't pop up on most important offensive positions to at the earliest 4, if you do team it gets lower than that.

Brock
04-20-2008, 06:17 PM
How is it that you are not an NFL GM? I just don't get it. You are a draft god. You know exactly how to build a championship caliber team. Genius like yours is so rare, I just can't understand why you are not the GM for the Redskins or the 49ers or something.

It's not like it takes a rocket scientist to see how the successful teams got there.

Mr. Laz
04-20-2008, 06:18 PM

the same thing i said after his 1st good year

"trade him while his value is high ... he's a dick. He has an attitude problem that will be the team in the ass in the future. He will be DOA by the time the rest of the team is reading to compete anyway"

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Blah, blah, blah...

You're completely missing the point:

The article stated "So Hunt has a tough decision to make, because no matter what happens, it will be his first major move since his father passed away."

Are you telling me that giving LJ a $19 million dollar bonus (the largest in franchise history) wasn't the first major decision?

WTF?

Count Zarth
04-20-2008, 07:26 PM
You're completely missing the point:

The article stated "So Hunt has a tough decision to make, because no matter what happens, it will be his first major move since his father passed away."

Are you telling me that giving LJ a $19 million dollar bonus (the largest in franchise history) wasn't the first major decision?

WTF?

It's a matter of opinion, I guess. The Larry thing was going to get done eventually. There was never any real chance of him going somewhere else. It never escalated to the degree that this Jared Allen thing has.

Besides, for all we know the Larry thing was on Carl...

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 07:45 PM
It's a matter of opinion, I guess. The Larry thing was going to get done eventually. There was never any real chance of him going somewhere else. It never escalated to the degree that this Jared Allen thing has.

Besides, for all we know the Larry thing was on Carl...

Regardless, it was a HUGE decision on the part of Clark Hunt to shell out $19 million dollars.

Not $900,000 dollars.

Not even $9 Million dollars.

$19 Million.

To imply that giving any player $19 million dollars (especially after a 400+ carry season) is a simple, unimportant decision is ludicrous.

I know you're defending your employer but come on. That was not only wrong, it wasn't even factual.

Count Zarth
04-20-2008, 07:48 PM
That was not only wrong, it wasn't even factual.

I don't see it that way. I don't think there was ever really a A vs B decision involved. They were going to go through with it from the beginning. There was no other option.

markk
04-20-2008, 07:51 PM
what a dumb article....

meaningless throwaway about how he likes Allen

deriding wilf for not knowing how to win because maybe he doesn't want to turn over two first round picks? as if the chiefs ownership has known anything but ineptitude in the postseason?

you cant even quantify what if anything the point of this was. i am stupider for reading it.

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't see it that way. I don't think there was ever really a A vs B decision involved. They were going to go through with it from the beginning. There was no other option.

Just because you THINK that Hunt was going to pay someone a $19 million dollar signing bonus doesn't negate the fact that it's a HUGE decision that could impact the franchise for a minimum of 3 years.

What about that don't you understand?

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
what a dumb article....

deriding wilf for not knowing how to win because maybe he doesn't want to turn over two first round picks? as if the chiefs ownership has known anything but ineptitude in the postseason?

you cant even quantify what if anything the point of this was. i am stupider for reading it.

You are stupider :doh!:

StcChief
04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
You have to think Clark has the ultimate say, it's a franchise player.....

Fat Elvis
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
what a dumb article....

We Pwn the Vikings....

Super Bowl IV, bitches!

Allen would be a fuggin' idiot to walk away from that heritage.