PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Married folk: What's the most you've ever spent without consulting the spouse?

Rain Man
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Hypothetical: You're visiting New York, and some guy in a sharkskin suit and those black and white shoes tells you that the City is selling the rights to the Brooklyn Bridge. Your wife is napping back in the hotel, and you'd like to discuss it with her, but the sharkskin guy already has another prospect. Buy it now, or it's gone...what do you do?

Along those lines, what's the largest amount of money you've ever spent without making a joint decision with your spouse? The following rules apply:

1. With the exception below, the purchase has to be a surprise to the spouse, in that he/she did not know you were buying the item at all. So something like buying a new car she hasn't seen doesn't count if she knows that you're out shopping for a new car.

2. The lone exception would be a budget aberration. For example, you and your spouse agree that you're going to go out and buy a car, and you've jointly agreed that you're budget limit is $20,000. If you then spent $30,000, you can respond "$10,000" in the poll.

Bonus question: did you tell your spouse the full truth about the cost, or did you intentionally underreport the amount spent?

Clarification: Do not count gifts to said spouse unless the gift was something to the family, i.e., something where you personally benefit as well.

KCChiefsMan
04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I was dating a girl for about 5 or 6 months, and I bought myself a new TV and she was pissed that I didn't spend it on her instead and I mean, she was MAD! that one didn't last too much longer after that episode

Mr. Plow
04-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Do surprise trips count?

Rain Man
04-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Do surprise trips count?

Yes.

As a related clarification, you may count gifts to said spouse only if they are gifts from which you also benefit. Buying a bejeweled ring for spouse does not count. Buying a trip for you and your spouse does count.

Rain Man
04-20-2008, 05:24 PM
I was dating a girl for about 5 or 6 months, and I bought myself a new TV and she was pissed that I didn't spend it on her instead and I mean, she was MAD! that one didn't last too much longer after that episode

Definitely a red flag.

stlchiefs
04-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm not married, but my soon to be Father in Law purchased a $45-50k car without telling his wife that he was even shopping for a new car. He just showed up one night and his old one was gone and the new one in the driveway. Must be nice.

Rain Man
04-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Not counting gifts to her, I think my largest expenditure was on a tuxedo. She was taking me to a black tie event, and I figured I would rent a tuxedo, but there were none available. I bought one for about $900 to $1,000, and told her later (and gave an accurate accounting). She had no problem with it.

I think that was my biggest. On the non-eligible gift front, I bought her an upgraded wedding band a few years ago that was a very notable cost of which she wasn't aware, but she had been wanting one, so it wasn't a huge surprise or anything and had been tacitly pre-approved.

Rain Man
04-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm not married, but my soon to be Father in Law purchased a $45-50k car without telling his wife that he was even shopping for a new car. He just showed up one night and his old one was gone and the new one in the driveway. Must be nice.

I have a cousin whose ex-husband used to do that a lot, though the dollar values were lower. Every so often, he'd just show up with a brand spanking new car, and it would infuriate her, though not as much as when he started showing up with new girlfriends. He was really a jerk.

Count Zarth
04-20-2008, 05:38 PM

How can women react this way? WTF? Do they think the universe revolves around them?

KCFalcon59
04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Do they think the universe revolves around them?

Yes!

kstater
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
How can women react this way? WTF? Do they think the universe revolves around them?

Once your balls finally drop you will figure out why they do what they do.

stlchiefs
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
WTF? Do they think the universe revolves around them?

If you still can't answer that question you're further from getting laid (by a person of the opposite sex) than most of us even imagined.

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
I have a cousin whose ex-husband used to do that a lot, though the dollar values were lower. Every so often, he'd just show up with a brand spanking new car, and it would infuriate her, though not as much as when he started showing up with new girlfriends. He was really a jerk.

Was she fine with his old girlfriends?

blueballs
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
You allow them to speak
without requesting it so
the pussification of america continues

Bwana
04-20-2008, 08:38 PM
$10,001 to $40,000, and I reported it accurately. (I wear the pants around here.)

alanm
04-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Have women ever learned that it's best not to come between a guy and his TV? :shake:

alanm
04-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Once your balls finally drop you will figure out why they do what they do.
I still don't know why they do what they do. And really.. no man ever will. :spock:

Rain Man
04-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Was she fine with his old girlfriends?

I don't think any of them ever got old.