PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jared Allen Update: April 20, 2008 - 8:56 PM

T-post Tom
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Just want you wanted :)

Allen departs, but for how long?
The Kansas City defensive end left impressed after a weekend visit. A visit to Tampa Bay looms, but the Vikings can offer more than the Bucs in compensation.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune
Last update: April 20, 2008 - 8:56 PM
Jared Allen

Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen returned home on Sunday, but the Vikings remained optimistic he will be wearing purple before next weekend's NFL draft.

Allen completed his two-day visit with the Vikings on Saturday -- NFL rules allow the team to have him in town for only 48 hours -- and clearly things went well. "I can't really go into anything now outside of how impressed [Jared] has been with the organization here," Allen's agent, Ken Harris, wrote in an e-mail. "Myself, too."

Allen reportedly is scheduled tentatively to meet with the Buccaneers in the early to middle part of the week in Tampa, Fla.

Allen, 26, who led the NFL with 15.5 sacks last season despite missing two games, remains property of the Kansas City Chiefs, who placed the organization's franchise tag on him. The Vikings, thus, must not only work out a multiyear contract with Allen that will make him one of the league's highest-paid defensive players but also are trying to complete a deal to obtain his rights from the Chiefs.

The Vikings appear willing to send the 17th overall pick in the first round, as well as the first of their two third-round selections (No. 73), to Kansas City to get one of the league's premier pass-rushing ends.

The Vikings might have to wait for a few days to see if this deal gets done -- especially if Allen heads to Tampa for his visit. Keep in mind that trip might not happen; it's likely the Chiefs are already trying to play the Vikings against the Buccaneers in trade talks.

The Bucs, however, are not positioned as well as the Vikings to give up 2008 picks to a Chiefs team that is rebuilding after a 4-12 finish last season and is attempting to stockpile selections. Kansas City has 10 picks in the upcoming draft, including two in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds.

While the Vikings have nine selections, the Buccaneers have only five. Tampa Bay's first-round pick, which certainly would have to go to Kansas City in any deal for Allen, falls three selections after the Vikings'.

blueballs
04-20-2008, 08:13 PM
If Allen had signed or agreed to a deal
I'd consider this news

Sully
04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Anyone notice the search function hasn't been working lately?

StcChief
04-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Pretty fair to think he'd at least explore Tampa....

Douche Baggins
04-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Let's sign Hugh Douglas to replace Allen.

BigRock
04-20-2008, 08:41 PM
So they put a full court press on him for 2 straight days and couldn't get him to agree to a deal? Piss off, Vikings. Quit wasting our time.

blueballs
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Jared will milk this for all it's worth
Tampa - Jacksonville - on and on

royr17
04-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I wouldnt get all depressed about this just yet guys.

For all we know there could be a deal in place already and they arent going to announce it until friday.

I mean we never know on these things. Remember Michael Smith of ESPN said that there was an agreement in place and that the vikings per going to send there 1st and 3rd and a 2nd next year to us.

Jay Glazer even reported it and he's a reliable source. I very well expect Jared Allen will be traded before the draft.

Direckshun
04-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Neither team wants to agree to a deal. They want to come as close as possible without actually signing a dotted line so they don't risk losing two 1sts.

They'd rather trade for Allen, and at this point I think they're probably just waiting the Chiefs out to see if we flinch. This is why I hate Carl Peterson more than anything -- his antagonistic approach to turn everything into a staring contest. Everything's drawn out, giving all parties involved 1,000 opportunities to second-guess themselves, lose interest, and leave the table.

SNR
04-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Neither team wants to agree to a deal. They want to come as close as possible without actually signing a dotted line so they don't risk losing two 1sts.

They'd rather trade for Allen, and at this point I think they're probably just waiting the Chiefs out to see if we flinch. This is why I hate Carl Peterson more than anything -- his antagonistic approach to turn everything into a staring contest. Everything's drawn out, giving all parties involved 1,000 opportunities to second-guess themselves, lose interest, and leave the table.One man's antagonistic approach negotiator is another man's tough SOB negotiator

blueballs
04-20-2008, 09:10 PM
agreeing in principle would have been plastered all over the newspapers and internet

SBK
04-20-2008, 09:11 PM
At this point I'd prefer someone signs him to an offer sheet. There's no better outcome than 2 1st rounders for us. Regardless of when they arrive.

Dick Bull
04-20-2008, 09:11 PM

They'd rather trade for Allen, and at this point I think they're probably just waiting the Chiefs out to see if we flinch. This is why I hate Carl Peterson more than anything -- his antagonistic approach to turn everything into a staring contest. Everything's drawn out, giving all parties involved 1,000 opportunities to second-guess themselves, lose interest, and leave the table.

Carl has the nuts hand and you act upset that he isn't folding it.

Here are the two scenarios:1) we get 2 first round draft picks
2)we keep jared allen

anything less than that carl sucks

Groves
04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
What are Jared's options if he gets kept here?

Can he hold out? what are the consequences for that?

Pitt Gorilla
04-20-2008, 10:53 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Carl is playing this correctly. He's letting the Vikings and Bucs set the market for Jared and will get either 1) 2 first rounders (or something comparable) or 2) Jared Allen at a contract that someone he doesn't hate helped to negotiate.

Carl could still f this up, but he's playing it correctly so far.

Direckshun
04-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Yes, I understand. I know he's playing it well.

I'm just impatient, is all.

Chris Meck
04-21-2008, 01:39 AM
I disagree. Well, not that Carl is playing this correctly, because he is. But I disagree that anything other than two number 1's means failure.

Look, Allen doesn't want to be here. He thinks he's been disrespected. I don't think so, I think he's childish. Regardless, he doesn't want to be here.

He's a big risk. I wouldn't give him a big money, long term deal either. I love him as a player, but his track record off the field speaks for itself. One clean year does not have me convinced.

Do you really want a guy around that doesn't want to be here? Hell no. Bad for the team. I say let him walk.

What's cool here is-The Vikings probably offered their no.1 and no.3. Chiefs said no...now The Bucs have a lower first and third, so to beat the Minny offer...they might have to offer a first and second.

Which I would take in a heartbeat.

Chris

Mr. Flopnuts
04-21-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm starting to feel like Carl is like the president of Marshall begging the NCAA to let freshmen play.

Bob Dole
04-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Look, Allen doesn't want to be here. He thinks he's been disrespected. I don't think so, I think he's childish. Regardless, he doesn't want to be here.

Yeah. Saying he would like to stay in KC would be a much better bargaining strategy, so it must be true that he wants out.

DenverChief
04-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Anyone notice the search function hasn't been working lately?

LMAO this has got to be a running joke by now

TEX
04-21-2008, 05:55 AM
At this point I'd prefer someone signs him to an offer sheet. There's no better outcome than 2 1st rounders for us. Regardless of when they arrive.

Yep. If I were CP, I'd just say this is the only outcome acceptable. If you don't like it - too bad. Either do it or move on. Have a plan worked out going into the draft for either scenario.

FWIW, I hope the Vikes do nothing until after the draft. That way if we don't match the offer, we get their 1st round picks in '09 & '10. We would get nothing now, and that's okay because I have ZERO faith that Dumb and Dumber can successfuully rebuild the team. I'd rather have multiple # 1 picks just sitting there waiting for the new GM and coach to have at thier disposal.

boogblaster
04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
We need JA but .. The team comes first .. Get all you can for him and play ball ....

Pestilence
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm happy with either a 1st and 2nd this year....or their 1st round picks in 2009 and 2010. Crazier things have happened.....but having a winning season is not a guarantee for them. They still have Jackson at QB....and their WR/TEs are nothing to write home about.

Even if they end up picking anywhere from 20-25.....that's still another pick in the 1st round that we'll have.

Dick Bull
04-21-2008, 09:19 AM
What are Jared's options if he gets kept here?

Can he hold out? what are the consequences for that?

He's not gonna sign a contract with us, and if he signs in MN there's almost a guarantee of some kind of poison pill. If we match it he's under contract and will be no need to hold out, if we don't we get two firsts

ChiefButthurt
04-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Kinda funny....everyone is optimistic that the Chiefs would do something productive with the draft picks gotten in an Allen trade.

Frazod
04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm starting to feel like Carl is like the president of Marshall begging the NCAA to let freshmen play.

Works for me. That guy got fired when the season was over.

beach tribe
04-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah. Saying he would like to stay in KC would be a much better bargaining strategy, so it must be true that he wants out.

Good point Bob Dole.

Almost every franchised, and many other players looking for a payady do this.

Will Shields said the same thing.

I thought Lance Briggs said he would NEVER play for the Bears again.

It's ALL about the dough.

beach tribe
04-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't know what it is, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Jared is not leaving.

All good judgement tells me I'm wrong, but something just doesn't seem right.

Pestilence
04-21-2008, 10:56 AM
www.rotoworld.com

The Vikings' contract proposal to Chiefs franchise player Jared Allen is believed to be worth $50-60 million over six seasons.

Roughly $25 million would be guaranteed. The K.C. Star reported late Sunday that the sides were close to an agreement, but this offer seems low. Dwight Freeney got $72 million over six years with $30 million guaranteed. Allen is more of an off-field risk, but has much better size and is younger.

Radar Chief
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Good point Bob Dole.

Almost every franchised, and many other players looking for a payady do this.

Will Shields said the same thing.

I thought Lance Briggs said he would NEVER play for the Bears again.

It's ALL about the dough.

Tough SOB negotiating. ;)

Warrior5
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't know what it is, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Jared is not leaving.

All good judgement tells me I'm wrong, but something just doesn't seem right.

Yep.

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
The Vikings have increased their offer. That's all you get to know unless you're a premium subscriber at Scout.com.

We also have contract numbers.

OnTheWarpath58
04-21-2008, 12:25 PM
The Vikings have increased their offer. That's all you get to know unless you're a premium subscriber at Scout.com.

Offer to Allen, or offer to the Chiefs in terms of picks?

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Offer to Allen, or offer to the Chiefs in terms of picks?

http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=2&c=748330

The Vikings increased their offer to the Chiefs in attempting to land defensive end Jared Allen in a trade, according to a league source. Find out more inside.

OnTheWarpath58
04-21-2008, 12:27 PM
http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=2&c=748330

Yeah, I saw you clarified after I had quoted and replied.

Thanks.

Micjones
04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Is it safe to assume that they're offering a 1 and a 2?

OnTheWarpath58
04-21-2008, 12:33 PM

That would be the logical increase from a 1/3, wouldn't it?

You should ask to be paid for that brilliant insight.

:D

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:34 PM

I am not at liberty to speak on the issue any further.

I will say you are wrong, though.

Micjones
04-21-2008, 12:34 PM
That would be the logical increase from a 1/3, wouldn't it?

You should ask to be paid for that brilliant insight.

:D

I would imagine that a 1/3/4 would be higher than a 1/3 combo, but what do I know? Smartass.
:rolleyes:

Micjones
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM

Fair enough.

Good deal.
*Paging OTW*

MVChiefFan
04-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I would imagine that a 1/3/4 would be higher than a 1/3 combo, but what do I know? Smartass.

ROFL

bogey
04-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Dude, really, Until you're at liberty to speak, stay away.

OnTheWarpath58
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Actually, I was knocking WPI, not you.

BigRedChief
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM

I understand info is a business but this nugget ain't worth $100.

OnTheWarpath58
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Take away the 2 zeros, and it's still not worth it.

bogey
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM

QFT!

bogey
04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Man oh man, I am shocked at the whoring the goes on by WPI.

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:42 PM

It's a full article. You can pay by the month, you know. Lots of people do.

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Man oh man, I am shocked at the whoring the goes on by WPI.

PARDON ME if I wanted to alert people to news on the Jared Allen situation.

dirk digler
04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
So Clayton what are the odds that the Chiefs and Vikes make a deal?

BTW thanks for the info.

Sully
04-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey guys!

I was wanting to use the search feature to find out where I could spend...ohh...somewhere between $95 and $100 for some amateurs to speculate on something Chiefs related. it would be a bonus if said amateurs could "break" some news 5 minutes after the entire free world knows about it, as well.
I'm not picky about accuracy.

But since the search feature is down, I guess I'm outta luck.

bogey
PARDON ME if I wanted to alert people to news on the Jared Allen situation.

I guess I missed the part that is news.

OnTheWarpath58
Hey guys!

I was wanting to use the search feature to find out where I could spend...ohh...somewhere between $95 and $100 for some amateurs to speculate on something Chiefs related. it would be a bonus if said amateurs could "break" some news 5 minutes after the entire free world knows about it, as well.
I'm not picky about accuracy.

But since the search feature is down, I guess I'm outta luck.

ROFL

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
So Clayton what are the odds that the Chiefs and Vikes make a deal?

BTW thanks for the info.

I'd say the offer from the Vikings was fair. The contract numbers make me think the Chiefs could easily match if they wanted to.

dirk digler
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
According to scouts.com the Vikings increased their offer to 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd in 09.

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Booooo. Thieves everywhere.

dirk digler
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Also the reported deal is between $50-60 million and $25 million is guaranteed.

If that is the case why don' the Chiefs just pay him that?

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Also the reported deal is between $50-60 million and $25 million is guaranteed.

If that is the case why don' the Chiefs just pay him that?

They'd rather have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd I guess.

BigRedChief
According to scouts.com the Vikings increased their offer to 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd in 09.
NFLdraftcountdown.com is saying the same thing.

bogey
I'd say the offer from the Vikings was fair. The contract numbers make me think the Chiefs could easily match if they wanted to.

Seriously, why do people pay $100. to get information from WPI, that they will get 10 minutes later from some place for free. I just don't get it. If they're offering stock options that are important because of timely investments, I get it. But sports news that we will get 10 minutes later, somewhere else makes no sense to me.

Sure-Oz
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Seriously, why do people pay $100. to get information from WPI, that they will get 10 minutes later from some place for free. I just don't get it. If they're offering stock options that are important because of timely investments, I get it. But sports news that we will get 10 minutes later, somewhere else makes no sense to me.

Cause they are dumbasses, hell i'll call them right away with info if they give me $100

bogey

My point exactly.

dirk digler
They'd rather have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd I guess.

I guess. BTW I didn't steal that from WPI I don't have a premium account.

If I was the Chiefs I would ask for #1 and #2 this year and the #3rd next year.

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM

It's not always available later for free. In fact, there's news on our board that still hasn't come out.

The fact that some people will steal it doesn't mean people shouldn't pay for it.

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I guess. BTW I didn't steal that from WPI I don't have a premium account.

If I was the Chiefs I would ask for #1 and #2 this year and the #3rd next year.

Yeah I know, you're a good guy. The douchebag on the ESPN forums ain't.

OnTheWarpath58
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
NFLdraftcountdown.com is saying the same thing.

http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=748330&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fmin.scout.com%2f2%2f748330.html

WPI didn't even break the story. A scout reporter in Minneapolis did.

Micjones
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
A 1/2, 2009 #3?

Mmm... Good offer, but...
I think I just resign him or wait for them to fork over the two future #1's.

Douche Baggins
04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=748330&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fmin.scout.com%2f2%2f748330.html

Nah, he used information from Nick. We share.

bogey
04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
It's not always available later for free. In fact, there's news on our board that still hasn't come out.

The fact that some people will steal it doesn't mean people shouldn't pay for it.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL WPI is very lucky to have such a dedicated employee. To me, you're whoring that website and to me, you come off as immature on here and it has a negative effect no your company. If I feel that way, I can't help but imagine that several others feel the same.

Guru
04-21-2008, 01:03 PM

OMG ROFL:clap: