PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Covitz-NFL draft: Evaluating the centers

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 12:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/584488.html

NFL draft: Evaluating the centers

This is the ninth in a series examining positions leading into the Saturday-Sunday NFL draft.

Top five prospects

Player, school Ht. Wt. Comment
Mike Pollak, Arizona State 6-31/2 301 All Pac-10 selection
Steve Justice, Wake Forest 6-3 3/8 293 All-ACC in 2006-07
John Sullivan, Notre Dame 6-3 1/2 301 Could play guard, too
Doug Legursky, Marshall 6-1 1/4 323 Two-year captain
Kory Lichtensteiger, Bowling Green 6-2 1/4 298 Had shoulder injury
Big 12 prospects

Player, school Ht. Wt. Comment
Cody Wallace, Texas A&M 6-4 1/8 296 Made 37 straight starts
Adam Spieker, Missouri 6-2 1/8 308 Started all 49 games at MU
•SLEEPER: Tim McCutcheon of Division II California (Pa.) is the only player in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference history to earn first-team all-league recognition at three different positions — tackle in 2004 and 2007, guard in 2005 and center in 2006.

•FUN FACT: SMU’s Ben Poynter is enrolled in the school’s Professional MBA graduate program, where the average age of the students is 29.

•CHIEFS’ NEEDS: The Chiefs are considering moving veteran Brian Waters to center. Otherwise, if the season were to open today, the Chiefs’ starting center would be converted guard Rudy Niswanger, who is coming off major knee surgery. This is a big need.

kcchiefsus
04-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Converted guard? Since when is Niswanger a converted guard? He just about every offensive line position at LSU but center was his primary position. Converted guard my ass.

CoMoChief
04-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Spieker is an animal in a spread maybe more of a cut blocking scheme, though he would get completely destroyed in our run it up the centers ass type running game

suds79
04-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Didn't we just have the problem with Casey and his 285 lb weak @$$?

Outside of the Marshall kid, they all seem a little light in the pants if you ask me.

kcchiefsus
04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Didn't we just have the problem with Casey and his 285 lb weak @$$?

Outside of the Marshall kid, they all seem a little light in the pants if you ask me.

Uhhh, the average center is around 300 pounds. So guys like Pollak and Sullivan are just about the right size for the center position.

sedated
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Legursky is a great name for an offensive lineman

Chief Faithful
04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm very intrigued by John Sullivan. He seems to be a real athlete with his wrestling and swimming background so I think he could play both center and guard. Plus, Notre Dame is a good program for OLinemen.

Mecca
04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
This isn't a good year for interior lineman, a guy like Sullivan to me profiles out as a career backup.....I'm not sure any of those guys will be good starters.

kcchiefsus
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
This isn't a good year for interior lineman, a guy like Sullivan to me profiles out as a career backup.....I'm not sure any of those guys will be good starters.

I think you are mistaken about Mike Pollak. He will never be a superstar but since when is center a superstar position? IMO Pollak is more than capable of starting at center for the next 7 or 8 years.

Mecca
04-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I think you are mistaken about Mike Pollak. He will never be a superstar but since when is center a superstar position? IMO Pollak is more than capable of starting at center for the next 7 or 8 years.

Possibly, but he's not a top level prospect by any means, kinda sad after Chilo Rachal most of the best guard prospects become guys who can convert from OT.

suds79
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Uhhh, the average center is around 300 pounds. So guys like Pollak and Sullivan are just about the right size for the center position.

Yeah and I don't doubt that.

My question is why? I mean Guards are routinely 315+ in the NFL and they pull on certain plays.

I just wonder why you don't see bigger Centers more often. Given our power running attach we're going with, I'd think a guy like that would be better suited to handle those 320 DTs.