PDA

View Full Version : keg - Wash Post

keg in kc
08-13-2001, 12:48 AM
It's always interesting to get the other teams' opinion... ;)

Opening Night Headache (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/leaguesandsports/nfl/20002001/washingtonredskins/A2744-2001Aug13.html)
Reserve Quarterbacks Fail to Produce Points

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 13, 2001; Page D1

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Aug. 12 Marty Schottenheimer's debut as the Washington Redskins' head coach produced a virtually across-the-board breakdown. Todd Husak did little to cement his place as a reliable backup quarterback, and the Washington Redskins stumbled their way to a 20-0 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs tonight at Arrowhead Stadium.

New Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil helped talk Schottenheimer into taking the Redskins' job in January. But tonight, Vermeil made the competitive unveiling of Schottenheimer's Redskins a miserable experience for his friend. Schottenheimer received a mixture of cheers and boos from the crowd when he was introduced before the game in his return to Kansas City, and his evening deteriorated from there.

With starting quarterback Jeff George resting his ailing throwing shoulder on the sideline, the struggles of the Redskins' reserve quarterbacks were on display. Husak completed 3 of 10 passes for 27 yards and an interception. The Redskins had two first downs and 32 yards of total offense in the first half before turning over matters to the youngsters in the second half.

Rookie quarterback Sage Rosenfels also had a rough night. He did have one good moment, though, connecting with rookie wide receiver Darnerien McCants on a 28-yard completion in the fourth quarter. That moved the Redskins to the Kansas City 5-yard line, but they failed to get any points when Rosenfels threw a fourth-down incompletion.

The Chiefs raced to a 20-point lead in the first half and never looked back. Quarterback Trent Green hit wide receiver Derrick Mayes with a 29-yard touchdown pass after Mayes outmaneuvered Redskins cornerback Donovan Greer. The Redskins also collapsed on special teams, permitting a touchdown on a 92-yard punt return by Dante Hall. Their only consolation was that they apparently avoided any other major injuries on a night when they were without George, tight end Stephen Alexander and defensive ends Bruce Smith and Marco Coleman.

The Redskins' starting defense forced a punt on Kansas City's opening possession, and Pro Bowl kick returner Michael Bates, getting a look on punt returns, went 13 yards. But things quickly got ugly for the Redskins.

They used a spread formation on their first offensive play splitting out two running backs and a tight end as well as the two wide receivers but Husak threw incomplete for wideout Michael Westbrook on a slant pattern. Husak connected with wide receiver Kevin Lockett for a 14-yard gain on the next play. But his throws were off target, and he wasn't getting much help from the other members of the offense.

Tailback Stephen Davis was stuffed for a three-yard loss. Husak threw incomplete for Westbrook on a ball that nearly was intercepted on the carom, and Chiefs defensive end Duane Clemons beat left tackle Chris Samuels for a third-down sack.

The Chiefs offense held the ball for 14 plays and moved 83 yards against the Redskins' starting defense before a 23-yard field goal from Todd Peterson opened a 3-0 lead. Running back Priest Holmes ran up the middle for 17 yards to open the drive, and the Chiefs picked up yardage in large chunks before stalling at the Redskins 5-yard line.

The Redskins went three plays and out on offense, with Husak again throwing wide of Westbrook on third down. Washington went to mostly second-string players on defense, and the Chiefs wasted no time increasing their advantage to 10-0. Tight end Mikhael Ricks beat Redskins rookie linebacker Antonio Pierce and grabbed Green's pass along the sideline for a 33-yard gain to the Redskins 24.

The Chiefs were penalized for delay of game, but then Greer was victimized by Mayes. The wide receiver got away from Greer and cut toward the middle of the field, and Green put his throw on target for the touchdown. Greer, who was signed by the Redskins as a free agent during the offseason, is competing with Darrell Green and second-round draft choice Fred Smoot for the starting cornerback spot opposite Champ Bailey. But he didn't help his cause tonight. Green had an uneventful evening, while Smoot demonstrated some solid coverage skills.

The Redskins picked up a first down on a pair of runs by Davis, and Husak hit Lockett for his second completion and a six-yard gain. Backup tailback Ki-Jana Carter ran for three yards, but fullback Donnell Bennett was stopped on third and one. Schottenheimer left his offense on the field on fourth and one, but the Redskins couldn't get organized in time and Husak called time out. The offense returned to the field and the Redskins lined up for a play, but still couldn't get the snap off. Husak tried to call another timeout. But NFL rules prohibit back-to-back timeouts, and the Redskins were charged with an automatic delay of game penalty.

That was bad, but things quickly got worse. The Redskins were mistake-prone on special teams in recent seasons under former head coach Norv Turner and former special teams coach LeCharls McDaniel. That seems likely to change under Schottenheimer, whose clubs always have been solid on special teams. He brought along respected special teams coach Mike Stock. He signed a series of special teams players in the offseason. He devotes plenty of time and energy to special teams on the practice field, and he has said that the final few spots on the season-opening roster will go to players who excel on special teams. But the early returns were not particularly encouraging.

Barker launched a 52-yard punt to the Chiefs 8, but the Redskins' coverage broke down. Hall caught the ball near the left sideline and cut to the middle of the field. Redskins long snapper Ethan Albright hustled down field but was blocked. Hall got around Lloyd Harrison and sprinted into the clear, outracing Barker as he moved across the field to the right sideline. Justin Skaggs kept hustling and nearly tripped Hall inside the Redskins 5, but Hall kept his balance and got into the end zone.

Husak threw his next pass into the hands of Kansas City linebacker Marvcus Patton, but the former Redskin dropped the prospective interception. Husak managed a seven-yard completion to wide receiver Derrius Thompson, but took a hard hit on a third-down sack by blitzing linebacker Glenn Cadrez. Todd Collins took over for Trent Green at quarterback and moved the Chiefs into range for Lawrence Tynes's 22-yard field goal and a 20-0 lead 1:57 before halftime.

keg in kc
08-13-2001, 12:51 AM
The Redskins were mistake-prone on special teams in recent seasons under former head coach Norv Turner and former special teams coach LeCharls McDaniel. That seems likely to change under Schottenheimer, whose clubs always have been solid on special teams. He brought along respected special teams coach Mike Stock. He signed a series of special teams players in the offseason. He devotes plenty of time and energy to special teams on the practice field, and he has said that the final few spots on the season-opening roster will go to players who excel on special teams. But the early returns were not particularly encouraging.

Oh, man, are these poor 'skins fans in for a rude awakening...

Saggysack
08-13-2001, 06:02 AM
I really really love that "He Never Learns" Marty, "I'm Just Here, Man"Jimmy, and the completely inept baffoons of Kurt and Mike are in Wash. It brings me extra joy because when I lived in Georgia I was hounded daily by a Skins fan named Scotty about Marty and Co. and their inability to get anywhere in the playoffs. Scotty just hated Marty and I can understand why but I sure would love to see that man just 1 more time again, but anyway it just bugged the poopoo out of me at the time but like the old saying goes, he who laughs last, laughs longest.

Archie F. Swin
08-13-2001, 07:14 AM
I listened to the game on the KCFX uplink (online). Its seems that Smoot tried to get in on every defensive play. That looks to be a positive for the rookie and the Redskins. He faired well against Snoop from what I could tell.

keg in kc
08-13-2001, 07:24 AM
Yeah, he did pretty well against Snoop. It was like watching two twigs play, almost. Then again, he was a first round pick, he should do well against Snoop at this point in time...

htismaqe
08-13-2001, 09:13 AM
and the Chiefs picked up yardage in large chunks

Marty always wanted to do that...too bad he was on the OTHER sideline!!! :D

KCTitus
08-13-2001, 09:16 AM
I really enjoyed seeing Donnell Bennett on that 'trick' 3rd and 1. He once again proved that he is the best short yardage guy in the game.

Kudos to Raye and Marty for going with Bennett on a key 3rd and 1.

Phobia
08-13-2001, 10:19 AM

Bob Dole
08-13-2001, 10:45 AM
He brought along respected special teams coach Mike Stock.

Hahaha... HAHAHA! Whew... HAHAHAHAHA, HAHA!

Bob Dole's side hurts.

Dartgod
08-13-2001, 11:23 AM
Bob - I was thinking the same thing. Respected by who???

Bob Dole
08-13-2001, 11:55 AM
<i>This message has been entered by a co-worker of Bob Dole.</i>

Bob Dole has been taken to a local emergency room in a straightjacket for treatment of ongoing maniacal laughter and excessive tearing of the eyes. We'll keep you posted regarding his condition.

morphius
08-13-2001, 12:11 PM
I'm still speechless about the Stock comment...

First Marty has to help him out because they were that bad, then quits. Then Gun has to help him out 2 seasons in a row, because they sucked that bad yet again.

Maybe they meant he is respected as a person, and not respected as a special teams coach.

KCTitus
08-13-2001, 12:23 PM
Most of the Skins faithful still believe. Most of the comments are ranging from, 'We didnt have Jeff George in there to throw the ball downfield' to 'We werent playing about 70% of our starters except for the first series'.

Little do they know that, no, they wont be throwing the ball downfield, Jeff George or not. Yes, those were their starters on Offense and Defense.

Cant fault them, though, I wouldnt have heard it the first year Marty was here either.

Phobia
08-13-2001, 02:02 PM
All the skins fans at the sportsbar I was at were pretty down on their staff. Most agreed with all my comments about the stooges. Of course, they are a bit removed from the situation being in Houston.

Herzig
08-13-2001, 02:09 PM
I think it was great that the Chiefs came out and played well. Let's be cautiously optimistic though folks...