PDA

View Full Version : Pictures Things I love about spring! v. OMGSNAKE! *pics*

Silock
04-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Found this absolute beauty in the backyard while taking the dog out. He's about 6 feet long, absolutely stunning. Sorry for the crappy pics. King snakes are absolutely my favorite, but this guy is awesome. I'm fairly certain it's the same one I rescued from the middle of the street last year, although it was about a foot shorter last year.

I wish I had a sound recorder, too, because I threw a little grass at it and it started shaking its tail like a rattlesnake and it really sounded like one, too!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/snake1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/snake2.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/snake3.jpg

I was going to pick him up and take better pics, but he's got a terrible disposition and kept snapping at me, so I figured I'd just take these and leave him be. Although, he's right outside the window and the cats have seen him, so they keep pawing at the glass and he keeps weaving back and forth trying to threaten them away LMAO

Gonzo
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Found this absolute beauty in the backyard while taking the dog out. He's about 6 feet long, absolutely stunning. Sorry for the crappy pics. King snakes are absolutely my favorite, but this guy is awesome. I'm fairly certain it's the same one I rescued from the middle of the street last year, although it was about a foot shorter last year.

I wish I had a sound recorder, too, because I threw a little grass at it and it started shaking its tail like a rattlesnake and it really sounded like one, too!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/snake1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/snake2.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/snake3.jpg

I was going to pick him up and take better pics, but he's got a terrible disposition and kept snapping at me, so I figured I'd just take these and leave him be. Although, he's right outside the window and the cats have seen him, so they keep pawing at the glass and he keeps weaving back and forth trying to threaten them away LMAO

:eek::eek::eek:

Call me a puss but snakes are not my thing. Kudos for saving him but F-THAT!

SBK
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
The best kind of a snake is a dead snake.

SNR
04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
That reminds me, I need to go buy some new boots.

wilas101
04-21-2008, 01:46 PM
My son and I went fishing yesterday evening at a farm pond and as we're walking up I tell him "keep an eye out for snakes". There are ALWAYS snakes there.

So what's he do? Promptly ignores me and does his thing until he decides to sit down and parks his butt about 3 inches from what I suspect was a water moccasin. They're thick there and his description after I got him to stop freaking out sounded right.

I think he just graduated his wild life "scared straight" program. Maybe next time I tell him to watch for something he'll do it.

Silock
04-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Nah, we've got a significant rodent problem. I live in the middle of the city, but there's a small forest behind my house, so I prefer to keep all the snakes and spiders alive because they eat the mosquitos, rabbits, mice and moles that tear up the yard and eat my vegetables.

It's much easier to keep the snakes alive than trying to flush out moles by myself.

KCChiefsMan
04-21-2008, 01:48 PM
My son and I went fishing yesterday evening at a farm pond and as we're walking up I tell him "keep an eye out for snakes". There are ALWAYS snakes there.

So what's he do? Promptly ignores me and does his thing until he decides to sit down and parks his butt about 3 inches from what I suspect was a water moccasin. They're thick there and his description after I got him to stop freaking out sounded right.

I think he just graduated his wild life "scared straight" program. Maybe next time I tell him to watch for something he'll do it.

ya, you may want to watch out for him a bit too. A bite from one of those sumbitches would be bad.

Silock
04-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Yeah, cottonmouths aren't anything to screw around with. They're sooooo aggressive. They're probably the only snake that I'd consider killing (apart from one that was trying to attack me, and only then if it was poisonous) before it did anything to me.

penguinz
04-21-2008, 01:49 PM

moron

wilas101
04-21-2008, 01:58 PM
ya, you may want to watch out for him a bit too. A bite from one of those sumbitches would be bad.

Yeah, cottonmouths aren't anything to screw around with. They're sooooo aggressive. They're probably the only snake that I'd consider killing (apart from one that was trying to attack me, and only then if it was poisonous) before it did anything to me.

oh... you guys are right about keeping an eye on him but at 11, having been fishing for as long as he can remember...... he knows better. Like most other outdoor accidents laziness and lack of respect for nature created that situation.

He was across the pond from me when it happened. He wasn't more than 10 feet from me after that.

His momma got kind of worked up about it but the fact was, he struck out on his own and chose to ignore everything he's been taught about walking around outdoors.

I'm grateful as hell that he didn't get bit but I don't feel sorry for him in the least.

xbarretx
04-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Nah, we've got a significant rodent problem. I live in the middle of the city, but there's a small forest behind my house, so I prefer to keep all the snakes and spiders alive because they eat the mosquitos, rabbits, mice and moles that tear up the yard and eat my vegetables.

It's much easier to keep the snakes alive than trying to flush out moles by myself.

EEWWWWWWW SPIDERS!!!! :deevee:

SNR
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
EEWWWWWWW SPIDERS!!!! :deevee:I agree. I'll put 12 burmese pythons and a few anacondas in my yard before I allow one ****in black widow to hang around my house. Those ****ers die IMMEDIATELY if I see their ugly asses.

Samson
04-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Black Rat Snake

Very common in KC and great mouse-eaters. Farmers love them in the barn, but not in the chicken coop...they're egg-eaters as well.

KCChiefsMan
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree. I'll put 12 burmese pythons and a few anacondas in my yard before I allow one ****in black widow to hang around my house. Those ****ers die IMMEDIATELY if I see their ugly asses.

when I lived in Lawrence, my roommate found a black widow in the basement. He kept it in a glass jar alive and I killed that f*cker the first chance I got.

Radar Chief
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
King snake? Or western rat snake?

http://www.gpnc.org/snakes.htm#List

Silock
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
It's most likely a rat snake, but (this doesn't show up in the picture) it's got red and yellow patterning on its back. I've never seen a rat snake with that pattern, but then I've never seen a king snake with such a subtle pattern, either. Probably rat.

Groves
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Looks like a black rat snake to me.

Radar Chief
04-21-2008, 02:44 PM
It's most likely a rat snake, but (this doesn't show up in the picture) it's got red and yellow patterning on its back. I've never seen a rat snake with that pattern, but then I've never seen a king snake with such a subtle pattern, either. Probably rat.

That sounds like the western rat snake. There are pictures at the link I posted.

Silock
04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
That sounds like the western rat snake. There are pictures at the link I posted.

Yup, that's it. That site needs to update it's "range" for those snakes, I'd say.

Pennywise
04-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Yep.

My cousin and I killed a 4ft. cottonmouth that was in a bush by the corner of his house last weekend.

When the weather gets warm and you see the turtles moving the snakes aren't far behind.

Game on.

seclark
04-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Yep.

My cousin and I killed a 4ft. cottonmouth that was in a bush by the corner of his house last weekend.

When the weather gets warm and you see the turtles moving the snakes aren't far behind.

Game on.

figured you'd show up in this thread, oh killer of the serpent.
sec

bogey
04-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Growing up I spent hours and hours a day in the woods playing by the creek. I saw tons of water moccasins/cotton mouths. I never got bit. As I tell my child, they're more afraid of you, then you are of them. King snakes are great to have around, just respect their space and they will keep your place clear of vermin.

Pennywise
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
As I tell my child, they're more afraid of you, then you are of them. King snakes are great to have around, just respect their space and they will keep your place clear of vermin.

BS.

I've never once heard a snake squeal like a girl when they run up on me.

seclark
04-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Growing up I spent hours and hours a day in the woods playing by the creek. I saw tons of water moccasins/cotton mouths. I never got bit.

good for you...i've seen water moccasins approach people aggressively. i'll kill them any chance i get.
king snakes/black snakes/etc are all right and do kill poisonous snakes. i've got some pics at home of a king snake killing and eating a copperhead. i think i've posted one of them here before.
sec

bogey
04-21-2008, 03:14 PM
BS.

ROFL If you've spent time in the woods in Missouri, you've likely been close to many snake. They screamed when they fled, but only dogs can hear their screams.

Radar Chief
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
BS.

:LOL: (http://75.125.205.90/BB/showpost.php?p=4127663&postcount=5)

I once shot a copper head with a shotgun blowing half it’s head off. The half that was still attached to the rest of the snake was pretty pissed about it and kept hissing and striking at me, with only half a head.
A couple more shots between jumping and squealing like a little girl and the ordeal was over.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-21-2008, 03:18 PM
A garden hoe would chop that thing up fine. :eek:

bogey
04-21-2008, 03:19 PM
good for you...i've seen water moccasins approach people aggressively. i'll kill them any chance i get.
king snakes/black snakes/etc are all right and do kill poisonous snakes. i've got some pics at home of a king snake killing and eating a copperhead. i think i've posted one of them here before.
sec

I wasn't clear, if I saw a water moccasin/cotton mouth close to my house, I'll shoot 'em. club 'em, cut their head off with a shovel, whatever. King snakes, black snakes, garden snakes, get a free ride.

seclark
04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I wasn't clear, if I saw a water moccasin/cotton mouth close to my house, I'll shoot 'em. club 'em, cut their head off with a shovel, whatever. King snakes, black snakes, garden snakes, get a free ride.

my grandfather used to keep black snakes in his barn to kill rodents/copperheads. there was one in there that was over 5' long. i used to go kidnap it and carry it over to the park where we lived at. it got away from me in the basement once and my dad had fish it out from behind the washing machine and it bit him on the hand. he beat my ass and made me take it back to the barn. after that, grampa wouldn't let me play with his snakes anymore.
sec

bsp4444
04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I rented a jackhammer this weekend to tear up an old concrete stoop (porch) that led to where a door used to be. When I had broke up the stoop, I was pulling the big chunks of rock out and out pops a snakes head. By the time I was done, I had taken three snakes out of th pile of rubble, the longest about 6 feet in length. I let them all go in my pasture.

keg in kc
04-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Assuming that's a western rat snake, a year or two ago, there was one of these suckers, about 5 feet long, parked in the middle of my walking trail underneath Quivira road, in OP, right smack dab in the middle of the day.

I gave it a wide berth. I do not like snakes. At all.

Taco John
04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
This place is going to hell. Page three already on a snake thread, and not a single penis joke.

Silock
04-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Assuming that's a western rat snake, a year or two ago, there was one of these suckers, about 5 feet long, parked in the middle of my walking trail underneath Quivira road, in OP, right smack dab in the middle of the day.

I gave it a wide berth. I do not like snakes. At all.

I e-mailed the dude that runs the site that Radar Chief posted. He confirmed it was a Western rat snake. Aggressive little bugger, but totally harmless.

SBK
04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
A couple years ago in my house in Duluth GA I killed a pygmie rattlesnake that got caught up in some duct tape on a box I was moving, then 2 days later I killed a copperhead on my back patio where I let my dog out to use the yard/toilet.

2 poisonous snakes in about 3 days was enough for me.

SNR
04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
This place is going to hell. Page three already on a snake thread, and not a single penis joke.I blame the new format. Things are just... classier around here lately. I have yet to see a good poop thread in a few weeks

alnorth
04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
sec

Yep, if someone hates snakes, they should leave the king snakes alone. Kings are not venomous, dont attack people, and they kill and eat other snakes.

catfish307
04-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, its a black snake. Or it may be one of them new strains of mean sons a bitches. The rattlehead copper moccasin.

DJ's left nut
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
I've got a lab that is curious to the point of stupid.

As such, I pretty much need to dispose of anything I see. A king snake is unlikely to hurt me, but he can damn sure wipe ol' Rommel's eye out. Rommel will leave him with no choice, that numb-nut would back him into the first corner he finds.

Sucks, because they sure are neat things to watch.

xbarretx
04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I agree. I'll put 12 burmese pythons and a few anacondas in my yard before I allow one ****in black widow to hang around my house. Those ****ers die IMMEDIATELY if I see their ugly asses.

:clap: good man! :thumb:

Buehler445
04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
non-poisonous snakes are good. Poisonous baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. I'm pretty good around bull snakes and garter snakes. Rattlesnakes....No.

On a side note, I once saw a garter snake eat a good sized toad. That was neat.

xbarretx
04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
great, looks like Whacking Day is soon upon us and i can finially use this!!!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~tst-lawrence/Simpsons_set/Whacking_Day.jpg

alnorth
04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
great, looks like Whacking Day is soon upon us and i can finially use this!!!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~tst-lawrence/Simpsons_set/Whacking_Day.jpg

You do realize that youve just jumped about 1 and a half notches up the nerd scale, right?

xbarretx
04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
You do realize that youve just jumped about 1 and a half notches up the nerd scale, right?

b/c i like the simpsons? it was the funniest picture i could find to refrence that Whacking day episode LMAO

:toast: