PDA

View Full Version : Elections No doubt--the Repubs want Hillary!

Carlota69
04-21-2008, 03:47 PM
By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer
Sun Apr 20, 12:01 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA - Could it be the "vast right wing conspiracy" is having second thoughts? Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton was endorsed Sunday by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, whose owner and publisher, billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife, personally funded many of the investigations that led to President Clinton's impeachment in 1998.

It was one of a handful of endorsements the New York senator has received from Pennsylvania newspapers before the state's primary Tuesday. Most of the state's major papers have endorsed Barack Obama.

In its endorsement, Tribune-Review editors said Obama is too inexperienced to be president and that his recent comments about bitter voters living in small towns showed a lack of respect for middle-class values.

"In sharp contrast, Clinton is far more experienced in government ó as an engaged first lady to a governor and a president, as a second-term senator in her own right," the paper said. "She has a real voting record on key issues. Agree with her or not, you at least know where she stands instead of being forced to wonder."

Clinton met with the Tribune-Review's editorial board, including Scaife, last month. Afterward, Scaife wrote an editorial titled "Hillary, Reassessed," declaring how impressed he had been by the former first lady.

"Her meeting and her remarks during it changed my mind about her," Scaife wrote.

In the 1990s, Scaife helped support conservative groups and publications investigating Bill Clinton's financial dealings and sex life.

Scaife spent $2.3 million to fund a series of articles by The American Spectator magazine that dug into Bill Clinton's behavior as governor of Arkansas.

The magazine reported that Clinton had asked state troopers to help procure women for him and that he had sexually harassed a state worker named Paula Jones. Jones's legal case against Clinton helped launch an independent counsel investigation that eventually exposed his relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

Hillary Clinton famously defended her husband at the time, saying the allegations were part of a "vast right-wing conspiracy" heavily funded by Scaife.

memyselfI
04-21-2008, 04:51 PM
I think they appreciate that she has balls and possibly wonder if Baaarack has the same.* Of course, they will not like that if she happens to be the nominee by some unthinkable course of events. But the fact that she goes to the enemies camp and comes out unscathed and in some instances with their slap on the back is rather remarkable.

She is going to appear on Keith Olbermann tonight. He's been a total Obama cheerleader so it should be test of her tenacity.

*I know I do.

HolmeZz
04-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't know why anyone's surprised. Even nuts like CCW, who had a disdain for Hillary when she was the frontrunner, are on her bandwagon.

Amusing bedfellows. When you've got the Coulters and the Limbaughs and the CCWs of the world on the same side, you must be doing something right.

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
There's no question that this Republican would prefer Sen. Clinton.

Not because I think she's more beatable, but if she can't be beaten she'd be more palatable.

HolmeZz
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Not because I think she's more beatable, but if she can't be beaten she'd be more palatable.

But I thought that was meme's reason for not supporting Obama.

IM SO CONFUSED

Adept Havelock
04-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Heh. As telling as if Soros had endorsed the Huckster.

Calcountry
04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Rodham>Hussein.

SBK
04-21-2008, 09:24 PM
There's no question that this Republican would prefer Sen. Clinton.

This is what I think as well. With Clinton you know what you're getting.

Mr. Kotter
04-22-2008, 08:18 AM
This is exactly as it appears to be....

Republicans "supporting" a Democratic candidate during the primary, that would be more beatable....in November. It's within the "rules," but it's still smarmy and disingenuous.

It's nothing more, or nothing less. Any attempt to read it as anything other than that is incredibly naive. :rolleyes:

Limbaugh handed Hillary Texas....this is yet another attempt by the right wing to drag this thing out, and to continue the disparagement of Obama. Period.

Radar Chief
04-22-2008, 08:25 AM
I don't know why anyone's surprised. Even nuts like CCW, who had a disdain for Hillary when she was the frontrunner, are on her bandwagon.

Amusing bedfellows. When you've got the Coulters and the Limbaughs and the CCWs of the world on the same side, you must be doing something right.

Ok, ya lost me. Who is CCW?

Adept Havelock
04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Ok, ya lost me. Who is CCW?

It's HolmeZz's new nickname for the perpetual sandyvag:

Chiefplanet's Contrarian Whore

Radar Chief
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
It's HolmeZz's new nickname for the perpetual sandyvag:

Chiefplanet's Contrarian Whore

Ah, gotícha. Thanks.