PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV This digital tv thing

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22571854/

I don't have a fancy digital tv - or even an "unfancy" digital tv. Mine is an old goldstar piece of crap that was super cheap when I was broke and it still works. So.... I haven't bothered to upgrade yet, and don't plan on it for another couple years (unless absolutely necessary).

Am I understanding things correctly that I will NOT need one of those converter boxes since I have cable (NO antenna)?

kstater
04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Link doesn't work. Have an extra http://

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
fixed

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
If you have digital cable (with a box), you're fine.

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
the cable comes out of the wall.....

BigMeatballDave
04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Just have your cable provider install a digital box. Cost should be minimal.

Baconeater
04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

Deberg_1990
04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Who the heck still uses rabbit ears for an OTA signal??

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 08:34 PM
The ****ers. Why didn't they say something when they were here a WEEK ago hooking up the new house. :mad:

stlchiefs
04-21-2008, 08:44 PM
If you're not using any type of cable box now, your TV will cease to work next February.

Really? I thought I was up on this thing and didn't even realize that. I thought if you had any cable, regardless of if it came straight through a wall or through a cable box you were fine. It was my understanding that only those using Rabbit Ears would be affected.

Please let me know if I'm wrong because if so I've told my parents wrong. Thanks

evolve27
04-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Only if you have "rabbit ears" will you need an analog to digital converter box by Feb. of next year. However, your cable or satellite TV system may be using digital technology as a more efficient way of delivering analog programming to you. If you have an analog television set(I assume you do), then you are probably not getting digital, even though the reception may be somewhat improved. Check with your cable or satellite TV provider to find out what kinds of programming you can receive, and what equipment you need to receive it.

Baconeater
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Really? I thought I was up on this thing and didn't even realize that. I thought if you had any cable, regardless of if it came straight through a wall or through a cable box you were fine. It was my understanding that only those using Rabbit Ears would be affected.

Please let me know if I'm wrong because if so I've told my parents wrong. Thanks

The way I understand it is if you don't have a digital TV or a digital cable box, you'll need a converter box.

EDIT: I'll be damned, it does just affect OTA users.

http://www.dtvanswers.com/dtv_affected.html

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I guess I'm going to have to call and sound stupid on the phone instead of just on the web. Dammit.

evolve27
04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I guess I'm going to have to call and sound stupid on the phone instead of just on the web. Dammit.

You're probably getting digital cable, so you won't need a converter box. Hence, that's why they didn't install one. I think they're just trying to make you think you'll need a converter box when in reality it doesn't help the image that much. Most TVs are analog anyways.

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 08:55 PM

that's what I thought...

Only if you have "rabbit ears" will you need an analog to digital converter box by Feb. of next year. However, your cable or satellite TV system may be using digital technology as a more efficient way of delivering analog programming to you. If you have an analog television set(I assume you do), then you are probably not getting digital, even though the reception may be somewhat improved. Check with your cable or satellite TV provider to find out what kinds of programming you can receive, and what equipment you need to receive it.

The tv is pretty old... so I'm sure it's analog.

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
You're probably getting digital cable, so you won't need a converter box. Hence, that's why they didn't install one.

That's what I'm hoping... but I'm sure that if I'm wrong - there wouldn't be a box within a thousand miles of SD. :grr:

Baconeater
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
that's what I thought...

The tv is pretty old... so I'm sure it's analog.

I guess you'll be fine. That's good news for me since I have 7 TVs in my house (none of them digital) and I wasn't happy about the prospect of having to purchase 7 converter boxes.

I don't understand why they're making such a big deal about this if it only affects OTA users.

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I guess you'll be fine. That's good news for me since I have 7 TVs in my house (none of them digital) and I wasn't happy about the prospect of having to purchase 7 converter boxes.

I don't understand why they're making such a big deal about this if it only affects OTA users.

7 boxes - ugh that would suck.

I'm sure they're making a big deal out of it to "encourage" people to go out and buy new tvs.

evolve27
04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
7 boxes - ugh that would suck.

I'm sure they're making a big deal out of it to "encourage" people to go out and buy new tvs.

You can get a $40 rebate towards a converter box and get more answers to your question by going to www.dtv.gov. I ordered a rebate and it should be coming in for an analog tv I have w/o a cable connection.

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
You can get a $40 rebate towards a converter box and get more answers to your question by going to www.dtv.gov. I ordered a rebate and it should be coming in for an analog tv I have w/o a cable connection.

Thanks!