PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto My new car

Dunit35
04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm finally getting a car. I didn't need to get one due to my roomates license being suspended. I've been driving his around for the past three months.

Instead of getting a loan and making my money situation even worse I'm buying my brothers 93 caddy el dorado for a grand. It's fully loaded, V8, sound system, mechanically sound...it just has 189K on it. But for a grand and me being a poor college student, can't pass it up.

Full coverage on it is only a 100 a month or liability is only 38.

The radio on it doesn't work and only plays cd's or MP3 players. It's electric and the wiring needs rewired. I'm thinking on getting sirius so I can listen to the KC games when the season starts. Who has it and any complaints about it?

eazyb81
04-21-2008, 09:22 PM
You should just steal Craash's car.

SLAG
04-21-2008, 09:24 PM
I like it, Pimp that old school caddy

get the SIRIUS Sat. Radio you will love it

Good deal, keep the oil and your wallet full to pay for Gas on that thing

BWillie
04-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm finally getting a car. I didn't need to get one due to my roomates license being suspended. I've been driving his around for the past three months.

Instead of getting a loan and making my money situation even worse I'm buying my brothers 93 caddy el dorado for a grand. It's fully loaded, V8, sound system, mechanically sound...it just has 189K on it. But for a grand and me being a poor college student, can't pass it up.

The radio on it doesn't work and only plays cd's or MP3 players. It's electric and the wiring needs rewired. I'm thinking on getting sirius so I can listen to the KC games when the season starts. Who has it and any complaints about it?

Soo you are buying a car for a grand and you are going to put full coverage on it?

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Soo you are buying a car for a grand and you are going to put full coverage on it?

Apparently, his college curriculum has yet to require accounting.

stlchiefs
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, stick with liability. No reason to shell out the extra cash for something worth 1k. Buy enough to CYA.

Dick Bull
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM

what are you talking about its smart to have full coverage on any car

with the $500 deductible on the $1000 dollar ride and the 100 a month to cover it it makes perfect sense
(psst you paid more than the car will be worth in month 5)

dtebbe
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I like it, Pimp that old school caddy

get the SIRIUS Sat. Radio you will love it

Good deal, keep the oil and your wallet full to pay for Gas on that thing

:grr: Some twenty sixes are in the future....:eek:

Miles
04-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah, stick with liability. No reason to shell out the extra cash for something worth 1k. Buy enough to CYA.

Uninsured and under insured motorist coverage would also be worth considering on top of basic liability.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-22-2008, 01:54 AM
Don't get full coverage on that car dude. You're throwing your money away. Be careful when you drive and save some dough. DEFINATELY add underinsured coverage.

Saggysack
04-22-2008, 02:48 AM
$100 a mos. for full coverage on a 1993 vehicle? Holy crap. I have 2 vehicles with FC that are 10 yrs newer for the same price.

Miles
04-22-2008, 03:14 AM
$100 a mos. for full coverage on a 1993 vehicle? Holy crap. I have 2 vehicles with FC that are 10 yrs newer for the same price.

Age and maybe location.

Saggysack
04-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Age and maybe location.

OKC probaly not much more than Wichita. Granted I do have 11yrs on him. I could list more reasons like deductible, driving record, married vs. singel, multiple vehicles, etc... but damn, it makes me wonder if that is the absolute lowest possible quote out there for him.

Insurance companies are such crap anyway with what they charge. A friend of mine gets the best rates from Farmer's for himself while I get the best rates from Progressive for myself. Both of us have 2 vehicles, married with no points against us.

Saggysack
04-22-2008, 03:58 AM

I can agree with that on the value. But what happens when someone at fault wrecks into you that doesn't have insurance? You either take them to court to try to recoup your losses, fix it yourself out of your pocket, or simply screw the pooch and start over with even higher rates from an accident being on your record.

Saggysack
04-22-2008, 03:59 AM
Don't get full coverage on that car dude. You're throwing your money away. Be careful when you drive and save some dough. DEFINATELY add underinsured coverage.

Solutions!

Miles
04-22-2008, 04:07 AM
OKC probaly not much more than Wichita. Granted I do have 11yrs on him. I could list more reasons like deductible, driving record, married vs. singel, multiple vehicles, etc... but damn, it makes me wonder if that is the absolute lowest possible quote out there for him.

Insurance companies are such crap anyway with what they charge. A friend of mine gets the best rates from Farmer's for himself while I get the best rates from Progressive for myself. Both of us have 2 vehicles, married with no points against us.

Yeah it could be a crappy quote. I wouldn't be surprised if they were charging him a good premium for having a V8 despite the lack of HP by today's standards.

Geico seemed to be about the best deal around when I searched about this time last year.

Miles
04-22-2008, 04:11 AM
I can agree with that on the value. But what happens when someone at fault wrecks into you that doesn't have insurance? You either take them to court to try to recoup your losses, fix it yourself out of your pocket, or simply screw the pooch and start over with even higher rates from an accident being on your record.

I have alway had the though that if the car isn't worth much don't get insurance to protect against wrecking it yourself. Though I would be pretty sure of protecting myself for medical whether its uninsured or under insured.

Saggysack
04-22-2008, 04:24 AM
Yeah it could be a crappy quote. I wouldn't be surprised if they were charging him a good premium for having a V8 despite the lack of HP by today's standards.

Geico seemed to be about the best deal around when I searched about this time last year.

You could very well be right on the motor.

Geico always has gave me high quotes. The last car I bought new in 2003 Geico gave me a quote of $270 per mos. while Progressive quoted me 138 for FC. Same stipulations in policies. It was a easy decision to make to say the least.

Miles
04-22-2008, 04:29 AM
You could very well be right on the motor.

Geico always has gave me high quotes. The last car I bought new in 2003 Geico gave me a quote of $270 per mos. while Progressive quoted me 138 for FC. Same stipulations in policies. It was a easy decision to make to say the least.

Interesting. I am about to renew my policy for the next year with geico but will check out the quotes from progressive first.

Saggysack
04-22-2008, 04:29 AM
I have alway had the though that if the car isn't worth much don't get insurance to protect against wrecking it yourself. Though I would be pretty sure of protecting myself for medical whether its uninsured or under insured.

My thought as well. I do however think situation does have to enter into the equation. He is a college student and obviously on a limited budget. Would it be easier for him to pay for FC on a monthly basis rather than chancing having a wreck and either having to come up with and pay what may be thousands in repairs or getting a different car. I dunno, maybe I shouldn't be thinking that every other driver out there on the road doesn't have insurance. Yeah, I'm a pessimist.

DenverChief
04-22-2008, 04:38 AM
V8... Who has it and any complaints about it?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/ap_gas_price1_070521_ms.jpg

Miles
04-22-2008, 04:40 AM
My thought as well. I do however think situation does have to enter into the equation. He is a college student and obviously on a limited budget. Would it be easier for him to pay for FC on a monthly basis rather than chancing having a wreck and either having to come up with and pay what may be thousands in repairs or getting a different car. I dunno, maybe I shouldn't be thinking that every other driver out there on the road doesn't have insurance. Yeah, I'm a pessimist.

I take a fairly pessimistic approach to insurance as well but that pessimism also tends to make me self insure more on the possibility of a more minor loss. For my own car I have full coverage but usually pick the highest deductible. Guess my overall strategy is to cover my ass against large losses and the smaller ones, if they ever happen, will be covered by my not paying as much for a policy.

I was thinking with a car like dunit's he would rarely recover that much past his deducible since the car is worth less on book than it is to him.

Miles
04-22-2008, 04:43 AM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/ap_gas_price1_070521_ms.jpg

Can't imagine how much that thing eats gas but its not as bad if only driving a few miles a day, which hopefully he is.

DenverChief
04-22-2008, 04:51 AM
Can't imagine how much that thing eats gas but its not as bad if only driving a few miles a day, which hopefully he is.

man the gas is killing me on a 4.0 I-6

Miles
04-22-2008, 05:02 AM
man the gas is killing me on a 4.0 I-6

I am getting roughly 25 mpg around the city on a 3.2 V6 with premium and its killing me. Can't really imagine how rough a less efficient engine would be.

Delano
04-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Smart move on the one hand: Paying it off with cash right outta the gate.

ChiefButthurt
04-22-2008, 07:22 AM

But extra liability coverage. When you hit something with that boat, you're sure to total it.

Spicy McHaggis
04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
I am getting roughly 25 mpg around the city on a 3.2 V6 with premium and its killing me. Can't really imagine how rough a less efficient engine would be.

The car I bought a few months ago required the switch up to premium. I anticipated the increase but it still crushes my spirit every time I see the total after I fill up.

DenverChief
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
The car I bought a few months ago required the switch up to premium. I anticipated the increase but it still crushes my spirit every time I see the total after I fill up.

I can't imagine...I spend $50 @ $3.34

Dunit35
04-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I'd prefer to get full just because of the 500 deductible. If I get liability and hit a deer or something stupid I'd have trouble paying the bigger deductible.

I live in a small town, maybe drive 5-10 miles a day. The insurence company I went to was Safecco or something. It was just to get an idea of the price and I knew the lady who does quotes there.

BWillie
04-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I'd prefer to get full just because of the 500 deductible. If I get liability and hit a deer or something stupid I'd have trouble paying the bigger deductible.

I live in a small town, maybe drive 5-10 miles a day. The insurence company I went to was Safecco or something. It was just to get an idea of the price and I knew the lady who does quotes there.

But your car is worth 1K. You are in essence self insured up to $500 and chances are if you hit ANYTHING, they will total your vehicle due to the age of the vehicle, depreciated value, and mileage. Just because you get an an accident that isn't your fault, don't expect your deductible to be waived. The other guy might be an asshole and lie out of his ass to his insurance cmopany and they won't pay you.

Insurance companies will screw you if your vehicle is declared a total loss. Trust me, I work for one. That is generally the biggest complaint we get, that they feel they didn't get a fair value for their Total Loss.

Just put $500 bucks in the bank, keep it there. Use it if you ever hit anything.

RockChalk
04-22-2008, 03:04 PM

100 a month on a 93 caddy seems a bit high to me...

i drive a '06 Ridgeline and pay about $900 yearly for full coverage

Dunit35
04-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Well, I'm 22 years old and this is the same place that my sister got quoted from and they were quite a bit higher then other places for her.

I looked it up on kbb under suggested retail value and it says about 3500-4000 for price.