PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are we on our way to becoming a cheap team?

Direckshun
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
I understand trading Allen, especially if he's threatening Freeney-money. It makes a load of sense to me.

But I've noticed that under Herm Edwards, we've plummeted way, waaaay under the cap, and don't look like we're making any plans to even remotely challenge approaching it.

Is this the Chiefs' future? The Royals financial strategy?

Just curious what you guys think on the issue.

thurman merman
04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
they are not on their way. they are already there.

Mecca
04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Maybe they are on their way to becoming a smart team?

It should have started last year with LJ.

xbarretx
04-21-2008, 09:46 PM
no, if were truly trying to rebuild then spending all our cash on a few high profile players while the rest of the team sucks isnt rebuilding. I would rather see this so we have room to sign the GOOD guys (hopefully) we are going to draft. that to me says there cleaning house to build the team, on the other hand i think they know they wont be a contender this year and probably most of next ergo why pay Allen a large chunk of the sallery cap to sit around get a few sacks while your team battles the Faiders for AFC WEST's crappiest team.

IF we trade allen and put the picks to good use then no there not cheap. if they trade allen, and then get good players then let them go (i.e. Royals) then yes.

eazyb81
Yep, just like the stupid Patriots.

Claynus
It would be amusing if Carl retired and then Whitlock's new target was Clark Hunt for being cheap.

TEX
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Maybe "cheap" until the NEW ARROWHEAD is finished. :hmmm:

Bob Dole
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I understand trading Allen, especially if he's threatening Freeney-money. It makes a load of sense to me.

But I've noticed that under Herm Edwards, we've plummeted way, waaaay under the cap, and don't look like we're making any plans to even remotely challenge approaching it.

Is this the Chiefs' future? The Royals financial strategy?

Just curious what you guys think on the issue.

Do you mean becoming a major league farm team like the Royals? You know...where we develop talent and then someone else outbids us when their rookie contract is up?

Shaid
04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Too early to tell. If we don't resign DJ next year, etc. then I'll start to get worried. (I actually think they should sign him long term this year to maximize their dollars as I think he could have a Pro Bowl year.)

I'm cautiously optimistic that we are starting to do things the right way. It might not be fun to let the high profile names sign with other teams but I think it'll pay off in a few years.

Fruit Ninja
04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
We have always been an average team. WE really havent been abad team for a while. I just feel that in 2008 we are going to be worse then 2007 and that bothers me. We should be looking to get better. I think trading Allen is a huge mistake. IMO, he's the anchor of our defense. Without him. WE are going to have our defense get ran the **** over.

Its not going to be pretty.

CanadaKC
04-21-2008, 10:18 PM
No to the question...we are more about learning from the Patriots...who build through the draft...and never overspend on players...hence they always avoid the very top of the draft board whenever they can...and trade down for multiple picks.

BigChiefFan
04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
We have always been an average team. WE really havent been abad team for a while. I just feel that in 2008 we are going to be worse then 2007 and that bothers me. We should be looking to get better. I think trading Allen is a huge mistake. IMO, he's the anchor of our defense. Without him. WE are going to have our defense get ran the **** over.

I agree '08 is going to be fugly.

Smed1065
04-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Maybe "cheap" until the NEW ARROWHEAD is finished. :hmmm:

I have the same opinion.

I feel that they are rebuilding because of a renovation, and it needed done 2 years ago as well.

Fruit Ninja
04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
No to the question...we are more about learning from the Patriots...who build through the draft...and never overspend on players...hence they always avoid the very top of the draft board whenever they can...and trade down for multiple picks.

Patriots avoid drafting high becuase they have been that damned good for a long time now. They used to draft very high when they were a horrible team. Actually they drafted Seymore at number 6, then from there, they have been pretty damned good. They just draft smart.

Guru
04-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Do you mean becoming a major league farm team like the Royals? You know...where we develop talent and then someone else outbids us when their rookie contract is up?

pretty much what I would have posted. Beat me to it.

BigChiefFan
04-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Patriots avoid drafting high becuase they have been that damned good for a long time now. They used to draft very high when they were a horrible team. Actually they drafted Seymore at number 6, then from there, they have been pretty damned good. They just draft smart.
They haven't been perfect, but they do a damn good job at investing a time and research into their draft picks. They also take a chance, now and then-drafting well can afford you that option.

This is a make or break draft for the Chiefs-no ****ing reaches, okay, Carla?

BigRedChief
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
They have always spent all their cap money. Last year was the first year that they didn't use all their cap money. Supposely $6 million.

I'm not ready to call them cheap or only interested in making money and not winning. We couldn't have spent enough money to make a difference this year.

J Diddy
04-21-2008, 11:22 PM

If the foundation is rotten you got to tear it up in order to build a new one

BigChiefFan
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
If the foundation is rotten you got to tear it up in order to build a new one I agree-I really wish Clark would have said he's done with status quo, but unfortunately we are left with these shitheads for at least another year. Hopefully they can make chickens, out of our chicken shit.:D

Rausch
04-21-2008, 11:29 PM

Perhaps the mindset is more important than the impact of one player.

Like it or not KC is an emasculated sports town. KU winning the big show in BBall just made half happy, half more pissed, and told all how much that town needed a winner.

The Royals are a cheap date when the g/f is out of town.

The Chiefs have become the girl in HS that everyone thought was hot back in the day but gained about 30 lbs and now anyone can bang her.

The simple fact is Herm has made a point of drafting guys that have attitude as well as talent. We don't need Rod Woodson, we need a Dion Sanders. We won't take the next LT but we'll pimp our LJ. This ship only gets turned around if the players we add have enough hubris to honestly believe their addition alone changes the final score.

The natural response is to talk about "thug players." "Thug players" hate the world and are just pissed off at people in general. Sounds like Jack Lambert to me.

And Herm can talk all he wants about watching tape but he makes his decisions on meeting with guys and getting a good feel for who they are. It's who he is. You can't tell me the guy who talks about "sweeping the corners of the porch" is just going to leave the character issue to chance and hope for talent to override motivation.

I'd argue Ryan is his pick. He's proud but polite. He's confident but not cocky. He has enough physical weaknesses to know he's got to study and be prepared come game day.

Add to that Carl has talked all offseason about how important the franchise QB is and how much an impact that player has.

Nein, I don't think we're dumping high salary guys to save the $$$. I think we're dumping guys not on board for the rebuild and who don't want to suffer through it...

Smed1065
04-21-2008, 11:32 PM
If the foundation is rotten you got to tear it up in order to build a new one

Damn termites.

CP is the deadwood IMO.

dtebbe
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
ON OUR WAY???? ROFL ROFL

patteeu
04-22-2008, 06:53 AM
I think that to some extent they are keeping their powder dry in anticipation of the opening of the like-new stadium when they will want to excite the fanbase into selling the place out (maybe with a high profile free agent signing or two on top of the rebuilt foundation).

But if they don't plan on spending their entire cap, I'd like to see them consider trading LJ and or TG. LJ may not have much value now after a poor year last year and a season ending surgery and TG is obviously getting old, but the cap-hit shouldn't be a real obstacle if they can find someone interested in either of them.

Spectre
04-22-2008, 07:02 AM
they are not on their way. they are already there.

I concur. Your team is ****ed.

Chiefnj2
04-22-2008, 07:23 AM
No. They aren't cheap. They just don't know how to spend the money. Last year Bober and Bell took home about 5 million total. That's pretty generous.

Coogs
04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Maybe they are on their way to becoming a smart team?

:toast:

Seem to be.