PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports MVP Kobe pleased with Lakers' progress, says he wants to stay put

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Lakers return to greatness is looking long term.

LOS ANGELES -- Kobe Bryant made clear Monday what's been, at the very least, a bit ambiguous for nearly a year: He "absolutely" wants to stay with the Lakers and is open to finishing his career with them.

This, after questioning the direction of the franchise during the offseason and criticizing the job performance of general manager Mitch Kupchak.

I love this team. If they want to win right now, I'm all for them. That's all I've said the whole time. We have a job to do here, so it's important to focus on what we're doing and not get distracted from that.
--Kobe Bryant

"I've always wanted to be here," Bryant said the day after the Lakers beat the Denver Nuggets 128-114 in their playoff series opener. "I just felt like I was in a position where I didn't really have a choice. They wanted to go in an opposite direction. My legs aren't as young as they used to be. Just let me know.

"I love the weather. I love my '63 drop-top Impala. I love the 405 [freeway]. I love my guys."

Bryant acknowledged he wouldn't have imagined things would have turned out this way late last May, when he publicly called the Lakers' front office a mess and demanded a trade, feeling he had been misled when he signed a seven-year, $136.4 million contract in July 2004. The Lakers haven't won a playoff series since.

"I've been sitting on this for four years now," he said. "After three or four years of not getting anything done, to see it today, it feels pretty damn good. It's been a hell of a ride."

As far as Kupchak goes, Bryant said his GM has gone from an "F" to an "A-plus."

"He believed in the draft picks he made, he had the patience," Bryant said.

Among the picks who have made significant impacts since Shaquille O'Neal was traded following the 2004 season are Andrew Bynum, Sasha Vujacic, Jordan Farmar and Ronny Turiaf.

And this season, there were the trades for Trevor Ariza and Pau Gasol. Ariza hasn't played since breaking his foot Jan. 20, but Gasol has been brilliant.

"I just think his skill set at his size is unmatched in this league," Bryant said of Gasol, who had 36 points, 16 rebounds and eight assists against Denver in Game 1.

Bryant said he didn't know if he thought he helped push Kupchak into action.

"Maybe. It takes pressure sometimes to make a diamond," Bryant said with a smile. "In hindsight, yeah, that was my strategy. I'm going to get my Phil Jackson on and say I planned it all along."

Bryant had harsh words for Lakers owner Jerry Buss and Kupchak last spring.

And now?

"Nah," he replied when asked if there were any lingering bad feelings toward anyone in the organization. "On the serious side, I learned a lesson, which is you have to separate business from the love of the game because there were a lot of decisions that were made business-wise that I wasn't happy with. I took a lot of the blame for a lot of the stuff they were doing. It didn't sit right with me. It still doesn't sit right with me. But you have to be able to separate that from the love that you have for the game of basketball and the respect that you have for your team."

Bryant and Buss met in Barcelona a few weeks after his trade demand, and he again told Buss he wanted out. Then, understanding the difficulty of trading someone of his ability, Bryant said all the right things entering training camp in October, but the peace was broken a few weeks later when Buss said he would "certainly listen to trade offers."

The situation was tenuous at best when the season began, and stories circulated throughout November concerning potential trade possibilities. The speculation stopped, Bryant stayed and the Lakers flourished, going 57-25 to earn the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference.

The 29-year-old Bryant, a leading candidate to win his first MVP award, has stated on several occasions that his 12th NBA season has been the most enjoyable, and did so again Monday.

He said he hasn't necessarily changed his mind about wanting to stay instead of wanting to leave.

"No, I just don't talk about it," Bryant said. "These are answers I've given all year long. I love this team. If they want to win right now, I'm all for them. That's all I've said the whole time. We have a job to do here, so it's important to focus on what we're doing and not get distracted from that.

"I don't want any big stories. The journey we've been on is fun. It's been a blast. With that being said, we play for titles. We want to win the championship. We'll be disappointed if we don't. But if it does happen, we'll regroup and go at it again. We've got some great pieces here. Now it's time to put it all together. We get that big fellow [Bynum] back down there and we'll really be rolling."

Bynum, though, appears to be a longshot for the playoffs. His left knee isn't 100 percent, and Jackson said his chances of playing this postseason are "remote."

Bryant is under contract through the 2010-11 season, but can opt out after next season. He said he hasn't thought about that. He opted out four years ago before signing a new contract.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 10:55 AM
GO LAKERS!!!!!

Sure-Oz
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
It helps that he finally has his scottie pippen

StcChief
04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
so when is NBA raising rim to 14 feet?

Anyong Bluth
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Is this news- why would you want to move when you ended up the 1 seed in the WEST- and they went out and managed to get Gausol for peanuts. I used to not be able to stand the guy even though he is/was retarded talented, but I think he's grown up a bit and realized the importance of being a team player more.

Once again proves the point that Kobe will always need a big man to really take a team to any real title chance.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Is this news- why would you want to move when you ended up the 1 seed in the WEST- and they went out and managed to get Gausol for peanuts. I used to not be able to stand the guy even though he is/was retarded talented, but I think he's grown up a bit and realized the importance of being a team player more.

Once again proves the point that Kobe will always need a big man to really take a team to any real title chance.

LMAO

Mr. Flopnuts
04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Did Kobe win the MVP?

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Did Kobe win the MVP?

He has been the MVP of the league the last 4 years running. The writers act like he's ****ing their daughters. What amazes me is every year the top players say he's the best in the league and they give it to somebody else. Have you ever seen what LeBron James or Kevin Garnett or just about any of the greats have to say about the guy? Almost all of the real greats have come out and said flat out he's the best player. They need to figure out another way to hand out the MVP award. The writers have proven over and over they have no business doing it. Most of the time they don't even have a top 5 or even top 10 player.

No it's not official yet but unofficially yes he's won his 4th MVP award.

bogey
04-22-2008, 11:22 AM
He has been the MVP of the league the last 4 years running. The writers act like he's ****ing their daughters. What amazes me is every year the top players say he's the best in the league and they give it to somebody else. Have you ever seen what LeBron James or Kevin Garnett or just about any of the greats have to say about the guy? Almost all of the real greats have come out and said flat out he's the best player. They need to figure out another way to hand out the MVP award. The writers have proven over and over they have no business doing it. Most of the time they don't even have a top 5 or even top 10 player.

Kobe deserves to be MVP, period.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-22-2008, 11:23 AM

LMAO Yeah, he's gotten a little roughed up over the years. Having that girl that begged to **** him claim rape didn't help.

Edit: I mean that shouldn't affect him getting the MVP or anything, but it's reality.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-22-2008, 11:27 AM
IMO Chris Paul is the MVP this year

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
IMO Chris Paul is the MVP this year

I can't tell you how much that means coming from a poster with Dirk in his avatar. Dirk isn't even a top 10 player. Talk about Kobe getting ripped off.

Mr. Plow
04-22-2008, 11:49 AM
What is this "NBA" thing?

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
What is this "NBA" thing?

It's the only sport not being destroyed by a another government probe. They call it the "Nothing Bout Anabolics" league. It's an Ebonics Thang.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I can't tell you how much that means coming from a poster with Dirk in his avatar. Dirk isn't even a top 10 player. Talk about Kobe getting ripped off.
hes more like top 5, and thats why he won the MVP last year, because hes not in the top ten, your a ****ing idiot

Mr. Flopnuts
04-22-2008, 12:06 PM
hes more like top 5, and thats why he won the MVP last year, because hes not in the top ten, your a ****ing idoit

Is that French? Pronounced like Benoit?

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 12:22 PM
hes more like top 5, and thats why he won the MVP last year, because hes not in the top ten, your a ****ing idiot

Wow aren't we hostile? LMAO I guess he scratches the top 10. I'll take it back, Top 5? I don't think so dude. Players I would take WAY ahead of Dirk.

Kobe
Lebron
KG
Chris Paul
Duncan
Tracy McGrady

There isn't a owner in the league that would pick him for their team if everyone started from scratch and they had a top 5 pick. The top 3 here would be the top 3 picked.

For the record your Mavericks don't have a chance in hell of winning a championship. Kobe and the Lakers have always OWNED that Maverick ass.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Is that French? Pronounced like Benoit?

He's European, that's why he likes Dirk.

Amnorix
04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I haven't seen much of the Lakers this year (hardly any), but Garnett has been the unquestioned leader in the single biggest turn around in NBA history. He's a very legitimate MVP candidate.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-22-2008, 12:27 PM
He's European, that's why he likes Dirk.
wrong that has nothing to do with it, i been a mavericks fan since i was a kid

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I haven't seen much of the Lakers this year (hardly any), but Garnett has been the unquestioned leader in the single biggest turn around in NBA history. He's a very legitimate MVP candidate.

LMAO. Sure, he is a top 3 player too. He certainly deserves consideration. Personally I don't think he will be close only because he plays on a team with loaded with franchise players. ****ing Celtics.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 12:33 PM

I'm sorry. You trying to make me feel bad for you now?

BTW did Cuban sell off HDnet MMA?

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 12:34 PM

That also explains your tainted view in thinking he is a top 5 player when he isn't.

Amnorix
LMAO. Sure, he is a top 3 player too. He certainly deserves consideration. Personally I don't think he will be close only because he plays on a team with loaded with franchise players. ****ing Celtics.

That may be. But under that theory, Bird, Magic and Kareem should never have won MVPs, right?

I dont' want to say KG deserves it over Paul or Bryant. I just haven't seen enough, or know enough about the NBA these days, to say -- but the turnaround in Boston is far and away MOSTLY because of KG.

bogey
You go BD!!

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
That may be. But under that theory, Bird, Magic and Kareem should never have won MVPs, right?

I dont' want to say KG deserves it over Paul or Bryant. I just haven't seen enough, or know enough about the NBA these days, to say -- but the turnaround in Boston is far and away MOSTLY because of KG.

No not really. Two franchise players is one thing. 3+ is another.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM

he made his own bed when he decided he couldnt live without some young, blonde poon in Colorado.

Not saying its right the way the writers think, but thats the reality of it.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 12:55 PM
he made his own bed when he decided he couldnt live without some young, blonde poon in Colorado.

Not saying its right the way the writers think, but thats the reality of it.

I agree, it's not right but it is what it is. Kobe has also been the MVP of the league 4 years running and how the writers vote has no basis in reality it's just popularity vote from those that matter the very least.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree, it's not right but it is what it is. Kobe has also been the MVP of the league 4 years running and how the writers vote has no basis in reality it's just popularity vote from those that matter the very least.

Yea, i wish that all sports post season awards were voted on by the players and coaches. Of course, that would be biased too, but at least it would be by peers and people who actually play the games.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Yea, i wish that all sports post season awards were voted on by the players and coaches. Of course, that would be biased too, but at least it would be by peers and people who actually play the games.

I agree. Players and coaches should vote for the awards handed out by the league and their ballot should be made public which would help with the bias.

Amnorix
04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
No not really. Two franchise players is one thing. 3+ is another.

Not trying to be a dink about it -- but what's a "franchise player" in your mind then?

KG and Kobe have been MVPs, have 3+ first team All-NBA awards each, and multiple second/third team All-NBA awards, many NBA Defensive team awards, etc.

Pierce and Allen have many all-star games between them, but VERY few all-NBA team awards (none as first team). Pierce doesn't even have a Second TEam All-NBA award to his credit.

So what is a "franchise player"?

But still, your point is taken -- three elite players is pretty nice. :D

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Not trying to be a dink about it -- but what's a "franchise player" in your mind then?

KG and Kobe have been MVPs, have 3+ first team All-NBA awards each, and multiple second/third team All-NBA awards, many NBA Defensive team awards, etc.

Pierce and Allen have many all-star games between them, but VERY few all-NBA team awards (none as first team). Pierce doesn't even have a Second TEam All-NBA award to his credit.

So what is a "franchise player"?

But still, your point is taken -- three elite players is pretty nice. :D

Yea I'll bet it's nice. Pierce, Allen and KG were all franchise players on the team their respecitive teams then they all came together. Then you start adding other great players. Celtics are as loaded as any team has ever been right now.

Amnorix
04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Yea I'll bet it's nice. Pierce, Allen and KG were all franchise players on the team their respecitive teams then they all came together. Then you start adding other great players. Celtics are as loaded as any team has ever been right now.

I guess that's true, but I'm not sure the best player on a mediocre team makes them a "franchise" player. Going back to the 80s era that I know better, I'd call Bird, McHale, Magic and Kareem "franchise players" -- which I describe as a team that you could legitimately build a championship team around. The rest -- though very good and having many, many all-star games between them -- the Worthys, DJs, Chiefs, Scotts, etc., were all supporting players.

But this is splitting hairs over a definition -- I acknowledge your point that KG may have had it easier than Kobe due to the surrounding talent. Being in an easier division also gave his team more wins than Bryan'ts team.

Keep in mind that the C's had to overcome a losing mentality, however, and to mesh together a bunch of players that weren't used to each other -- and did it in a hurry -- without fighting over the ball, etc.

eh, whatever. You take the MVP, I'll take winning the Finals -- that's the normal Celtics' way anyway!! ROFL

Mr. Arrowhead
04-22-2008, 01:27 PM
That also explains your tainted view in thinking he is a top 5 player when he isn't.
and thats why he won the MVP last year right, because hes not even a top ten player. Ya that makes sense

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I'll take winning the Finals -- that's the normal Celtics' way anyway!! ROFL

Not in 22 years...

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I guess that's true, but I'm not sure the best player on a mediocre team makes them a "franchise" player. Going back to the 80s era that I know better, I'd call Bird, McHale, Magic and Kareem "franchise players" -- which I describe as a team that you could legitimately build a championship team around. The rest -- though very good and having many, many all-star games between them -- the Worthys, DJs, Chiefs, Scotts, etc., were all supporting players.

But this is splitting hairs over a definition -- I acknowledge your point that KG may have had it easier than Kobe due to the surrounding talent. Being in an easier division also gave his team more wins than Bryan'ts team.

Keep in mind that the C's had to overcome a losing mentality, however, and to mesh together a bunch of players that weren't used to each other -- and did it in a hurry -- without fighting over the ball, etc.

eh, whatever. You take the MVP, I'll take winning the Finals -- that's the normal Celtics' way anyway!! ROFL

Obviously I HATE the Celtics. Overcoming that team back in the day was unbelievably frusterating. I just hope this doesn't end up being the same scenario. I do believe the Lakers are setting up for greatness long term. As long as we pull ahead of the Celtics in the end for the all time NBA championships it will all be good. :evil:

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
and thats why he won the MVP last year right, because hes not even a top ten player. Ya that makes sense

Wow aren't we hostile? LMAO I guess he scratches the top 10. I'll take it back, Top 5? I don't think so dude. Players I would take WAY ahead of Dirk.

Kobe
Lebron
KG
Chris Paul
Duncan
Tracy McGrady

There isn't an owner in the league that would pick him for their team if everyone started from scratch and they had a top 5 pick. The top 3 here would be the top 3 picked.

For the record your Mavericks don't have a chance in hell of winning a championship. Kobe and the Lakers have always OWNED that Maverick ass.

Are you even bothering to read what I am posting or is this all about you and the spilling of your emotional baggage?

The Mavericks have never been anybody bro. They are not ever going to be either until they drop that outshoot everyone mentality and start to play D.

Fruit Ninja
04-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Once again proves the point that Kobe will always need a big man to really take a team to any real title chance.lol, Kobe realized this since the Shaq days. After Shaq left, he had NO ONE that could make an open basket. He was playing with Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom who's head was NOT into basketball. I cant blame LO though, his 9 month old son died. That shit would devastate me for a while.

Now Kobe finally has team mates he can trust and guys that can make an open basket. Its never been that Kobe was a all me player. It was just him.

Fruit Ninja
04-22-2008, 01:42 PM

I am sure Ray Allen and Paul Peirce had nothing to do with it.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-22-2008, 01:45 PM
The Mavericks have never been anybody bro. They are not ever going to be either until they drop that outshoot everyone mentality and start to play D.
you are prolly right, if you havent noticed all my teams are all chokers lol Mavs and chiefs.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 01:51 PM
you are prolly right, if you havent noticed all my teams are all chokers lol Mavs and chiefs.

Don't feel bad dude. Lakers are the only thing I got going besides some small glimmer of hope that the Sharks will win tonight and go on to win the Stanley Cup.

Football - Chiefs
Baseball - Giants, starting to convert to an A's fan 1st after the Bonds debacle.
Hockey - Sharks
Basketball - Lakers

Gotta tell you I spend the majority of my sports viewing time now watching MMA. Starting to get into watching Bull riding as well.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 02:02 PM
There is some KG lovefest

Garnett wins NBA's Defensive Player of Year Award

Kevin Garnett was named the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year after leading the Celtics to the biggest one-season turnaround in NBA history.

NEW YORK -- Boston's Kevin Garnett won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year Award on Tuesday. He beat out Denver's Marcus Camby and Houston's Shane Battier.

The 6-foot-11 forward led the Celtics with 9.2 rebounds per game. He added 18.8 points, 1.2 blocks and 1.4 steals.

Garnett helped the Celtics to league-best records of 66-16 (.805) overall and 31-10 (.738) on the road. Boston held opponents to just 90.3 points (second in the NBA) after allowing 99.2 points per game a season ago. The Celtics had the biggest one-year turnaround in NBA history.

Garnett received 493 points, including 90 first-place votes. Camby, who won the award last season, finished second with 178 points and Battier had 175 points.

Amnorix
04-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Not in 22 years...

Tell me about it. But when they were winning Championships all those years ago, it was rare for them to have the MVP player. They usually took hom ethe prize while Wilt, West, or whomever got the MVP.

Amnorix
04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Don't feel bad dude. Lakers are the only thing I got going besides some small glimmer of hope that the Sharks will win tonight and go on to win the Stanley Cup.

Football - Chiefs
Baseball - Giants, starting to convert to an A's fan 1st after the Bonds debacle.
Hockey - Sharks
Basketball - Lakers

Gotta tell you I spend the majority of my sports viewing time now watching MMA. Starting to get into watching Bull riding as well.

I'm doing better. Boston sports is SICK with success. Hell, BC won the NCAA hockey tournament for Chrissakes (not that I've ever watched college hockey). Other than the Bruins, everywhere you turn things are good.

:eek:

Amnorix
04-22-2008, 02:59 PM
There is some KG lovefest

Garnett wins NBA's Defensive Player of Year Award

Yeah, saw that. According to the post-seasona ward predictions I saw, this was the biggest slam dunk of them all. Of the 30 or whatever ESPN writers, only 2 picked someone other than KG for this award.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm doing better. Boston sports is SICK with success. Hell, BC won the NCAA hockey tournament for Chrissakes (not that I've ever watched college hockey). Other than the Bruins, everywhere you turn things are good.

:eek:

Screw Boston you liberal ****s.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah, saw that. According to the post-seasona ward predictions I saw, this was the biggest slam dunk of them all. Of the 30 or whatever ESPN writers, only 2 picked someone other than KG for this award.

Great player. Wish he was wearing purple and gold.

vailpass
04-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Great player. Wish he was wearing purple and gold.

FU! :) Getting Gasol was a HUGE score for the Lakes. KG to LA is just plain greedy but it would surrond Phil with all-world talent and let him get back to his likeable "all zen cuz I don't have to coach" self.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2008, 04:57 PM
FU! :) Getting Gasol was a HUGE score for the Lakes. KG to LA is just plain greedy but it would surrond Phil with all-world talent and let him get back to his likeable "all zen cuz I don't have to coach" self.

Well it's a little late now. Glad we kept Bynum, I think. Hope that knee heals it's like the eternal injury.

Anywhere but Boston would have been a good alternative. If the Celtics never won a title again it would be just fine by me.